Four prep teams set for Peyback Classic

Four prep teams set for Peyback Classic

There are 18 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jun 12, 2007, titled Four prep teams set for Peyback Classic. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The eighth Peyback Classic in the RCA Dome features four Central Indiana football programs making their first appearance in the event sponsored by Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Continental class of 89

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jun 12, 2007
When did the focus shift from IPS schools playing in the Payback Classic? Wasn't the Classic set up by Peyton so IPS kids, who schools could not afford for them to play in the dome, would get to?
color blind

Cicero, IN

#2 Jun 12, 2007
they didn t want to clean up the mess and fix the destroyed fixtures that " the chilluns needed to do to express themselves"
Pirandello

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Jun 12, 2007
Nice hillbilly comment, cb. Hoosiers should be SO proud!

Since: Mar 07

Newark, OH

#4 Jun 12, 2007
Continental class of 89 wrote:
When did the focus shift from IPS schools playing in the Payback Classic? Wasn't the Classic set up by Peyton so IPS kids, who schools could not afford for them to play in the dome, would get to?
I think it was how one of the schools spent the money on non-athletic things. I think.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#5 Jun 12, 2007
I am not familiar with the Peyback Classic but I am glad that it brings in the schools from outside of Indy, and smaller schools, for the event. When I first read the headline I was sure the rest of the article would say "Cathedral, Lawrence, Warren..." and other bigger schools. As for IPS, you never know with all the restructuring being done by Dr. White, the fact that they aren't in the Classic may have been their choice.(Do any of their high schools even still have football programs?) Aside from that, the idea behind this event is to bring money into the Foundation by bringing as many people to the games as possible. You can't do that by inviting only the locals. Let's face it, who's going to come to an IPS game if they don't have attend IPS or have kids that do?
Money brought in

South Vienna, OH

#6 Jun 12, 2007
As has been highlighted, money is a key element here. From my understanding, the original IPS teams that participated did not bring in large crowds. With the Peyback Foundation offering funds to IPS schools, as well as other groups, there is a need to raise funds. I do not think the Classic was set up as a charity for the games themselves, but rather an opportunity for different towns/areas to come down to the Dome and watch their team, as well as try and sell as many tickets as possible.
terry

Salem, IN

#7 Jun 12, 2007
what about some teams from southern Indiana
Nick

Washington, IN

#8 Jun 12, 2007
MaryCIndy wrote:
I am not familiar with the Peyback Classic but I am glad that it brings in the schools from outside of Indy, and smaller schools, for the event.
I am going to have to disagree with you here. Later on you noted that the purpose of Peyback is to bring in as many people as possible. While you are correct about IPS not selling seats, having a powerhouse 5A matchup (ex: Warren Central v. Carmel) and matchup of perennial state winners (ex: Chatard v. Cathedral) would sell more seats and bring more attention to the event. Put simply, no one cares about Avon football.

Since: Apr 07

Mchenry, IL

#9 Jun 12, 2007
I think that it is good to bring in teams that have not participated in the past. Gets more exposure for the mission of the foundation and gives some other schools a chance to play at the Dome that have not been in the state finals recently.
Parochial Fan

Highland, MI

#10 Jun 12, 2007
The participating schools do share some of the mutual gate, but I think some money does make its way to IPS.
Schedule availability and the ensuing juggling act is also am issue.
CYO

United States

#11 Jun 12, 2007
I'm sorry, but it was originally intended for IPS schools to give their kids a chance to play in the Dome. Guess what... no one came. This game should be used as an attraction to build support for Indiana football by bringing in other top programs from Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois to play top teams from Indiana. Cathedral, Warren, Roncalli, Chatard, Snider, Mater Dei, etc should be involved. I lived in Tipton, and trust me: there is no top-level football talent in Tipton. They should use this event to promote Indiana high school football, and who better than those teams like Cathedral, Warren, etc, to act as representatives?
Patrick

United States

#12 Jun 12, 2007
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to have to disagree with you here. Later on you noted that the purpose of Peyback is to bring in as many people as possible. While you are correct about IPS not selling seats, having a powerhouse 5A matchup (ex: Warren Central v. Carmel) and matchup of perennial state winners (ex: Chatard v. Cathedral) would sell more seats and bring more attention to the event. Put simply, no one cares about Avon football.
You're exactly right Cathedral and Roncalli is a much more intriguing matchup than Jeff Vs. Avon. There won't be nearly as many people at the Classic this year.
Think-

United States

#13 Jun 12, 2007
CYO wrote:
They should use this event to promote Indiana high school football, and who better than those teams like Cathedral, Warren, etc, to act as representatives?
Well this is probably exactly why they decided to have Sheridan in it. Sheridan has the best 'small school' football program in the state and it just so happened that they were playing Tipton that week. I imagine they were selecting Tipton, not Sheridan....and Sheridan would bring a crowd.
Think-

United States

#14 Jun 12, 2007
That is...they were selecting Sheridan, not Tipton (Edit from my above post)
WC Warriors

Decatur, IL

#15 Jun 12, 2007
I think Warren is trying to bring more attention to Indiana football with their Gridiron Classic during week 2 of the season.

This year they are hosting Glenville out of Cleveland Ohio. Should be a great crowd on hand.
Well

Marysville, OH

#16 Jun 12, 2007
Continental class of 89 wrote:
Yes. However, some of the schools were actually losing money because they didn't get to keep the "gate" from the games. The donation that they got from the Peyback Foundation wasn't enough to off-set the loss in funds from not getting to host their own game with a big rival (like Arlington vs. Broad Ripple). Some of the IPS schools were actually losing money in the long run from participating in the Peyback.
Avon Dad

Reston, VA

#17 Jun 12, 2007
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
I care about Avon football since my kids go to Avon. What I don't care about is Warren Central football or Carmel football. Nor do I care about the private sector. Its nice to see some schools outside of Marion County in the thing.
TopRowFan

Toledo, OH

#18 Jun 14, 2007
WC Warriors wrote:
I think Warren is trying to bring more attention to Indiana football with their Gridiron Classic during week 2 of the season.
This year they are hosting Glenville out of Cleveland Ohio. Should be a great crowd on hand.
The only way it drew my attention was by accessing Glenville's schedule when it was posted on the OSHAA's site this week. I'll admit that I pay a lot more attention to H/S football in Ohio than in Indiana, but my workweek is spent here in Fort Wayne (as it has been for the last 7 yrs.) and the only info I've ever run across re. Warren Central's event has been via the results being posted the week following the games in the Indy Star. If there's a web site providing info (similar to the Herbstreit) or some other venue by which they get the word around, I'd love to become aware of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
carrier layoffs 34 min Star baby 6
How can our Governor be any dummer 1 hr Damn-your -stupid 2
Black Pantehrette Beyonce 1 hr Damn-your -stupid 2
Knight Transportation 6 hr unhappy knight dr... 1
Bernie Commie Leftist Marxist Sanders 8 hr The Answer Man 1
Prosecutor Misconduct / Malicious Prosecution Wed The Ville 4
Shari miller Feb 8 who cares 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages