Purdue, IU players share Big 10 honors

Purdue, IU players share Big 10 honors

There are 38 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 4, 2008, titled Purdue, IU players share Big 10 honors. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Purdue's E'Twaun Moore and Indiana's D.J. White have been named co-Big Ten Players of the Week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Purdue student

Attica, MI

#1 Feb 4, 2008
Congrats to both players.

I think we finally saw what E'twaun Moore is capable of on Saturday at Illinois. Purdue has not had a player with the capability of taking over a game like that since the Big Dog. It took him a while to get going this year, but don't be surprised to see alot more of that for the rest of his career here. Boiler Up!
jmoyars

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 4, 2008
Finally the BIG TEN is giving the Boilers some credit.
A very good TEAM. They are the surprise in the league so far.
Couple of hard games coming up.
Saturday at Wisconsin and 2-12 MSU comes into to Mackey.
Painter right now should be BIG TEN coach of the year
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

#3 Feb 4, 2008
Purdue student wrote:
Congrats to both players.
I think we finally saw what E'twaun Moore is capable of on Saturday at Illinois. Purdue has not had a player with the capability of taking over a game like that since the Big Dog. It took him a while to get going this year, but don't be surprised to see alot more of that for the rest of his career here. Boiler Up!
I agree. I was very impressed with Moore taking it to the rim and knocking down some tough 3s. He is definitely the most athletic of the 4 freshman. He really took over the last 5 minutes to keep the cushion at around 10.

DJ White will break Big Dogs record of 5 this year. He is on an absolute mission to carry IU inside. He is dominating like we all thought he would when he first came here. Big couple of weeks for the Hoosiers as well. They really need to get the 2 road games this week and gear up for MSU and Wis next week.

Perhaps PU could break into the top 25 this week?
boiler alum

Vincennes, IN

#4 Feb 4, 2008
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I was very impressed with Moore taking it to the rim and knocking down some tough 3s. He is definitely the most athletic of the 4 freshman. He really took over the last 5 minutes to keep the cushion at around 10.
DJ White will break Big Dogs record of 5 this year. He is on an absolute mission to carry IU inside. He is dominating like we all thought he would when he first came here. Big couple of weeks for the Hoosiers as well. They really need to get the 2 road games this week and gear up for MSU and Wis next week.
They might break into the top 25 but I almost hope they don't. The last thing we need is Purdue thinking they are good. The underdog role has got this team playing hard. Who knows though, they have handled things pretty well lately, maybe it wouldn't make a difference
Matt

Collinsville, MS

#5 Feb 4, 2008
Amazing! Four points without an PU hater coming on here to rip Purdue about something.

On an unrelated note....what does boiler up mean? And don't retaliate with, what does Hoosier mean? I don't know what Hoosier means, nobody does, but isn't Boiler Up a pretty recent thing? Anybody? Little help here?
Jay W

Conroe, TX

#6 Feb 4, 2008
Youth has been served :)
MSA

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Feb 4, 2008
boiler alum wrote:
<quoted text>
They might break into the top 25 but I almost hope they don't. The last thing we need is Purdue thinking they are good. The underdog role has got this team playing hard. Who knows though, they have handled things pretty well lately, maybe it wouldn't make a difference
They didn't, at least in the espn/usa today poll,#27. Which I think is resonable considering our SOS and having a couple "bad" losses. I do question Michigan State still at #10 with losses to Iowa and Penn St. Still not sue what I think about IU only dropping two spots to #13.

Since: Oct 07

Bloomington, IN

#8 Feb 4, 2008
Go for six DJ.
Matt

Collinsville, MS

#9 Feb 4, 2008
It's just like football. You'll never see teams drop too far because then the coaches have to admit they were wrong. Also, you have to look at the week that was played. IU started the week at #11, lost on the road at #13 Wisconsin in a place where Bo Ryan has only ever lost two conference games, and then they won at home. Take away UConn (because it happened the week before), and really, two spots seems like a fair drop.
MSA wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't, at least in the espn/usa today poll,#27. Which I think is resonable considering our SOS and having a couple "bad" losses. I do question Michigan State still at #10 with losses to Iowa and Penn St. Still not sue what I think about IU only dropping two spots to #13.
BoilerBruce

Wheaton, IL

#10 Feb 4, 2008
Matt wrote:
Amazing! Four points without an PU hater coming on here to rip Purdue about something.
On an unrelated note....what does boiler up mean? And don't retaliate with, what does Hoosier mean? I don't know what Hoosier means, nobody does, but isn't Boiler Up a pretty recent thing? Anybody? Little help here?
I believe Coach Tiller coined the term "Boiler Up" to get the Boiler fans off their feet and cheering for the team. Instead of "Fire Up" he said "Boiler Up". The term stuck and is now commonplace.

Hoosier is more difficult. I was always told that back in the frontier days when people lived by themselves in remote areas they used to call out to strangers approaching by saying "whos here?" and the words just ran together and sounded like hoosier. That sounds dumb but it is the only explanation I have ever found.
Open Mind

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 4, 2008
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
<quoted text>
Even more impressive was that the Big Dog won his 5 in a season with the Fab 5, as well as Shawn Respert, Eric Snow, Alan Henderson, Deon Thomas, etc. I'm not a Purdue fan, but he was the most dominant Big 10 player I've seen in 26 years of watching the league. I thought he'd be the next Jordan type scorer in the NBA. D.J. is the leader for BTPOY now and has improved greatly since last season. They should feed him more. Hats off.
MSA

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Feb 4, 2008
Matt wrote:
Most people don't realize this but Purdue's mascot is not Purdue Pete it is the Boilermaker Special which is a Locomotive. "Boiler Up" is what is yelled when the firebox is all heated up and the train is ready to roll. So its kind of a play on words I guess with their mascot that kind of says something along the line of "ready to roll" "all fired up and ready to go". Hope that hepls.
MSA

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Feb 4, 2008
Matt wrote:
It's just like football. You'll never see teams drop too far because then the coaches have to admit they were wrong. Also, you have to look at the week that was played. IU started the week at #11, lost on the road at #13 Wisconsin in a place where Bo Ryan has only ever lost two conference games, and then they won at home. Take away UConn (because it happened the week before), and really, two spots seems like a fair drop.
<quoted text>
Forgot to mention, that yes it is somewhat new. It's my understanding that it was first started in the 1997 football season, by Joe Tiller's wife
Go Boilers

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 4, 2008
boiler alum wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree I would rather have the underdog role 'cause I think we feed off of it. However I just looked at the USA Today polls and Kansas St. is still ranked 24th after that loss to Mizzou who was short handed.
Boiler Up

Louisville, KY

#15 Feb 4, 2008
Matt wrote:
"Boiler Up" was yelled out by the "fireman" to the train engineer on the railroad when the locomotive had enough heat and the pressure was high enough in the "boiler" to allow the train to start rolling. Boiler Up, in common terms, means "we're ready to go." Mrs. Tiller did the research several years ago, and introduced the term to Purdue fans at the football games. It has stuck since.
Boilergolfer

Antioch, IL

#16 Feb 4, 2008
Open Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Even more impressive was that the Big Dog won his 5 in a season with the Fab 5, as well as Shawn Respert, Eric Snow, Alan Henderson, Deon Thomas, etc. I'm not a Purdue fan, but he was the most dominant Big 10 player I've seen in 26 years of watching the league. I thought he'd be the next Jordan type scorer in the NBA. D.J. is the leader for BTPOY now and has improved greatly since last season. They should feed him more. Hats off.
I agree...the Big Dog was one of the most dominating college players I have ever seen. I think he could have been given the award every week his Junior year. Heck...out of curiosity I just pulled it up and he averaged 30.3 points per game that year, which lead the nation and was then given the John Wooden Award at the end of the year. I remember attending those games as a kid (I was in high school) and if he wanted to score he could...no team could ever stop him. Multiple times that year he hit last second shots and everyone knew he was taking the shot...he would just shoot it over all three people guarding him. Too bad the Big Dog was not the smartest guy in the world otherwise I think he would have had a more successful NBA career. Not like he was a complete slouch in the NBA...he did go to a few All-Star games.
Boilergolfer

Antioch, IL

#17 Feb 4, 2008
It was definitely nice to see E'Twaun go off in the Illini game...he single handily stopped any Illini comeback. I hope this is a glimpse of what is too come. You could see it coming too because he has been getting more and more comfortable as the season has progressed and he does seem to have a scores ability to get into the lane and finish with out his shot getting blocked.

Also, DJ has had an impressive year for IU and if I am IU I would be feeding him in the post EVERY single time down the court. Without DJ Gordon, Basset, etc would not have half as many open three point looks. In addition, if I am any team playing IU I am going to feed the ball inside to whomever DJ is guarding to try to get him into foul trouble. I think IU can survive without Gordon but if DJ has to sit with foul trouble than they are in serious trouble.

“Go Boilers!!!”

Since: Dec 07

West Lafayette, IN

#18 Feb 4, 2008
Matt wrote:
I'm pretty sure it started with Tiller, and I think maybe with Mrs (Arnet) Tiller. At least that's what my feeble memory brings to mind. It just means get up and cheer.

“Go Boilers!!!”

Since: Dec 07

West Lafayette, IN

#19 Feb 4, 2008
I watched both players in their games and both deserved the awards. The best part was when Northwestern was playing the 1-3-1 zone and this 5'10" guy was guarding DJ. Talk about no contest. After he scored like 5 times in a row, they switched to a 2-3 zone.
Tom

Mishawaka, IN

#20 Feb 4, 2008
Good choice for both players. If I could take one player off IU it would be DJ. He is the only one that is giving a consistent effort night in and night out. Keep Gordon, too selfish no defense all me me me and I find the Jordan comparisons laughable. The only guy that kept Jordan under 20 a game was dean smith.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Air Force shooter was black Muslim convert 6 hr Call YBA Out 2
Larue Carter right to work fired 50 good staff (Aug '14) 10 hr Darkstar 57
Good riddens Paula Cooper 13 hr The Great Wisdom 1
Mayor Ballard Honors Nasty Letterman 13 hr The Great Wisdom 10
News Let it Out (Oct '07) Tue lilred2810 231
any strippers want to Skype? (Jul '14) Tue Jacob Terrill 9
Review: Big O'S C B Shop (Dec '13) Tue varallo 15
More from around the web

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE