Illegal immigration bill targets firms

Jan 4, 2008 | Posted by: the 48th ronin | Full story: www.indystar.com

Employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants could lose their right to do business in Indiana under proposed legislation that would make the state's penalties among the stiffest in the country.

Comments
1 - 20 of 681 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2008
First Prev
of 35
Next Last

“You think it is ok, so what!”

Since: Jun 07

The freeway or the water

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 4, 2008
 
side bar says......

Bill at a glance

The illegal- immigration bill Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel, plans to file next week would:

• Subject an employer to three years of probation if it’s found to have knowingly hired illegal immigrants.

• Revoke a business’s licenses to operate in Indiana if it is found guilty a second time during the probation period.

• Force employers to verify employment eligibility through the federal E-Verify program after Dec. 31, 2008.

• Make it a Class A misdemeanor to transport, shield from detection, conceal or harbor an illegal immigrant. Subsequent offenses would become felonies.

• Puts the attorney general in charge of investigating complaints of businesses violating the law.

• Requires the Superintendent of the State Police to work with the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement division to obtain training in assisting with the enforcement of federal immigration law.

• Prohibits any unit of government from entering into a contract with a firm that employs an illegal immigrant.

• Requires all hospitals to report total costs of care for illegal immigrants to the Indiana State Department of Health.
— Star report

sounds like a great bill to me!

“Apply directly until it hurts”

Since: May 07

Los Gatos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 4, 2008
 
Something we should keep in mind is that one seventh of the US population is now Hispanic and unless a 100 billion barrel US oil discovery is made tomorrow, our quality of life is irreducibly linked to the quality of our population and California's future looks very poor indeed.

The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) 2005 assessment results for 8th grade Science indicate the following:

White scores: 28% Below Basic, 35% Basic, 34% Proficient and 4% Advanced.
Hispanic scores: 67% Below Basic, 24% Basic, 9% Proficient and < 1% Advanced

The facts for NAEP Report for Science:
http://nationsreportcard.gov/science_2005/s01...

“You think it is ok, so what!”

Since: Jun 07

The freeway or the water

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 4, 2008
 
Toadal wrote:
Something we should keep in mind is that one seventh of the US population is now Hispanic and unless a 100 billion barrel US oil discovery is made tomorrow, our quality of life is irreducibly linked to the quality of our population and California's future looks very poor indeed.
The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) 2005 assessment results for 8th grade Science indicate the following:
White scores: 28% Below Basic, 35% Basic, 34% Proficient and 4% Advanced.
Hispanic scores: 67% Below Basic, 24% Basic, 9% Proficient and < 1% Advanced
The facts for NAEP Report for Science:
http://nationsreportcard.gov/science_2005/s01...
Bogus numbers that MEAN NOTHING!

Given our education system is based in English and the majority of Hispanic students are less proficient in English such "testing" is BOGUS, it demonstrates the language difficulty without addressing the remedies or the reason the language difficulty is allowed to continue the disparity.

The problem here is illegal aliens of many cultures and languages being here without permission while millions await their permission to come contribute to our country.

The problem STEMS from the poor quality of life for the majority of the population of most countries that contribute illegal aliens to the problem.

The problem is NOT that any one group of people are not educable, but the efficacy of educating them and factually the reason why America should be doing so at cost to our own development.

Charity is a private function, Not a government function.

The use of the power of the government ( through taxes) to demand all citizens deliver of their own property to a fund to improve life for non citizens with illegal entry the discriminator that decides which of the billions of needy get succor. The destruction of the living standards of the "working class" American as their jobs are lost to slave replacements who might be bettering their condition, but only at great cost to the people being supplanted ILLEGALLY. These are the problems.. The numbers you post here have no bearing on the real problems, nor do they point to real solutions...

“Rubin's racing and vice versa”

Since: Nov 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 4, 2008
 
Great job Indiana. One more state added to the list along with Arizona and Oklahoma! Good job! Hey Mexican can ya say " Hoooosier daddy"? LMAO

“Enforce the law”

Since: Aug 07

Denver

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 5, 2008
 
We need more more of this across America. Screw enforcement at the federal level. If they have done their jobs years ago none of this would be necessary.
GoodIdea

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 5, 2008
 
This is a very good idea. If they are in this country they need to be legal. That is not asking to much.
Missin Home

Tananger, Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 5, 2008
 
Wild _ Turkey 101 wrote:
Great job Indiana. One more state added to the list along with Arizona and Oklahoma! Good job! Hey Mexican can ya say " Hoooosier daddy"? LMAO
I like that, thanks for the laugh. I hope it passes.

“You think it is ok, so what!”

Since: Jun 07

The freeway or the water

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 5, 2008
 
jmark40 wrote:
We need more more of this across America. Screw enforcement at the federal level. If they have done their jobs years ago none of this would be necessary.
http://federalistblog.us/2006/07/delegated_po...
What

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 5, 2008
 
the 48th ronin wrote:
<quoted text>
Bogus numbers that MEAN NOTHING!
Given our education system is based in English and the majority of Hispanic students are less proficient in English such "testing" is BOGUS, it demonstrates the language difficulty without addressing the remedies or the reason the language difficulty is allowed to continue the disparity.
The problem here is illegal aliens of many cultures and languages being here without permission while millions await their permission to come contribute to our country.
The problem STEMS from the poor quality of life for the majority of the population of most countries that contribute illegal aliens to the problem.
The problem is NOT that any one group of people are not educable, but the efficacy of educating them and factually the reason why America should be doing so at cost to our own development.
Charity is a private function, Not a government function.
The use of the power of the government ( through taxes) to demand all citizens deliver of their own property to a fund to improve life for non citizens with illegal entry the discriminator that decides which of the billions of needy get succor. The destruction of the living standards of the "working class" American as their jobs are lost to slave replacements who might be bettering their condition, but only at great cost to the people being supplanted ILLEGALLY. These are the problems.. The numbers you post here have no bearing on the real problems, nor do they point to real solutions...
English is the language of this country. You would spend tax dollars to teach english to people that are here illegaly???

The poor quality of life in other countries is a problem that should be addressed by the people in those countries. Maybe you should go to one of these countries and lend a hand.

Government welfare is a charity the is way over used by illeagals.

The rest of your statement rambles and makes little sense.
kool

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 5, 2008
 
I hope it will pass...
ErodingPatience

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 5, 2008
 
Any time you have someone demanding you not do something because "It's someone else's job to do it", they're skirting the main issue. This bill punishes employers who "knowingly" hire illegals. So, two chances are more than enough.
ErodingPatience

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 5, 2008
 
You cannot compare "white" people to hispanics for contrast. Hispanics are caucasians (white).

“Enforce the law”

Since: Aug 07

Denver

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 5, 2008
 
the 48th ronin wrote:
Very nice reading, thank you.
States rights have been eroded since the civil war. Once again the courts will interpret.
Shelbyville Grandma

Shelbyville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 5, 2008
 
It is important that we contact our legislators and support this bill regarding ILLEGAL immigration. I'm all for anyone coming to our country to find a better life, but we must insist they do it legally! We must start somewhere and the federal government isn't going to do it for us.
One

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 5, 2008
 
The law would be unenforceable. The portion of the law that states "knowingly hires" is where the problem lies. Most illegals have forged documants that allow them to get employment. Therefore the empoloyer will have not broken the law. I am suspecting the Senator Delph is using this as a political move due to the property tax issue.
USA

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 5, 2008
 
One wrote:
The law would be unenforceable. The portion of the law that states "knowingly hires" is where the problem lies. Most illegals have forged documants that allow them to get employment. Therefore the empoloyer will have not broken the law. I am suspecting the Senator Delph is using this as a political move due to the property tax issue.
You're a Democratic tool that can't stand change. Go backwards, and then blame it on the Republican controlled government.

Your post tells the whole story.

“oneoldvet.com”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 5, 2008
 
Congrats Mike on having the courage to take a stand on this.

Using the E-Verify program is an inexpensive way to ensure your workforce is eligible to work in the U.S. and at the same time affords the employer a safe harbor against any successful litigation from the ILLEGAL employee and prosecution from the state.

Now to those of you who think this is a good idea I suggest you contact a group like Hoosiers for Secure Borders or I.F.I.R.E. to see what you can do to help to ensure this bill's passage.

Click on my picture on the left to locate these organization's links.

Since: Apr 07

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 5, 2008
 
“Many of the people who are employing illegal immigrants are the same people who are making significant political contributions to our elected officials,” he said.“There will be a lot of back pressure from the chamber of commerce and business interests.”

Gee,the people that are hiring illegals and supporting this invasion don't like the idea?

There's a first. LOL.

I noticed the article mentioned skin color.
Trying to play the race card does not work anymore. There are illegal invaders from Ireland,China that are confirmed in the U.S.A.

Illegal immigration has nothing to do with race.

The property taxes and illegal immigration are directly related.

Citizens property tax pay for schooling and social benefits for illegal alien families.

The U.S.A. is going broke helping everyone but the U.S.A. citizens.

mojo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 5, 2008
 
50,000?
That number has to be low. Just go to any Walmart, construction jobsite etc., anywhere in the state & hispanics dominate by large numbers. I would easily say double that number.
Shirley Wardzinski

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 5, 2008
 
It's about time-----if the Federal government wont do it then the States have to. If they are really sincere about stopping illegal imigration, that is!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 35
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indy 500 1 hr AllAmerican 1
shannon mascoe 2 hr rebell yell 1
isis Solution 2 hr ISISMIDAS 1
The Isis Solotion 3 hr ISISMIDAS 1
Courts tell Indiana to honor gay marriages from... 3 hr Blackology 7
Obama the race monger 4 hr Blackology 7
Debate: Ferguson - Indianapolis, IN 4 hr Blackology 9

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Indianapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Indianapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianapolis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••