Purdue, IU players share Big 10 honors

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Purdue's E'Twaun Moore and Indiana's D.J. White have been named co-Big Ten Players of the Week.
Comments
21 - 38 of 38 Comments Last updated Feb 5, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Shooter

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Boiler Up wrote:
<quoted text>
"Boiler Up" was yelled out by the "fireman" to the train engineer on the railroad when the locomotive had enough heat and the pressure was high enough in the "boiler" to allow the train to start rolling. Boiler Up, in common terms, means "we're ready to go." Mrs. Tiller did the research several years ago, and introduced the term to Purdue fans at the football games. It has stuck since.
It's also borrowed from Tiller's days at Wyoming -- "Cowboy Up" was/is a rallying cry for Wyoming athletic teams.
Spike

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Painter Fan wrote:
I watched both players in their games and both deserved the awards. The best part was when Northwestern was playing the 1-3-1 zone and this 5'10" guy was guarding DJ. Talk about no contest. After he scored like 5 times in a row, they switched to a 2-3 zone.
What's with the IU/PU love-fest here? Where's the hate and smack? This gushiness is boring. C,mon people -- the Big Game is just 2 weeks away!!
Dan Dakich

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Tom wrote:
The only guy that kept Jordan under 20 a game was dean smith.
What about me?
Bizzy K

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Where are the IU fans? It was only a week or so ago when they were in first, and talking all the smack they wanted. Now that the Boilers are tied with a team that they beat for first in the Big 10... IU isn't squaking so loudly...
Reality Check

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

"This is the fourth weekly honor of the season for White, tying Kirk Haston's single-season school record set in 2000-01.
Purdue's Glenn Robinson holds the single-season conference record with five Player of the Week awards during the 1993-94 season."

How in the world can Cellvin Sanctions have DJ White and Eric Gordon, two of the best players in the nation, and yet have no significant wins??????

IU's best win is Illinois State. ILLINOIS STATE!! They're not even in first place in their own Missouri Valley Conference!!!!!!!!!!

Cellvin Sanctions couldn't coach a fourth grade girl's team.
APPoll

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

AP Poll:

IU - 14th
Purdue 24th
JackM

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Is this your best? Pathetic. Get some new material !!!
Reality Check wrote:
"This is the fourth weekly honor of the season for White, tying Kirk Haston's single-season school record set in 2000-01.
Purdue's Glenn Robinson holds the single-season conference record with five Player of the Week awards during the 1993-94 season."
How in the world can Cellvin Sanctions have DJ White and Eric Gordon, two of the best players in the nation, and yet have no significant wins??????
IU's best win is Illinois State. ILLINOIS STATE!! They're not even in first place in their own Missouri Valley Conference!!!!!!!!!!
Cellvin Sanctions couldn't coach a fourth grade girl's team.
Missouri Boiler

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

BoilerBruce wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe Coach Tiller coined the term "Boiler Up" to get the Boiler fans off their feet and cheering for the team. Instead of "Fire Up" he said "Boiler Up". The term stuck and is now commonplace.
Hoosier is more difficult. I was always told that back in the frontier days when people lived by themselves in remote areas they used to call out to strangers approaching by saying "whos here?" and the words just ran together and sounded like hoosier. That sounds dumb but it is the only explanation I have ever found.
Actually, BoilerBruce, that IS how the term "hoosier" came into being....it's the same story my Indiana History teacher taught us many, many years ago, and he was quite the Indiana History scholar!

Congratulations to both EM and DJ on their co-award - they BOTH deserved it for their respective contributions to their teams performance this past week.

Also, Purdue cracked the AP Top 25 this week, coming in at #24. I hope Matt keeps their heads focused on a MUCH IMPROVED Penn State team for Tuesday night's match-up at Mackey. Don't want their ranking nor their impending game at #8 Wisconsin to detract their attention on the immediate task at hand - BEAT PENN STATE! BOILER UP!

Since: Oct 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Tom wrote:
Good choice for both players. If I could take one player off IU it would be DJ. He is the only one that is giving a consistent effort night in and night out. Keep Gordon, too selfish no defense all me me me and I find the Jordan comparisons laughable. The only guy that kept Jordan under 20 a game was dean smith.
Dan Dakich did moron. I don't compare Eric with Michael because Michael became one of the best I have ever seen but here are their stats as freshmen.

Eric 21.8 ppg, 48% from the field, 85% from the line.
Michael 13.5 ppg, 53% from the field, 72% from the line.
Steals, rebounds, assists and team records are almost identical at this point in their seasons.

“Play more golf!!!”

Since: Nov 07

West Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Spike wrote:
<quoted text>
What's with the IU/PU love-fest here? Where's the hate and smack? This gushiness is boring. C,mon people -- the Big Game is just 2 weeks away!!
I think there's a cease fire. Don't worry, the war will flare up soon. Win or lose, these young Boilers are the best. Boiler Up!, Go Boilers, Hail Purdue, Win One for the Gipper. Whoops, got a little carried away. Anyway, beat Penn St.
Woody Boyd

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Matt wrote:
Amazing! Four points without an PU hater coming on here to rip Purdue about something.
On an unrelated note....what does boiler up mean? And don't retaliate with, what does Hoosier mean? I don't know what Hoosier means, nobody does, but isn't Boiler Up a pretty recent thing? Anybody? Little help here?
*** Well MATT OLE BOY listen UP, BOILER UP is the term used in West LAUGHYEETTEE instead of BELLY UP. Like in "BOILER UP TO THE BAR BOYS." At least that's what I've always heard.*** A little help here. What do you think?***
Boiler Paul 05

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

I am actually enjoying the love fest because the Boilers (#1) and Hoosiers are my top two favorite teams. I understand that the Boilers are ranked 24 in the AP poll, but how can anyone rank St. Mary's ahead of Purdue. St. Mary's lost to San Diego (their 3rd loss)this week and stays ranked??? I thought those mid majors had to stay undefeated to stay ranked. If this keeps up, would they be a 6 seed in the tourney. I can guarantee an 11 over a 6 in that game.
Boiler Fan

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Boiler Paul 05 wrote:
I am actually enjoying the love fest because the Boilers (#1) and Hoosiers are my top two favorite teams. I understand that the Boilers are ranked 24 in the AP poll, but how can anyone rank St. Mary's ahead of Purdue. St. Mary's lost to San Diego (their 3rd loss)this week and stays ranked??? I thought those mid majors had to stay undefeated to stay ranked. If this keeps up, would they be a 6 seed in the tourney. I can guarantee an 11 over a 6 in that game.
Hey, staying under the radar for as long as possible is fine with me. That ranking becomes a big target. And young players would start believing what they read in the papers. Maybe Painter should allow them only to read the IU Star. DJ is a beast, and probably is on his way to Big 10 Player of the Year.
Seymour Butz

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Sir, you are going to have to pick one or the other or I am going to flag every future post you make for review.

Are you a big Colts and Patriots fan too?
Boiler Paul 05 wrote:
I am actually enjoying the love fest because the Boilers (#1) and Hoosiers are my top two favorite teams.
BLOOMINGTON LOVES BOBBY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

We will miss you coaching Bobby Knight.

The best times were the Bobby/Gene ~IU/Purdue games, weren't they?

Good Times....
Colts fan in Florida

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I was very impressed with Moore taking it to the rim and knocking down some tough 3s. He is definitely the most athletic of the 4 freshman. He really took over the last 5 minutes to keep the cushion at around 10.
DJ White will break Big Dogs record of 5 this year. He is on an absolute mission to carry IU inside. He is dominating like we all thought he would when he first came here. Big couple of weeks for the Hoosiers as well. They really need to get the 2 road games this week and gear up for MSU and Wis next week.
Perhaps PU could break into the top 25 this week?
Purdue is ranked 24th in todays AP NCAA Poll.
Boiler up !!

Since: Jul 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Double DJ White is definitely the BTPOY at this point. Averaging his numbers speak for themselves.

IU would certainly be hurting this year without his presence in the post. Too bad IU can never seem to get a true center, but DJ is working out fine.

I hope Holiman plays up to expectatations next year.

Since: Dec 07

Lucas, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

BoilerBruce wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe Coach Tiller coined the term "Boiler Up" to get the Boiler fans off their feet and cheering for the team. Instead of "Fire Up" he said "Boiler Up". The term stuck and is now commonplace.
Hoosier is more difficult. I was always told that back in the frontier days when people lived by themselves in remote areas they used to call out to strangers approaching by saying "whos here?" and the words just ran together and sounded like hoosier. That sounds dumb but it is the only explanation I have ever found.
Post #15 (Boiler UP) explained the Boiler UP explanation correctly - its a years past steam boiler pressure saying.

For the hoosier origin I've heard 3 explanations:

1. the "strangers approaching - who's here" phrase stated above.
2. there was an Ohio River boatman named John Hoosier. When his boats crossing the river in the fog approached shore the boat was challenged to identify themselves - the boat crew's response was "John Hoosier's men", and the phrase stuck.
3. there was a tavern fight, one man bit off the ear of another, and later someone walked into the tavern, saw the ear on the floor and said...(are you ready for this)..."whose ear"?

Regardless, both White and Moore have earned their awards. Moore in particular may have had one of those "break out" games that will boost his confidence in his own abilities and energize him to be a Boiler Star for 3 more years. White is a force to be reckoned with and will easily transition to the pros. Records are made to be broken - let's hope Haston's and Big Dog's both are broken.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Indianapolis Forum right now

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
I Still Love You!! 30 min Me too 6
Indy man at party on boat drowns in Lake Monroe (Apr '07) 2 hr Going for 1000 978
Family of 15-year-old Indianapolis murder victi... 13 hr Pontificating 2
Ebay Exodus: Why Are Thousands of Sellers Leavi... (Jun '13) 20 hr OnlineBlogger 44
Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Wed Two Cents 86
Purdue offering veterinary camps at State Fair Wed Coda1 1
They're Here Tue single smoking n looking 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Indianapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••