Colts biding their time

Colts biding their time

There are 44 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 19, 2007, titled Colts biding their time. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

More videos - select from menu Colts parade and rally - 02/05 Time-lapse of the Super Bowl - 02/05 Fans in Indy celebrate - 02/05 Blue Crew party in Miami - 02/04 Super Bowl XLI: Miami style - 2/3 Coaches speak ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
dwb

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Mar 20, 2007
Trust in the Polian..

The Colts are easily among the best in the league in managing personnel and the salary cap.
Go Colts

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Mar 20, 2007
I really donít think we lost much at all!! Dominic Rhodes didn't even play that good most of the season. If he did Addai would have never started over him in the play-off. And I for one am so ready for Freddy Keiaho to get a chance. Every time he played last year he was all over the field hitting someone hard and making plays!! How many times did the undersized Cato June try and take on a bigger running back high and get run over? Donít get me wrong I liked June and thought he got the D pumped up sometimes, but no way would I have re-signed him for that type of money. Haper's leadership might hurt a little in the secondary, but you can plug guys in at the cover two. I agree with Dungy and Polian I would it felt a lot better being #1 in Feb then it would have in March!!!!
COLTS ROCK II

Birmingham, AL

#3 Mar 20, 2007
Tony Dungy has an active brain inside his skull and I see no problems for the next few years...

all he need to do is STAY THE COURSE...
hey

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Mar 20, 2007
I believe that Irsay,Polian and Dungy have earned the right to do it the way the way they see fit. We have no reason to second guess the SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS.
Jerry M

Collinsville, MS

#5 Mar 20, 2007
Keiaho (Will), Dorsey (RB) and Jackson (CB) will more than adequately fill the shoes of June, Rhodes and Harper.

Remember when the "faithful" were screaming because the Colts lost all the preseason games. Trust Polian and Dungy...the Colts didn't post "We Believe" signs all over Indy for nothing. Keep the faith... I BELIEVE!
Rich from Indy

Kansas City, MO

#6 Mar 20, 2007
I agree with a lot of the other posts. Freddy Keiaho is ready to step in.

Plus, I've heard rumors of moving Robert Mathis back to LB and putting Josh Thomas in as starting DE.

They'll take the best DT available with the 32nd pick. Probably Tank.
RobC

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Mar 20, 2007
Go Colts wrote:
I really donít think we lost much at all!! Dominic Rhodes didn't even play that good most of the season. If he did Addai would have never started over him in the play-off.
Two-back combos are odd, in that the starter (in my opinion) shouldn't be your best back. The starter wears the opponent's defense down, so that the other back can come in on fresh legs against a weak run-D.

Look at the Addai-Rhodes combo. Rhodes started for most of the season, during which Addai put up the big numbers. In the post-season, Addai started, and Rhodes put up the numbers. Rhodes held his own in the Indy offense just fine.

Still, in a two-back system, it's easy to find replacements. You don't need to find one guy who can fight through the entire game like the Edge used to. Rhodes will be missed, but he's definitely replaceable.

I'm a little more concerned about the holes on the defense. I think the Colts did the right thing by tagging Freeney, and by resigning Rob Morris (who's the best bang for the buck on our D today). I would have liked to see Cato and Nick return, but not for the pricetags they're getting now.

Overall, I trust the Colts will weather this one just fine.
Mike G

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Mar 20, 2007
Why would anybody want to leave a SUPER BOWL TEAM & go play for the worst team in the NFL ( Oakland ). To me winnig on a consistant basis & having a chance to go to the SUPER BOWL would outway any amount of money,had Dominic stayed I'm sure he would not need a PART TIME JOB!!!
ColtsFan80

United States

#10 Mar 20, 2007
One thing that I am concerned about is our Run D that gave up 170+ yards in regular game. Is the organization just going to forget that aspect since the team won SuperBowl? Shouldn't we firm up our D (particularly FS & SS) if we were giving up that many yards? Looking at our division, Texans, Jags & Titans all have bulked up on their running game to have more bruiser type RBs who actually run thru our undersized front four. At that point, we would need awesome linebackers, or even better safeties, especially in Cover 2 scheme.
I know what you guys are thinking.. "what about Sanders? Isn't he good? Or Bethea?" But one thing that is a big concern here is if either suffers an injury, we are looking at a big gaping hole that Colts' opponents would exploit.

All I am trying to say is shouldn't we be addressing our safeties or atleast linebackers issue during off-season, and not wait until the draft to rely on a rookie to fill in that hole?
COLTS IN 08

Evansville, IN

#11 Mar 20, 2007
This has worked in the past and as long as were hot and the Pathetic Patriot Panzies are not it's ALL GOOD.

IT'S STILL COLTS IN 08!!!!!!!!!!
COLTS IN 08

Evansville, IN

#12 Mar 20, 2007
ColtsFan80 wrote:
One thing that I am concerned about is our Run D that gave up 170+ yards in regular game. Is the organization just going to forget that aspect since the team won SuperBowl? Shouldn't we firm up our D (particularly FS & SS) if we were giving up that many yards? Looking at our division, Texans, Jags & Titans all have bulked up on their running game to have more bruiser type RBs who actually run thru our undersized front four. At that point, we would need awesome linebackers, or even better safeties, especially in Cover 2 scheme.
I know what you guys are thinking.. "what about Sanders? Isn't he good? Or Bethea?" But one thing that is a big concern here is if either suffers an injury, we are looking at a big gaping hole that Colts' opponents would exploit.
All I am trying to say is shouldn't we be addressing our safeties or atleast linebackers issue during off-season, and not wait until the draft to rely on a rookie to fill in that hole?
Jags are on the downward spiral till they can get a good QB, cause both thiers are among the NFL's top 10 worst in the league. Texans and Titans are both A year away from making the playoffs.
COLTS IN 08

Evansville, IN

#13 Mar 20, 2007
Mike G wrote:
Why would anybody want to leave a SUPER BOWL TEAM & go play for the worst team in the NFL ( Oakland ). To me winnig on a consistant basis & having a chance to go to the SUPER BOWL would outway any amount of money,had Dominic stayed I'm sure he would not need a PART TIME JOB!!!
Well honestly I don't think Dungy likes trouble makers. I think in his system is athletes get kept till thier contracts are up and if thier record is clean the team attempts to re-sigh them. Which is why I guyentee you Mike Doss will be gone next season. Also the reason James got the tag when his contract was up, was because when he got in trouble Mora was the coach NOT DUNGY. So that's how the Colts system works why Ado Cato left the team to go to the buccs goes beyond my mind, I guess the team didn't think he could stop the run and the younger guys could.
BertJones2RogerC arr

Los Gatos, CA

#14 Mar 20, 2007
Mike G wrote:
It's all business in the NFL. I'm an old Baltimore Colts fan who remained one since the move and you see it all of the time. Glory doesn't mean much afterwards to players who aren't broadcaster types. Those injuries remain with them for a lifetime, many cases they die much earlier. So I understand they want more money for exposing their bodies to being a modern day gladiator.

The Colts need to continue the two back approach in order to succeed. I would even guess that by the end of the 2007/2008 season, you will see that the other back will become a star much like Joseph Addai did this year.
Uhhhh

Burbank, CA

#15 Mar 20, 2007
Scott wrote:
God, I'm praying now..........
for what its worth, I don't ask for much, I'd rather give but Please Lord One thing ?
Blessed be the Colts over the liberal left non-believing, sinful- Patriots in 2007 !! Let it Be , Let it Be!!! I must watch facial reaction from patriot fan .......... slobs all of em !!
.. Lay off the maple syrup.

“Mike Tyson ate my children.”

Since: Jan 07

Camby, IN

#16 Mar 20, 2007
If we can lose Thorton and James one season a win the SB the next....

There's a lot to be said about the coaching staff. A team can be riddled with high-priced talent (i.e. Redskins for the last...forever), but if someone doesn't put that talent in the right place at the right time...hello high draft pick next year. Dungy's about as good as they come. Guys want to play for him; want to step up for him. Let's draft a solid DT and deepen the LB and CB corps a little and head to Terre Haute.
ColtsFan80

United States

#17 Mar 20, 2007
COLTS IN 08 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jags are on the downward spiral till they can get a good QB, cause both thiers are among the NFL's top 10 worst in the league. Texans and Titans are both A year away from making the playoffs.
Actually, referring to the following RBs:
Jags - F. Taylor/M. Jones-Drew
Titans - V. Young/L. White
Texans - A. Green/W. Lundy

All of these RBs or QB (Vince Young) seem they can run very VERY easily on Colts Defense, if we have the starting FS or SS hurt.
SJP

United States

#19 Mar 20, 2007
Is there any reason not to trust in Polian? I am a believer.
COLTS IN 08

Evansville, IN

#18 Mar 20, 2007
TNO10105 wrote:
If we can lose Thorton and James one season a win the SB the next....
There's a lot to be said about the coaching staff. A team can be riddled with high-priced talent (i.e. Redskins for the last...forever), but if someone doesn't put that talent in the right place at the right time...hello high draft pick next year. Dungy's about as good as they come. Guys want to play for him; want to step up for him. Let's draft a solid DT and deepen the LB and CB corps a little and head to Terre Haute.
I know and that's why the Pathetic Patriot Panzies aren't going to win it next year GURENTEED. Free adgents signings are a rebuilding tool NOT A TOOL TO GET BACK SO SB STRENGHT!!!!
Mark

Austin, TX

#20 Mar 20, 2007
I'm finished second-guessing Polian....like any other GM there will be misses like Gardner but the great ones hit more than miss and after I pitched a hissy fit the last draft over the pick of Bethea over Tennessee DT Jesse Mahelona...I don't have supreme confidence in my couch GM expertise....carry on.
Fitz_07

United States

#21 Mar 20, 2007
Brandon Siler, ILB, Florida, 6-2, 241 lbs, 4.62 40 yds.

This guy's a leader and he'll knock you into next week. Hope he's there at #32.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lying Donald Trump 2 hr Cain 36
News Marcus Schrenker to be released from Florida pr... 3 hr Fuqthagovernment 1
Trump: women - "You Gotta Treat em Like $hit" 3 hr Bruce 5
Your Governor Mike Pence out to destroy Republi... 10 hr Buffalo Bill 4
26 Year Military Veteran 10 hr Patriot 1
carrier layoffs 13 hr Intel 18
News Packing the perfect diaper bag 18 hr cpeter1313 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages