Full time job but cant live on your own

Posted in the Indianapolis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#1 Apr 7, 2013
More often then not, I see people work a full time job and not make enough to live out on their own. You don't see this stat because most younger people live with their parents much longer than in the past.I'm scared to see what this country will look like after the young spend their inheritance of the people who had real paying jobs. Many kids are so spoiled because the parents work and bail them out of every problem.
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Apr 8, 2013
They make enough, they just choose not to take responsibility for independent living. This isn't necessarily a problem, and families should do what works for them. If a parent is willing to allow adult children to exploit them financially, that really is a family dynamic that is none of our business.

“NOT RUSSIAN”

Since: May 08

and not from Russia

#3 Apr 8, 2013
Quite frankly, I am very happy to share an apartment with others. I'm not fussy, and don't require a lot of privacy. My two roommates are quiet for the most part and pay their bills on time. One of them happens to be my son. I am not exploited financially. We each pay $190/mo for rent and split the utilities x3.

As an adult, I would have NEVER be able to afford the cost of a one-bedroom apartment on my own, unless I like being broke-azz all the time, which I don't.

Please try not to be surprised that people are banding together. The economy demands it.
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#4 Apr 8, 2013
Russia1513 wrote:
Quite frankly, I am very happy to share an apartment with others. I'm not fussy, and don't require a lot of privacy. My two roommates are quiet for the most part and pay their bills on time. One of them happens to be my son. I am not exploited financially. We each pay $190/mo for rent and split the utilities x3.
As an adult, I would have NEVER be able to afford the cost of a one-bedroom apartment on my own, unless I like being broke-azz all the time, which I don't.
Please try not to be surprised that people are banding together. The economy demands it.
That explains how you are surviving on what you said you made. Yes, this is a sign of the times which will expand.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#5 Apr 8, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>That explains how you are surviving on what you said you made. Yes, this is a sign of the times which will expand.
Isn't it sad, salary vs. cost of living.
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#6 Apr 8, 2013
Duchess 29631 wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't it sad, salary vs. cost of living.
Back in the 1980's cost of living went into every monthly pay check. That ended in the early 90's with a promise of pay adjustment as required by inflation. We never got another cost of living adjustment after that. I guess inflation never happened. If you looked at minimum wage in 1969 $1.60 an hour, and gas at 19.9 cents per gallon for cheap regular, minimum wage would have to be $32.00 an hour to buy gas at $3.98 a gallon. At least I made $1.60 an hour until I became a Teamster at $3.11 an hour in 1970.$3.11 an hour was a decent wage at that time. Gee why can't people make it on $7.25,$11.00, or $15.00 an hour after purchasing health insurance, living by themselves, unless they live a very sparce life. Has minimum wage kept up with inflation???? Can it?? No major industry, providing good paying jobs = a citizenry further taxed to death by a government that overspends. We appear to be going the way of ancient Rome, down, slowly perhaps, but down.
Faux News Rhetoric

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Apr 8, 2013
You mean trickle down economics ain't workin'?

You people have been supporting the very politicians that have been screwing you.

All a politician has to say is she/he believes in Jesus and you'll support that individual. Irregardless of their allegiance to business and big moneyed interest.

Americans vote for millionaires and legacy politicians to serve in the offices of power within government and wonder why their interests are not being represented. Hell,I bet you folks supported Dan "Lobbyist" Coats.

Plus,y'all had fun denigrating the efforts of the labor movement of the early 20th century in previous threads....But now you whine for the benefits of that same movement? And,you have the audacity to lament the diminishing of the middle class?

Ain't that just rich!
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Apr 9, 2013
Russia1513 wrote:
As I said, each family has to do what works for them. I was very driven from a young age to be independent in all facets of my life. It resulted in me leaving home at age 18 and never looking back. Those first 4 years I had roommates in college, but I graduated into a hot job market in the late 90s and relocated to a new city and started living on my own. I lived on my own for 6 years until I got married. If your son pays his share (only you know for sure if this is true), then he is not exploiting you. That statement was made towards people who allow adult children to exploit them and they know who they are. Pooling resources is never a bad idea, but there is a certain aspect of living independently that really can't be quantified financially.
Thurston Howell IV

Matthews, IN

#9 Apr 9, 2013
At the country-club,we're always poking fun at the underclass. They're so shallow and stupid,they'll swallow anything and anyone with a name brand. It's funny and it's pathetic.

What do you call people with less than 1,000,000,000 in liquidity?

What do you call people that have never owned their own business?

What do call wage earners?

What do you call students enrolled at public schools?

What do you call people that have never attended a private school?

What do you call people that can't afford membership of a country-club?

What do you call the politically unconnected?

What do you call people over 30 years of age who cannot afford to own their home?

What do we call people of color?

What do we call the unemployed?

What do we call people dependent upon frivolous and needless safety-nets such as Social Security,Medicare and Medicaid?

The Answer To The Above List Of Questions Is,

Losers.

I'm Thurston Chadwick Howell IV

Proud American

Proud Christian

Proud Conservative

Proud Republican
Moe XXX

Matthews, IN

#10 Apr 9, 2013
You people are not working hard enough. Or is it hardly working?

Hard work = Fulfilling rewards.

Having brains = More earning power.

You people act as if there's a conspiracy between business and government to keep wages down. Is the man keeping you down? Or are you just not working hard enough to reap the rewards of a productive life?
ok1

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Apr 9, 2013
The day I have to have roommates, I will go into a shelter.
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#12 Apr 9, 2013
ok1 wrote:
The day I have to have roommates, I will go into a shelter.
If you have roommates you are already in a shelter, why move?
Personal Responsibility

Matthews, IN

#13 Apr 11, 2013
If some of you were not spending your meager earnings on marijuana,perhaps you could pass a drug test and get a real grownup type of job with genuine grownup pay.

“NOT RUSSIAN”

and not from Russia

#14 Apr 11, 2013
Personal Responsibility wrote:
If some of you were not spending your meager earnings on marijuana,perhaps you could pass a drug test and get a real grownup type of job with genuine grownup pay.
Some of us can already pass a drug test, and some of us don't want to make rich landlords even RICHER by finding new, stupider, and MORE EXPENSIVE ways to blow money. SOME of us are NOT COMPLAINING.

Keep buying the 'bachelor/masters/doctorate education' bullshit. IT's a RACKET. Seems to be plenty of college graduates sittin' around with their dicks in their hands with ROOMMATES and no jobs!!!
One Toke Over The Line

Matthews, IN

#15 Apr 11, 2013
Russia1513 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of us can already pass a drug test, and some of us don't want to make rich landlords even RICHER by finding new, stupider, and MORE EXPENSIVE ways to blow money. SOME of us are NOT COMPLAINING.
Keep buying the 'bachelor/masters/doctorate education' bullshit. IT's a RACKET. Seems to be plenty of college graduates sittin' around with their dicks in their hands with ROOMMATES and no jobs!!!
Those rich landlords are JOB CREATORS. They have earned their wealth. In fact,I do believe they should be entitled to more tax breaks.

Speaking of Bachelor/Masters/Doctorate,whi ch one of these do you currently have?

With that brilliant mind of yours,I'm guessing you posses the Doctorate. Having said that,since you work in a hospital,you should ask the administrators and other high paid staff at the hospital how their degrees are working out for them. After doing that,you should spend some time reflecting as to how you became an underachiever whilst being in possession of such a brilliant mind.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#16 Apr 11, 2013
I guess to each his own. I would never discourage a person that is contemplating college. Mine paid off. I can't imagine where I'd be if I had never attended.
Moe

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Apr 11, 2013
You could had a better man than that Duke AA1!
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Apr 12, 2013
A college degree is a gateway to getting an interview, and that is all. At that point, you have to be socially capable and charismatic to land a good job. Educational credentials alone are not going to carry you very far, but they can be a great supplement to your career if you are not a complete disaster on a social/human interaction level. College did for me exactly what it should have done. It didn't prepare me with the skill-set needed for any specific job, but it did prepare me with how to manage my time effectively and produce desired results, which is a requirement for almost ALL jobs. That has been a priceless skill that I took from my college experience. The degree is important to open the door to the opportunities, but it won't guarantee you anything.

“NOT RUSSIAN”

and not from Russia

#19 Apr 12, 2013
Linda Bledsoe wrote:
A college degree is a gateway to getting an interview, and that is all. At that point, you have to be socially capable and charismatic to land a good job. Educational credentials alone are not going to carry you very far, but they can be a great supplement to your career if you are not a complete disaster on a social/human interaction level. College did for me exactly what it should have done. It didn't prepare me with the skill-set needed for any specific job, but it did prepare me with how to manage my time effectively and produce desired results, which is a requirement for almost ALL jobs. That has been a priceless skill that I took from my college experience. The degree is important to open the door to the opportunities, but it won't guarantee you anything.
Thank you.
Conundrum

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Apr 12, 2013
Russia1513 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jobs are out there. Too many people expect a job to come to them. They're unwilling to move to where the jobs are. I guarantee you your place of employment is hiring. However,how many people are qualified for the jobs they're looking to fill?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Big O'S C B Shop (Dec '13) 18 hr Speedy 10
BEWARE-Julia Cox is a bird scammer and dishonest 20 hr Dave 7
Looking For A Former Band Member Sat Former Bandmate 3
smack in the chops for NOBAMA Sat Simon 47
Obama wants to be impeached Sat Simon 23
Police make arrest in 15-year-old Dominique All... Sat bite me 1
The Burger Chef Murders (Dec '13) Sat The Crime Stopperz 15
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match

Indianapolis People Search