Snowmobile accident kills boy, 9

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A 9-year-old boy who was operating a snowmobile died after he lost control of the vehicle and struck a tree in north-central Indiana.
Comments
1 - 20 of 77 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Leona Helmsley

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jan 7, 2008
The parents should be held accountable for their stupidity in this matter.
Kent

Pryor, OK

#3 Jan 7, 2008
My cousin's husband died the very same way shortly before Christmas...

Crappy situation any way you slice it.
Alan R

Marysville, OH

#5 Jan 7, 2008
A sad story. Snowmobiles are like motorcycles. They can reach very high speeds.
Luke

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Jan 7, 2008
What is wrong with parents today.His parents need to be arrested and charged with murder and be given the chair.
How stupid

Huntsville, OH

#8 Jan 7, 2008
Murder? Come on...I'm sure they are suffering and want to die right now themselves...
Luke wrote:
What is wrong with parents today.His parents need to be arrested and charged with murder and be given the chair.
Again

Huntsville, OH

#9 Jan 7, 2008
How stupid to put this on the parents. People ride snowmobiles for heavens sake! The parents didnt invent the damned things!
Leona Helmsley wrote:
The parents should be held accountable for their stupidity in this matter.
Really Sad

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Jan 7, 2008
Definitely not a vehicle for children under 18. Should require a permit to operate this type of motor vehicle.
Luke

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jan 7, 2008
Again wrote:
How stupid to put this on the parents. People ride snowmobiles for heavens sake! The parents didnt invent the damned things!
<quoted text>
A 9 year old child has no business out on a snowmobile.Would you give your child the car keys and a helment and tell him to have fun?
WOW

United States

#13 Jan 7, 2008
Luke wrote:
What is wrong with parents today.His parents need to be arrested and charged with murder and be given the chair.
What a freak'in perfect world you must live in. God help you if you are ever in a similar situation - an yes, it can happen to anyone! These poor parents have just lost their son and we have stupid, idiotic responses such as yours. Never fails, after a horrible accident - and yes, it was an accident, there's always the holier than thous on here stating who's fault it was instead of trying to write something that could maybe console the grieving parents.

My heart goes out to these parents and the family of this young boy.
asdf

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jan 7, 2008
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
What a freak'in perfect world you must live in. God help you if you are ever in a similar situation - an yes, it can happen to anyone! These poor parents have just lost their son and we have stupid, idiotic responses such as yours. Never fails, after a horrible accident - and yes, it was an accident, there's always the holier than thous on here stating who's fault it was instead of trying to write something that could maybe console the grieving parents.
My heart goes out to these parents and the family of this young boy.
I can 100% guarntee it wont happen to my children. They wont be allowed on a snowmobile at that age... problem solved
nick

Novato, CA

#15 Jan 7, 2008
Again wrote:
How stupid to put this on the parents. People ride snowmobiles for heavens sake! The parents didnt invent the damned things!
<quoted text>
A 9 year old is a bit young to be operating a snowmobile.
Just Me

United States

#16 Jan 7, 2008
Accidents do happen and this is a very tragic one. None of us know all the circumstances surrounding this accident so we should wait to place judgement until we know more. Maybe the kid took the snowmobile without permision or maybe he was with a friend or relative. Parents can't watch kids 24/7. With that being said...there is no doubt a child should be operating a snowmobile alone. Someone should have been supervising this kid. However, the parents will suffer now but probably will not be charged with a crime since there is no age requirement on equipment such as snowmobiles and 4 wheelers.

“Victory is Mine”

Since: Jun 07

Greenwood

#17 Jan 7, 2008
Ban the snowmobile's...this kind of sensless killing must end...untile we have a ban on snowmobiles many more people will suffer this horrible fate...There is no such thing as a responsible snowmobile owner....SNOWMOBILES KILL!!!!
Parent

United States

#18 Jan 7, 2008
Sorry, but yes the parents should be responsible.. I am not saying they are not hurting and their intentions were to have their child killed. But their STUPIDITY DID... so they should have someone open their eyes.
We are here to protect our kids, and they didn't do it.
It's like they said, would anybody in the right mind give a child a car key? a bike and a helmet? NO, NO and plain NO..
grumpy

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jan 7, 2008
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
What a freak'in perfect world you must live in. God help you if you are ever in a similar situation - an yes, it can happen to anyone! These poor parents have just lost their son and we have stupid, idiotic responses such as yours. Never fails, after a horrible accident - and yes, it was an accident, there's always the holier than thous on here stating who's fault it was instead of trying to write something that could maybe console the grieving parents. My heart goes out to these parents and the family of this young boy.
We have this same stupid argument every time. Yes, it CAN happen to everyone; but you'll notice it doesn't. It happens to the idiots who either through negligence or ignorance allow young children to play with dangerously powerful toys.

I'm very glad your heart "goes out to these parents," but they're the ones who could have easily prevented this tragedy. My heart goes out to the kid instead. Your misplaced sympathy just makes it easier for the next accident to happen.

“Victory is Mine”

Since: Jun 07

Greenwood

#20 Jan 7, 2008
Hmmmm...funny, last year at the motorcross event at the dome there were 8 year olds that raced on the track...should we attack those parents for allowing 8 year olds to ride motorcycles on a "big boy" track? Or maybe you should let people be free to live their own lives and suffer their own consequences. There are too many people in this world that think their own ways of doing things should be everyones way of doing things....you seem to be one of them.
Parent wrote:
Sorry, but yes the parents should be responsible.. I am not saying they are not hurting and their intentions were to have their child killed. But their STUPIDITY DID... so they should have someone open their eyes.
We are here to protect our kids, and they didn't do it.
It's like they said, would anybody in the right mind give a child a car key? a bike and a helmet? NO, NO and plain NO..

“Victory is Mine”

Since: Jun 07

Greenwood

#21 Jan 7, 2008
I believe what you mean to say is: If everyone were as perfect as you there would be no accidents in this world? Kids have been killed riding bikes....are those also too dangerous? Kids have been killed riding horses...are those too dangerous?

Where exactly to you draw the line and at what age? Please fill us in on all the things that YOU think are dangerous and we will all follow you in our persuit to be absolutely perfect. Make sure you don't leave anything out so that you protect us from the "big bad dangerous world".
grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>
We have this same stupid argument every time. Yes, it CAN happen to everyone; but you'll notice it doesn't. It happens to the idiots who either through negligence or ignorance allow young children to play with dangerously powerful toys.
I'm very glad your heart "goes out to these parents," but they're the ones who could have easily prevented this tragedy. My heart goes out to the kid instead. Your misplaced sympathy just makes it easier for the next accident to happen.
r e b

Peoria, IL

#22 Jan 7, 2008
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
What a freak'in perfect world you must live in. God help you if you are ever in a similar situation - an yes, it can happen to anyone! These poor parents have just lost their son and we have stupid, idiotic responses such as yours. Never fails, after a horrible accident - and yes, it was an accident, there's always the holier than thous on here stating who's fault it was instead of trying to write something that could maybe console the grieving parents.
My heart goes out to these parents and the family of this young boy.
Prayers to the family also... although you feel the responses have ben stupid and idiotic how do you feel about parents who allow a 9 year old to operate a snowmobile by himself? I feel the same way about it that you feel about the responses..
Angel

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Jan 7, 2008
Its amazing how nasty people can be!
You wouldnt let a 9 year old ride a snowmobile? WELLLLLL dont let them in a car,or ride a bike or a horse
or even walk.The odds of accidents
are alot higher.I believe everything happens for a reason and in GODS TIME.We just cant comprehend His
reason,nor understanding.God be with that family.Some of you should be ashamed.
CRABBY OLD BAG

Pryor, OK

#24 Jan 7, 2008
I KNOW I SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD. KIDS SHOULD NOT OPERATE SNOW MOBILES, ATV'S, PLANES, CARS, ETC. BUT, PARENTS ALLOW IT ALL THE TIME. IT IS FORTUNATE THAT MORE ARE NOT KILLED OR INJURED. STILL, I FEEL SORRY FOR THE PARENTS.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Search intensifies for missing Indianapolis baby 8 hr Blackology 9
Willie Wilson 8 hr Blackology 1
sex talk 9 hr The Great One 2
Craig the bully 15 hr abc 6
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) 16 hr blackaricanful 255
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Sun Jason Austin 94
Debate: Ferguson - Indianapolis, IN Sun Cookie_Parker 7
BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors a... (Sep '11) Sat jeppy 106
•••
•••
Indianapolis Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Indianapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Indianapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianapolis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••