4 Indiana dog breeders listed in 'Hor...

4 Indiana dog breeders listed in 'Horrible Hundred' puppy mills

There are 29 comments on the WTHR-TV Indianapolis story from May 20, 2018, titled 4 Indiana dog breeders listed in 'Horrible Hundred' puppy mills. In it, WTHR-TV Indianapolis reports that:

INDIANAPOLIS - Four Indiana dog breeders have the negative distinction of making the Humane Society's "Horrible Hundred" list of puppy mills across the country. This is the sixth year for the report.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHR-TV Indianapolis.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#1 May 20, 2018
Puppy mills should be shut down and their owners prosecuted, not protected. People should know where their potential pets come from.
truther

Indianapolis, IN

#2 May 21, 2018
cpeter1313 wrote:
Puppy mills should be shut down and their owners prosecuted, not protected. People should know where their potential pets come from.
They know. They dont care.
truther

United States

#3 May 21, 2018
Anytime you bring up animal abuse trump trash starts in about abortion as if the 2 are exclusively mutual.
Brian825

Cincinnati, OH

#4 May 21, 2018
Captain Obvious

Essex, MD

#5 May 22, 2018
Food for thought. If people don't buy those puppies, what becomes of them? Isn't removing the pups from that environment by purchasing them a rescue?

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#6 May 31, 2018
cpeter1313 wrote:
Puppy mills should be shut down and their owners prosecuted, not protected. People should know where their potential pets come from.
Or maybe people should have the freedom to purchase a dog anywhere they want and if "puppy mills" are bad, they won't be in business any longer.

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#7 May 31, 2018
Captain Obvious wrote:
Food for thought. If people don't buy those puppies, what becomes of them? Isn't removing the pups from that environment by purchasing them a rescue?
No no no. Logic is not allowed here. only emotional ramblings of the mentally unstable.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#8 May 31, 2018
1) There are laws against animal cruelty.
2) Puppy mills are horrible and have been for decades. They also tend to overbreed and inbreed, causing many congenital health issues. They usually kill the puppies that are deformed, and even the basically fit ones soon become ill from poor treatment and poor nutrition. The public doesn't same the worst parts of the industry.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe people should have the freedom to purchase a dog anywhere they want and if "puppy mills" are bad, they won't be in business any longer.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#9 May 31, 2018
BTW--you're behind the times. Animal testing does not save lives; in fact, more and more testing has shown that animal reactions to most drugs, cosmetics, etc, are nothing like the reactions of humans. Human testing is still the only reliable testing protocol.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>

No no no. Logic is not allowed here. only emotional ramblings of the mentally unstable.
cpeter1313

Indianapolis, IN

#10 May 31, 2018
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>1) There are laws against animal cruelty.
2) Puppy mills are horrible and have been for decades. They also tend to overbreed and inbreed, causing many congenital health issues. They usually kill the puppies that are deformed, and even the basically fit ones soon become ill from poor treatment and poor nutrition. The public doesn't same the worst parts of the industry.
Trump supporters are ok with puppy mills.

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#11 Jun 3, 2018
cpeter1313 wrote:
BTW--you're behind the times. Animal testing does not save lives; in fact, more and more testing has shown that animal reactions to most drugs, cosmetics, etc, are nothing like the reactions of humans. Human testing is still the only reliable testing protocol.

<quoted text>
That is a misrepresentation of animal research. While it is true that critters and people react differently to drugs and cosmetics, it is still an important first step. testing on critters is one of many important steps in the process of determining if something is safe for humans. If it is given to a critter and there are complications, then researchers attempt to understand why it led to complications. Human testing is the most reliable but animal testing lessens the amount of dangerous chemicals that are tested on humans. Animal rights nutters misrepresent and deceive the public as it relates to animal research. I am not sure if they are simply misguided or lie intentionally. Either way, they do a disservice to mankind.

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#12 Jun 3, 2018
cpeter1313 wrote:
1) There are laws against animal cruelty.
2) Puppy mills are horrible and have been for decades. They also tend to overbreed and inbreed, causing many congenital health issues. They usually kill the puppies that are deformed, and even the basically fit ones soon become ill from poor treatment and poor nutrition. The public doesn't same the worst parts of the industry.

<quoted text>
why keep deformed puppies alive? I recall my pet cats having deformed kittens when I was kid. The mother cat stopped caring for them and kicked them out of the nest. I took them back and the mother dragged them out again. My mom told me that is the way nature works and she was right. Nobody wants deformed puppies. Deformed puppies have more deformed puppies. People want healthy puppies..and rightfully so. Rather than reducing "puppy mills," they should put down more unwanted dogs.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#13 Jun 4, 2018
My sister ran an animal recue for years, and adopted out many deformed dogs and cats. For many animals, deformities can be adapted to, or can be remediated medically or mechanically. The animals are just s happy as their peers.

Puppy mills do not breed healthy puppies; that's why so many purebred puppies have congenital problems that you may not even notice until they are adults. They['re overbred and inbred, accentuating the physical issues found within breeds. Hip dysplasia is very common in larger breeds, but it won't show up during puppyhood. Would you kill the adult dog because their hind legs are dysfunctional?

Shouldn't we kill off deformed humans?
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>

why keep deformed puppies alive? I recall my pet cats having deformed kittens when I was kid. The mother cat stopped caring for them and kicked them out of the nest. I took them back and the mother dragged them out again. My mom told me that is the way nature works and she was right. Nobody wants deformed puppies. Deformed puppies have more deformed puppies. People want healthy puppies..and rightfully so. Rather than reducing "puppy mills," they should put down more unwanted dogs.

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#14 Jun 4, 2018
cpeter1313 wrote:
My sister ran an animal recue for years, and adopted out many deformed dogs and cats. For many animals, deformities can be adapted to, or can be remediated medically or mechanically. The animals are just s happy as their peers.

Puppy mills do not breed healthy puppies; that's why so many purebred puppies have congenital problems that you may not even notice until they are adults. They['re overbred and inbred, accentuating the physical issues found within breeds. Hip dysplasia is very common in larger breeds, but it won't show up during puppyhood. Would you kill the adult dog because their hind legs are dysfunctional?

Shouldn't we kill off deformed humans?

<quoted text>
inbreeding would show up on their papers. Dysplastic dogs should not be bred. that is how one uses genetics to prevent problems. mutts have no documented history and the history of defects is unknown.

If someone wants to put down their dysplastic dog, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#15 Jun 4, 2018
cpeter1313 wrote:
Shouldn't we kill off deformed humans?

<quoted text>
Why would you conflate humans and dogs? humans are important. Dogs are only important to their owner. Dogs are more like cars and sofas. After they are worn out and more trouble than they are worth, I see no problem with letting them go (up to the owner of course). Humans are different.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#16 Jun 4, 2018
Papers only show the pedigree of the sire and bitch, not necessarily their relation to each other. Puppy mills don't breed to improve the species; they breed to make a buck off of highly-priced animals.

Mutts by definition have little inbreeding, and a broader genetic background even if bred with a sibling. Mutts also tend to be far healthier than purebreds.

Killing an otherwise-healthy animal instead of doing what you can to help it means you shouldn't have pets at all. They're not disposable conveniences.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>

inbreeding would show up on their papers. Dysplastic dogs should not be bred. that is how one uses genetics to prevent problems. mutts have no documented history and the history of defects is unknown.

If someone wants to put down their dysplastic dog, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#17 Jun 4, 2018
Yeah--don't have pets.

The are over 7 billion humans on this planet. Maybe 5% of them are important. You are important only to yourself. When you become a burden to someone else, I trust you won't object to being snuffed.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>

Why would you conflate humans and dogs? humans are important. Dogs are only important to their owner. Dogs are more like cars and sofas. After they are worn out and more trouble than they are worth, I see no problem with letting them go (up to the owner of course). Humans are different.

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#18 Jun 4, 2018
cpeter1313 wrote:
Papers only show the pedigree of the sire and bitch, not necessarily their relation to each other. Puppy mills don't breed to improve the species; they breed to make a buck off of highly-priced animals.

Mutts by definition have little inbreeding, and a broader genetic background even if bred with a sibling. Mutts also tend to be far healthier than purebreds.

Killing an otherwise-healthy animal instead of doing what you can to help it means you shouldn't have pets at all. They're not disposable conveniences.

<quoted text>
actually, they do show the hisotry. I had a dog with papers. I saw back like 8 generations. Long time ago.

Mutts occur when people don't get their dog fixed. Their health and genetic background are unknown.

I have not stated what I would do with a pet. I will point out that pets are property. It is up to each individual what to do with their own property. I find your position of telling people what to do with their possessions to be very very very dangerous.
mynank

Chatham, IL

#20 Jun 15, 2018
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>Why would you conflate humans and dogs? humans are important. Dogs are only important to their owner. Dogs are more like cars and sofas. After they are worn out and more trouble than they are worth, I see no problem with letting them go (up to the owner of course). Humans are different.
Humans suck.

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#21 Jun 18, 2018
mynank wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans suck.
I think all living organism suck in their own way. All of them are fighting for resources and that causes death in their own and other species. It is simply the way of the world. Humans are no different than other critters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump Claims... 7 hr NBH 3
A Simple Truth About Democrats 11 hr Sandra 2
Brian Bosma POS! 15 hr lol 2
Joe Donnelly 17 hr Public RESTROOM T... 7
News Let it Out (May '07) 17 hr nope 287
hoa Mon nope 4
News Indiana takes no action on hate crime legislation Sun exactly 2

Indianapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages