Planned 'storybook village' draws cri...

Planned 'storybook village' draws critics

There are 99 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Planned 'storybook village' draws critics. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A planned development touting a simpler lifestyle is running into complications.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

BIll_LeBob

Muncie, IN

#63 Sep 12, 2007
This is proposed reasonably close to my house. While the concept is neat.. application would be completly different. Old World villages and towns are the results of 500+ years of "organic" growth.. not 6.5 years of shoddy contractors attemplting to replicate "Old World" style. If completed, this will turn in to a freak show. Constant traffic from gawkers and the eco-set. The shops will all end up like Metamora or Brown County. Who wants to live in that sort of mess? This will not be a chickens in the street type operation. It will be a bunch of neo-old tyme folks in Volvos and Saabs who love antiques and will gather at the coffee shop to talk about composting toilets or some such nonsense.

I've got a thing for old Siberian villages from the Soviet days. Is there a market for that?
Hmmmm

Indianapolis, IN

#64 Sep 12, 2007
A cult in the making? Just add religion and there you have it.
Doc Brown

Fishers, IN

#65 Sep 12, 2007
I would like to offer to be town physician, apothecary, veteranarian, and mortician.
Oh yeah - also the town wizard.
In order to afford a house, though, I need someone to steal from the rich and give to the "poor" (yours truly)...
I Am a Hoosier

Cincinnati, OH

#66 Sep 12, 2007
I don't know about Anderson, but in most cities and towns there are already areas that would qualify as "storybook villages" if the residents would just clean them up, fix up the houses, and behave as if they gave a damn. There are fine old houses falling apart because the absentee landlords are unwilling to maintain the properties. They're content to collect rent as long as they can and then just board up the place and forget it.
amphibiousness

Georgetown, IN

#67 Sep 12, 2007
This is creepy. If you want to see what this village will be like, go to Rarity Ridge near Knoxville, Tennessee. It is almost cult-like. It is eerily quiet and has a Mayberry-like Twilight Zone feel to it. It has it's own daycare and restaurant and activities excluding all but Rarity Ridge residents who profess to be christian. They 'get rid' of unwanted families somehow and prevent undesireables from building or buying. Very very creepy place.
amphibiousness

Georgetown, IN

#68 Sep 12, 2007
JBP wrote:
Yikes. Built it and fill it with all the posters. Imagine an entire village filled with village idiots.
Including you I presume?
I Am a Hoosier

Cincinnati, OH

#69 Sep 12, 2007
Momma wrote:
Pretty close .... they are 100% radical nuts that want to waste great farmland or land that could be used for DECENT, upscale homes, not this insane idea of farm animals roaming the town square.
One main argument they used here in Greenfield was that they wanted "little shops" and little homes all in the same little location. Honey, go to the town square any of the hundreds of small towns in Indiana, and you'll find HUNDREDS of little shops already there....rusting, rotting, and falling down. Why? Because nobody wants to live above their little shop now! Get a grip!!!!!!!!
Check out the really NICE community built by George Sweet et al. Now THAT is fine....no horse poop on the driveways!!! No 800 sq. ft. boxes called Grandma Cottages there. Just nice, decent, upscale homes!
I think the little shops are rusting, rotting, and falling down for the same reason the neighborhood grocery stores rusted, rotted, and fell down: because the owners couldn't compete with the prices of the large chain stores and, for some reason, we'd rather use a dollar's worth of gasoline to drive to WalMart than pay a nickel more for the product in our own neighborhoods.
JBP

United States

#70 Sep 12, 2007
amphibiousness wrote:
<quoted text>
Including you I presume?
sarcasm: noun
The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
builder

United States

#71 Sep 12, 2007
I just spoke with someone who was at the planning meeting. Some other things that aren't in the article. They want all homes to be concrete panel systems. This is all good, except their relatives have a franchise of that system. So they're telling people how to build their homes. This idea has the makings of a big compound. Isn't there some place in Utah like this?
She said at the meeting she modeled it after an Austrian village in the mountains where she lived. So, honey, move back to Austria, where life is so simple.
She was basically laughed out of the meeting. People were saying if she raised chickens, they would raise wolves. Quite funny.
Paul

Phoenix, AZ

#72 Sep 12, 2007
Where are the parents?
Eastside Resident

United States

#73 Sep 12, 2007
I liked the sound of this idea until I read that it would be worth $70 million dollars. That doesnt' sound like Simpler Times to me. It sounds like someone is looking to cash in.
Nope

United States

#74 Sep 13, 2007
Gravel Roads? Gravel sidewalks? This place sounds like ANCIENT TIMES, not simpler times.

Bedrock.......... or Jonestown

“I'll just say it”

Since: Apr 07

Indy

#75 Sep 13, 2007
builder wrote:
I just spoke with someone who was at the planning meeting. Some other things that aren't in the article. They want all homes to be concrete panel systems. This is all good, except their relatives have a franchise of that system. So they're telling people how to build their homes. This idea has the makings of a big compound. Isn't there some place in Utah like this?
She said at the meeting she modeled it after an Austrian village in the mountains where she lived. So, honey, move back to Austria, where life is so simple.
She was basically laughed out of the meeting. People were saying if she raised chickens, they would raise wolves. Quite funny.
Concrete panel systems - i.e. mold issues
Todd

Indianapolis, IN

#76 Sep 13, 2007
What a great idea. A safe place to live and work!
Jim Jones

Mishawaka, IN

#77 Sep 13, 2007
"Koolaid, koolaid tastes great. Koolaid, koolaid can't wait."

Since: Sep 07

Louisville, KY

#78 Sep 13, 2007
Sarah Brown wrote:
IF YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE LOOK AT THIS:
This is the full development plan submitted to the county, it may take a minute to download...
www.ruralvillage.org/newsletters/Simpler_Time...
If you are serious about the facts, don't listen to the things on this message board. VISIT WWW.TPUDC.COM so you can learn about several other communities designed by the Town Planner of this community.
Sarah? The same Sarah that's mentioned as the owner "The Little Village Makers, Inc"? The developer of this project? Do you feel personally attacked? Just asking...
Macha mong Ruad

Indianapolis, IN

#79 Sep 14, 2007
Heck, I'd love to live there. I'd finally be able to have my horses on my own property, grow most of my own food, and even have a couple of pygmy goats! What's not to love? This would be my dream come true. Huzzah!
Sarah Brown

Circleville, OH

#80 Sep 16, 2007
builder wrote:
They tried this in Greenfield and were shot down. I talked to Sarah about the homes then, and by what she describes, they aren't cheap. I had a 'concept plan' and priced it. It came in at about $175 per square foot, for a 1200 square foot home.
The plan was not shot down in Greenfield all seven votes were in favor at the planning and zoning hearing, the property was rezoned PUD but Mann properties came along and had more money... but they could not get zoning. Also the homes are $90 to $120. per square foot and there are 380 applications for lots at this time, no market trouble for us. Some people would like to live in a storybook village, it will be a fun place to raise kids and retire. Several self employed people and business owners are planning to move, and don't depend on Anderson, Ovid, IN is a very pretty place in the Fall Creek valley. If people have a dream why not give them a chance to live it, if people want to build a beuatiful place, let them build it, what a silly thing to whine about!

(Oh I'm not in Ingalls)
Sarah Brown

Circleville, OH

#81 Sep 16, 2007
Hokie Gal wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarah? The same Sarah that's mentioned as the owner "The Little Village Makers, Inc"? The developer of this project? Do you feel personally attacked? Just asking...
People have been making a joke out of this for years, that's ok. When you take courage to turn your dream into reality it's never easy and people who don't understand laugh. But that's no reason to give up. I'm designing a place that my kids would like to grow up in, that my parents would like to retire in and that my Grandma would like to move to. Lots of other people love the idea, this is America, communities used to be designed by the people who wanted to live in them. But not today, a community must be planned by a developer, or it's a cult? How silly.

This has nothing to do with common religion, we just want a little more freedom for home centered living, today's zoning makes us run around in cars all day, I would rather walk, but I don't want to live in a city.

If you don't like our dreams that's fine, go live yours, and if people come along and laugh at your dreams... laugh with them, learn from them and keep dreaming, but don't stop at dreams- do something! Do something besides making fun of the pursuits of others.
Sarah Brown

Circleville, OH

#82 Sep 16, 2007
builder wrote:
I just spoke with someone who was at the planning meeting. Some other things that aren't in the article. They want all homes to be concrete panel systems.
We are planning to use SIPs, people can use ICF if they like- but SIPs are not concrete, it's OSB and foam, not you can laugh about that too I suppose! http://www.sips.org/ People can build with log, Timber Frame... we are avoiding stick building in most areas. I'm amazed at what people find to mock others about...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Payton Wells shuts 4 auto dealerships (Jan '07) Sun TLK 37
looking Sun drshado 1
Shelton Figley anyone know him? Sat freak show 39
News Hogsett proposes free or reduced-cost housing f... Sat Wish 1
roger wethington Sat little lady 5
Another local Business goes to China Fri PC_KID 1
News Dog flu reaching epidemic levels in Chicagoland... Fri Wish 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages