Mother of dyslexic student should focus on goals

As a teacher with more than 45 years of experience, I would like to address a major concern of Sheri Setters . Full Story
Laura Phillips

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jan 18, 2008
How can I get in touch with this lady?
My son is a Creekside student who has severe dyslexia and I have experienced similar problems?
Laura Phillips
concerned mom

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jan 18, 2008
I have a child with dyslexia in a Hamilton County School. She has rights at a student to get an education and we have an IEP in place to help provide her with some accomodations and strategies for her to be successful. Contact About Special Kids (formally known as IPIN). They have classes parents can take to learn more about education law, article 7 and so forth. One other thought, if you can afford independent testing outside of the school system present those recommendations to the school and they have to follow them. Good Luck!
Cindy Baumert

Shelbyville, KY

#3 Jan 18, 2008
There is a new invention that helps people who have difficulties with reading fluency and comprehansion due to symptoms of dyslexia, the RAD Prism. Learn more about it at www.readfluent.com . To try out the RAD Prism, click on "About the Study". To view video clips from local news programs in Louisville, KY, click on "News/Media". We have over 1000 people in the KY region who are successfully using the RAD Prism.
Cindy Baumert
Executive Director
Dyslexia Solutions Inc.
a 501c3 nonprofit corporation
A MOM

Greens Fork, IN

#4 Jan 21, 2008
THE SCHOOL BY LAW HAS TO ACCOMODATE FOR THE CHILDS SPECIAL NEEDS, MY SON HAS AN IEP, I THINK IT SET TO HIGH AS WELL BUT HE WORKS IT, WITH MUCH HELP FROM THE SCHOOL AND HIS FAMILY,
THOSE SAME LAWS GO WITH THEM AFTER SCHOOL AND YES INTO THE WORKFORCE, MY DAUGHTER USES HER RIGHTS IN COLLEGE, HAS HER LECTURES TAPED SO SHE CAN HEAR THEM OVER & OVER, HER REQUIRED READINGS THROUGH SCHOOL WERE ALSO ON TAPES FOR HER TO READ ALONG WITH,

HAMILTON BOONE COUNTY SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES IS WHO YOU NEED TO BE IN CONTACT WITH.
A N D

Durham, NC

#5 Jan 21, 2008
What do the letters AND stand for?

National Dyslexic Association.

Bad Joke!
Fred Johnson

Ypsilanti, MI

#6 Jan 21, 2008
Joanne you really have been teaching for 45 years? That is a long time. With the age of adaptive educational devices, many schools are providing excellent adaptive or modified currlcula for students with disabilities. Carmel schools are a great example of how a public school system so focussed on test scores, and self-image, fails to provide adequate learning experiences for all students. Recently, the Carmel School System spent around 1 million dollars to plant trees and landscape around their schools. When Gov. Daniels talks about wasteful school spending this is what he is addressing. Wouldn't that million dollars be better spent on providing classes for students with dyslexia strategies for overcoming their difficulty with learning? The Carmel School System, while receiving some of the highest test scores in the state fail to excel students within normal growth indexes. If you don't believe my word, then check the report published by the Hudson Institute on Learning. In which it clearly compares the demographics and affluency of Carmel to other comparable cities. It finds that it is close to the bottom as far as overall academic performance. In education today, Mrs. Joanne Rosenberg, we don't teach to the "T" but to the needs of the student. Your position if distorted because of your defense of bad teaching.
Concerned Mom

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jan 21, 2008
Bad Joke indeed! That was just rude! You must not know or have a child with a disability. Your view would change if you knew how hard life is for these kids! We only want the best for our children and looking for resources to help guide them to be successful community members.
still fighting

United States

#9 Jan 22, 2008
The public schools system is a mess. Carmel, westfield, IPS it doen't matter. Parents need to fight for every right that the child has, the school will lable them and give them an IEP, but wont help them succeed. It's all about the government money not the student. ISTEP is a joke and so are the LD classes. We have been fighting it for 10 years now, only two more to go. 45 years, well you can't teach an old dog new tricks, they think they know it all. In closing if your student has an IEP stay on top of the school to make sure they (the school) sticks to it.
Hamilton County Educator

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Jan 23, 2008
Sadly, I agree with the posters who say that the public schools don't help students with disabilities succeed. A high school teacher might have only 50 minutes of preparation time each day, and is responsible for teaching, grading, and monitoring anywhere from 80 to 150 students. It's very hard for teachers(not impossible, but tough) to effectively individualize instruction under the current system. I often feel that I am providing an opportunity to students, but I worry often that I am not able to do much for those who, for one reason or another, are not able or willing to grab what's being offered and run with it. The public education we have is better than none at all, but it does need help. People argue about it, but my experience tells me that smaller classes and more prep time, when given to dedicated teachers, would improve results for struggling students. By the way, I am a high school teacher(not in Carmel0 and also the parent of a Carmel middle-schooler with an IEP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I noticed something. 3 hr Andy 3
Fat chix 3 hr Andy 2
Where to get herbal incense/spice/potpourri in ... (May '13) Tue Illylookingforill 46
Obama racist rhetoric toward Police Tue tayarrit76 5
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) Mon tayarrit76 270
does pepsi drug test? which type? Mon Dave 9
Louis Farrakhan regales Indianapolis with 2-1/2... (Dec '13) Sep 28 Ms Mack 20
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match

Indianapolis Jobs

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Indianapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianapolis

Personal Finance