First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Angela

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Sep 28, 2012
If only I had known that I could have three kids by the time I was 23 years old for FREE, go to college for FREE and have a house built for me for FREE by generous, caring people volunteering their time, I sure would have. I did it all wrong. I had one child by the time I was 23, I worked full-time, I paid my own daycare and I couldn't afford to pay my way through college. No one built me a house and I paid for all of my own food and medical care costs. IF ONLY I had known.
well

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Sep 28, 2012
Angela wrote:
If only I had known that I could have three kids by the time I was 23 years old for FREE, go to college for FREE and have a house built for me for FREE by generous, caring people volunteering their time, I sure would have. I did it all wrong. I had one child by the time I was 23, I worked full-time, I paid my own daycare and I couldn't afford to pay my way through college. No one built me a house and I paid for all of my own food and medical care costs. IF ONLY I had known.
make sure to do as much sh!t while pregnant as you possibly can to ensure that kid is so effed up for life that you will race to the social security office and get them on ssi - you know, for the disabled child. its all smoke and mirrors. and the people that get angry are just the ones that are mad because you see through their manipulative tactics. its all game. users, abusers and losers. they won't even get life insurance to bury themselves, you'll pay for that too. its never ending. society never stops paying for the mess.
not stupid

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Sep 28, 2012
sorry, but if you are talking about the houses built by habitat for humanity you need to do your homework. they offer low interest loans to low income people who qualify, they buyers have to put in sweat equity and agree to live there for years. no one is offering free houses. if people want to volunteer that is their business. they tried to build in my neighborhood but it is the same not in my neighborhood folks coming out. isnt this a better solution than more section 8 housing?
stupid

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Sep 28, 2012
not stupid wrote:
sorry, but if you are talking about the houses built by habitat for humanity you need to do your homework. they offer low interest loans to low income people who qualify, they buyers have to put in sweat equity and agree to live there for years. no one is offering free houses. if people want to volunteer that is their business. they tried to build in my neighborhood but it is the same not in my neighborhood folks coming out. isnt this a better solution than more section 8 housing?
not really. do your homework on all these type of section 8, habitat, hud.....check the police calls for those addresses. more than any other homes in the neighborhood usually. unless the neighborhood is a dump to begin with then its business as usual. people generally complain for GOOD reason.
The Ultimate Kaptoz

Avon, IN

#5 Sep 28, 2012
You are wrong on they build for low income families in the sense that Most of them are black. It use to be for those handicapped or senior citizens whose homes were unrepairable , Now it;s all about what news channel can build the new home at the lowest monthly payment and no rent for a full year , They 9 times out of ten are black young mothers with three and four kids by four different daddies . Those are the facts. Just like the millions of blacks and Hispanics that got zero percent home loans in the sub prime lending forcing banks to lend to those people who were illegals and who could never afford the homes and car loans they were given too default on causing the economy to collapse under GWB, So Obama and his Dems could blame GWB and republicans for the collapse , When in fact the Dems headed the banking and housing committee's in DC, All the way back to Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton who forced banks to make those loans to the poor. Bill cLINTON DID AWAY WITH THE GLASS STERAGALL ACT preventing banks from being involved in those type of loans and investments .Obama is continuing it .
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Sep 28, 2012
stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
not really. do your homework on all these type of section 8, habitat, hud.....check the police calls for those addresses. more than any other homes in the neighborhood usually. unless the neighborhood is a dump to begin with then its business as usual. people generally complain for GOOD reason.
Now there is some truth to this. A couple of neighborhoods over there is a HUD home that after the police were there again a few weeks ago, I got suspicious and asked for an activity report of that address. Shew! Freedom of Information act requires that if taxpayer monies are spent on police or ambulance, the community has a right to know. 7 police runs to that household in the last 5 years. About 1 every 9 months, sometimes more often, sometimes not. And of course when I pulled the tax info on that address I found out its a HUD home. Go figure. My wife and I keep hoping one day they will stop making payments and get foreclosed but until then we suffer and wait for one of them to get thrown in jail for good or rob us. We keep the smith and wesson loaded and the state police programmed in all the phones. This is really driving down our property values.
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Sep 28, 2012
The Ultimate Kaptoz wrote:
You are wrong on they build for low income families in the sense that Most of them are black. It use to be for those handicapped or senior citizens whose homes were unrepairable , Now it;s all about what news channel can build the new home at the lowest monthly payment and no rent for a full year , They 9 times out of ten are black young mothers with three and four kids by four different daddies . Those are the facts. Just like the millions of blacks and Hispanics that got zero percent home loans in the sub prime lending forcing banks to lend to those people who were illegals and who could never afford the homes and car loans they were given too default on causing the economy to collapse under GWB, So Obama and his Dems could blame GWB and republicans for the collapse , When in fact the Dems headed the banking and housing committee's in DC, All the way back to Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton who forced banks to make those loans to the poor. Bill cLINTON DID AWAY WITH THE GLASS STERAGALL ACT preventing banks from being involved in those type of loans and investments .Obama is continuing it .
This family is very much white.
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Sep 28, 2012
The Ultimate Kaptoz wrote:
Power and Light company men know them well, there are there every other week disconnecting or reconnecting service since they won't pay the bill on time. Lot of services wasted time and effort on people who really do not care about changing their lifestyle.
just the facts

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Sep 28, 2012
hud houses are in general a nightmare, habitat houses are a different thing, they were never built for free as someone posted. if habitat has gone from helping the elderly and trly disabled then i think they have lost their way. they used to be a good charity but they never built free houses.
Lynn

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Sep 28, 2012
not stupid wrote:
Get a job and pay regular price. Are you black?
LOL

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Sep 28, 2012
Lynn wrote:
<quoted text>Get a job and pay regular price. Are you black?
THEY SEEKIN FREEBIES
not black and employed

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Sep 28, 2012
once again.. only issue is that habitat does not give away free houses, what is wrong with donating time to charity with your time? sorry that the low class trolls have taken over topix, the elderly and disabled used to benefit from the time volunteered, too bad habitat has changed their ways. i agree hud is a nightmare and as long as indy stays this trailer trash mentality there will be more of it.any reasonable left out there head to cincy or chicago topix they actually have reasonable discussions.
abby

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Sep 28, 2012
The guiding principle of the nonprofit Habitat for Humanity, founded in 1976 to build affordable houses for underprivileged families, comes from the Old Testament: "If a brother living near you becomes poor, you must provide for him...do not make a profit on the goods you sell him." But that ethos doesn't carry over to the many banks, brokers, and mortgage servicing companies that deal with Habitat families and, increasingly, are profiting handsomely from the financially naive.
Consider it another consequence of the housing boom. Habitat families are able to buy their homes for much less than full market value. A decade of rising prices has made them wealthier--on paper. At the same time, many are strapped for cash and unsophisticated about credit. For freewheeling brokers and lenders eager for refinancing business, the combination couldn't be better. "Habitat borrowers have targets on their backs," says Michael Calhoun, president of the Durham, N.C. Center for Responsible Lending.
Charles and Ann Williams of St. Paul, Minn., are prime examples. He's a janitor, she's a home child-care provider, and they have three children. Their annual income is $18,187, supplemented by Social Security benefits. In 1995 they built a Habitat house and took a $64,000 mortgage. Since all original mortgages in the Habitat program are interest-free, their monthly payment was just $396.
That changed last year. A flyer advertising an offer to refinance with New Century Financial Corp. in Irvine, Calif., looked tempting. Within three weeks the couple signed papers. The good news was that they were able to unlock $28,000 in equity, money they used to cover debts. But their new $81,000 loan carries an interest rate of 9% and payments of $872 a month, more than half their monthly income. And the loan's adjustable rate can jump to 16% in two years. New Century says it has policies to ensure borrowers know what they're getting into and that it is negotiating with the couple for a new loan on better terms. The Williamses declined comment.
Many other families are being bombarded with offers to refinance out of 0% loans. Jordan Ash, director of the Financial Justice Center at the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, an advocacy group, says lenders are targeting Habitat families with phone calls, mailings, and even personal visits. Habitat affiliates in Indianapolis and Columbus, Ohio, say many clients are getting mail solicitations that look to be from Habitat but are not. "I probably get two phone calls a week," says Dawn Daniels-McNear of the Columbus affiliate.
Limited focus
Famously championed by emissary Jimmy Carter, Habitat is a $145 million-a-year enterprise based in Americus, Ga., with about 2,300 affiliates in some 100 countries and all 50 states. It builds nearly 25,000 homes a year for people who earn 25% to 50% of their area's median income. Applicants contribute about 10 weeks of labor to build their home or others in the community, make a downpayment of $100, and commit to a monthly mortgage payment.
Habitat's focus is mainly on building. Most of the mortgage payments it collects go into a pool to fund more houses. But Habitat also sells scores of loans to banks and outsources to mortgage servicers, some of which impose draconian penalties if people fall behind. They "jam predatory costs and attorney's fees and interest at 18% into the debt," complains April Carrie Charney, a lawyer with Jacksonville Area Legal Aid Inc. in Jacksonville, Fla.
One of Charney's clients is Yolanda Ray Cotton, who bought a home in 2000. When she slipped on payments, the loan's servicer, EverBank Financial Corp., quickly raised fees and threatened foreclosure. Cotton refinanced with Option One Mortgage Corp., a unit of H&R Block Inc. specializing in loans to borrowers with poor credit. Now she's behind on that loan, has racked up $9,925.65 in penalties, and is fighting to stave off foreclosure.
abby

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Sep 28, 2012
The guiding principle of the nonprofit Habitat for Humanity, founded in 1976 to build affordable houses for underprivileged families, comes from the Old Testament: "If a brother living near you becomes poor, you must provide for him...do not make a profit on the goods you sell him." But that ethos doesn't carry over to the many banks, brokers, and mortgage servicing companies that deal with Habitat families and, increasingly, are profiting handsomely from the financially naive.
Consider it another consequence of the housing boom. Habitat families are able to buy their homes for much less than full market value. A decade of rising prices has made them wealthier--on paper. At the same time, many are strapped for cash and unsophisticated about credit. For freewheeling brokers and lenders eager for refinancing business, the combination couldn't be better. "Habitat borrowers have targets on their backs," says Michael Calhoun, president of the Durham, N.C. Center for Responsible Lending.
Charles and Ann Williams of St. Paul, Minn., are prime examples. He's a janitor, she's a home child-care provider, and they have three children. Their annual income is $18,187, supplemented by Social Security benefits. In 1995 they built a Habitat house and took a $64,000 mortgage. Since all original mortgages in the Habitat program are interest-free, their monthly payment was just $396.
That changed last year. A flyer advertising an offer to refinance with New Century Financial Corp. in Irvine, Calif., looked tempting. Within three weeks the couple signed papers. The good news was that they were able to unlock $28,000 in equity, money they used to cover debts. But their new $81,000 loan carries an interest rate of 9% and payments of $872 a month, more than half their monthly income.
abby

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Sep 28, 2012
The family pocketed $28k, took bankruptcy and the house was foreclosed and there are many other cases just like this one. Free house, free money, livin the dream for free.
abby

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Sep 28, 2012
not black and employed wrote:
once again.. only issue is that habitat does not give away free houses, what is wrong with donating time to charity with your time? sorry that the low class trolls have taken over topix, the elderly and disabled used to benefit from the time volunteered, too bad habitat has changed their ways. i agree hud is a nightmare and as long as indy stays this trailer trash mentality there will be more of it.any reasonable left out there head to cincy or chicago topix they actually have reasonable discussions.
meh
confused

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Sep 28, 2012
abby wrote:
<quoted text>
meh
this is a free house how? no one is defending the current habitat but how does this equal a free house?
abby

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Sep 28, 2012
confused wrote:
<quoted text>this is a free house how? no one is defending the current habitat but how does this equal a free house?
did you not read the article? money is being made off of these deals. the people are paying very little and by the time they refinance they are paying none at all. maybe they put in a few hours working here and there but thats about it.
info

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Sep 28, 2012
Jim,
You are so wrong. She is a 23 yr old african-american female, single, with 3 kids, and going to college.
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
This family is very much white.
screw em

Kendallville, IN

#20 Sep 28, 2012
If you elect to have kids while unemployed you deserve nothing but poverty, and it is you that put the kids there.
Society needs to stop blaming everyone elses problems on idiots with 0 common sense, and start pressing charges on mothers who would negligently bring a child into poverty for government assistance, anywhere else it would be considered child neglect...in the innercities its called the crackers fault.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cop arrested on third DUI (Mar '07) 17 min advocate in IL 133
William montez 4 hr Mr Wu 2
K-mart's shutting down 8 hr Son of Anarchy 17
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) 8 hr Son of Anarchy 302
jack cottey deceased 18 hr Beetlejuice 6
I'm so glad I'm white Wed bud 4
10th st Wed Stevie 1
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match

Indianapolis Jobs