Is it really worth us buying Irish if...

Is it really worth us buying Irish if it costs 66% extra?

There are 12 comments on the Independent.ie story from Nov 27, 2011, titled Is it really worth us buying Irish if it costs 66% extra?. In it, Independent.ie reports that:

BUYING Irish or local boosts local businesses and jobs, but it can cost you. Just imagine for a moment that the Government ran with Ibec's budget proposal -- that children's allowance money had to be spent on Irish goods or in Irish shops.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Independent.ie.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 Nov 27, 2011
Nope, it sure isnt. No reason for the prices we pay.Ireland rips its citizens off. No protection for its citizens.
Donker

Shanghai, China

#2 Dec 2, 2011
Corkonian wrote:
Nope, it sure isnt. No reason for the prices we pay.Ireland rips its citizens off. No protection for its citizens.
I agree, but wonder why. Isn't there suppossed to be a government backed consumer price watchdog?

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#3 Dec 2, 2011
Donker wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but wonder why. Isn't there suppossed to be a government backed consumer price watchdog?
Haaaaaaaa, I seriously doubt it. The price fixing that goes on here with fuel is scandolous. Topaz are fckin people over big time! If there was any consumer watchdog you'd think they would have picked up on it.... But like everythign else here, if its in existence, its probably run by some brother of a sitting TD or Minister or something along those lines... That private company that runs the tolls, another example of it!! 18 euros tolls driving between Cork and Dublin, 2.20, 2. 20, 2.20 then 3 euros on the M50, same all the way back down again. Lol, this place is a joke shop....
Jim

Ireland

#4 Dec 2, 2011
Corkonian wrote:
<quoted text>
Haaaaaaaa, I seriously doubt it. The price fixing that goes on here with fuel is scandolous. Topaz are fckin people over big time! If there was any consumer watchdog you'd think they would have picked up on it.... But like everythign else here, if its in existence, its probably run by some brother of a sitting TD or Minister or something along those lines... That private company that runs the tolls, another example of it!! 18 euros tolls driving between Cork and Dublin, 2.20, 2. 20, 2.20 then 3 euros on the M50, same all the way back down again. Lol, this place is a joke shop....
The whole place is like a cartel of cronies and if you even open your mouth to complain you are treated like a criminal

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 Dec 2, 2011
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole place is like a cartel of cronies and if you even open your mouth to complain you are treated like a criminal
Yes indeed.... The problem is that, short of a new political party coming in to existence, and the Irish people having the brains and the faith to vote for this party, and this party having some moral decency - nothing will change here. No matter who you vote for you will still get a right good raping... The only escape we have from this dismal situation is a new party that has the people as its number one priority. This party would need to be well backed and with some new faces, some of our intellectuals who have an interest in the countrys well being. Not the pack of goms we have!

Not one of our current partys deserve the peoples vote because they will do the usual, come election time the will bad mouth all the other partys, swear blind that they believe in fairnes, equality, accountability an so on, swear blind that they will not continue in the self serving footsteps of the previous government.
Then when they get into government they will reneague on every promise they made using lines like "we didnt have this information to hand at the time, its a game changer lads.. So feck the promise" an basically continue the raping where the other crowd left off.

Its one lot of criminals to the next lot of criminals and its not the peoples fault for being stupid, well it is a little but they can only vote for who wants to be elected The fault is with the self serving people who want to be elected, theyre the problem! They want in to the world of governance and they dont care who they hurt as long as they get there and get rewarded with their big salaries and pensions. They will say anything to you and promise you anything you want because they know that they dont have to keep those promises, all they have to do is hoodwink you into giving them your vote, then they get the job and by the time everyone realises that theyre as bad as the last crew, theyve already made a fortune, theyve got guaranteed benefits and it wont make one bit of a difference wether they did a good job or not.

Scratch a few backs, crony up to a few of the high rollers of the country, who you come into contact with in senior positions of the government. If you've proved your worth to the big interests you might get to sit on the boards of a few companys, credit unions, county councils etc etc... Plus you'll have your pension of a hundred thousand or so - an anything stupid or criminal or treasonous that you did while in office will all be forgotten about in a few months an you will be free to enjoy the good life..
Donker

Shanghai, China

#6 Dec 14, 2011
Corkonian wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes indeed.... The problem is that, short of a new political party coming in to existence, and the Irish people having the brains and the faith to vote for this party, and this party having some moral decency - nothing will change here. No matter who you vote for you will still get a right good raping... The only escape we have from this dismal situation is a new party that has the people as its number one priority. This party would need to be well backed and with some new faces, some of our intellectuals who have an interest in the countrys well being. Not the pack of goms we have!
Not one of our current partys deserve the peoples vote because they will do the usual, come election time the will bad mouth all the other partys, swear blind that they believe in fairnes, equality, accountability an so on, swear blind that they will not continue in the self serving footsteps of the previous government.
Then when they get into government they will reneague on every promise they made using lines like "we didnt have this information to hand at the time, its a game changer lads.. So feck the promise" an basically continue the raping where the other crowd left off.
Its one lot of criminals to the next lot of criminals and its not the peoples fault for being stupid, well it is a little but they can only vote for who wants to be elected The fault is with the self serving people who want to be elected, theyre the problem! They want in to the world of governance and they dont care who they hurt as long as they get there and get rewarded with their big salaries and pensions. They will say anything to you and promise you anything you want because they know that they dont have to keep those promises, all they have to do is hoodwink you into giving them your vote, then they get the job and by the time everyone realises that theyre as bad as the last crew, theyve already made a fortune, theyve got guaranteed benefits and it wont make one bit of a difference wether they did a good job or not.
Scratch a few backs, crony up to a few of the high rollers of the country, who you come into contact with in senior positions of the government. If you've proved your worth to the big interests you might get to sit on the boards of a few companys, credit unions, county councils etc etc... Plus you'll have your pension of a hundred thousand or so - an anything stupid or criminal or treasonous that you did while in office will all be forgotten about in a few months an you will be free to enjoy the good life..
Could it be that we never really had true politicions in Ireland for a long time. We have had county councillors. Bertie being a perfect example. People more interested in their own constituancies rather than the country as a whole. Maybe by allowing the vote to those who had to leave the country due to the economic messing around and corruption of the selfish few allowed by the dozing many (voters) would bring about some change. Perhaps those who had to leave are angry enough to vote in normal human beings.
Donker

Shanghai, China

#7 Dec 14, 2011
Excuse my spelling!!
Jim Boy

Grove City, OH

#8 Dec 15, 2011
As an American tourist I will be travelling to Scotland for my vacation instead of Ireland in 2012 since Ireland prices are so exorbitant.
The Ireland tourist industry will continue to spiral downward.
Donker

Shanghai, China

#9 Dec 21, 2011
Jim Boy wrote:
As an American tourist I will be travelling to Scotland for my vacation instead of Ireland in 2012 since Ireland prices are so exorbitant.
The Ireland tourist industry will continue to spiral downward.
Can't say that I blame you. Maybe the EU laws will protect Ireland from mental overpricing in the future.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#10 Dec 24, 2011
I had an american customer shop today and pointed out the price of a 3.5mm audio lead. ie one for ur iphone/ipod etc and he blatantly said, within the state of shock at the price, "Excuse me sir but where can i buy this cheaper?" €9.99 for an audio and one which he wud pay $1.99 in the US for.
Our country is a fukin joke in terms of how much we are charged for goods.
I wear the "Shop local to protect 1000 jobs" badge but in truth i buy my hilfiger jumpers from the US for €25-30 in total inclusive of shipping rather than €100-€100 in most places like Brown Thomas or BT2.
Its a classic example of 'why the fuck wud you want to shop locally when shopping online is convenient 80% of the time.
More and more ppl will shop in the online market place which is sad for retailer such as myself but sure cud ya fukin blame the customer....?

Rip off Ireland...... with little to no jobs.
No wonder 37 of my friends live in Oz with 11 more to go in jan/feb.

Makes me sick at the thought of how badly managed this country is. Why the fuk wud ya wanna visit the place when your gonna get bumfukd for hotel rates with not a fukin site ta see bar a few things in dublin n in the west.

In short, its a catch 22. U buy here u drive urself to bankruptcy, u dont the country falls to an even deeper level of doodoo
mark

Ireland

#11 Dec 25, 2011
wexican wrote:
I had an american customer shop today and pointed out the price of a 3.5mm audio lead. ie one for ur iphone/ipod etc and he blatantly said, within the state of shock at the price, "Excuse me sir but where can i buy this cheaper?" €9.99 for an audio and one which he wud pay $1.99 in the US for.
Our country is a fukin joke in terms of how much we are charged for goods.
I wear the "Shop local to protect 1000 jobs" badge but in truth i buy my hilfiger jumpers from the US for €25-30 in total inclusive of shipping rather than €100-€100 in most places like Brown Thomas or BT2.
Its a classic example of 'why the fuck wud you want to shop locally when shopping online is convenient 80% of the time.
More and more ppl will shop in the online market place which is sad for retailer such as myself but sure cud ya fukin blame the customer....?
Rip off Ireland...... with little to no jobs.
No wonder 37 of my friends live in Oz with 11 more to go in jan/feb.
Makes me sick at the thought of how badly managed this country is. Why the fuk wud ya wanna visit the place when your gonna get bumfukd for hotel rates with not a fukin site ta see bar a few things in dublin n in the west.
In short, its a catch 22. U buy here u drive urself to bankruptcy, u dont the country falls to an even deeper level of doodoo
Its the hidden tax called inflation whereby you get paid the same but your wages are only worth half what you get in spending power.
Just wait for the water,property,sewage charge,etc comes in and see how you will be fleeced...petrol has gone up even to the highest level here because it is taxed to the hilt so your commute cleans out the rest of your wages.....If you earn less than 400 euros and have to commute say from mullingar to dublin everyday when you add up petrol,tax,insurance,tolls,par king you are better off staying at home and dont even talk about public fcukin transport
Donker

Shanghai, China

#14 Jan 25, 2012
I say go German, Irish government are wank

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drogheda, Ireland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drogheda Music Thread (Aug '15) Mar '16 Musikologist 13
Coca Cola (Feb '13) Feb '13 Drogheda83 1
News Step down ward good news says Fitzpatrick (Jan '13) Jan '13 _modonoghue- 2
News Kilrush To Host 2013 National Famine Commemoration (Jan '13) Jan '13 Neil Hynes 1
News Six held in brothel raids (Dec '08) Nov '12 Jaymarleyhigh 8
News Fear for woman missing in Melbourne (Sep '12) Sep '12 KavaFarmer 3
News Eoghan Harris: Insidious Sinn Fein is only help... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Dubbadub 2
More from around the web