Deaths of kids raise oversight questions

Relatives are among those seeking independent reviews of DCS cases Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? Maybe You Need to Schedule a Service Appointment or Test Drive? Tom Wood Volkswagen, Indiana's ... Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
sealionindy

United States

#1 Feb 18, 2008
This all goes back to education...why press kids when the parents are the custodians.
HM Smith

Tewksbury, MA

#2 Feb 18, 2008
What does "ombudsmen" mean? Tough decision are hard to make and I am sure that the people at DCS can't read minds or perdict the furture. Children are USUALLY better off with the natural parent. Work on changing the hearts of the parents. I am sure improvment can be made at DCS just like every where else. DCS should make sure they have good people with the right kind of heart for this type of work. Also hind sight is always 20/20.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#3 Feb 18, 2008
OK a question for holier than thou Jimmie Bailey. Where the HELL were you and the rest of the family? Yes the State is partly to blame, but it starts at HOME FIRST with the family.
Paul

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Feb 18, 2008
Blame everyone but the parents.
pass juror

Carmel, IN

#5 Feb 18, 2008
A agency investigating itself--do you think that they will admit there mistakes. It as dumb as having criminals investigate themselves. These deaths are a tragic. Payme, the judge and the supervior in TaJanay's case should be tried for placiong the child in that enviroment.
Ronnie

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Feb 18, 2008
here is an interesting observation...take a ride past a township school at dismissal time. A line of taxis are there to take kids home. They are paid by the schools to take kids back to hotels OUTSIDE their school area because their mom's got put out of their government housing and now they are in temp residence in cheap hotels paid for by the government too.

What exactly do you have to do to get kicked out of government section 8 housing and wouldn't that be just cause for neglect of a dependent and take those kids away?
anna

AOL

#7 Feb 18, 2008
In theory, this is a wonderful concept. In reality, it is only a concept. What will reviews do to lessen or eliminate children's deaths? It all comes down to a single decision to place a child back in a home that is unsafe, at best. This key decision is made by a supervisor and a worker - sometimes with no regard to reports by service agencies or little direct contact with the child. Sometimes removal of a child is dependent upon the kind of day the supervisor and the worker is having. No amount of extra training or money thrown at the agency will remedy this - supervisors and workers need to be help accountable for the consequences of thier decisions - that is the only way the system is going to prevent child deaths within the agency. As the number of child fatalities grows despite the money and number of caseworkers added to the monster Agency nothing is really being done to actually PROTECT the kids. Take politics OUT of child protection, remove the emphasis on money and on easy fixes and things might just improve. I am for anything that makes the Agency more accountable for decisions on all levels.
INDY

Carmel, IN

#8 Feb 18, 2008
pass juror wrote:
A agency investigating itself--do you think that they will admit there mistakes. It as dumb as having criminals investigate themselves. These deaths are a tragic. Payme, the judge and the supervior in TaJanay's case should be tried for placiong the child in that enviroment.
I honestly do not believe that Payne should be investigating his own people. I believe that Payne covers up alot of things that his dept. does wrong. HE DOES NEED A WATCHDOG.
conflict

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Feb 18, 2008
The star must investigate a serious conflict. Years ago, Mr Brizzi conducted an investigative war against FSSA when there was another terrible situation of a child death. This was when Mitch Daniels was running for governor and he used it against the former governor.

NOW, that Mitch is governor, Brizzi wont investigate FSSA.

The conflict is: MR Brizzi's wife, currently has a contract with FSSA, with none other than Payne himself.

This is a HUGE conflict!

No wonder the pastor quoted in he article is upset Officials are not acting in the best interest of the children
globob9

Elmwood Park, IL

#10 Feb 18, 2008
Children learn what they live....Most child abusers were abused.. It should be a requirement anymore to become a parent and go through psychologically testing to see if one is fit.. It takes more than 1 or both parents to raise children, so the parents are responsible first, but if they are declared not fit then the State needs held responsible.
Reality Check

Berwyn, IL

#11 Feb 18, 2008
Ronnie wrote:
here is an interesting observation...take a ride past a township school at dismissal time. A line of taxis are there to take kids home. They are paid by the schools to take kids back to hotels OUTSIDE their school area because their mom's got put out of their government housing and now they are in temp residence in cheap hotels paid for by the government too.
What exactly do you have to do to get kicked out of government section 8 housing and wouldn't that be just cause for neglect of a dependent and take those kids away?
Away to where? Institutions for kids are horrible at best. Foster care is too often worse than the situation children are living in with their families. The state makes a lousy parent!
advocate

AOL

#12 Feb 18, 2008
Cover-ups. Time to deal with the abuse the system is allowing when it knows there is abuse in the home. The cycle continues when there is no plan of action to deter the problems at all ends of the spectrum.

An ombudsman was and is needed. Why wait. Present a legislative bill and stop the madness.

My heart goes out to the children placed in situations where there is known neglect, abuse and violence taking place and the system looks the other direction.

Everyone is to blame when you do nothing.
mark

United States

#13 Feb 18, 2008
Another excuse to take money from the populace for the sake of the betterment of all.
Info

AOL

#14 Feb 18, 2008
DCS is telling me that a man raised in prison from the age of 14-32 for raping a woman at knife point with other children present will obtain a child he has never met by default. Once DCS terminates the mother the FELON gets the child by dafault even though he has only been out of jail for 5 months in 18 years - long enough to create the child and then back to jail. DNA testing was done while he was in prison and he didn't want claim to him until after the DNA testing but now wants to be daddy and CPS says they can't stop him. While out on probation in 01 he signed a paper stating if he had intimate relations with a woman he was to tell them he was a rapist on probation (number 28 on the sheet) but that was never done and a 5 year old little boy was created. A little boy that does not know him. IF..IF..IF DCS would take the time to go to Judge Altice's court and read his file they will see he was violent all the years he was in prison but they do not go that far to ensure safety. This story is not being fabricated, this is an active ongoing case right now. If you want more details email "SAVINGELIJAH@AOL.COM " and you can have all the facts. To take a child from one sexual predator and to give him to another is unexceptable. The courts have not give this child to this man but the "claim" they cannot stop the process. The courts are to be to the "BEST INTEREST OF THE CHILD" - and if that TRULY be the case how can they consider a sexually violent predator/felon? This man can't even contain his temper in the court room and that is ignored.
Scooby Doo

Oak Park, IL

#15 Feb 18, 2008
I really don't have a problem with having an independent source to be able to audit DCS at will; it might be a good check and balance that is needed.

However, I am astounded, truy astounded that the Rev. Bailey blames DCS utterly and completely for the death of the child.

This chld was the 2nd generation of the foster care system. Her mother was born on drugs, taken away from her grandmother, put in foster care and bounced in and around the system.

And we're all surprised that Mom couldn't take care of the child? That Mom made horrible decisions about men in her life? That Mom was not educated and lived in utter poverty and squallor?

Where was the good Rev for the last twenty some odd years?

“Nosey just like you”

Since: Feb 08

where I lay my head

#16 Feb 18, 2008
Ronnie wrote:
Do you have a clue on how many children die, are raped, neglected, tortured, in foster care? How many of these parents were raised by the foster care system? It's a vicous cycle and the State has no answer on how to correct it.

A "village" raised us, the Gov. took that away from the people. Lawsuits have made it impossible for others to correct wrong doing that they see of todays children. If we do not get back to the basics of rearing our children with respect and teaching them survival skills of reality we are going to become a 3-world country to our own children.
worried

Carmel, IN

#17 Feb 18, 2008
Indy Ike wrote:
OK a question for holier than thou Jimmie Bailey. Where the HELL were you and the rest of the family? Yes the State is partly to blame, but it starts at HOME FIRST with the family.
My thoughts exactly!
Info

AOL

#18 Feb 18, 2008
I am not convinced DCS would make such a horrible mistake but I am taking 100% precautions in case. If you want to help possiby save a 5 year old little boy named Elijah please contact me. I am leaving no stone unturned. Lets not allow another Elijah Simpson - they child died at the hands of an evil person. We need to help DCS look at the lives of these children and not about protecting the "rights" of the DNA donars. It should be about the right of a child to LIVE.
worried

Carmel, IN

#19 Feb 18, 2008
anna wrote:
In theory, this is a wonderful concept. In reality, it is only a concept. What will reviews do to lessen or eliminate children's deaths? It all comes down to a single decision to place a child back in a home that is unsafe, at best. This key decision is made by a supervisor and a worker - sometimes with no regard to reports by service agencies or little direct contact with the child. Sometimes removal of a child is dependent upon the kind of day the supervisor and the worker is having. No amount of extra training or money thrown at the agency will remedy this - supervisors and workers need to be help accountable for the consequences of thier decisions - that is the only way the system is going to prevent child deaths within the agency. As the number of child fatalities grows despite the money and number of caseworkers added to the monster Agency nothing is really being done to actually PROTECT the kids. Take politics OUT of child protection, remove the emphasis on money and on easy fixes and things might just improve. I am for anything that makes the Agency more accountable for decisions on all levels.
You are probably right. The big fix for this is the need for more Child Advocates. They do have direct contact with the children on a monthly basis. They are the ones that can be counted on report back to the courts on how the child is doing and how the child feels. This "watchdog" program is needed but even more so, we need more volunteers in the Children's Advocacy program. Too many children do not have an Advocate working for them and looking out for their best interest simply because there are not enough volunteers. Everyone on this forum has an opinion and wants things to change--make a difference---volunteer!
Scooby Doo

Oak Park, IL

#20 Feb 18, 2008
Info wrote:
DCS is telling me that a man raised in prison from the age of 14-32 for raping a woman at knife point with other children present will obtain a child he has never met by default. Once DCS terminates the mother the FELON gets the child by dafault even though he has only been out of jail for 5 months in 18 years - long enough to create the child and then back to jail. DNA testing was done while he was in prison and he didn't want claim to him until after the DNA testing but now wants to be daddy and CPS says they can't stop him. While out on probation in 01 he signed a paper stating if he had intimate relations with a woman he was to tell them he was a rapist on probation (number 28 on the sheet) but that was never done and a 5 year old little boy was created. A little boy that does not know him. IF..IF..IF DCS would take the time to go to Judge Altice's court and read his file they will see he was violent all the years he was in prison but they do not go that far to ensure safety. This story is not being fabricated, this is an active ongoing case right now. If you want more details email "SAVINGELIJAH@AOL.COM " and you can have all the facts. To take a child from one sexual predator and to give him to another is unexceptable. The courts have not give this child to this man but the "claim" they cannot stop the process. The courts are to be to the "BEST INTEREST OF THE CHILD" - and if that TRULY be the case how can they consider a sexually violent predator/felon? This man can't even contain his temper in the court room and that is ignored.
That truly sucks.

However, I don't think being a felon per se terminates your parental rights. It doesn't appear to me that the father should be raising the child either, but what is the court supposed to do?

It's a sticky line to cross....(terminating rights because Dad is felon)...you really don't want the State being able to dictate lifestyle... or what is next? Losing your child because the State finds out you don't let them eat meat? Silly example I know, but still, once we allow the State to dictate this kind of stuff at will, THEN you will see an even greater problem.

And I am so very sorry for you and this situation. I am a foster parent, and my husband and I have had to turn children back to their parents when we believed the child wouldn't get the follow up care they needed and it is horrible to live through. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have an actual relative/loved one returned like is in your situation.

You need to get an attorney and find the father unfit...if you can afford the $200.00 an hour to do so.:-(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band coming to Ba... 35 min Truth 6
A Thing To Do in Indianapolis 4 hr athingtodotoday 1
Xbox 360 Modding/Flashing Service $30.00 (Jul '10) 11 hr paxson233 20
Vote to outlaw whittieeee Christmas 12 hr Alonzo X 10
Sears adds Indiana to closing list (Dec '11) 17 hr storm warning 11
Terry Moore-graduate of perry meridian? (Dec '08) Fri josmith281 10
Flu worries prompt more Indiana hospitals limits Fri fgufk 1
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web