Weight-loss icon rocks Lawrence school

Weight-loss icon rocks Lawrence school

There are 69 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 14, 2008, titled Weight-loss icon rocks Lawrence school. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? Maybe You Need to Schedule a Service Appointment or Test Drive? Tom Wood Volkswagen, Indiana's Premier VW Dealer, Can Do It All Come in and Test Drive the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Try a veggie seriously

Indianapolis, IN

#45 Mar 14, 2008
I know it takes a huge-Hoosier leap-of-faith to order a 6" veggie with no mayo or cheese... but you'll be surprised how filling it is.
I know I know - "WTF is there in a Subway if there's no meat, cheese, or mayo?!" Trust me I know! But they're not bad. If you're serious about losin' weight, try to cut back to a 6" veggie at lunch and see if you can handle it. It's gonna take effort, but you'll be surprised how far you get without freaking out on a triple whopper between two big macs (aka - your butt).
tit for tat

Lebanon, IN

#46 Mar 14, 2008
Try a veggie seriously wrote:
I know it takes a huge-Hoosier leap-of-faith to order a 6" veggie with no mayo or cheese... but you'll be surprised how filling it is.
I know I know - "WTF is there in a Subway if there's no meat, cheese, or mayo?!" Trust me I know! But they're not bad. If you're serious about losin' weight, try to cut back to a 6" veggie at lunch and see if you can handle it. It's gonna take effort, but you'll be surprised how far you get without freaking out on a triple whopper between two big macs (aka - your butt).
Oh boy...not we gotta listen to the bean fartin' vegans!!!
UGH

Indianapolis, IN

#47 Mar 14, 2008
Obese Lazys Listen wrote:
I prefer to continue to be smart, eat healthy, exercise, and have self-respet in order to NEVER get fat. Never have, never will.
NEVER say Never...
Pandora

United States

#48 Mar 14, 2008
I prefer to continue to be smart, eat healthy, exercise, and have self-respet in order to NEVER get fat. Never have, never will.
Good for you Mr. Perfect!
Leilla

United States

#49 Mar 14, 2008
I Love you Jared!
INDYGIRL

Bridgeport, WV

#50 Mar 14, 2008
I like the Subway Veggie Delight- it really is good. I usually take it home and use a reduced calorie dijonaise and lowfat cheese. I am really proud of Jared and his ability to keep it off, and I am glad his is making some money to boot.

“God Bless America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#51 Mar 14, 2008
Jane Doe wrote:
What a good example he has shown!! Shaquille O'Neal had a short lived (unfortunately)show on where he travelled to schools in Florida working with obese kids. It was a good show and kids could relate to him easily. They also worked with a dietician, their families, and exercise support. We need more people like Jared and Shaq or our young people are going to have numerous health problems.
Shaq is also a cop. Good he working with kids.
Evansville

Ravenna, MI

#52 Mar 14, 2008
Way to go Jared. Thanks for giving back to your school and to the kids.
Ernie

Indianapolis, IN

#53 Mar 14, 2008
Fearless and Happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you bring race into this thread?
Just commenting on what a shock it must have been for Jared. When he went to Skiles it was 90% middle class white, now it's 85% subsidised black. When Jared was there it was one of the best schools in Marion County, now it's one of the worst!
thrtnstars

Prospect, OH

#54 Mar 14, 2008
He is from Indy wrote:
<quoted text>
He's from Indy. There are plenty of people around here who went to high school with him. They will tell you that he was in fact fat. His dad is actually still a doctor working in Indianapolis. Once in a while you will even see Jared in Broad Ripple at the bars. Jared and his story are very real.
Yes this whole weight loss thing happened when he was a student at IU.
Hey

Noblesville, IN

#55 Mar 14, 2008
Fearless and Happy, you need some friends. Good lord boy talk to a living person not a computer screen. You must have a dozen posts on that forum.
wow

Duncan, OK

#56 Mar 14, 2008
I'm just in shock that everyone is so negative about this. Jared, yes is promoting Subway because it's how he lost his weight! But at least he's standing for healthy living rather than taking your kids to McDonald's after school, where they come home, maybe do their homework, then talk on the phone, internet, or play video games all night! And for those of you that keep going on and on and on about carbs... there's a reason why the Atkins diet went bankrupt... people NEED carbs to burn weight. Too many carbs can, yes, be a bad thing... but no carbs to low carbs is worse than you think. That bread on the subs aren't going to kill your diet.

Since: May 07

Clayton, IN

#57 Mar 14, 2008
I'd venture to say that the "Doc" who posted is not a doctor. It is funny to me "Doc" how in my family, we eat the same things and are close to the same activity level and yet a couple struggle with their weight and the rest of us don't. Health issues, metabolism, medications, can all play a part in weight loss or weight gain. I suffered malnutrition a couple years ago eating the exact same things as my husband, "Doc"...and then found out there were multiple health problems that caused it.

And to anyone who truly wants to insure against their children becoming obese, studies have shown that babies who are breast fed for 2 years have ZERO chances of becoming obese UNLESS they have thyroid or similar health issues. So, "Doc" how do you account for that in your "it's all so easy" theory of things?
just so ya know

Jeffersonville, OH

#58 Mar 14, 2008
mel wrote:
The problem with this whole thing is you people really believe this guy! Maybe he really never weighed what he claims, maybe he never even went to Sub Way. It's a commercial people, just a commercial to sell sandwiches.
He's local. A lot of us know and remember him from school. He was memorable because of his enormous size. It's true he went to Subway. Often. Maybe the problem with you is you are a doubter.
just so ya know

Jeffersonville, OH

#59 Mar 14, 2008
tit for tat wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy...not we gotta listen to the bean fartin' vegans!!!
You fart too! Go to yucky.com It's a Nick site for kids. We all have a quart of gas every day and burt or fart 11-15 times/24 hours. Listen to the burping and farting noises there.

Since: Nov 07

Indianapolis, IN

#60 Mar 14, 2008
Does anyone ever read all of these venomous letters? I used to really like Indianapolis until I started reading all of these IndyStar comments. There are even people from out of state participating in this stoning of people.

Jared did eat more than he should have. No one argues that point. He did lose a massive amount of weight. He lost more weight than my total weight! Give the guy some "atta-boys" for losing all of that weight and encouraging others to do the same.
lighten up

Decatur, IL

#61 Mar 14, 2008
Alrightguy123 wrote:
Does anyone ever read all of these venomous letters? I used to really like Indianapolis until I started reading all of these IndyStar comments. There are even people from out of state participating in this stoning of people.
Jared did eat more than he should have. No one argues that point. He did lose a massive amount of weight. He lost more weight than my total weight! Give the guy some "atta-boys" for losing all of that weight and encouraging others to do the same.
I agree. What's with all the nasty and negative remarks? Some people will find a way to make a negative out of a positive. I didn't know there were that many unhappy people out there or content people that mistakenly think they are flawless. Also, many people that enjoy spreading/repeating rumors and kicking people when they are down. Hope it is not a true representation of our society. That thought scares me.
SAS

AOL

#62 Mar 14, 2008
You have GOT to be under the age of 40. Get back with us when you've hit midlife and your body rebels, no matter how you "continue to be smart, eat healthy, exercise and have self-respect".
Wow

Troy, MI

#63 Mar 14, 2008
What a bunch of jerks. You people are very sad individuals.
Shhhhh

Reston, VA

#65 Mar 14, 2008
If he really did lose weight by eating Subway, that's awesome, however, he was at Lulu's on Wednesday night with his friends. One of his friends said he had GB surgery..so who knows.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carrier moving jobs to Mexico in spite of Trump... 4 min Trumped Carrier W... 5
Loose lips sink subs 1 hr All Talk Donnie 2
Manafort, Stone Turn Over Russia Documents to S... 1 hr Trump Lawyers Up ... 2
Fox News 2 hr Buh Bye Sean 25
Jeff Sessions is an Evil Little Elf 2 hr Fire this crook 5
Mike Flynn Lied to Pentagon on Security Clearan... 13 hr Lock Em Up 3
Kushner failed to disclose ties to Soros, and o... 13 hr Drain the Swamp 1

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance