gotcha!

There are 132 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 25, 2007, titled gotcha!. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Cursed with a lead foot? Star analysis locates 20 biggest speed traps along Indiana highways Cedric Merritt has heard 'em all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
indychick

United States

#1 Mar 25, 2007
I guess that's why the fool with the cell phone in her hand felt comfortable nearly running us off the road at 21st and Keystone (THE most dangerous spot in town IMHO)the cops are too busy speeding through (with cell phones glued to their ears) to these quota fests to worry about the rest of us.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#2 Mar 25, 2007
They should be doing a better job. double the number of tickects.
Randy

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Mar 25, 2007
I travel on 65 from scottsburg to indy daily and one thing I see alot is a bunch of drivers that should not have a DL and lack of patrol along the interstate it would be nice if theycould step it up.
Ernie

Amlin, OH

#4 Mar 25, 2007
Zionsville - 96th Street between Michigan and Zionsville Road. Limit is ridiculously low at 30mph - nothing but a revenue producer for the Zionsville police department.
Fed Up Taxpayer

Louisville, KY

#5 Mar 25, 2007
I travel 69 to 465 to 70 every day. And every day I see state troopers and Indy cops speeding. And no, not because they have somewhere important to be -- because they can get away with it since they possess a monopoly on force.

Citizens needs to start writing down their plate numbers and calling these oppressive hypocrites in.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#6 Mar 25, 2007
I drive 465 and 70 most of the day. I laugh everytime I see someone pulled over. Yes, trucks also.

You ever come into Indy from the west on 70? They give out tickects left and right, right at 465, by the airport. Now I see that they are working the ramps out there.
wrlocke

United States

#7 Mar 25, 2007
"Speed Traps" are just Law Enforcement Officers doing what is "Expected", and I for one EXPECT these Officers to do what is EXPECTED. I drive I465 from Washington Street West to Meridian Street North and back every weekday, and I drive within the Speed Limit Allowance in the Right-Most through lane. Every day one or more Drivers of Autos and Trucks flash their lights, blow their horns, cut me off, or give me a One-Finger Salute for being in their way as they drive well above the Posted 55 Speed Limit. Many weave in/out and dive across lanes just to 'get-in-front' of another auto or truck. I for one would like to have this part of I465 made safer by designating it as a "SPEED TRAP". Let's get some of those EXPECTED Law Enforcement Officers into this area between 7-9am and 4-6pm.
Alan

United States

#8 Mar 25, 2007
Indiana motorists have only themselves to blame for being fish in a barrel to law enforcement. They need to get off their butts and demand of their elected representatives reasonable, i. e., higher speed limits. The 55 mile limit on I-465 is ridiculously low. From 1953 through 1974, motorists enjoyed a 65 mile limit on ALL rural roads in Indiana. This limit was not even absolute until 1967. Prior to 1953, there was NO numerical limit on the open road in Indiana. YOU, the Indiana motorist, need to get off your butt and make the speed limit an issue now and in the next election. Join the National Motorists Association ( www.motorists.org ) and help the only national organization fighting for you!
Slower cars

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Mar 25, 2007
Personally, it won't be too long before vehicles are made so that the fastest they can go is around 85-90MPH. There is no reason why any vehicle needs to go faster than this. Semi trucks will be limited to say 75-80. My guess is that any vehicle found going faster than that will be illegal and the driver could be jailed. This alone would reduce deaths. I would also like to see a push for wire barrier devices along every mile of interstate followed up with state roads and national highways. This would pretty much eliminate 95% of cross-over deaths.
caf

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Mar 25, 2007
Those troopers on I65 near the KY line need to get a girlfriend or something! They must have not much to do if they're writing that many tickets for speeding.

Troopers like to write speeding tickets because they're easy cases; at the same time, they ignore many other significant violations. Number One would using turn signals for lane changes. I can drive my normal commute on 465 without seeing a turn signal used once.
Skippy

Marion, IN

#11 Mar 25, 2007
Thank goodness the police are cracking down on fast drivers instead of wasting their time on things like busting up meth labs and crack houses!
Revolution1776

Louisville, KY

#12 Mar 25, 2007
"Those expectations are firmer for special patrols such as those in the six-mile section of I-70 being overhauled. Troopers there are expected to make two contacts per hour."

So what happens if during a particular hour there are no speeders in that section of I70? Will the cops be punished for not making two contacts in an hour, or will the cops just pull someone over to make the contacts?
A Thinker

Covington, KY

#13 Mar 25, 2007
Given long-term state financial position, at least we don't seem to mind collecting money through this method of fundraising.

Indiana is one of those places where you can put on your turn signal and people feel they actually speed up just to get ahead of you. Love that speedway feeling.

Revolution1776

Louisville, KY

#14 Mar 25, 2007
Fed Up Taxpayer wrote:
Citizens needs to start writing down their plate numbers and calling these oppressive hypocrites in.
I've done that with a couple of Franklin cops. I contacted the chief and he just gave me the run around. When I talked to another officer about it he just laughed and walked away. I wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper and they ignored it.(Every other letter I have written has been published.)

We can't do anything to stop the corruption of the police everywhere because they aren't going to arrest or ticket themselves.

We need a group to police the police.
Revolution1776

Louisville, KY

#15 Mar 25, 2007
DavidM wrote:
I drive 465 and 70 most of the day. I laugh everytime I see someone pulled over. Yes, trucks also.
Why would you laugh? You should be thanking those people who got pulled over for doing their part to keep your taxes from rising.
FARCE

AOL

#16 Mar 25, 2007
Travel 116th st. through Fishers doing the speed limit and you get run over that is if you don't get broadsided by someone running the red light.
Fishers need to ENFORCE THE LAW
SMALL GOVT

AOL

#17 Mar 25, 2007
Alan wrote:
Indiana motorists have only themselves to blame for being fish in a barrel to law enforcement. They need to get off their butts and demand of their elected representatives reasonable, i. e., higher speed limits. The 55 mile limit on I-465 is ridiculously low. From 1953 through 1974, motorists enjoyed a 65 mile limit on ALL rural roads in Indiana. This limit was not even absolute until 1967. Prior to 1953, there was NO numerical limit on the open road in Indiana. YOU, the Indiana motorist, need to get off your butt and make the speed limit an issue now and in the next election. Join the National Motorists Association ( www.motorists.org ) and help the only national organization fighting for you!
THE GOVERNMENT AND THE INSURANCE COMPANIES KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU...AS FAR AS SPEED TRAPS GO...VISIT BEAUTIFUL PUTNAM COUNTY SOMETIME...IVE HAD THREE TICKETS IN 45 YEARS OF DRIVING...ALL OF THEM HAVE BEEN IN THIS COUNTY......DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO WAS VOTED OFF OF IDOL LAST NIGHT?
Are you sure

United States

#18 Mar 25, 2007
Fed Up Taxpayer wrote:
I travel 69 to 465 to 70 every day. And every day I see state troopers and Indy cops speeding. And no, not because they have somewhere important to be -- because they can get away with it since they possess a monopoly on force.
How do you know they arent going to a stranded motorist or going to assist another officer or on a call where they are not allowed to run lights to?
It is people like you who think they know everything about law enforcement but if given the badge you couldnt do it. Do me a favor and go to a run where a child has been abused, or go to an elderly abuse case and tell me it is all easy.
Thank you to all who serve us and keep us as safe as the general public will allow you to.
Why dont those of you who have an issue with police because you have been arrested or ticketed just go about your business and take it as a lesson learned.
Do you realize everytime you file a complaint over something stupid, it takes an officer off the street for an average of 8 hrs to follow up on your complaint. So everytime you file a stupid complaint you are hurting noone but your family and those who live or work near you.
bomber

United States

#19 Mar 25, 2007
Not all POs are out there giving tickets. Every day a different officer is assigned to either patrol, which is those that pull over people. IF they are higher in rank (sargeant, or lieutenant) then they are in offices and serving warrants for the crack houses.
Skippy wrote:
Thank goodness the police are cracking down on fast drivers instead of wasting their time on things like busting up meth labs and crack houses!
Fed-up

South Vienna, OH

#20 Mar 25, 2007
Well now I'm confused,every weekday I drive 465 north.I try not to drive over 65mph.Most everyone else is driving faster,I feel like I'm in their way.I thought the speed limit was 65mph.If they raised it to 70mph how fast would I be forced to drive to keep from getting ran over?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to my good friend Moe? 10 min Interesting 3
See, Indiana still consider a very racist state... (Nov '07) 29 min doubtful 978
Shelton Figley anyone know him? 4 hr No him 24
News Newest Tippecanoe Co. crop: tilapia (Aug '07) 7 hr Fish food 10
Irene Martin/ day care (Oct '10) 10 hr JUST FOUND OUT 37
News Cop arrested on third DUI (Mar '07) 19 hr Curious 142
News Two men get more than 100 years in double-slaying (May '08) Sun DreyNajae 43
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages