Closing of the Marion County Children's Guardian Home

Posted in the Indianapolis Forum

Concerned

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Apr 25, 2009
I grew up near the Children's Guardian Home in Irvington and went to school with kids from there. It makes me so sad that they are taking a good thing for abused and neglected kids and messing it up. Who came up with the idea to close this home?? I do not agree with juvenile delinquents being placed there and I never was in favor of it, but the poor kids that had no one else, it was the best place ever for them. I hope this is not another politician doing this to pad their own pocket. I hope petitions will be passed around by all of the neighbors, etc...to stop something so horrible from happening. If these kids are placed with foster families terrible things could happen to them. There are many, many wonderful foster families out there, but we all know and have read of the nightmare foster families, also. Kids have gone to foster families to be protected from their own family members and some have been raped, beaten, raped, etc...Many foster families foster to get another nickel in their pocket! I hope someone reconsiders closing the Guardian Home.
Tabatha

Henderson, KY

#2 May 6, 2013
Iwas in that home several times as a child.VERY sad to hear of it closing.It was a safe haven for so many of us who were being abused. A lot of great memories from there. Sad it is gone but am thankful fot the thouands of kids it helped
Jamie

United States

#4 Sep 25, 2013
I myself, stayed at the guardians home a few different times. I felt safe there. And among other things, I learned how to crochet. Which help me later in in life, when I stopped smoking while I was pregnant. I have make many of blankets and have cherished the fact that I could have learned more there, then where I had came from. It is sad that the kids that are out in the society, that could benefit from such a place, are without the opportunity To utilize Such a place.
GhomeGIRL

Haymarket, VA

#5 Oct 15, 2013
Tabatha wrote:
Iwas in that home several times as a child.VERY sad to hear of it closing.It was a safe haven for so many of us who were being abused. A lot of great memories from there. Sad it is gone but am thankful fot the thouands of kids it helped
I was there before too I was like 10 do u remember that woman that went by the name of the dinger lol
sudotch

West Chester, PA

#6 Oct 15, 2013
Does anyone remember "THE DINGER" ????,
sudotch

West Chester, PA

#7 Oct 15, 2013
Dose anyone remember those weird bathtubs and the caged in video game systems :0
GhomeGIRL

Haymarket, VA

#8 Oct 15, 2013
sudotch wrote:
Dose anyone remember those weird bathtubs and the caged in video game systems :0
what about the chains on the video games
sudotch

West Chester, PA

#9 Oct 15, 2013
What about that little gir that the "DINGA" called MEXICO
kallie

West Chester, PA

#10 Oct 15, 2013
Hello my name is kallie and me and my four siblings stood overnight to the guardian home heres my story....it all started on a september afternoon we came back from a theme parke a daybefor and my little bro benny ran outside in his tightie whities infront of a car well that lady called the popos on him and when they got theere thae came to find we had no food our pkace was dirty we was growing a plant in the bedroom they thought was dogshit and we had no food because we wasnt home we was on vacation lol but the took ms and my 4 siblings away Elidja doriah, jed and benny and me kallie well we rode in a car with a nice black lady and my bros was excited to ride with the police they wanted to hear the siren well when we got there they gave us baths the one lady dinged ppl in the head she calles herself the dinger I remember elidja filling out a paper with what type of clothes we was waring that gave me hope we was leaving well then thay gave us clothes from a big closet I dint remember if they were used or not so me and doriah got to sleep together and we met a little girl they called mexico her dad killed her aunt with a knife so the next day we got to go home my mom and dad got us jed was upset he wanted to go to the zoo with is roomates but mom and dad cried the whole way home and made us throw away the clothes they gave us cause thay said they was badluck the end
Kalilah

Greenwood, IN

#11 Oct 18, 2013
kallie wrote:
Hello my name is kallie and me and my four siblings stood overnight to the guardian home heres my story....it all started on a september afternoon we came back from a theme parke a daybefor and my little bro benny ran outside in his tightie whities infront of a car well that lady called the popos on him and when they got theere thae came to find we had no food our pkace was dirty we was growing a plant in the bedroom they thought was dogshit and we had no food because we wasnt home we was on vacation lol but the took ms and my 4 siblings away Elidja doriah, jed and benny and me kallie well we rode in a car with a nice black lady and my bros was excited to ride with the police they wanted to hear the siren well when we got there they gave us baths the one lady dinged ppl in the head she calles herself the dinger I remember elidja filling out a paper with what type of clothes we was waring that gave me hope we was leaving well then thay gave us clothes from a big closet I dint remember if they were used or not so me and doriah got to sleep together and we met a little girl they called mexico her dad killed her aunt with a knife so the next day we got to go home my mom and dad got us jed was upset he wanted to go to the zoo with is roomates but mom and dad cried the whole way home and made us throw away the clothes they gave us cause thay said they was badluck the end
. Awww sorry to hear that hon
Veronica Whitecotton

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Nov 27, 2013
I got sent to the Guardians home on and off for years I have alottabad memories and very few good ones!U see I was taken frm my mother because her husband and his father beat and verbally n emotionally and sexually abused me and i told a trusted woman at my school, so they sent cps to get me and introduced DOri to me who was my caseworker or guardian at lietuim anyway after hearing my life story she alllowed me a cartoon of cigarettes she felt so bad n they wouldnt tell me where my father n mother where they kept reminding me tht i was a child of the state and thts who owned e n thts whose my ne wparents r needless to say i pulled a fire alarm n ran away n slepyt n da park till the police found me then they wuld send me strait bk to da guardians home n where i got locked in the infirmary with out panties or bra just ths halk hosptal snd now there thEY JUST GAVE ME HALFA NIGTH GWN IT WAS AWFUL U CULD C NMY PRIV
Julie P

New Albany, IN

#13 Jan 10, 2014
I was in and out of the guardians home for a total of 4 years.... It has made me who I am today! There were times that I HATED it but as I look back now it was the BEST for me... I learned structure, prayer and routine. Met some GREAT people while there... Mr. Shelton was the all time BEST...... Then Ms. Shirley and "Mr. Crater Face"- no disrespect but at my age I can't remember his real name but he was heavily involved in rec. Ms. Vicki was always soo kind as well. I look back on the time spent there and I remember sooo many good times.... Things I was able to do that I would not have been able to do if I was in my disfunctional home.... Going skating, dancing and singing in the rec room, Sunday church services, even got my first perm while I was there etc. I was very sad to learn of the closing. I hope that the good lord is providing simular experiences for the children in the system today as I had back them. I hope they are surrounded by people that LOVE doing their job and it shows.
Virginia

Las Vegas, NV

#14 Jan 11, 2014
I was there at least one time with my brother. I was processed in on the day before my 2nd birthday. Sorry to hear of the closing. Where will the kids go now? What has happened to the building?
Maggie

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Jan 26, 2014
I was in and out with my two brothers many times...what a blessing back then for a safe place! I went back a few years before it closed with my oldest brother. Most memories I've suppressed but I remembered the big tree up the right us girls played under. When we left, my legs were shaking so badly I had to grasp the railing with both hands to get down the steps. My body obviously remembered more than my mind! I do appreciate that the Hguardians Home existed in my day...Iight not have survived without it.
Jennifer carruthers

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Oct 26, 2014
I was in guarded home and I was abuse by mom but my grandmother had me I never lived with her again but I with there because I run away from home and keep run away I didn't have any dad figger in my life are a mom my grandma was my mom and grandpa but kids need they real aren't because there life will be mass up like mine and they need teach parent skills they deal with all kind problem s drug abuse when they young are doubt now how deal with kids with special needs not take them help them kids need love and there parent they go get abusted in forster home rap molest and abuses we need help each other in criss guarded home don't have any good exception with kids they don't feed them kids good and they treat them kids like shit
skittlz

Baltimore, MD

#18 Tuesday Dec 2
There was a lady who worked there but I can't recall her name. I know she was obsessed with Jeff Gordon. Even had his number tatted on her leg. If anyone remembers her name please share. She cared for me when no one else did. She inspired me. I am forever grateful.
kimmie

Fort Wayne, IN

#19 Tuesday Dec 23
sudotch wrote:
Sure do lol
kimmie

Fort Wayne, IN

#20 Tuesday Dec 23
skittlz wrote:
There was a lady who worked there but I can't recall her name. I know she was obsessed with Jeff Gordon. Even had his number tatted on her leg. If anyone remembers her name please share. She cared for me when no one else did. She inspired me. I am forever grateful.
Do you remember me skittlez my names kimmie call me 260 702 27 42

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Landlord registration in Indianapolis: Section ... 1 hr NoZipCodeLeftBhind 7
Foundation to pay off mortgages of slain NYPD o... 4 hr Linda Bedsore 2
Where to get herbal incense/spice/potpourri in ... (May '13) 23 hr matt 52
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) Thu Go Blue Forever 448
Chuck should be gone Jim should be In Thu bikerbob 1
white girls Wed RZA 1
When Did Indy Become So Racist and Why? Dec 24 The Zombie 77
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web