TV priest brings broad sweep of church history to documentary 'Catholicism'

Nov 19, 2011 Full story: Alabama Live 9

The Rev. Robert Barron, creator and host of 'Catholicism,' shoots a scene at the Sea of Galilee.

Full Story
RCC Truth Squad

Granger, IN

#1 Nov 20, 2011
This is an epic and enthralling exploration of the Faith and its ongoing relevance to Humanity.

The breadth and reach of the Church is global and timeless and its role as a bridge to our Supernatural roots is worthy of this extremely well done masterpiece by Fr. Barron.

These are times that try men's souls. The Church, despite its necessarily imperfect human component, still represents the best hope of bringing Christ to the world and the world to Christ.

The Holy Spirit has used Fr. Barron's talents to bring this beautiful series to life. A wonderful work!
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#2 Nov 21, 2011
4:35 pm, Monday, November 21, 2011:
RE: TV priest brings broad sweep of church history to documentary 'Catholicism'
..... The BIG problem is that many religious leaders do not enforce the requirements of their religion on ALL members, and expel non-compliants. For example, Jesus' teachings/requirements and lifestyle are not being enforced on all who say and believe that they follow Jesus.
Pax et Bonum

Atwater, OH

#3 Nov 22, 2011
QUITTNER wrote:
4:35 pm, Monday, November 21, 2011:
RE: TV priest brings broad sweep of church history to documentary 'Catholicism'
..... The BIG problem is that many religious leaders do not enforce the requirements of their religion on ALL members, and expel non-compliants. For example, Jesus' teachings/requirements and lifestyle are not being enforced on all who say and believe that they follow Jesus.
How should church leaders "enforce" the teachings church members should follow? The Amish practice "shunning" that basically cuts off a member that doesn't follow the practices and beliefs of the Amish from all contact with family and friends. There is Catholic excommunication which forbids access to Communion. Bishops have publically announced that this or that senator or House member is not welcome to Communion in his diocese because they do not push for legally ending abortion. Whipping, burning and torture have been used. Then we have the words of Jesus "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone." or "Those who are well don't need a doctor. I have come for the sick not the healthy." I am not condoning sin or sinners but see the need for compassion and setting good examples for the fallen over public condemnation.
Pax et Bonum

Atwater, OH

#4 Nov 22, 2011
RCC Truth Squad wrote:
This is an epic and enthralling exploration of the Faith and its ongoing relevance to Humanity.
The breadth and reach of the Church is global and timeless and its role as a bridge to our Supernatural roots is worthy of this extremely well done masterpiece by Fr. Barron.
These are times that try men's souls. The Church, despite its necessarily imperfect human component, still represents the best hope of bringing Christ to the world and the world to Christ.
The Holy Spirit has used Fr. Barron's talents to bring this beautiful series to life. A wonderful work!
I have not seen the whole of this series but hope to soon. I saw part two and was completely captivated by what and how Fr. Barron presented the teachings of the Church in that segment. Peace.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#5 Nov 22, 2011
RCC Truth Squad wrote:
Great post!

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#6 Nov 22, 2011
Pax et Bonum wrote:
<quoted text>
How should church leaders "enforce" the teachings church members should follow? The Amish practice "shunning" that basically cuts off a member that doesn't follow the practices and beliefs of the Amish from all contact with family and friends. There is Catholic excommunication which forbids access to Communion. Bishops have publically announced that this or that senator or House member is not welcome to Communion in his diocese because they do not push for legally ending abortion. Whipping, burning and torture have been used. Then we have the words of Jesus "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone." or "Those who are well don't need a doctor. I have come for the sick not the healthy." I am not condoning sin or sinners but see the need for compassion and setting good examples for the fallen over public condemnation.
the Amish take the person bck when the publicly repent, usually at one of their services. A Catholic can drop his excommunication if he or she repents to a priest. Pax, no one should be receiving Communion in a state of mortal sin, and being pro abortion is a mortal sin.
RCC Truth Squad

Granger, IN

#7 Nov 22, 2011
Pax et Bonum wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not seen the whole of this series but hope to soon. I saw part two and was completely captivated by what and how Fr. Barron presented the teachings of the Church in that segment. Peace.
He is a "Happy Warrior" with an ability to connect effectively with all seekers of God.

Peace to you, brother.
RCC Truth Squad

Granger, IN

#8 Nov 22, 2011
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text>Great post!
Thanks so much. I had the pleasure of seeing him speak at U Notre Dame (in the heart of the beast, so to speak) this month and found his presentation concerning this series both deeply insightful and humorous. Very entertaining and at the same time loaded with teaching.
He is brilliant, has a great sense of humor, is absolutely humble and personable and is On Fire for Christ. Talk about a dynamite combination.
I believe he belongs on TV to reach a wider audience...ala Bishop Fulton Sheen. To that end, he will be raising funds, if I understood him correctly. His hundreds of YouTube videos on the culture are a major part of his "Word on Fire" ministry.
Pax et Bonum

Atwater, OH

#9 Dec 5, 2011
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text>the Amish take the person bck when the publicly repent, usually at one of their services. A Catholic can drop his excommunication if he or she repents to a priest. Pax, no one should be receiving Communion in a state of mortal sin, and being pro abortion is a mortal sin.
I have come to believe and I may be wrong in this that there is a big difference between being "pro-abortion" and not seeing passing a law against abortion as being the way to end it in this country. I also have come to believe that there is a big difference in being pro-life and them passing legislation that limits by cutting funding the needed care for a life once it comes from the womb just to balance the budget. I fear that in making abortion a political instead of a moral issue we as Catholics are missing the point. Jesus came to this earth not to pass laws but to change hearts. Changing hearts will end abortion way before changing laws.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Bengal, India Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sex (Nov '13) Dec 18 Sonjuhotboy 3
Security tops Modis conversation with Ghani and... Nov 26 UrbanWorld 1
India MP 'attempts suicide' in jail Nov '14 Amitabh 4
Rewind...To The Great Calcutta Cricket Riot Nov '14 Kari demalu 2
Dhaka already gave NIA permission for visit' Nov '14 NISI SEXY 1
HC orders filling of Fir against TMC MP Tapas P... Nov '14 Humhainna 3
'Humiliated' Indian girl found dead Nov '14 Humhainna 4
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:56 pm PST