Mayor's office rescinds ban on WTLC c...

Mayor's office rescinds ban on WTLC contact

There are 123 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 15, 2008, titled Mayor's office rescinds ban on WTLC contact. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Ballard administration, upset with criticism, had barred staff from dealing with radio station Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? Maybe You Need to Schedule a Service Appointment or Test Drive? Tom ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
two sides to this story

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Feb 16, 2008
I think the ban was a dumb idea - Ballard should've just ignored it and the issue would have gone away. Of greater concern - when/how are radio stations held accountable for irresponsible commentary on the air? Why is no one questioning that??
No Longer an Amos Fan

Marysville, OH

#2 Feb 16, 2008
Unfortunately, we're not given the entire story here so comments undoubtedly will be filled with speculation. Did Amos Brown stimulate this? We don't know.

Be prepared, I'm moving a little off-topic now.

Regardless of the WTLC mayoral memo, there's a greater problem that plagues the Indianapolis community -- too few African-American positive role models for male and female adolescents.

And I wish Amos Brown would focus his energies to correcting this concern rather than worrying about local politics.

Brown is also affiliated with radio station Hot 96 which, through its music, often projects and promotes images of inappropriate "thug" and "ho" attitudes and behavior.

Meanwhile, African-American male adolescents have a horrendous high school graduation track record. And much too often that leads to crime, drugs, guns, violence and death.

Mr. Brown, I'd like to know specically what you are doing to correct this problem. All I see and hear about you relates to politics. I believe you have the ability to make a positive change in youth if you wanted to. But you disappoint me because you make no effort whatsoever.
Tokin42

Jasper, IN

#3 Feb 16, 2008
Lets see if i have this right, WTLC suggests Ballard is a racist because he's taking IMPD back from Anderson and they get all huffy because ballard takes offense? Mr. Brown thinks it's apartheid, someone needs to tell him if you want people to deal with you, maybe you shouldn't be such an a$s.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 16, 2008
Of course, it used to be that the Mayor's office would refuse to appear on some radio shows.
The same one

West Newton, IN

#5 Feb 16, 2008
Famous Amos Brown... this is the SAME racist who, during the NFL Opening Night ceremonies on national television in Indy, looked directly into the eyes of a black female singer and asked why there were no minorities in the line-up of entertainers.

Of course, she publicly pointed-out the stupidity of his comment; and how, in his zeal to stir up racism that just wasn't there, he "overlooked" her.

Bravo, Mayor Ballard! You should never have to put-up with this kind of crap.
Gerald Winston

West Newton, IN

#6 Feb 16, 2008
"I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed and we can get on to the business of talking about more important things."

This is such a non-story, even the "aggrieved" party (WTLC and both its listeners) suggests we move on to "more important things."
All about money

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Feb 16, 2008
While I disagree with Amos Brown, I have no problem with him slamming the mayor every day if he wants to. It is not surprise that he leans left. He is just another political radio commentator. What I do find laughable is that while he says hip-hop music is bad, the parent company of his station, Radio One, also owns Radio Now 100.9 and Hip Hop 96.3 which play music which supports the ghetto culture of guns, drugs, babies mommas and daddies, etc.. 96.3 is about the highest rated station in the city. Why work for a company that promotes what you want to change?
Plagarist

West Newton, IN

#8 Feb 16, 2008
This whole thing is overrated as a story -- at least as a story in itself. Look, what Barlow (and Ballard if he knew about it) did re: WTLC was stupid. And it is an easy "gotcha" moment, because it violates Politics 101. Marcus -- when you retaliate, you don't do it writing. But it is really a gotcha over very little. Amos is annoying (although not necessary at fault here)-- and as a strict legal matter, the administration can freeze out any press organization it wants to, Amos's various inapt legal protestations notwithstanding.
indylady

AOL

#9 Feb 16, 2008
The same one wrote:
Famous Amos Brown... this is the SAME racist who, during the NFL Opening Night ceremonies on national television in Indy, looked directly into the eyes of a black female singer and asked why there were no minorities in the line-up of entertainers.
Of course, she publicly pointed-out the stupidity of his comment; and how, in his zeal to stir up racism that just wasn't there, he "overlooked" her.
Bravo, Mayor Ballard! You should never have to put-up with this kind of crap.
mayor ballard is a "public" figure--he signed up to "take crap", he is not a dictator or feudal lord--what concerns me is, if another station (white, black or hispanic) had callers stating what they didn't like about him or his policies, is he going to do the same thing, ban another station? that's a strong-arm tactic/the public, especially those who did not vote for him, don't have to support and agree with everything he does; however, the radio station is responsible for the content they air/amos has had his moments, but overall, he has served this community longer than most who blog here...

let's move on, we've more important issues to address and resolve, right?
Poo

Carmel, IN

#10 Feb 16, 2008
Such actions seem to be a recurring theme with Republicans...
Jesse

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 16, 2008
Ballard and his department did nothing wrong. They have no obligation to support, agree, or interview with any radio station.

Especially one that doesn't agree with him, mostly because he's republican.

They have a right to let people express their views, and the mayor's office has a right to disassociate themselves completely from WTLC, including all advertising, etc.

Barlow did the right thing by sending out the memo until they could decide whether or not it would be a good idea to go on their show.

In my opinion, Ballard owes them no explanation of why he took control over the police department, all he owes is results!

I didn't see Bill Clinton calling Rush Limbaugh or appearing on his show either.
gwayenjackson

San Francisco, CA

#12 Feb 16, 2008
Wonder how many calls supporting the mayor didn't get to the airways? The call screener probably seen to that.

When Frank Anderson met with Mayor Ballard, they came out shaking hands with differences being taking care of.

I am also glad that he was able and sit down with Mr. Amos and get those differences taken care of. Doesn't sound rascist on Mr. Ballard behalf, does it?
press secretary

Newark, OH

#15 Feb 16, 2008
to those that think ballard was within his rights, wrong! as a government official, he (nor his staff) have any right to effectively "shut out" the media. that's why there are open government laws.

now, they certainly don't have to participate in interviews and such, but they can't deny them access to public records or access to compete for public funds by way of advertising dollars. those rights are protected by law.

plus, ballard's staff should know that you don't put anything in writing that you don't want publicly exposed.
George W

Wausau, WI

#16 Feb 16, 2008
Mayor Ballard's clearly not a communist that would declare such a ban so.......NAZI!!!!!!!!!

George W. must be proud!

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Feb 16, 2008
Gerald Winston wrote:
"I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed and we can get on to the business of talking about more important things."
This is such a non-story, even the "aggrieved" party (WTLC and both its listeners) suggests we move on to "more important things."
It's remarkable that WTLC has managed to double it's audience with this controversy.
Ben Franklin

Covington, KY

#18 Feb 16, 2008
I thought Ballard was a Marine. And I thought he was going to change the way things are done at City Hall. WTLC was banned because the Administration didn't like what they said and Ballard used his background as a Marine as a central part of his campaign. You remember the Marines don't you? The one's that do things like defend our rights to free speech and a free press.

Didn't take him long to become a typical politician.
Ben Franklin

Covington, KY

#19 Feb 16, 2008
By reading these comments I'm amazed we still have any rights left in this country. If some of these people had their way everything and everyone they disagreed with would be banned.

"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -attributed to Voltaire

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Feb 16, 2008
Ben Franklin wrote:
I thought Ballard was a Marine. And I thought he was going to change the way things are done at City Hall. WTLC was banned because the Administration didn't like what they said and Ballard used his background as a Marine as a central part of his campaign. You remember the Marines don't you? The one's that do things like defend our rights to free speech and a free press.
Didn't take him long to become a typical politician.
Bartie lost. Get over it.
Sam

Carmel, IN

#21 Feb 16, 2008
Who the heck is Amos Brown?? Never heard of him.
Deja Vu

AOL

#22 Feb 16, 2008
Seems I recall the Honorable Julia Carson, of sacred memory,refusing to appear on WIBC's Greg Garrison program with Congressman Dan Burton. Was this not a boycott? Wasn't this because she didn't like the conversation?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama welfare gone beserk (Mar '13) 8 hr cpeter1313 8
News Investors ask Steak n Shake: Where's the beef? (Nov '07) 17 hr Jogo22 46
See, Indiana still consider a very racist state... (Nov '07) 20 hr doubtful 980
What happened to my good friend Moe? 21 hr Davey 4
roger wethington 22 hr upset 1
Joshua Scott somebody help me find him 22 hr Baby mama 4
Shelton Figley anyone know him? Mon No him 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages