Snowmobile accident kills boy, 9

Snowmobile accident kills boy, 9

There are 77 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 7, 2008, titled Snowmobile accident kills boy, 9. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A 9-year-old boy who was operating a snowmobile died after he lost control of the vehicle and struck a tree in north-central Indiana.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Irresponsible

Houston, TX

#66 Jan 7, 2008
How many kids have to die on these snow mobiles before parents learn that they are very dangerous?
Dumb

AOL

#67 Jan 7, 2008
His parents should be charged with neglect! Why did they allow a 9 year old to operate a snowmobile? What ever happened to common sense? This death was totally preventable! What a shame.
Take responsibility

AOL

#68 Jan 7, 2008
Again wrote:
How stupid to put this on the parents. People ride snowmobiles for heavens sake! The parents didnt invent the damned things!
<quoted text>
They may not have invented it, but they certainly allowed their young child to drive it without any supervision! This was a 9 year old child! Parents are supposed to protect their children, not give them dangerous machinery that might kill them!
Snowmobile Family Mom

Fredonia, NY

#69 Jan 8, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>I would think that there are many children who live (and work) in our rural communities that operate motor vehicles and farm equipment. It is a part of life. Sure, there are farming accidents and fatalities, but those happen with both children and adults. Things are different in a rural community, and not many pass judgment like those on this blog.
I agree 100% with you on this one. Things are different in rural farm communities. I saw his age and thought nothing of it. Kids where I grew up were on snowmobiles from a very young age. These same kids help out on the farm and learn from a young age about dangerous equipment. This was a tragic accident and nothing more. Let the family grieve and let us all use this as a learning tool and try to stop being so judgmental of others.
Parent of two young boys

AOL

#70 Jan 15, 2008
I have to say that I think Parents these days do not take the time to really talk to their kids and teach their kids responsibility. It if you spend time with yur kids, teach them the dangers of things and show them how to be respectful, you should have little problems. There are accidents that happen, not everything can be prevented but do we not put child proof locks on things because our infants and toddlers aren't old enough to know any better? Do we not cover electrical outlets? Well as our kids grow older and change so do the things we need to watch out for and teach them about. You can never assume with your kids. We do not know all the facts and so can not rightly blame anyone but we can take this and look at ourselves and see what we could do better to teach our kids safety. There is room for improvement for every parent. Just remember as parents our children come first, not our jobs, not our hubby's or our spouses, but the children who need us to teach them what life is about and the dangers out there.
wvgrl

United States

#71 Mar 3, 2008
asdf wrote:
<quoted text>
I can 100% guarntee it wont happen to my children. They wont be allowed on a snowmobile at that age... problem solved
Does your child ride a bike? Kids lose control of bikes and hit trees and fences all the time. I guess we shouldn't let them ride bikes...or schoolbuses, since there are no seat belts. Get real.Accidents happen.

“FOO FIGHTER”

Since: Feb 08

northern mexico

#72 Mar 3, 2008
Please people,I;m an avid ATV rider and sad to hear this but dont blame the manufaterers, its not there fault.Ive seen this with atv's.Its the parents fault and a very unfortunate accident .there is warning stickers all over the thing .Yet people will stall blame the makers of the product

“FOO FIGHTER”

Since: Feb 08

northern mexico

#73 Mar 3, 2008
grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say that kids need to "be led by parents in the areas where they are yet to be responsible enough to make sound choices," you're talking about exactly what these parents failed to do.
Six and eight seems pretty young for a dirt bike, unless you're talking about something with pedals. Try Google-searching for stats on primary grade motorcycle accidents.
Hey grumpy,your probubly the guy who made honda quit making the fourtrax 250r quad years ago.KIds bikes are safe when properly supervised.Kids quads come with remote kill switches ,keys to remove so your child can not operate the machine without you.Take a look at dirt wheels magazine and you will see pages and pages of families having fun in a responsible manner.I do feel for these parents I can't imagine something happening to my son.But maybe this is a prime example of darwins theory :If you dont have the brains to keep your child out of mortal danger to the best you can, then maybe it's a way of getting rid of a defective bloodline.After all theres keys.warning labels,and all kinds of litiriture that says not to let your kid opperate an adult machine.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#74 May 7, 2008
Luke wrote:
What is wrong with parents today.His parents need to be arrested and charged with murder and be given the chair.
This got to be the most stupid comment I read so far. The parents are feeling bad enough but to give the chair you need some help.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#75 May 7, 2008
ToolRulesAll wrote:
Ban the snowmobile's...this kind of sensless killing must end...untile we have a ban on snowmobiles many more people will suffer this horrible fate...There is no such thing as a responsible snowmobile owner....SNOWMOBILES KILL!!!!
Cars kill too! Should we ban cars also?
sweetlittlebit

Springfield, IL

#76 May 12, 2008
For all you idiotic city people I personally know the family and live in the area. Out in the country you are raised around riding four wheelers, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, horses, and even tractors. We are all taught the respect to have for them. This was indeed an accident and yes the family is torn up about it. He was very familiar with riding these and it was unfortunate that this happened.
mfd6040

Springfield, IL

#77 Sep 10, 2008
okay i was a firefighter in mexico indiana which is also that fire department and first responders who responded to this run the fire department and miami county ems tried as best as we all could but i will say from my personal point of view eveyone blaming parents in this matter didnt know if they was around but the truth is they parents were in fact around the area of the wreck but there was nothing they could do for their son
peruvian

United States

#78 Apr 5, 2009
How stupid wrote:
Murder? Come on...I'm sure they are suffering and want to die right now themselves...
<quoted text>
Actually he was my nine yr old cousin and yes his parents were seperated his mom went to a concert at our local bar and was more worried about this girl she was all snuggled up 2 so yea im so sure she was so concerned
Miami county momma

Elgin, IL

#79 Apr 9, 2009
Zach was very familiar with snowmobiles and also raced dirt bikes. He was thrown from the snowmobile into a tree and it snapped his neck. IF he could've held onto the snowmobile, none of these comments would be needed as he would still be alive. Regardless of his parental situation (shame on you peruvian) or his age, he was very adventurous and he is missed by his classmates, his friends and his family.
saw it

Carmel, IN

#80 Jun 6, 2011
peruvian wrote:
<quoted text>Actually he was my nine yr old cousin and yes his parents were seperated his mom went to a concert at our local bar and was more worried about this girl she was all snuggled up 2 so yea im so sure she was so concerned
She was at the bar the next day. She was having drinks toasting to the memory of her son with her friends, next moment she was dancing.

Since: Sep 13

United States

#81 Nov 7, 2013
There is nothing we can say,the parent's have not said to themselves. What misery they are going through.

Since: Sep 13

United States

#82 Nov 7, 2013
Most parent's would be going through hell. What a damn shame!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald Trumpís First 100 Days: The Worst on Record 1 hr TrumpedMSM 3
Trash 1 hr TrumpedMSM 7
Trump just had his bluff called -- again 1 hr TrumpedMSM 11
Dali Lama says Mike Pence is the AntiChrist! (Apr '15) 20 hr Ominous Signs 11
Trump backs away from demand for border wall mo... 20 hr America First 7
Sean Spicer canít name a single accomplishment ... 20 hr Scan his brain 4
Adrienne Vittadini Studio - cheap crap under a ... Fri Making China Grea... 2
BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors a... (Sep '11) Fri nnono 167

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web