Planned 'storybook village' draws critics

A planned development touting a simpler lifestyle is running into complications. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
KoldWater

Plainfield, IN

#1 Sep 12, 2007
How about a town based on Bedrock ?
The Geico caveman could endorse it.
Ho Hum

United States

#2 Sep 12, 2007
Great you want to live in a theme park. Sounds a little primitive to me. . . villages of that time didn't have indoor plumbing.
Shrek

Fort Wayne, IN

#3 Sep 12, 2007
Get out of my swamp!
indycaver

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Sep 12, 2007
It's hard to imagine with all of the "For Sale" signs around Anderson that the project is really needed.
WeAllNeedRepenta nce

Carmel, IN

#6 Sep 12, 2007
Why are so many people against it? I think we need to go back to simpler times. Maybe not so far back that there was no indoor plumbing or electricity, but ... If we lived and worked in little villages like this it could reduce commuter traffic, fuel consumption could be less, we might even GASP actually get back to knowing our neighbors and caring about each other.
Carl Hoffman

Clarksville, IN

#7 Sep 12, 2007
again the goverment telling a person what they can and cannot do with their private property. Oned there now want it to stay as it is as they have what they want so forget anyone else. Some oversight is needed but really should government be telling everyone how and what to do with private property. Avon is now having hearings to do the same with businesses already in place.
First thought

AOL

#8 Sep 12, 2007
Does this place have a web site showing their plans? Sounds great to me.
Alan DelRay

Pryor, OK

#9 Sep 12, 2007
Anybody worried about 'Urban Sprawl' should take the time to drive 30 minutes beyond I-465 and see how very little development there really is. Or take a look out the airplane window on your next flight.
If there are people wanting to invest in the development, don't stand in the way. Freedom and property rights were at the core of the Revolution that spawned this nation. Why are we trying to go back?
dclark

Michigan City, IN

#10 Sep 12, 2007
remember roosters go with chickens and roosters are NOT smart and are LOUD. Before the 1800's? Please.....
Dave in Greenwood

Elkhart, IN

#11 Sep 12, 2007
I love it when people living on land that used to be unblemished wilderness complain about "urban sprawl".
wink714

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Sep 12, 2007
its nice that "simpler times" costs $70 million
Momma

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Sep 12, 2007
OMG - that's the same crazy couple that tried to shove this kinda crap down the throats of Greenfield, IN residents. Thank heavens we put up enough protest they ran for cover.

Their deal was to have FARM ANIMALS roaming at will throughout the little village, imagine horse poop on your drive??

Also, they wanted 800 s.f. homes!!! They called 'em "Grandma cottages". Hmmmm.....how do you regular how is a "Grandma"? I'm 54 and have an 8 yr old still at home! I could be a grandma, but am not yet.

I've personally met these people, and believe me, they are both nut cases! Talking with them was like talking to a stoned hippie from the '60s.

OHHH! Also, they wanted folks not only to "buy up front", i.e., pay in advance like $40,000-50,000 for a 1/4 acre, but also to "send a love offering/donation" of $20,000 or more to ensure this gets off the ground.

Anyone with questions should contact the Greenfield, IN city council or zoning board for more info on these scammers.
Lonnie Baxter

Lynchburg, OH

#14 Sep 12, 2007
Would there be stocks and a dungeon?
Merry too

Hollywood, FL

#15 Sep 12, 2007
I think the concept sounds interesting and I would love to be able to live and have a business in something like this. My friends in Europe who own shops live very similar. At the minimum, we need to increase the "work where you live" idea because we rely too much on fuel on a daily basis.
Momma

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Sep 12, 2007
Pretty close .... they are 100% radical nuts that want to waste great farmland or land that could be used for DECENT, upscale homes, not this insane idea of farm animals roaming the town square.

One main argument they used here in Greenfield was that they wanted "little shops" and little homes all in the same little location. Honey, go to the town square any of the hundreds of small towns in Indiana, and you'll find HUNDREDS of little shops already there....rusting, rotting, and falling down. Why? Because nobody wants to live above their little shop now! Get a grip!!!!!!!!

Check out the really NICE community built by George Sweet et al. Now THAT is fine....no horse poop on the driveways!!! No 800 sq. ft. boxes called Grandma Cottages there. Just nice, decent, upscale homes!
Momma

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Sep 12, 2007
P.S. -- Of course, these hippies also want everyone to homeschool, like they do, so there's no plan for a school in these developments.
Mikey

United States

#18 Sep 12, 2007
Chickens, chickens, chickens, it's all about the chickens!
Momma

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Sep 12, 2007
Here's their bogus link -- looks like they plan to try to get this trashy ghetto in the making village thing going in Madison, also.

http://www.ruralvillage.org/index.shtml

DO NOT be deceived ...... notice everything is just artist's sketches? No guarantee this won't be just a ghetto with a few cheap, unattractive boxes called homes.....
Noblesville resident

Noblesville, IN

#20 Sep 12, 2007
Sounds like that movie "The Village". If you haven't seen it, you would know that is where this couple got the idea! Wow, is this progress???
WeAllNeedRepenta nce

Carmel, IN

#21 Sep 12, 2007
Not everyone can afford upscale homes in Carmel and the like. And what does this have to do with urban sprawl. If done correctly, this could actually improve some areas. Of course, if everyone is close-minded it will never take off.

The real reason the shops are rusting, rotting and falling down? Because people don't support their hometowns or neighboring communities - they go out of their way to go to the big malls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band coming to Ba... 2 hr Bob 2
Xbox 360 Modding/Flashing Service $30.00 (Jul '10) 3 hr paxson233 20
Vote to outlaw whittieeee Christmas 3 hr Alonzo X 10
Sears adds Indiana to closing list (Dec '11) 9 hr storm warning 11
Terry Moore-graduate of perry meridian? (Dec '08) 16 hr josmith281 10
Flu worries prompt more Indiana hospitals limits 18 hr fgufk 1
John root 19 hr Pecker Head 1
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web