Illegal doesn't make them criminals

Illegal doesn't make them criminals

There are 3917 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 23, 2007, titled Illegal doesn't make them criminals. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Our position: There is little evidence that undocumented immigrants are more likely to commit violent crimes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 196
Next Last

Decatur, IL

#1 Jul 24, 2007
So, the editors stance is; "Breaking the law doesn't make you a criminal."??!
Liberal political correctness will be the end of our country!
It is already hard at work here in Marion County. Comprendeh.

United States

#2 Jul 24, 2007
The article refers to immigrants, suggesting that both legal and illegal are included in the study. Does that mean if I enter and stay in your house without permission I should be referred to as an overnight guest?

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#3 Jul 24, 2007
From the article in the Indianapolis Star:

"Most illegal immigrants quickly integrate into the nation's economic and social fabric. That reality, not the myth of violent crime, is what deserves notice in this debate."

OMG, one day we hear that they are hiding "in the shadows", now this.

Who are they trying to kid??? These people remain segregated from society by virtue of their first crime of illegal entry.

Since: Mar 07

Alexandria, KY

#5 Jul 24, 2007
Illegal immigrants have 3
' Rights " 1. The Right to be arrested , 2 . The Right to be prosecuted , and 3 . The Right to be sent back to Mexico . Period . Illegal immigrants are Criminals .
Say What

Fishers, IN

#6 Jul 24, 2007
It has become clear that the Indy Star has no idea what the word illegal means. This spin is like trying to compare oranges with apples. Along with the stolen I D and no drivers license, no auto insurance and the rising cost of health care as well as the cost of educating these folks kids the American citizen dont stand a chance. Close the border and stop playing cat and mouse with these illegals. I as an American citizen when visiting either Canada or Mexico upon my return to the United States have to show an American passport to enter this country now what about all these illegals. Anyone who is in this country with out the proper papaer work to be here should be removed no matter what country they hail from.

Since: Mar 07

United States

#7 Jul 24, 2007
What wrote:
So, the editors stance is; "Breaking the law doesn't make you a criminal."??!
Liberal political correctness will be the end of our country!
It is already hard at work here in Marion County. Comprendeh.
I guess as long as the crime isn't too violent it's okay. That means embezzlers, con-artists, car thieves aren't really criminals -- as long as they don't kill you.

This is the whole problem with Mexican culture. A general lack of respect for laws, a sense that they can break whatever laws don't suit them --- just like their mordida and corruption in Mexico.

Howell, NJ

#9 Jul 24, 2007
Yankee Doodle wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct!This explains mexico's failure to establish a viable gov't that can provide for its own.How many thousands of years will it take?
I don't know. Did you get a life sentence?

Zumpango, Mexico

#10 Jul 24, 2007
Say What wrote:
It has become clear that the Indy Star has no idea what the word illegal means. This spin is like trying to compare oranges with apples.
Heaven forbid that anyone should present a different point of view than the panicked shrieking we hear in the media every single day about illegal immigrants.
need better news

United States

#11 Jul 24, 2007
being an illegal is a criminal offense - therefor you ARE A CRIMINAL. talk all you want, doesn't change anything
Words of Wisdom

Marysville, OH

#12 Jul 24, 2007
Let's petition to make Mexico the 51st state. Open the border for U.S. development -- commercial, residential, vacation spots.

And no more illegal immigrants.

Louisville, KY

#13 Jul 24, 2007
ANY crime committed by illegal aliens - PEOPLE WHO SHOULD NOT BE HERE TO BEGIN WITH - is ONE CRIME TOO MANY. Why would anyone want to add more criminals to our country??? The hundreds of thousands of illegals in our prison system says a lot about a large segment of illegal aliens who are NOT here just to work and to seek a better life for themselves.

Nobody says ALL the illegals are VIOLENT criminals; although just by sneaking into our country without going through the system is already criminal behavior - that's a FACT that CANNOT be disputed. Along with the fact, that MOST forge/steal identificiation in order to get jobs.

Quickly assimilate???? Yeah, the illegals 'assimilate' among themselves. Where is this reporter from? He must live under a rock! He apparently doesn't get out much.

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jul 24, 2007
Do the editors read what they write?

"Illegal doesn't make them criminals"

Please, editors - read that again - "Illegal doesn't make them criminals"

What does being illegal make them? Buttered toast?

Honest to God, I thought there was a huge typo on the headline. Then I read the editorial and realized they are actually saying that breaking the law does not make them criminals.

This is satire, right?

This can't be a serious editorial.
In Iraq by choice

Satellite Provider

#15 Jul 24, 2007
Why should we, the U.S., be making concessions to illegal Mexican immigrants?

How much is Mexico's elite paying U.S. lobbyists to influence immigration "reform"?

Mexico's government needs some house cleaning, can we invade there next?

Newport, KY

#16 Jul 24, 2007
If they are here illegally then they are, by definition, criminals.
Native Amer German Irish

Vandalia, OH

#17 Jul 24, 2007
The only people who BELIEVE this article are illegals.

The article is only telling them what they WANT to hear.

The silent majority's issue is no longer right-wing politics.

Illegals have galvanized the silent majority to include left, right and center Americans.

Thanks illegals! We needed an issue to bring Americans together.
In Iraq by choice

Satellite Provider

#18 Jul 24, 2007
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest.

So, if I shoot either one, I could classify the incident as, "an unfortunate lead poisoning episode"?

Enough of this political correctness B.S.!!!

Lyons, IL

#19 Jul 24, 2007
I am having problems getting a friend here legally for a visit..Maybe if she flew to mexico and walked across it will be ok.
not here legal then you are a criminal.period.

Sidney, OH

#20 Jul 24, 2007
Richard Windisch

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Jul 24, 2007
Sometimes you just have to wonder on what planet the Star is printed. It must be one where logic and common sense are unknown. In case those of you at the Star hadn't noticed, one of the major reasons your taxes are so high is free health care and educational services for illegal immigrants who pay NO taxes. The second they crossed the border, they have committed a crime. Their continued existence in this country is a crime. People have said that they work jobs Americans won't take. That's probably correct since most Americans won't work for the slave wages that illegals get. Employers get off cheap, their profits go up and we foot the bill. I could care less about Mexico's problems and I resent the fact that our government has made them ours.

Monon, IN

#22 Jul 24, 2007
You are condoning an illegal act by stating it's not criminal. It isn't as serious a crime as murder, but it's still criminal. If we can't protect our own borders from illegal immigrants, we open ourselves up for an influx of terrorists coming across. Let's shutdown our borders to all illegals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 196
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) 37 min Voter 499
joe biden our next president!!! 44 min liberals are morons 2
My Car Was Hard To Start Today!! Mar 16 The Liberal 1
hate crime laws Mar 16 The Liberal 4
Powers Lawson daughter Mar 15 Renee 1
they were warned< just like we are. Mar 15 The Preacherman02 4
To the Sons of Silence MC , Indianapolis Clubhouse (Dec '13) Mar 14 Ofthefamily 168

Indianapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages