Honda can soon call Greensburg 'home'

Honda can soon call Greensburg 'home'

There are 45 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 28, 2008, titled Honda can soon call Greensburg 'home'. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The new Honda plant is being built near Greensburg, but it's soon to become part of Greensburg.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
HiRode

United States

#1 Jan 28, 2008
Finally! An Annexation plan that doesn't have a bunch of homes protesting it!
Avon

Lexington, KY

#2 Jan 28, 2008
Where's my application?
bob

Duncan, OK

#3 Jan 28, 2008
Dose anybody know of ONE person that got an interview or a job offer with Honda, I have lots of friends with good background, some with jobs and some without. They didn't even get some much as a thank you for filling/sending out a resume. I have yet to hear of anybody getting a job with them.
SOON

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jan 28, 2008
Avon wrote:
Where's my application?
I don't know! Where did you put it?
Lance

Columbus, IN

#5 Jan 28, 2008
bob wrote:
Dose anybody know of ONE person that got an interview or a job offer with Honda, I have lots of friends with good background, some with jobs and some without. They didn't even get some much as a thank you for filling/sending out a resume. I have yet to hear of anybody getting a job with them.
I've heard of plenty of people with offers or interviews. Some of them were hourly, some were salaried. FYI they're not known for being speedy when it comes to hiring, plus, they had 10? 20? applications for each open position. Give it time.
A True Conservative

Carmel, IN

#6 Jan 28, 2008
bob wrote:
The reason is that they got over 3500 applications and what they do is take several samples out the bunch review them and then give call backs and interviews based on the sample they took. I know its not fair and they should probably look at every applications but there is just too many to review.

Since: Jan 07

Greenwood, IN

#7 Jan 28, 2008
tHE JOBS ARE NOT ALL GREAT. MY COUSIN WAS OFFERED A JOB AT $4. LESS PER HPUR THAN HE ALREADY MAKES WITH 2 YEARS UNTIL HE WOULD GET BACK TO HIS CURRENT PAY LEVEL. He also would be on a line that would change shifts every 2 weeks. If the line has 3 shifts it would also change every 2 weeks. 2weeks 1st shift, 2 weeks 2nd shift, 2 weeks 3rd shift and so on. He would never be able to see his kids and he also would have to quit his parttime job delivering pizza. He would be losing double. He said no to the job 3 different times.
DLC

Carmel, IN

#8 Jan 28, 2008
I have an interview
HiRode

United States

#9 Jan 28, 2008
bob wrote:
I would bet odds that most of the workers are from remote cities very close to Honda, and some might actually be from the Cincinnati area instead of Indianapolis, and Central Indiana
bmr

Amboy, IN

#10 Jan 28, 2008
HiRode wrote:
Finally! An Annexation plan that doesn't have a bunch of homes protesting it!
Hard to have a bunch of houses protesting it when this was the best farm ground in Decatur County. I've lived in Decatur County my entire life, on a farm, and it is very clear that agricultrue in our area is on the way out. Hope people know how to eat metal, because with the farm ground gone, food prices are going to go nowhere but up. Land is one thing that can't be replaced
The Shim

Louisville, KY

#11 Jan 28, 2008
He must be an idiot, He needs to look at the big picture. This job will be around for 20 plus years, the job he has now could be gone tomorrow.

Have fun working 2 jobs
pizzaman wrote:
tHE JOBS ARE NOT ALL GREAT. MY COUSIN WAS OFFERED A JOB AT $4. LESS PER HPUR THAN HE ALREADY MAKES WITH 2 YEARS UNTIL HE WOULD GET BACK TO HIS CURRENT PAY LEVEL. He also would be on a line that would change shifts every 2 weeks. If the line has 3 shifts it would also change every 2 weeks. 2weeks 1st shift, 2 weeks 2nd shift, 2 weeks 3rd shift and so on. He would never be able to see his kids and he also would have to quit his parttime job delivering pizza. He would be losing double. He said no to the job 3 different times.

Since: Jan 08

Quincy, IL

#12 Jan 28, 2008
I was born in Greensburg and have lived in Decatur County most of my 53 years. You guys need to get your facts straight before you comment.

1,700 acres (1,715 actually) is only 1% of all the land in Decatur County (which covers 373 sq miles). The City of Greensburg occupies 3,000 acres.

They had 30,000 applicants for 2,000 production jobs and 15,000 applicants for 1,500 non-production jobs. Anyone could apply, but all employess will already live within one hour of the plant (moving closer won't get you hired).

Production pay starts at $15~/hour. The highest paying factory in Decatur County currenty pays $12~/hour.

All the talk about 'shift-change' is unconfirmed rumor (until the press reports differently).
JBP

Bringhurst, IN

#13 Jan 28, 2008
pizzaman wrote:
Good move. He wouldn't want to give up his part-time pizza delivery job. Too many opportunities for advancement in that field just to throw it all way for a job with Honda.

Since: Nov 07

Muncie

#14 Jan 28, 2008
bob wrote:
If they all speak as well as you there shouldn't be a question...
lastrep

Columbus, IN

#15 Jan 28, 2008
pizzaman wrote:
Let's see now, he would never see his kids because the job would rotate shifts every two weeks, plus he would have to quit his part time job. How many hours did he spend with his kids when he had a job paying $4 more per hour, AND a part time job? He doesn't want to spend time with his wife? Evidently you didn't tell the whole story. Your "cousin" doesn't see his kids anyway, except maybe on weekends and even that is doubtful, because pizza delivery people are busiest on weekends. Your "cousin" turned the job down three times? There were thousands of applicants, if your "cousin" turned a job down once, Honda would not have offered it two more times, ridiculous.
steve

Chillicothe, OH

#16 Jan 28, 2008
ok idiots listen up if you were stupid enough to apply for work there and werent in a county specified as elgible then you wont be called.they have dtermined what counties are elgible i know hamilton county IS NOT ELGIBLE i believe there are only 10 counties elgible

Since: Jan 08

Quincy, IL

#17 Jan 28, 2008
"The who and how of Honda's hiring" (Aug 07)...

http://www.greensburgdailynews.com/archivesea...
Old Roy

Newport, KY

#18 Jan 28, 2008
More jobs for Indiana. Way to go My Man Mitch!
Roy Bean

Rochester, IN

#19 Jan 28, 2008
I have mixed feelings:
1) On the bad side, I've heard how Japanese treat U.S. workers (oops, "associates") including never letting them advance.
2) On the good side, I wouldn't mind maybe picking up a brand new Honda Civic at the factory (maybe even watch it being built).
Hope for the best.
bman

Newport, KY

#20 Jan 28, 2008
Most of you listen to fairy tails. I have worked as a supplier to Honda and knew many people who have advanced in the company. In plants in Ohio they have more Americans in Management now then when they first opened 25+ years ago

Like most Auto plants they build in the middle of nowhere so they attract good workers within an hour drive.

Then they build their supplier plants outside that hour zone so they have a different worker base.

Ohio has around 150+ plants that supply the Honda Assembly plants in Marysville and East Liberty.

Honda has the world’s largest engine plant in Anna Ohio. Then build more then 5,000 engines a day.

So this is a very positive company for Indiana.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trumps Nazi America 1 hr Bedtime for Democ... 6
News Let it Out (Oct '07) 4 hr Dorothy Rynard 249
Neo-Nazi who attended Charlottesville Neo-Nazi ... Fri Actions have cons... 1
Black People Alert Fri Just my observations 24
Gorka’s Fate ‘Extremely Uncertain’ as Boss Bann... Fri U GORKA GIRL 1
Bannon: Trump presidency is over Fri Bye Bye Bannon By... 1
Not welcome here says Dem Gov of Virginia Fri I C P knows all 6

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance