Planned 'storybook village' draws cri...

Planned 'storybook village' draws critics

There are 99 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Planned 'storybook village' draws critics. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A planned development touting a simpler lifestyle is running into complications.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Bob

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Sep 12, 2007
I believe this is the website...

http://www.ruralvillage.org/index.shtml

I like the idea. Much depends on how it is implemented.
Dan

Dayton, OH

#23 Sep 12, 2007
WeAllNeedRepentance wrote:
Why are so many people against it?
People are against it because it is expected of mankind today to become a slave of the system and spend his/her life running like a hamster in a wheel. Because people who live in a village like this aren't going to have big cellphone bills and cable bills and toys like ipods and iphones. If people sit back and look at what the family unit has become and the things they work so hard for these days they'd realize how badly they have been duped.
pitboss

Columbus, IN

#24 Sep 12, 2007
Momma wrote:
... I'm 54 and have an 8 yr old still at home!...
Still at home! Why are you babying that kid. Kick him out.
Dan

Dayton, OH

#25 Sep 12, 2007
Additional Note: I'm looking at the house plans and I think they are great. I went recently to look at some model homes and I tell you they are a waste of money. The CP Morgan homes are absolute garbage. That kind of trash goes up everywhere but people act as if this village concept is such a terrible thing. I have a big objection to spending $100k+ for the trash the big home builders are putting up around Indianapolis today.

“I'll just say it”

Since: Apr 07

Indy

#26 Sep 12, 2007
European villages are well planned and it is a good concept to get people away from their car habits and do more walking. HOWEVER, please wait to develop until there is a demand for housing. Already the supply exceeds demand and people buying into new developments are instantly at negative equity. This is bad news for everyone in the community having instantly decreased home values. Builders / developers -please slow down! You're cutting your own throats!!!
Lonnie Baxter

United States

#27 Sep 12, 2007
"how do you regular how is a "Grandma"? I'm 54 and have an 8 yr old still at home! I could be a grandma, but am not yet."

I'll tell you how you regular how is a grandma, you find someone with nothing else to do but attack people with different views than yours, make ignorant assumptions and expect everyone to have as meaningless a life as you do.
Merry Too

Hollywood, FL

#28 Sep 12, 2007
Forget the farm animal bit for a minute, Momma. You are very negative and lack an open mind. The only thing you seem to have going for you is snobbery with your obsession with upscale homes.

Apparently you prefer the continued trend to drive 30-60 minutes stuck in traffic to the office and the malls and ugly strip malls. We all should be interested in ways to improve the environment, not to mention spend less time on the road and more time being involved in our own communities and with our families.

A lot of those town squares you speak of have one busy major thoroughfare going through making it dangerous for pedestrians. Poor planning all around is why some of these small downtowns aren't doing so well. Look at Danville, for example. It could be very nice but between the state road and the courthouse visitor parking hogging up parking, it is very unpleasant to shop there. Business owners struggle. Noblesville, too. Hmm.....dare we add Greenfield? I could keep going...

It would be swell if we could get city and county planners to undo all their booboos over the decades, but I doubt that is going to happen. Politics and agendas have screwed up our communities. So have have a lack of an open mind.

If a developer can think big and create a nice simple little town that seems to have a lot of interest, why not? Why do you really care? If YOU don't like it, don't visit it. BUT I bet there will be a lot of open minded people who do visit this concept village and make it viable.

You're the one who needs to get a grip, Momma.
Momma

Indianapolis, IN

#29 Sep 12, 2007
Sure, this sounds great on paper, so does a nuclear power plant, or a 1000-unit swine production facility (remember those Indiana State Fair Pork Chops??). But let's see a show of hands of everyone who wants one built beside their home? Thought so.
Crazy

Newark, OH

#30 Sep 12, 2007
Wow, some of you people sound very angry! Why?
Not all of the homes would be 800 sqft. The idea of this type of home would be for those older folks that would be looking into condo's or assisted living type places. It used to be that we took care of our older parents, they lived in our homes or close by. No one said a 54 year old woman with an 8 yo child still at home has to live in these! It's a choice. Wouldn't it be nice if grandma didn't have to live in a 4000sq ft home to live in a neighborhood close to her grandbabies??

Next, if you looked into this you would see they are just trying to bring people together to form a friendly community. A place where people know their neighbors and where business is traded and not overpowered by WalMarts. The lots are larger as you move away from the center of town. The homes would be built to last...of course they are more costly, but what about some of these box homes they are building now? They look dilapidated within about 5 years...what about 25...50 years from now??

The town is pedestrian friendly where walking is encouraged. I would LOVE to walk to our local store here, but with no sidewalks, I'm afraid my children and I would be hit by some person who is late for their hair appointment...or texting a friend while driving to work!

Let these people have their village! Let them have their grandma homes section where their elders can be cared for and feel sufficiant. They would be walking to the store in front of their home instead of driving..and we all know how much people complain about our older drivers!!

I think it sounds wonderful.
Merry Too

Hollywood, FL

#31 Sep 12, 2007
Hmm....800 square feet? The first home plan I opened up is for a 1600+ square feet home.

The only thing I don't appreciate about this concept is the name. I even think the name itself could be preventing people from looking at it as a serious and viable concept.
jonny

Bloomington, IN

#32 Sep 12, 2007
It never ceases to amaze that in a supposedly pro business Republican state such as in Indiana that there are so many "not in my back yard" types. What ever happened to individual rights and the right of a person to take advantage of their own property?
In Indiana it is legal to sell drug paraphernalia but the minute a person walks out of the store with it they are a criminal. In Indiana Legal gambling, which far outweighs our small states true needs, keeps growing so that business interests can continue to profit. I think it is time that our politicians grow a back bone and clearly define a truly Moral Map for our future.
This state has Millions if not Billions of unfunded obligations to our retired Fireman, Police and other workers and no money to pay it and no plan to do so. This "elephant in the room" is overlooked regardless of which Political Party is in power and is going to hit this state in a miserable fashion unless it is dealt with now.
I doubt any politician is brave enough to come forward and deliver the correct message. I wonder why our preachers are doing something about the situation. Every single one of them in the entire state should form a union of cause and force their parishioners to hear the truth. This might cause their tithing's to disappear though as they have proved as intractable as our politicians. Maybe there is no answer and "business as usual" is our destiny.

“Prepare for glory! ”

Since: Sep 07

Columbus, IN

#33 Sep 12, 2007
Bob wrote:
I believe this is the website...
http://www.ruralvillage.org/index.shtml
I like the idea. Much depends on how it is implemented.
Isn't it kind of odd that a community designed around pre-1800s europe has their own web site?

Wouldn't it make more sense to hire a Bard to travel from town to town singing tales of a "magical" new housing development?
Merry Too

Hollywood, FL

#34 Sep 12, 2007
Momma, you're losing your head comparing the plans for this village to a nuclear power plant and a 1000-unit swine production facility. I seriously don't understand your problem. This is already out in a rural area, so if your big issue is a few chickens and a pony in someone's backyard, maybe you should take a drive into the outskirts of Carmel and Westfield and check out the upscale homes with horse farms attached to them. Would it be okay to have horses as long as the owner built a million dollar home to live in so he could drive 1 hour into his office in Indianapolis (in his Escalade or Hummer?).

You're funny.
Dan

Dayton, OH

#35 Sep 12, 2007
Momma wrote:
Sure, this sounds great on paper, so does a nuclear power plant, or a 1000-unit swine production facility (remember those Indiana State Fair Pork Chops??). But let's see a show of hands of everyone who wants one built beside their home? Thought so.
I know you aren't comparing this concept to those things. That would be extremely narrow minded. Or are you one of those people that got duped into buying one of those quality CP Morgan homes?
Crazy

Newark, OH

#36 Sep 12, 2007
Shel-Bel wrote:
European villages are well planned and it is a good concept to get people away from their car habits and do more walking. HOWEVER, please wait to develop until there is a demand for housing. Already the supply exceeds demand and people buying into new developments are instantly at negative equity. This is bad news for everyone in the community having instantly decreased home values. Builders / developers -please slow down! You're cutting your own throats!!!
Yes! Lets start regulating our developing with this one community whose intentions are not focused on themselves getting rich! 126 acres, some farmed, most people growing their own veggies and not importing them from wherever, renewable energy utilized, very attractive to homeschoolers so no real need to start thinking about larger schools...yep, we better put a stop to this right now. Forget CP Morgan and other like developers/builders. They only want the money. They build HUGE homes and get people in there who can afford the housepayment (before taxes), but can't afford their utility bills. Poor insulation, no desire to do anything but make their buck and run. Lets start there, shall we?
sarge

Jefferson City, MO

#37 Sep 12, 2007
who cares??? let them thrive or go downhill...its their money...
Carmelite

Marysville, OH

#38 Sep 12, 2007
Sounds to me like not everyone is happy with the big-box stores and vinyl big-box houses!

Good for them for coming up with an alternative and providing options.

Housing developers - are you listening?
Sounds Good

Indianapolis, IN

#40 Sep 12, 2007
These are the kinds of new developments we need. Better for the environment. Better for the community. Better for the individual.
poof you are gone

Reston, VA

#41 Sep 12, 2007
WeAllNeedRepentance wrote:
Why are so many people against it? I think we need to go back to simpler times. Maybe not so far back that there was no indoor plumbing or electricity, but ... If we lived and worked in little villages like this it could reduce commuter traffic, fuel consumption could be less, we might even GASP actually get back to knowing our neighbors and caring about each other.
i agree! i think it's cool.
poof you are gone

Reston, VA

#42 Sep 12, 2007
Momma wrote:
you're so far off it's a joke, momma. but nice attempt to try and stamp out something creative and out of the box. probably a much healthier way to live, as well. typical small-minded hoosier.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Neo-Nazi who attended Charlottesville Neo-Nazi ... 12 hr Actions have cons... 1
Black People Alert 13 hr Just my observations 24
Gorka’s Fate ‘Extremely Uncertain’ as Boss Bann... 15 hr U GORKA GIRL 1
Bannon: Trump presidency is over 15 hr Bye Bye Bannon By... 1
Not welcome here says Dem Gov of Virginia 20 hr I C P knows all 6
Interracial blitz 21 hr Colour Bannon Gone 14
ObamaKlanther 21 hr Please get assist... 7

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance