Girl reports rape in Warren Central s...

Girl reports rape in Warren Central stairwell; teen arrested

There are 309 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from May 7, 2007, titled Girl reports rape in Warren Central stairwell; teen arrested. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Police arrested a Warren Central High School student on sexual assault charges Monday morning after another student said he raped her inside the school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Victims Justice

Indianapolis, IN

#23 May 8, 2007
Is this the price for school integration?
jmar

United States

#24 May 8, 2007
when i was young we were taught to treat women like Ladies. Womens lib came along & we were taught to treat women as equals.Now they are in the Army, going into battle. Then a president came along and treated women like sex objects which taught a whole generation that useing women for sex is OK. Now if you listen to some of the music the kids love it talks about women as "bitch's & whores". I don't understand where the women of the US went to in all of this to just stand by and allow this type of treatment is beyond my scope to understand. I think it shows that it all is a political agenda & it is what ever serves us best at the time. I truely feel sorry for the young girls of today. They have a whole culture against them.
warren grad

Indianapolis, IN

#25 May 8, 2007
Warren doesn't need more security, they have plenty. Rape can happen anywhere and at anytime no matter how much security you have.
Inner City Homeschooler

Cincinnati, OH

#26 May 8, 2007
Ogre wrote:
These are the types of things that happen when teachers can't punish students. Had corporal punishment been an option all this kids school life, maybe he would not have had the brazen attitude to think about doing such a heinous act.
I'm not really anti-spanking, and I've spanked my own kids (although I'm not proud of it), but the attitude that corporal punishment curbs crime is a total myth. Almost all criminals were spanked. On the other hand, the more successful one is(whether you define that economically, by post-secondary education, being active in the community, or simply staying out of jail) the less likely someone is to be spanked. Now, I don't think spanking causes crime either. But these kinds of crimes have more to do with our cultural tolerance of violence both in school and at home, and very little to do with spanking.

Personally, I think more school choice is the answer because it gives parents of the good kids somewhere to send their kids besides where the rapists and drug dealers are going (usually the default district school). But regardless of one's thoughts on the various theories on violent crime in school, I think promoting more spanking in school is kind of eyeroll-worthy in terms of a serious solution.
Not answering

United States

#27 May 8, 2007
I am a student at WCHS and was informed of this case by the news not a phone.
Faith Isaac

United States

#28 May 8, 2007
I can't belive a teen did that. He musy have been desperate.
RGW

Indianapolis, IN

#29 May 8, 2007
Susan Jones wrote:
What does it take to get these types of individuals out of our schools? I am tired of the bullying, assults, etc. that go on even in our elementary schools. Suspending a student for one or even five days does noone any good. They need to be out of the public schools period.
You are absolutely correct! This year I told a sixth grade student to go to the office because he was chasing a girl into the girl's restroom. His response to me was, F*** Y**! What do you think the punishment was for this utter disrespect for authority? One day in ISS - In School Suspension! That is right folks! One day in ISS! That was the extent of the repercussions for his actions to an adult!

Why only one day ISS and not out-of-school suspension? Well the administration in the ivory tower wants to lower the number of students being sent home for infractions. They only look at the numbers and demand that the building administrators lower those numbers. Who pays the price for that policy? The students who come to school everyday without incident and the teachers.

And the cycle of disrespect goes on and on unabated while the district administration sits in their ivory tower and says everything is okay to the public!

Since: Jan 07

Carmel, IN

#30 May 8, 2007
Why is it that the parents the police the courts arn't getting b&*ched out? Only the school who has no control these same parents took it away from the schools. RESPECT for anything is gone. They took away the Bible and gave the world this. It all starts at home and God love them some don't have a home or good parents well that's never changed my father spent all his young life in a home and he was one of the best men who ever walked this earth. To easy to place blame do something yourself instead of always wanting someone else to do it for you! My heart goes out to this girl she will live with this all her life. How sad.

“Christina”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis (eastside)

#31 May 8, 2007
Well, I am definitely moving out of Warren Township before my kids get older. I am appalled to read of such a thing! The schools really need to look into their administration and ask whether or not they are too lenient... Too strict--great news! It's nice to be out of school-God knows what the kids that have been suspended / expelled are doing! Make 'em go to school, hold their hands if you have to, and make them do community service until the afterschool bus is there! Schools def. need more strict indivduals running them!
HOW

Indianapolis, IN

#32 May 8, 2007
Confused Teacher wrote:
"What does it take to get these types of individuals out of our schools? I am tired of the bullying, assults, etc. that go on even in our elementary schools. Suspending a student for one or even five days does noone any good. They need to be out of the public schools period."
Have you ever heard of a free and appropriate education for all? It is a law that was passed many years ago stating that all children will be educated. How can the school discriminate against any student? Would you like your child to be discriminated by the color of his or her eyes? I think not. The schools hands are tied this day and age because of all of the sue happy people out there. When they took away the rights of the school, everything has gone downhill since then. Troubled teen or not, he should be accountable for his actions. End of story.
NOBODY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE COLOR. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH KIDS THAT DO NOTHING BUT CAUSE TROUBLE. THAT IS "NOT" DISCRIMINATION. WHATEVER
naieshea southall

United States

#33 May 8, 2007
this is very tragic because the year is alomost over i attend warren central high school and this isnt the first time i have heard about something like this happening.

“Digital denizen.”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis

#34 May 8, 2007
How come this type of story was unheard of 50 years ago? One reason is the rise of "megaschools" after all the small neighborhood schools were consolidated. When schools have 600-800 students instead of 100-200, it's more difficult to monitor and control them.

Other factors, of course, include the liberal attitudes that prohibit punishment, discourage parental involvement, and foster law suits.

The inmates are running the asylum.
WC Mom

Indianapolis, IN

#35 May 8, 2007
Fed_up_Warren_parent wrote:
My daughter attends that school and we were never notified of the incident.
My daughter goes to that school and I was notified ! I also work with other WC moms they were also notified!
I am very involved with my daughter at Warren Central I feel she receives a great education and her teachers and the Faculty are doing a damn good job at trying to watch 4000 plus kids
HOW

Indianapolis, IN

#36 May 8, 2007
Too much logic wrote:
Some thug acts out and you all want to blame the schools?
Start jumping on the parents of the thug, or the legal systems that tolerate this stuff and put thugs back into the public schools.
Warren has NO CHOICE but to try and educate this thug.
You are right the parents need to discipline this child but quit saying the school has to educate thugs. no they do not. after they act like an ass at school you take them to jail and be done with it. i am sick and tired of hearing that the school has to educate thugs. my child's school does not put up with that crap.
Old Warren Student

Indianapolis, IN

#37 May 8, 2007
I attended Warren Central in 2001 and went back to visit in 2007. The School is too massive in size to think things like this will not happen. They are placing students withiin a college sized indor campus with armed security and expecting them to act accordingly. Hmmm... Sounds like Security needs to be beefed up. A WC security task force without any hall monitors. They are to busy spending money on moden equipment, but only a human can hear or sence of someone in need. As for the boy facing 60 something years. You will only make him a harded criminal and are creating a problem that only awaits down the road. I can understand some time, but this child is still in the stages of learning and if he is placed in a community in which he is less likely to learn something positive them he will be released as a worse problem with understanding of how not to get caught and how more violent then his last attack. The big concern is that once he is release who will he go after. It will be your childrens children. I have no kids and that sounds scarey to me how we can lock away a problem in a secured closet for 63 years and let it grow into this monster. Also why were teh warrent parents not informed. Not a good thing to isolate an issue like this from the people who invest time and money into this school. School is ran exactly like a business and if they feel the people who own stock (parents with children) should know about an issue then they will inform them... A bunch of crap.
HOW

Indianapolis, IN

#38 May 8, 2007
Fed_up_Warren_parent wrote:
My daughter attends that school and we were never notified of the incident.
i work with several people that have kids at warren and they were notified by a recorded call. maybe you have no answering machine, maybe your children erased it but parents were notified.
so sad

Avon, IN

#39 May 8, 2007
And as usual in these postings everybody wants to point fingers as to who's fault it was that this incident occurrred.. A troubled teenage boy, that is who to blame. The school nor did the principal make him do this terrible act.. He acted alone.. But most importantly and what nobody else has acknowledged is how violated and sad this young lady must feel. She should be everyones main focus, not who to blame... God bless this young woman, I hope she finds peace within herself.
Old Warren Student

Indianapolis, IN

#40 May 8, 2007
"jmar
Rossville, IN Reply ยป
|Flag |#24 21 min ago
when i was young we were taught to treat women like Ladies. Womens lib came along & we were taught to treat women as equals.Now they are in the Army, going into battle. Then a president came along and treated women like sex objects which taught a whole generation that useing women for sex is OK. Now if you listen to some of the music the kids love it talks about women as **** s & whores"."

Dont forget about TV.. The Nappy headed hoes. Yet who were extremely educated and guaranteed a successful like before and after the issue..
Logic

Nineveh, IN

#41 May 8, 2007
"Disappointed"?????? I'm with you on this one unbelievable. I read the story in my paper copy and that really jumped out at me. A rape occurring in a school where I was in charge would at least "outrage' me. I suppose if it had been a murder, the principal would have been "concerned".
unbelievable wrote:
"We're always very disappointed when anything like this happens," Burchette said. "We take these incidents very seriously."
Key words in this statement, "always" -
this would indicate a frequent occurrence? And "very disappointed" - how about "devastated" or "appalled" or "disgusted"??
My favorite TV show gets canceled, I am very disappointed. A girl is RAPED at school, disappointed just doesn't cut it!
HOW

Indianapolis, IN

#42 May 8, 2007
warren grad wrote:
Warren doesn't need more security, they have plenty. Rape can happen anywhere and at anytime no matter how much security you have.
ok, smart one, no more security. i mean it is obvious the security they have is not enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lying Donald Trump 1 hr Colonel Pale Rider 38
Trump: women - "You Gotta Treat em Like $hit" 3 hr 3ruce 7
Which nursing site has correct ceu's 5 hr Appreciated 1
Your Governor Mike Pence out to destroy Republi... 5 hr Corruption 5
News Marcus Schrenker to be released from Florida pr... 11 hr Fuqthagovernment 1
26 Year Military Veteran 18 hr Patriot 1
carrier layoffs 21 hr Intel 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages