Tech giant to bring 200 jobs to West Lafayette

Tom Wood Subaru Visit Tom Wood Subaru at 96th Street and Keystone Avenue for Online Specials on New and Pre-Owned Subaru vehicles. Full Story
Chris

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Feb 21, 2008
That's awesome that in only costs 1,045,000 per job.
christopher

United States

#2 Feb 21, 2008
Nice division demo. It's good to know you put party affiliation before the good of the state. Good luck at your job flipping hamburgers Chris.
Bryan

Shelbyville, IN

#3 Feb 21, 2008
Great news for Indiana
OhBoy

United States

#4 Feb 21, 2008
I guess a call center job is better than no job.

Since: Apr 07

Bloomingdale, IL

#5 Feb 21, 2008
My friend just started there. Not to bad a salary for straight out of college. He really likes it there so far.
Jay

San Francisco, CA

#6 Feb 21, 2008
Wow, another 200 cr*ppy call center jobs.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#7 Feb 21, 2008
Ya EDS. Back in the day when Ross Perot owned them they were an honest company with integrity.

But after the sale this was the same Comp that charged GM a 300% mark up on billing when they had an EXCLUSIVE contract with them. When GM found out they fired them. This is the same comp back in 2004 that was on the verge of bankruptcy and fired most of its work force via a VOICE MAIL from the soon to be former CEO who got a 10 mil golden parachute. Ya lucky Indiana.
Old Roy

Louisville, KY

#8 Feb 21, 2008
More Jobs for Indiana! Way to go My Man Mitch!
Former EDSer

Newington, CT

#9 Feb 21, 2008
I used to work for EDS (left in 2004 but on my own terms). I'm pretty sure these are not call center jobs. They are more likely programmer/technical jobs to help develop the upgrades. The "cost" to Indiana is the $300k training grant for 200 employees comes down to $1500 per employee.

They had some layoffs but never close to "most of its workforce". They have over 100,000 employees worldwide. Ross Perot sold the company to GM and they were a subsidiary from 1984 to 1996. They spun off EDS at that time and they became a vendor. EDS was never "fired" but GM has chosen to award subsequent support contracts to other vendors over the years.

EDS has/had its problems but the information on here is just wrong. Good for EDS that they are finally expanding again and bringing good jobs to Lafayette.
SomeGuy

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Feb 21, 2008
Former EDSer wrote:
I used to work for EDS (left in 2004 but on my own terms). I'm pretty sure these are not call center jobs. They are more likely programmer/technical jobs to help develop the upgrades. The "cost" to Indiana is the $300k training grant for 200 employees comes down to $1500 per employee.
They had some layoffs but never close to "most of its workforce". They have over 100,000 employees worldwide. Ross Perot sold the company to GM and they were a subsidiary from 1984 to 1996. They spun off EDS at that time and they became a vendor. EDS was never "fired" but GM has chosen to award subsequent support contracts to other vendors over the years.
EDS has/had its problems but the information on here is just wrong. Good for EDS that they are finally expanding again and bringing good jobs to Lafayette.
Yes, thank you for setting the record straight. I am also a former EDS employee, working first in Philadelphia on a service bureau account and then in Plano for several years. I worked my way through the SED program (don't know if it still exists). I left for a better opportunity but the company was good to me during that part of my career. It was in trouble but only within the context of its previous success and it had to adjust to a changing market. It was never in serious trouble and it remains a solid company with over 100K employees. To say that GM "fired" EDS is laughable. I used to work on the GMAC account among many others and quite honestly, to say that GMAC was one of the more inept companies I've seen would be an understatement. The spinoff enabled GM to have vendors compete for the business and it forced EDS to rely less on captive GM business, benefiting both companies in the end.

All that said, this is not about jobs even though that is being touted. It is ultimately about bringing efficiencies to the state program that will cost the taxpayers less in the end. What is not being said is that jobs are likely being lost ... jobs performed by state employees. I do not have a problem with that and it very well may be the case that as part of the deal, EDS will at least make an offer to those losing their jobs that they may or may not accept. A high percentage will not accept because oftentimes it involves relocation. I saw this time and again during my years at EDS. I do not have a problem with it because I have always had an issue with the large and inefficient state agencies that seem to serve partially as an employement program to the detriment of the taxpayer.
SomeGuy

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 21, 2008
I should also add that although I left EDS for a better opportunity, I would not have had the opportunity if EDS had not prepared me through the SED program. My hiring manager ran a similar call center in Frankford, KY way back in 1989. Most of the employees in the call center were either going through the SED program or were graduates. SED stands for System Engineer Development. Although I don't know if the program still exists, it is likely that the employees will be more than your typical call center employees. This is good news.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Banfield Pet Hospital Lee Winnett D.V.M... 5 min lottery 2
Fountain Square shooting suspect is found guilty 1 hr BEARS FAN 1
I noticed something. 4 hr d j crazy 4
Fat chix 4 hr d j crazy 3
Where to get herbal incense/spice/potpourri in ... (May '13) Tue Illylookingforill 46
Obama racist rhetoric toward Police Tue tayarrit76 5
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) Mon tayarrit76 270
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match

Indianapolis Jobs

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Indianapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianapolis

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]