'India still battles woes Alexander the Great did'

Sep 26, 2010 Full story: sify.com 353

'India still battles woes Alexander the Great did' 2010-09-23 17:20:00 New Delhi, Sep 23 If Greek conqueror Alexander the Great was to visit India nearly 2,500 years after his first incursion into the country, he would find it beset with 'similar issues', says Aniruddha Bahal, whose novel, 'The Emissary', was launched here. Bahal's novel, launched in the capital Wednesday, is a historical fiction set in Macedonia and Olympia in ancient Greece during the time of Alexander the Great.

Full Story
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
goran from MACEDONIA

Skopje, Macedonia

#357 Oct 13, 2010
Mr Natural wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking about the ancient Macedonian language....
This is what REAL linguists have to say regarding the language of the ancient Macedonians. This linguistic tree was compiled by such people.
http://multitree.linguistlist.org/trees/Indo-...
Pay careful attention to which family the ancient Macedonian language has been placed, and also your newer language of the same name.
There is absolutely no denying the fact that the Ancient Macedonians derived from Greek stock, just as Alexander himself claimed!
And to which dynasty did they hail from????
"The Argead dynasty was the ancient ****GREEK**** ruling house of Macedon from about 700 to 310 BC"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argead_Dynasty
Looks like Wiki is even conspiring against you, and your self loathing ilk......
Well OK..if you say so..(specially is interesting that"REAL"..I presume there are "unreal"linguists)an d on the begining of site very clear stays so.."Ancient Macedonian was the language of the ancient Macedonians. It was spoken in the kingdom of Macedon during the 1st millennium BC and it belongs to the Indo-European group of languages. It gradually fell out of use during the 4th century BC, marginalized by Koine Greek, the lingua franca of the Hellenistic period.[1]"So..your theory and this site are not so similar like you try to proof..but fine..(I am talking with greeks..hm)..but..will you be so nice and tell me..what was name of the STATE..where those"ancient greeks"were kings..and rulers??Do not tell me ..that Alexandar was greek govenor of northen greece..
goran from MACEDONIA

Skopje, Macedonia

#358 Oct 13, 2010
Mr Natural wrote:
Yes, Goran. Please do read!
It's quite obvious, that your only prepared to read what is suitable for you! The link I have provided comes from QUALIFIED linguists themselves!
If you click on ancient Macedonian on the linguist tree you will read this!
"Not to be confused with the modern Macedonian language, which is a CLOSE RELATIVE of the SLAVIC BULGARIAN."
http://multitree.linguistlist.org/trees/Indo-...
And to which dynasty did they hail from????
"The Argead dynasty was the ancient ****GREEK**** ruling house of Macedon from about 700 to 310 BC"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argead_Dynasty
P.s. What the hell was that gibberish you posted???
Anyway...here's the link to my post again, refute it as much as you like, but those are the breaks, Goran!
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/macedonia/TU...
Apsolutely corect..but..I thing that"modern Macedonian language"is dedicate to you more then me..and here nobody do not say that modern and ancient macedonian language are similar
Mr Natural

Australia

#359 Oct 13, 2010
goran from MACEDONIA wrote:
<quoted text>Well OK..if you say so..(specially is interesting that"REAL"..I presume there are "unreal"linguists)an d on the begining of site very clear stays so.."Ancient Macedonian was the language of the ancient Macedonians. It was spoken in the kingdom of Macedon during the 1st millennium BC and it belongs to the Indo-European group of languages. It gradually fell out of use during the 4th century BC, marginalized by Koine Greek, the lingua franca of the Hellenistic period.[1]"So..your theory and this site are not so similar like you try to proof..but fine..(I am talking with greeks..hm)..but..will you be so nice and tell me..what was name of the STATE..where those"ancient greeks"were kings..and rulers??Do not tell me ..that Alexandar was greek govenor of northen greece..
Absolutely not, Goran. There are quite a few linguists out there that are not completely convinced that the ancient Macedonian language is completely Greek. The consensus is though, that it comes from an early Greek linguistic pool.

The link that you provided, basically says this!

I could also direct you to Wiki quotes, which has a plethora of info regarding the ancient Macedonian language, and it's history. Majority of these quotes, are from credible historians and linguists!

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Macedonia
AENEA D

Ireland

#360 Oct 13, 2010
<quoted text>Apsolutely corect..but..I thing that"modern Macedonian language"is dedicate to you more then me..and here nobody do not say that modern and ancient macedonian language are similar
old Slavonic church language or Coine (Hellenic Period 500 -100 AD)it is not Ancient Macedon language mos ia cini nanen tash you nacijalnostat e Karit
AENEA D

Ireland

#361 Oct 13, 2010
PELEUS AKE BESA ,that professor can teach ye all till you learn ,who has a brain of course

goran from MACEDONIA

Skopje, Macedonia

#362 Oct 14, 2010
Mr Natural wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not, Goran. There are quite a few linguists out there that are not completely convinced that the ancient Macedonian language is completely Greek. The consensus is though, that it comes from an early Greek linguistic pool.
The link that you provided, basically says this!
I could also direct you to Wiki quotes, which has a plethora of info regarding the ancient Macedonian language, and it's history. Majority of these quotes, are from credible historians and linguists!
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Macedonia
Ha..you use word "APSOLUTELY"..readin g this site?this word do not fix with word"few"..that means "not all"..means 'some of'linguists..so..I am still waiting about your opinion..about basic quiestion..what about Macedonians and Macedonia ..in political orgaisation meaning??There are very unpleasant times.. in relation between Greece and Macedonian state(modern..Macedonian state if you insist)..
goran from MACEDONIA

Skopje, Macedonia

#363 Oct 14, 2010
AENEA D wrote:
<quoted text>old Slavonic church language or Coine (Hellenic Period 500 -100 AD)it is not Ancient Macedon language mos ia cini nanen tash you nacijalnostat e Karit
Do not tell me..is it shiptarian language then??
grr

Quakers Hill, Australia

#364 Oct 22, 2010
<quoted text>And something more..from Wikipedia.."Macedonian empire"-"hellenistic era".. What is notable about the Macedonian regime during the Hellenistic times is that it was the only successor state to the Empire that maintained the old archaic perception of Kingship, and never adopted the ways of the Hellenistic Monarchy. Thus the king was never deified in the same way that Ptolemies and Seleucids were in Egypt and Asia respectively, and never adopted the custom of Proskynesis. The ancient Macedonians during the Hellenistic times were still addressing their kings in a far more casual way than the subjects of the rest of the Diadochi, and the Kings were still consulting with their aristocracy (Philoi) in the process of making their decisions...Macedonian empire..no mention of greek empire !!!!!
Ok genius, firstly, the word "Hellenistic" comes from the word "Hellenic" which is actually the correct term for "Greek". Hellenistic is the term historians give to the period of history between Alexander's conquests and the Roman ascendancy, when the Mediterranean and middle east was ruled by the "Hellenistic" or "Greek" successors of Alexander's army.
Secondly, the word for the Macedonian aristocracy was "Philoi". This word is Greeks and means "The Friends". In other words, they were the "friends" or "companions" of the king.

Since: Mar 08

I like to screw pichkas!!!

#365 Oct 22, 2010
grr wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok genius, firstly, the word "Hellenistic" comes from the word "Hellenic" which is actually the correct term for "Greek". Hellenistic is the term historians give to the period of history between Alexander's conquests and the Roman ascendancy, when the Mediterranean and middle east was ruled by the "Hellenistic" or "Greek" successors of Alexander's army.
Secondly, the word for the Macedonian aristocracy was "Philoi". This word is Greeks and means "The Friends". In other words, they were the "friends" or "companions" of the king.
Way over his head! Too much knowledge for his tiny little pea brain to process!
grr

Quakers Hill, Australia

#366 Oct 22, 2010
<quoted text>Well OK..if you say so..(specially is interesting that"REAL"..I presume there are "unreal"linguists)an d on the begining of site very clear stays so.."Ancient Macedonian was the language of the ancient Macedonians. It was spoken in the kingdom of Macedon during the 1st millennium BC and it belongs to the Indo-European group of languages. It gradually fell out of use during the 4th century BC, marginalized by Koine Greek, the lingua franca of the Hellenistic period.[1]"So..your theory and this site are not so similar like you try to proof..but fine..(I am talking with greeks..hm)..but..will you be so nice and tell me..what was name of the STATE..where those"ancient greeks"were kings..and rulers??Do not tell me ..that Alexandar was greek govenor of northen greece..
Oh Goran, you are so bright, like all the stars of your nation... Koine was not fully developed as the language of the Hellenistic period until much later. Closer to the time of Christ and beyond. and even then it was thought of as a crude language. The old joke goes, in reference to the new testament written in Greek, that "God speaks Greek, and not very well". There is no doubt that the language the Macedonians took to the world was Greek. The evidence is all over the middle east and north Africa. Cleopatra spoke Greek, as did all the Macedonian ruling class of Egypt. Alexander, my dear friend, was the King of Macedonia, and the Macedonia he ruled is the stretch of land that is currently in modern Greece. The borders of Macedonia have shifted many times throughout history, but ancient Macedonia, Alexander's kingdom, was the Greek-speaking Macedonia of modern northern Greece. As most of your people are obsessed with Alexander, let me give you a quote from Xenophon, that was written many years before Alexander was even born. It refers to ambassadors of cities in the north of Greece asking the Spartans for military aid.

"Spartans and representatives of the allies, there is a very dangerous situation arising IN GREECE that we do not think you have noticed... the Olynthians have induced other cities to combine with them on the basis of one system of laws and common citizenship, and the went on to take over some of the larger cities. Their next objective is the liberation of the cities OF MACEDONIA from the MACEDONIAN king Amyntas... When we left they were already in control of a number OF MACEDONIAN CITIES, and among them is Pella, the biggest of them all.."Now my dear friend Goran, please note how the situation they are referring to is about something IN GREECE, yet thay are talking about the taking over of MACEDONIAN cities. Clearly, as far as these ambassadors are concerned, the MACEDONIAN CITIES are IN GREECE.

Since: Mar 08

I like to screw pichkas!!!

#367 Oct 22, 2010
grr wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Goran, you are so bright, like all the stars of your nation... Koine was not fully developed as the language of the Hellenistic period until much later. Closer to the time of Christ and beyond. and even then it was thought of as a crude language. The old joke goes, in reference to the new testament written in Greek, that "God speaks Greek, and not very well". There is no doubt that the language the Macedonians took to the world was Greek. The evidence is all over the middle east and north Africa. Cleopatra spoke Greek, as did all the Macedonian ruling class of Egypt. Alexander, my dear friend, was the King of Macedonia, and the Macedonia he ruled is the stretch of land that is currently in modern Greece. The borders of Macedonia have shifted many times throughout history, but ancient Macedonia, Alexander's kingdom, was the Greek-speaking Macedonia of modern northern Greece. As most of your people are obsessed with Alexander, let me give you a quote from Xenophon, that was written many years before Alexander was even born. It refers to ambassadors of cities in the north of Greece asking the Spartans for military aid.
"Spartans and representatives of the allies, there is a very dangerous situation arising IN GREECE that we do not think you have noticed... the Olynthians have induced other cities to combine with them on the basis of one system of laws and common citizenship, and the went on to take over some of the larger cities. Their next objective is the liberation of the cities OF MACEDONIA from the MACEDONIAN king Amyntas... When we left they were already in control of a number OF MACEDONIAN CITIES, and among them is Pella, the biggest of them all.."Now my dear friend Goran, please note how the situation they are referring to is about something IN GREECE, yet thay are talking about the taking over of MACEDONIAN cities. Clearly, as far as these ambassadors are concerned, the MACEDONIAN CITIES are IN GREECE.
Like beating a dead horse file!
grr

Quakers Hill, Australia

#368 Oct 22, 2010
<quoted text>Apsolutely corect..but..I thing that"modern Macedonian language"is dedicate to you more then me..and here nobody do not say that modern and ancient macedonian language are similar
My dear Goran, the "Modern Macedonian Language' is clearly a Bulgarian dialect and not one connection with any language spoken in Macedonia in antiquity. This is a very important pint and not one that should be overlooked. The evidence is staring you in the face, or maybe ringing in your ears. When you speak "Modern Macedonian" you are confirming you Bulgarian ethnicity. Greek was the language of the Eastern Roman empire for over a thousand years for a reason. Because the great masses of people that lived in the Eastern Roman empire, including the Macedonians, spoke Greek. Over the centuries, Bulgarian, Slavic, Albanian, Vlach etc all moved into the area and created a "fruit salad" of ethnicities in Macedonia by the 19th century. As most were orthodox Christians, the only real way to differentiate them was by their language. Greek-speakers were Greeks, Bulgarian-speakers were Bulgarians etc etc. The problem we have today is simple. Of all the ethnic groups in the racial/cultural mix of Macedonia, only one decided to call themselves exclusively "Macedonian", and their language exclusively "Macedonian", and they were the Bulgarian-speakers. So now we have a problem of mistaken identity. Modern "Macedonians" speak Bulgarian and call it "Macedonian". Greek Macedonians living in Macedonia (in Greece) and speaking Greek are being asked to accept that there is a distinct "Macedonian" race and culture and that they don't belong to it, as they don't speak Bulgarian. Goran, really my friend, have a think...
United Macedonians

Niederfrohna, Germany

#369 Oct 22, 2010
GEOROX wrote:
<quoted text>
Way over his head! Too much knowledge for his tiny little pea brain to process!
My friend, we are talking about a people brainwashed at school with maps of a Greater FYROM and ruled by a regime whose "academicians" claim the Rosetta Stone contains an ancient Yugoslav script ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Agra, India Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BJP's real agenda Jan 16 Matthew 9
Vajpayee and I were both humiliated at the Agra... (Sep '06) Jan 3 geeta 3
hot housewife and girls contact for fun in agra... Dec '14 aniket 4
Newlywed British couple found dead in Indian ho... Nov '14 Humhainna 3
British couple found dead in Indian hotel room ... Oct '14 Humhainna 1
'If girls look sexy, boys will rape.' Is this w... (Mar '13) Oct '14 Humhainna 21
Modi campaign stirs religious divide in India's... (Nov '13) Nov '13 humhainna21 2
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:51 pm PST