20,000 bid farewell to troops ultimat...

20,000 bid farewell to troops ultimately bound for Iraq

There are 83 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 3, 2008, titled 20,000 bid farewell to troops ultimately bound for Iraq. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Micki Wood expects to feel down for the next few days. She'll cry some. She'll want to be alone.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
stefan

Köln, Germany

#1 Jan 3, 2008
great story
HiRode

United States

#2 Jan 3, 2008
Get the job done, men.

God Bless!
Craig

Monon, IN

#4 Jan 3, 2008
Why is the deployment of this unit so worthy of front page coverage when others have also left for Iraq? Because they didn't have a grand sendoff from the Dome. Is their sacrifice less important to the Star?

Also the Star continues to beat the drum of false information reporting that this is some noble cause to defend America. It is not.

Yes, these soldiers are brave but do they really have a choice of going? What options to they have? And war mongers like the Star continue to insist this is a fight for democracy. This is George Bush's immoral war based on information this administration knew was false. Yet we continue to "support the troops" by sending them into harm's way.

Your coverage of pro war sensation is immoral itself. Bring the troops home, NOW!
GetOutOfIraq

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jan 3, 2008
Sending these brave troops to George Bush's stupid, wasteful, trumped up debacle in Iraq is wrong. Don't bother to tell me they are keeping me safe and defending my rights by doing battle in Iraq. All they are doing there is ensuring that Bush's cronies get rich.
carriesgranny

Fort Myers, FL

#6 Jan 3, 2008
The fact that you have the freedom to sit at home writing your anti-American nonsense without reprocussion while others protect your freedom to do so may be part of a bigger picture beyond your comprehension.

USA mom
Marty

Monon, IN

#7 Jan 3, 2008
carriesgranny wrote:
The fact that you have the freedom to sit at home writing your anti-American nonsense without reprocussion while others protect your freedom to do so may be part of a bigger picture beyond your comprehension.
USA mom
Not to hear the Bush administration tell us. Anyone who dares criticise BushCO is considered a traitor and opens themselves up to illegal wire taps and anything else the BushCO people want to do.

But I tell you what. Why don't you lock and load, go over there and protect our freedoms by putting your ass on the line?
Onboard

Saint Petersburg, FL

#8 Jan 3, 2008
God Bless all the Soldiers, keep them
safe & in good health & we thank them for their service. I trust all the
dependant allotments have been
processed. When the military gets it
wrong, they don't want to admit it &
can put families is dire circumstances
for long periods of time.
Marty

Monon, IN

#9 Jan 3, 2008
HiRode wrote:
Get the job done, men.
God Bless!
What exactly is the job they are suppose to do? God bless? If there was really a god then there would never have been a need for an Iraq war now would there?
Doris

Monon, IN

#10 Jan 3, 2008
carriesgranny wrote:
The fact that you have the freedom to sit at home writing your anti-American nonsense without reprocussion while others protect your freedom to do so may be part of a bigger picture beyond your comprehension.
USA mom
So typical of a Bush apologist, pro war monger. Anyone who dares voice opposition to the great dictator George Bush is consider anti-American. Why is it that all these pro war people are safe at home while others do the fighting and dying. Because they are cowards!
Realitybites

Lebanon, IN

#11 Jan 3, 2008
The Star should be ashamed of itself for banging the drum of ignorant, blind patriotism. What's esepcially sickening is yesterday's pitiful spectacle of knee-jerk patriotism and self-indulgent pride over the systematic abuse of these weekend warriors by their incompetent "leaders" Hoosiers, WISEN UP! Your loved ones are being sent on a fool's errand by a totally inept, incompetent, delusional, and corrupt "Commander-in-Chief" and his rich, heartless cronies. Iraq has been, is, and always will be "Bush's Folly." It's now a horrendously costly side-show in a bogus "war" on terror. Your loved ones are off to do absolutely nothing to make America even one bit safer in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and at a cost that is bankrupting our own country morally and economicially. The real fight, that Bush and other dumb, chicken-hawk rich men ran away from to glorify themselves in Iraq, is in Afghanistan and Pakistan. This is where we are now utterly losing the so-called "war" on terror. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda loathed Saddam Hussein and all he stood for. Our hapless troops and your hapless loved ones are now being shoved into the middle of a civil war liberated, created, and ruinoulsy stoked by the Bush administration. Whatever sacrifices they may make will in no way, shape or form make anyone here at home any safer at all. Indeed, by now becoming part of the problem rather than part of the solution, your hapless, ignorant, and ill-informed loved ones will only make the situation worse. The Iraq disaster is costing our country 1.2 billion dollars *a week* to fight. Money that would be infinitely better spent right here at home where poverty rates, especially among weekend warriors, are going up and up. And remember, all the money we are wasting to put your loved ones needlessly in harm's way is money that we are borrowing (largely from the Chinese). There is absolutely no reason why anyone here at home should be supporting so watesful and so foolish a crusade as this one. Soldiers! Refuse to go, refuse to fight and die for fools. You are being treated like the poor, dumb servants that these incompetent rich men have always relied upon to clean up after them. Have the courage, once in Bush's Folly, to tell everyone how useless, pointless, and wasteful your deployment really is! Speak up so that one day your own children won't be similarly abused by America's wealthiest and dumbest bufoons.
carriesgranny

Fort Myers, FL

#12 Jan 3, 2008
Marty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to hear the Bush administration tell us. Anyone who dares criticise BushCO is considered a traitor and opens themselves up to illegal wire taps and anything else the BushCO people want to do.
But I tell you what. Why don't you lock and load, go over there and protect our freedoms by putting your ass on the line?
As my time of duty has passed, my son now proudly serves as an LT2 in the United States Army. We both respect your right to disagree and both understand your need for hatespeak will never be quenched.

Hooo-rah!
Come on

Brooklyn, IN

#13 Jan 3, 2008
Realitybites wrote:
The Star should be ashamed of itself for banging the drum of ignorant, blind patriotism. What's esepcially sickening is yesterday's pitiful spectacle of knee-jerk patriotism and self-indulgent pride over the systematic abuse of these weekend warriors by their incompetent "leaders" Hoosiers, WISEN UP! Your loved ones are being sent on a fool's errand by a totally inept, incompetent, delusional, and corrupt "Commander-in-Chief" and his rich, heartless cronies. Iraq has been, is, and always will be "Bush's Folly." It's now a horrendously costly side-show in a bogus "war" on terror. Your loved ones are off to do absolutely nothing to make America even one bit safer in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and at a cost that is bankrupting our own country morally and economicially. The real fight, that Bush and other dumb, chicken-hawk rich men ran away from to glorify themselves in Iraq, is in Afghanistan and Pakistan. This is where we are now utterly losing the so-called "war" on terror. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda loathed Saddam Hussein and all he stood for. Our hapless troops and your hapless loved ones are now being shoved into the middle of a civil war liberated, created, and ruinoulsy stoked by the Bush administration. Whatever sacrifices they may make will in no way, shape or form make anyone here at home any safer at all. Indeed, by now becoming part of the problem rather than part of the solution, your hapless, ignorant, and ill-informed loved ones will only make the situation worse. The Iraq disaster is costing our country 1.2 billion dollars *a week* to fight. Money that would be infinitely better spent right here at home where poverty rates, especially among weekend warriors, are going up and up. And remember, all the money we are wasting to put your loved ones needlessly in harm's way is money that we are borrowing (largely from the Chinese). There is absolutely no reason why anyone here at home should be supporting so watesful and so foolish a crusade as this one. Soldiers! Refuse to go, refuse to fight and die for fools. You are being treated like the poor, dumb servants that these incompetent rich men have always relied upon to clean up after them. Have the courage, once in Bush's Folly, to tell everyone how useless, pointless, and wasteful your deployment really is! Speak up so that one day your own children won't be similarly abused by America's wealthiest and dumbest bufoons.
You say lot. You very smart. Don't mention China. China your friend. Yes, China your friend.
Don't forget shop at WalMart. WalMart your friend too.

“Hey, were you there when I....”

Since: Oct 07

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jan 3, 2008
For a minute, I though the "talk back link" sent me to the Moveon.org or DailyKooks anti American websites. It's the same puke these idiots have being vomiting for few years now.

Anyway...GOD Bless our troops and come home safe and THANK YOU for protecting us.(I know that makes the Demotards foam at the mouth with blind stupid anger because they live in the greatest country on earth).

“I love me some stupid people!”

Since: Dec 07

Lil' Bus, IN

#15 Jan 3, 2008
Craig wrote:
Why is the deployment of this unit so worthy of front page coverage when others have also left for Iraq? Because they didn't have a grand sendoff from the Dome. Is their sacrifice less important to the Star?
Also the Star continues to beat the drum of false information reporting that this is some noble cause to defend America. It is not.
Yes, these soldiers are brave but do they really have a choice of going? What options to they have? And war mongers like the Star continue to insist this is a fight for democracy. This is George Bush's immoral war based on information this administration knew was false. Yet we continue to "support the troops" by sending them into harm's way.
Your coverage of pro war sensation is immoral itself. Bring the troops home, NOW!
Let me start by being kind for just one minute and saying hello. Okay time to get ugly. If you couldn't tell this send off is front page because Indiana hasn't sent 3400 troops into battle since WWII. Anyone who leaves to go overseas has the same sacrifice.

Also for your question about "do the soldiers have a choice," GENIOUS just a side not the US military is voluntary so they do have a choice. They can sign the line or not sign the line. That is there "choice."

Know for your opinion of the war I will start by asking a simple question I think that even you can answer. Have you been to Iraq? I think the answer here is no therefore all you know is what the news and papers report. This means that you must be a subject matter expert on this subject huh? I think until you know all of the facts you shouldn't even run your mouth. Oh wait that is why we go to war is to support your freedom of speech you moron... Have a great day.
GiveBushtoIraq

United States

#16 Jan 3, 2008
Each of the fallen and maimed is a testament to the cost of Bush's lies and fabrication of facts in support of a war that has destabilized a region and validated extremist claims of imperialistic ambitions on the part of America. So how long does the US continue to police an Islamic culture and enforce the values of liberalism and democracy upon Iraq? How long does it take to build a culture that supports western values? Can the US force the "enlightenment" of Islam through occupation and military enforcement? If you think Iraq is like post-WWII Germany you need some serious education in the construction of good analogies.
Firefox

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#17 Jan 3, 2008
Realitybites wrote:
... There is absolutely no reason why anyone here at home should be supporting so watesful and so foolish a crusade as this one. Soldiers! Refuse to go, refuse to fight and die for fools. You are being treated like the poor, dumb servants that these incompetent rich men have always relied upon to clean up after them. Have the courage, once in Bush's Folly, to tell everyone how useless, pointless, and wasteful your deployment really is! Speak up so that one day your own children won't be similarly abused by America's wealthiest and dumbest bufoons.
Rants are good, using them to get others to vote is better. From my own circle of friends that are most against the war, many didn't even have the balls to vote; now they just complain. I agree with the crux of your post but we that seek change must gather our friends and impress upon them the importance of their vote.

No matter what a soldier thinks about the war, they have sworn an oath. Those that really want to get out know how (read: sick call rangers). Gone are the days of the old Guard, hanging out at drill, and going to school to learning an MOS to never use it outside their armory walls. We are doing what is indeed the essence of being a soldier, going to war, even though it sucks beyond what anyone that has never worn wear the uniform can ever understand. Being a soldier is what we want and choose to do. I like the Army, it has done good things for me, the “inconvenience”(read: suck factor) of going to war is the option I have chosen to live with.

I just pray that the people that have the power to change this go out to vote, and do so in an informed manner not just ‘cause mommy and daddy are a member of the XYZ party. For those that think your vote doesn’t matter, well if it won’t count then it doesn’t hurt to just do it.

Believe it or not, members of the Indiana Guard know they are used more than the majority of the other states and territories. We have full situational awareness and again it sucks to be put in this position but we did swear an oath.

To my battle buddies...
Be safe, keep your heads down and wear your groin protectors, I guess shrapnel hurts when it hits down there, ask my PSG. If you do get hit there get some buddy aid... it makes for great stories.
carriesgranny

Fort Myers, FL

#18 Jan 3, 2008
GiveBushtoIraq wrote:
Each of the fallen and maimed is a testament to the cost of Bush's lies and fabrication of facts in support of a war that has destabilized a region and validated extremist claims of imperialistic ambitions on the part of America. So how long does the US continue to police an Islamic culture and enforce the values of liberalism and democracy upon Iraq? How long does it take to build a culture that supports western values? Can the US force
the "enlightenment" of Islam through occupation and military enforcement? If you think Iraq is like post-WWII Germany you need some serious education in the construction of good analogies.
Hillary girl, I thought you were busy in Iowa today.
IMHO

AOL

#19 Jan 3, 2008
Thank you for the story. We all need to be reminded, on the front page, of what these brave young men and women are sacrificing in order to keep our liberties and freedom.
I do have one question, though...How come there wasn't any mention of any local Democrat leaders giving some inspiration and thanks to our troops??
humh

Duncan, OK

#20 Jan 3, 2008
Craig wrote:
Why is the deployment of this unit so worthy of front page coverage when others have also left for Iraq? Because they didn't have a grand sendoff from the Dome. Is their sacrifice less important to the Star?
Also the Star continues to beat the drum of false information reporting that this is some noble cause to defend America. It is not.
Yes, these soldiers are brave but do they really have a choice of going? What options to they have? And war mongers like the Star continue to insist this is a fight for democracy. This is George Bush's immoral war based on information this administration knew was false. Yet we continue to "support the troops" by sending them into harm's way.
Your coverage of pro war sensation is immoral itself. Bring the troops home, NOW!
Yes, others deserved the same grand treatment.

It is worthy of front-page coverage because we want the troops to know we love them even if some of us do not support the war.

Protest on your own time not here. You can be one of the people who stand out in front of the Federal building with a sign but in the meantime- let this message board be about the best of humanity and caring.
christian woman

Duncan, OK

#21 Jan 3, 2008
Marty wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is the job they are suppose to do? God bless? If there was really a god then there would never have been a need for an Iraq war now would there?
God is real. He is letting us and the earth have a short time span until judgment.

We have wars and rumors of wars just like Jesus warned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kennietra Mack just found out she sleeps with p... 3 hr LetMeSchoolUChild 10
Bruce Kaityln Jenner 4 hr BigMike79 5
Another School Shooting 17 hr BigMike79 27
employees desperately needed 20 hr BigMike79 6
News Fighting for Coverage: Patients caught in the m... 23 hr truth 3
A Young Stefan Halper Played The Role of Oswald... Tue truth 3
TruthBeKnown Tue truth 3

Indianapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages