Mayor's office rescinds ban on WTLC contact

There are 123 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 15, 2008, titled Mayor's office rescinds ban on WTLC contact. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Ballard administration, upset with criticism, had barred staff from dealing with radio station Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? Maybe You Need to Schedule a Service Appointment or Test Drive? Tom ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

John Miller

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Feb 16, 2008
How sad this is that Mayor Ballard and his staff even made such a decision. So you have to talk nice about the Mayor or he wont do business with you? Dear Mother of God Mayor Ballard! What were you thinking?

So when people write bad things about Mayor Ballard in the Indy Star Talk Back Forums, is he going to stop talking to the Indy Star as well? What if Channel 6, 8, 13 or 59 report on wrongdoing in the City County Building... is he going to shut them down as well?

I understand that he owes nothing to anyone in this city and that he has a clean slate so to speak, but this is just crazy.

Someone advising him should have pulled the General back from this stance before it ever made it into writing and out into the public view.

I like what I have seen so far with Mayor Ballard until this.. and I liked Bart Peterson.

Strike One!!

John Miller
Indy Rick

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Feb 16, 2008
I think its time for another Luau!!!( Very sad when you think that this is all your mayor is good for, isn't it?)
Mt Obvious

Pleasant Prairie, WI

#25 Feb 16, 2008
Amos Brown has more and more become the local version of AL Sharpton, an irrelevant joke, who is always on the lookout for how the white man is trying to keep the black man down. We don't have the time nor do we want to...besides look in your own backyard as to why your culture is such a mess.

Since: Nov 07

New Palestine, IN

#26 Feb 16, 2008
Heil Ballard!

I had voted for Ballard, now I am ashamed of my vote.

It would seem that if someone runs for a political office that they would realize that the press might say critical things. Just read the Star political cartoons or watch Letterman or Leno and hear jokes about our elected people.

The experience in the Marine Corp was highly promoted in the campaign. I did not view his time in the Corp either for him or against him. In some ways his move to refuse business to WTLC could be viewed as tarnishing the image of the Marine Corp.
Realistic Expectations

Cincinnati, OH

#27 Feb 16, 2008
I'm not a fan of the new Mayor, but Amos Brown is absolutely wrong about the law. The Mayor can decide to appear/not, send information/not, or advertise/not as he chooses...if he wishes to take the political lumps. Amos Brown is equally entitled to give the Mayor those political lumps.

Not letting someone "compete" WOULD be impermissible if we're talking about providing comparable goods, such as selling computers to the city - everybody gets to bid for those contracts - but we're talking about distinctly different radio stations with different listening audiences. If there was some "equality" requirement, the city would have to advertise on every station in the city everytime it advertised at all. Sorry, Amos, but you're wrong...on this.
Bruce Bessell

Cloverdale, IN

#28 Feb 16, 2008
Is this really anything new?

It sounds a lot like John Adams' Alien and Sedition Act. You remember, the one he used to lock up Newspaper Publishers who published an opinion contrary to his, about 200 years ago.
Philly

Rushville, IN

#29 Feb 16, 2008
Please! While I'm no fan of WTLC or Amos Brown, do you really think he's anymore provocative than the neo fascist mouthpieces like Ann Coulter or Rush, where'd I put my Oxycontin, Limbaugh?
The fact is, someone needs to explain to Colonel Klink - I mean Ballard - that he's not in the Marines anymore.
His performance with the Legislature would have been laughable had it not been so sad, given that he is our representative before this body, and now this Have the Mayor's Republican handlers been on the sidelines so long that they've gotten this dim witted.
Next e-mail from the 25th floor to the Marion County Republicans...send the Mayor to politics 101 before you let him make anymore decisions, it will save us all a lot of embarrassment.
Casual Observer

San Francisco, CA

#30 Feb 16, 2008
It would have been nice if this meeting between the Mayor's office and Mr. Brown and his crew could have been broadcast on the show. That way, we all could have heard it for ourselves. Now all we will get are "soundbites" from the Mayor's office, as well as one-sided opinions from the WTLC listeners.

I am also not surprised that the "honeymoon" between Ballard and the black community is pretty much over. A lot of WTLC listeners said that Bart Peterson "had to go." But how now? From what I hear with all the call-ins, people in our community tend to "flip" with whatever viewpoint seems to be correct at the moment.

Well, the long, hot summer is coming. So get ready...
Stan

Milwaukee, WI

#31 Feb 16, 2008
I believe WTLC is owned by a public traded company, meaning it's not "minority owned".
Ballard Fan no Longer

Indianapolis, IN

#32 Feb 16, 2008
Wow, I am appalled at the arrogance coming out of city hall these days. Look folks, regardless of what was said on TLC, they have a right to say it. If you don't agree, check the constitution.

If Ballard and the gang don't agree, go on the show and argue your case. Amos Brown has an audience because there are members of this community that agree with the forum and commentary that he provides.

The mayor is going to have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with everything he does or say. Trying to control the media by denying access is naive and arrogant. The only reason they have reversed their "edict" was because they got caught.

So what is going on that we haven't heard about yet?
Ashamed

Zionsville, IN

#33 Feb 16, 2008
Amos Brown is the most racist, hate filled man in this city.
Grace

Cincinnati, OH

#34 Feb 16, 2008
Amos Brown is a discrace to our city.
r e b

Indianapolis, IN

#35 Feb 16, 2008
Deja Vu wrote:
Seems I recall the Honorable Julia Carson, of sacred memory,refusing to appear on WIBC's Greg Garrison program with Congressman Dan Burton. Was this not a boycott? Wasn't this because she didn't like the conversation?
ssshhhhh she is democrat and they are allowed.
r e b

Indianapolis, IN

#36 Feb 16, 2008
Ballard Fan no Longer wrote:
Wow, I am appalled at the arrogance coming out of city hall these days. Look folks, regardless of what was said on TLC, they have a right to say it. If you don't agree, check the constitution.
If Ballard and the gang don't agree, go on the show and argue your case. Amos Brown has an audience because there are members of this community that agree with the forum and commentary that he provides.
The mayor is going to have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with everything he does or say. Trying to control the media by denying access is naive and arrogant. The only reason they have reversed their "edict" was because they got caught.
So what is going on that we haven't heard about yet?
Trying to control the media by shutting out one radio station? I will control the WORLD! I only need a few more people to agree and I will be close (according to you)
Blackinjun

Cape Charles, VA

#37 Feb 16, 2008
Mt Obvious wrote:
Amos Brown has more and more become the local version of AL Sharpton, an irrelevant joke, who is always on the lookout for how the white man is trying to keep the black man down. We don't have the time nor do we want to...besides look in your own backyard as to why your culture is such a mess.
should we look now at the horse when it is out of the barn and running wild or should we look when you first put the horse in it until it went stir crazy because it wasn't fed the right grain. Or are they two separate events? Let me know so I can determine just how racist you are.
Racist

Evansville, IN

#38 Feb 16, 2008
WTLC is racist towards any group that is not BLACK..They know it and we know it. If he was a black mayor you would see this info on this paper..THE TRUTH HURTS...
WTLC is RACIST

Evansville, IN

#39 Feb 16, 2008
IT must be owned by the SHERIFF Anderson and PETERson.
Stan wrote:
I believe WTLC is owned by a public traded company, meaning it's not "minority owned".
twoslick

Kokomo, IN

#40 Feb 16, 2008
Ballard appears to be losing his cool in a few areas already. What's going to happen when it gets hot outside and things really start happening here in Indy?
Old Boiler

Antioch, IL

#41 Feb 16, 2008
Alrightguy123 wrote:
Heil Ballard!
I had voted for Ballard, now I am ashamed of my vote.
It would seem that if someone runs for a political office that they would realize that the press might say critical things. Just read the Star political cartoons or watch Letterman or Leno and hear jokes about our elected people.
The experience in the Marine Corp was highly promoted in the campaign. I did not view his time in the Corp either for him or against him. In some ways his move to refuse business to WTLC could be viewed as tarnishing the image of the Marine Corp.
Yeah, sure you voted for him. And I walked across White River on my way to work yesterday. Get Bart another towel, he has cryed tears on the last one and now it's too wet.
Blackinjun

Cape Charles, VA

#42 Feb 16, 2008
Racist wrote:
WTLC is racist towards any group that is not BLACK..They know it and we know it. If he was a black mayor you would see this info on this paper..THE TRUTH HURTS...
lol if they are so "racist" why do they worry about doing business with the white city administrators and those adminstrators have the POWER to hurt them financially? Does WTLC have that kind of POWER?

Who's the racist again?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News House votes to block EPA regulation of streams,... 1 hr goonsquad 46
Fairychauns win in Ireland 3 hr The Great Wisdom 1
They pull 19 kids and counting? 3 hr The Great Wisdom 4
Debate: Gay Marriage - Indianapolis, IN (Jul '10) 16 hr pewwert 1,397
Ballard's wife is Bisexual Fri The Great Kaptoz 1
Mayor Ballard Honors Nasty Letterman Fri The Great Wisdom 5
Brenda Kay Thompson (Jun '11) Fri pcfrmfl 4
More from around the web

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]