Girls' dad convicted in fatal '06 crash

Girls' dad convicted in fatal '06 crash

There are 71 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 29, 2008, titled Girls' dad convicted in fatal '06 crash. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? Maybe You Need to Schedule a Service Appointment or Test Drive? Tom Wood Volkswagen, Indiana's Premier VW Dealer, Can Do It All Tom Wood Ford Tom Wood Ford offers ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

United States

#62 Mar 2, 2008
Drugs are bad wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is today's lesson, class:
http://ohsr.od.nih.gov/guidelines/belmont.htm...
Thanks for the link .... I will certainly check it out ..... doing so with cautious skeptisism.

You brought up Bayer, the holocaust and entities with skeletons in their closets ---- you might want to look into the closet of psychiatry and "mental health" ----- because it was the mind-set of this "science" which brought about the holocaust..... Fact.
Drugs are bad

Indianapolis, IN

#63 Mar 2, 2008
As it is, I am a psychology major - but I despise research. Does that make sense? Haha. The website I posted does explain the whole informed consent aspect - including subjects who cannot consent themselves. Deception is only allowed when absolutely necessary - and even then, it has certain guidelines that must be followed. In all my classes we touched up this subject, but in one we talked a bit more about it.

I am a research assistant (which I know is another contradiction, but it's for the experience), but then again, how much harm can a college experiment do? This one won't do anything - I just really need the experience for grad school. But the point is, I just had to become certified in the risks of human participation research, so I just did this whole thing on it, and know that there are things that you have to follow to protect and how you have to disclose as much as possible to the participants (or to the participant's guardian if they cannot give consensus), and that there are only extremely extreme cases where harm is not okay per se, but more acceptable.

I am most definitely an untraditional college student. I am older than most college students who have the same amount of credits as I do, but younger still than some. I have been through so much, and I do not believe everything I hear/read/learn about - especially in psychology (psychotherapy and Freud? NO WAY!). But then again, keeping an open mind is what is important in this field, and trusting a researcher to do their job and do it right is a big thing. As a participant in a research project, a person has every right to bow out at any time before or during the experiment. This is communicated clearly to all guardians and participants.

By the way, my goal with my degree is to work in a domestic violence shelter. I am hoping to start graduate school in the fall of 2009 and become a marriage and family therapist (only because this is what is closest to my wishes and desires) and be able to actually counsel the women and children who come in to escape the things they have to go through in their homes. Research can help me, but I don't want to do it.

There are fuzzy areas in all walks of life. That's a fact. You cannot trust anyone/thing 100%. People are people and they aren't perfect.(This doesn't make me a pessimist - it's a more generalized and simplified statement than I actually believe).
Drugs are bad

Indianapolis, IN

#64 Mar 2, 2008
oh2beme wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the link .... I will certainly check it out ..... doing so with cautious skeptisism.
You brought up Bayer, the holocaust and entities with skeletons in their closets ---- you might want to look into the closet of psychiatry and "mental health" ----- because it was the mind-set of this "science" which brought about the holocaust..... Fact.
Show me proof of this fact, for that's what is intriguing. Any one person can use any sort of knowledge in any way.

Even though there are many things put in place to keep bias out of research, a researcher could really find anything they wanted. A person could find any sort of proof to prove a point they want to make, and another person could find any research or proof to prove the first person wrong.

What even got us so off topic of the topic at hand? Haha.

United States

#65 Mar 2, 2008
Drugs are bad wrote:
As it is, I am a psychology major - but I despise research. Does that make sense? Haha. The website I posted does explain the whole informed consent aspect - including subjects who cannot consent themselves. Deception is only allowed when absolutely necessary - and even then, it has certain guidelines that must be followed. In all my classes we touched up this subject, but in one we talked a bit more about it.
I am a research assistant (which I know is another contradiction, but it's for the experience), but then again, how much harm can a college experiment do? This one won't do anything - I just really need the experience for grad school. But the point is, I just had to become certified in the risks of human participation research, so I just did this whole thing on it, and know that there are things that you have to follow to protect and how you have to disclose as much as possible to the participants (or to the participant's guardian if they cannot give consensus), and that there are only extremely extreme cases where harm is not okay per se, but more acceptable.
I am most definitely an untraditional college student. I am older than most college students who have the same amount of credits as I do, but younger still than some. I have been through so much, and I do not believe everything I hear/read/learn about - especially in psychology (psychotherapy and Freud? NO WAY!). But then again, keeping an open mind is what is important in this field, and trusting a researcher to do their job and do it right is a big thing. As a participant in a research project, a person has every right to bow out at any time before or during the experiment. This is communicated clearly to all guardians and participants.
By the way, my goal with my degree is to work in a domestic violence shelter. I am hoping to start graduate school in the fall of 2009 and become a marriage and family therapist (only because this is what is closest to my wishes and desires) and be able to actually counsel the women and children who come in to escape the things they have to go through in their homes. Research can help me, but I don't want to do it.
There are fuzzy areas in all walks of life. That's a fact. You cannot trust anyone/thing 100%. People are people and they aren't perfect.(This doesn't make me a pessimist - it's a more generalized and simplified statement than I actually believe).
Interesting ---- what prompted you to choose this field of study? Was it becuase, you "have been through so much"?

United States

#66 Mar 2, 2008
Drugs are bad wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me proof of this fact, for that's what is intriguing. Any one person can use any sort of knowledge in any way.
Even though there are many things put in place to keep bias out of research, a researcher could really find anything they wanted. A person could find any sort of proof to prove a point they want to make, and another person could find any research or proof to prove the first person wrong.
What even got us so off topic of the topic at hand? Haha.
Drugs and drug treatment -- that is what got this all started .... Guy has an accident, unfortunately his children are killed, he tests positive for drugs and automatically ----- drugs kill ---- and drug treatment works ... Not

That's what started us down this path.
Drugs are bad

Indianapolis, IN

#67 Mar 2, 2008
My father emotionally and physically abused me. A couple years ago A&E (I think) had a special on this. It made such an impact on me that I am wanting to make this my life's work.
adding to the craziness

United States

#68 Mar 3, 2008
drew wrote:
<quoted text>
pot had nothing to do with this crash a-hole. this choad could have just as easily been talking on the cell phone. get a grip.
I have never done pot, so I have no idea what it does you you. Let give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say that he hadn't smoked any pot that day (story didn't say he did or didnt). He still didn't put his kids in car seats or seat belts and they died because of it. That is the crime! It has been proven that kids in car seats stand a much better chance of survival in an accident that is why it is the law. He was neglectful and they died. End of story!
Hippie

United States

#69 Mar 3, 2008
Your Mind on Drugs wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a video that shows results of scientific studies via MRI of those who had significant histories of MJ use. The users' brains showed major effects compared to brains of non-users and even light/sporadic users. I never gave the possible effects of weed much thought until in a job via which I had access to such info PUBLISHED NOT BY U.S. GOVERNMENT. After seeing the video, I then understood the behaviors and limited cognitive functioning of known long-term stonies who came in for drug treatment. When one has an open mind to learning, there is a much greater opportunity to absorb relevant info.
Is that the one where they make a monkey smoke pot, cut out his brain, put said brain in a blender, look at the cells under a microscope, and say pot is bad for you?

United States

#70 Mar 3, 2008
Hippie wrote:
<quoted text>Is that the one where they make a monkey smoke pot, cut out his brain, put said brain in a blender, look at the cells under a microscope, and say pot is bad for you?
yep er .... that be the one, and the sequel is the piano player taking a header out of the hallway window.

“PULL UP YOUR PANTS!”

Since: Mar 07

Fishers, IN

#71 Mar 4, 2008
DavidM wrote:
<quoted text>
The biggest problem with smoking pot is it is mixed with alcohol most of the time, but not this may not be true in all cases.
I have always tried to be honest here when posting in these forums so here I will explain my views and experiences with pot.
I was a slow learner when it came to the prominence of things of this nature, because of my parents and where I grew up. But I slowly learned thru life experiences. I smoked pot for about 10 years of my life and found that the effect of it did not change your personality as such.(Yes and I did inhale) If you wanted to be successful in life, you had that same drive with or without pot.(I find alcohol is completely different in this area.) If you are a person with no drive and want to lay around like some folks do, you will do the same thing while under the effects of pot. In fact I worked in a small successful business at the time and all people there smoked. I found that pot did not lead to harder drugs in itself but the atmosphere that you are in may do just that.
As far as pot being addictive, it is not addictive on the body but mentally it can have some effect. I quit all at once and I must say mentally I missed it for some time.
Should it be made legal? I donít think you will ever see the day when you can walk into the store and buy a pack of smokes. I am not saying that it should or should not be made legal but the question that comes to mind is, Would this product make society better?
It is so nice to read a lucid comment instead of the illogical ad homs that seem to be so prevalent here.

I think prohibition has made society worse by creating a black market for these kinds of things and all the lawlessness associated with them. It follows the model of alcohol prohibition remove the flawed laws, remove a profit center from the lawless elements. I think would overall benefit society. But I, like you, don't think we will see it in our lifetime.

United States

#72 Mar 4, 2008
Dorn wrote:
<quoted text>
It is so nice to read a lucid comment instead of the illogical ad homs that seem to be so prevalent here.
I think prohibition has made society worse by creating a black market for these kinds of things and all the lawlessness associated with them. It follows the model of alcohol prohibition remove the flawed laws, remove a profit center from the lawless elements. I think would overall benefit society. But I, like you, don't think we will see it in our lifetime.
You are absolutely correct Dorn

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shelton Figley anyone know him? 9 hr freak show 39
News Hogsett proposes free or reduced-cost housing f... 15 hr Wish 1
roger wethington 20 hr little lady 5
Another local Business goes to China Fri PC_KID 1
News Dog flu reaching epidemic levels in Chicagoland... Fri Wish 1
News Dry out that basement fast, or risk costly mold... Fri right 3
News No ballot photos? ACLU says no way Fri rjwampler 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages