Storm: Things are looking a lot better in Nicholas

Nov 2, 2012 Full story: Charleston Gazette 13

National Guard troops use a forklift to store recently offloaded pallets of drinking water in storage buildings behind the Summersville 911 center.

Full Story
Wtf

Bronx, NY

#1 Nov 3, 2012
Where were the state police? Could not find one to save my life
art

Danielson, CT

#2 Nov 3, 2012
Wtf wrote:
at the game in Motown
whatever

United States

#3 Nov 3, 2012
I finally got power back today. After throwing away a freezer full of meat and almost everything in the refrigerator. I sat down and watched the news.(I know some will wonder why I didn't put my meat outside to save it. Well around here people let their dogs run wild. Im not taking a chance on food that dogs already picked through.) but anyway...

I was watching the news and it was loaded with stories about people helping storm victims(Police, National gaurd, FEMA, Fire depts ect). Not that I needed help but it struck me the wrong way, all these people patting theirselves on the back because they are doing such a wonderful thing. I went without power for almost five days, and never seen anyone going around offering help. Im sure there were news announcements on where help was available, but seeing how I had no power, I couldn't listen to the news.
The only heros of this storm is the power company and their contractors and the state road crew for plowing the roads.
penny

Danielson, CT

#4 Nov 4, 2012
whatever wrote:
I finally got power back today. After throwing away a freezer full of meat and almost everything in the refrigerator. I sat down and watched the news.(I know some will wonder why I didn't put my meat outside to save it. Well around here people let their dogs run wild. Im not taking a chance on food that dogs already picked through.) but anyway...

I was watching the news and it was loaded with stories about people helping storm victims(Police, National gaurd, FEMA, Fire depts ect). Not that I needed help but it struck me the wrong way, all these people patting theirselves on the back because they are doing such a wonderful thing. I went without power for almost five days, and never seen anyone going around offering help. Im sure there were news announcements on where help was available, but seeing how I had no power, I couldn't listen to the news.
The only heros of this storm is the power company and their contractors and the state road crew for plowing the roads.
Umm no my husband has been gone for a week because of that storm with the national guard...do have a cell phone?? If u needed help then u should have called 911...the national guard went to where they were told to go they just didn't take it upon themselves to just jump in and visit everyone in Nicholas County. I do believe 72 people without housing at all and peoples houses collapsing was a little more important than no electricity to keep your meat frozen...next time use a cooler!!
Church Lady

Charleston, WV

#5 Nov 4, 2012
I just found out that I will be without power for another week. The lines were so damaged that they plan to replace them. Playing Pioneer woman is getting old.
Thankful

Danielson, CT

#6 Nov 4, 2012
Church Lady wrote:
I just found out that I will be without power for another week. The lines were so damaged that they plan to replace them. Playing Pioneer woman is getting old.
I will be without power another week too but I am just glad I still have a home to restore it to! It might be an inconvenience but that's all it is!
Words of wisdom

Chesapeake, VA

#7 Nov 4, 2012
Wtf wrote:
Sorry you could not find a State policeman to save your life! but I'm so glad someone came to your aid, hopefully a fireman or even a neighbor found you in time and did assist in saving your save ! Some times our State policeman are busy with other calls that it is virtually impossible to service every citizen who calls for help. But any way, I for one am truly glad that you made it through your close call. Just remember, Your State policemen can't save everyone's life, although they do try, so give them thanks and credit for those they do help.
Words of wisdom

Chesapeake, VA

#8 Nov 4, 2012
whatever wrote:
Ms or Mr Crybaby! You could have at least put you frozen food out in the snow and Ice and let the animals eat it, then you could have patted your self on the back and told yourself "what a great person I am" might have changed your attitude toward the (Police, National gaurd, FEMA, Fire depts ect).
great job

Charleston, WV

#9 Nov 11, 2012
all i got to say is the fire depts, state road,national guards, power crews,etc all did a great job cleaning up, and opening up roads and restoring power
Bear

United States

#10 Nov 11, 2012
great job wrote:
all i got to say is the fire depts, state road,national guards, power crews,etc all did a great job cleaning up, and opening up roads and restoring power
I concur, excellent job!
me blessed

Tornado, WV

#11 Nov 12, 2012
whatever wrote:
This sounds so stupid! poor me!! as far as putting the food n the snow u should have/an anyway rather the dogs get it than the trash/count your blessings u r still here to complain an whine
martin

Charleston, WV

#12 Nov 12, 2012
I saw lots of National Guard helping many people. Thanks to evryone who was out helping others. Thanks to Summersville Baptist Church for serving as a shelter and the many volunteers from the church. Thanks to the many individuals who went out of the way to help a neighbor.
lod

White Plains, NY

#13 Nov 15, 2012
penny wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm no my husband has been gone for a week because of that storm with the national guard...do have a cell phone?? If u needed help then u should have called 911...the national guard went to where they were told to go they just didn't take it upon themselves to just jump in and visit everyone in Nicholas County. I do believe 72 people without housing at all and peoples houses collapsing was a little more important than no electricity to keep your meat frozen...next time use a cooler!!
.Amen!Amen!Some people didnt worry about trying to save anything because"It will get replaced by the Government" like in July. Where some people didnt qualify for getting any supplemental help.People that work, and try to provide for their families, while others dont have a care in the world. Its sad very sad!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Sandy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
D.C. has passed sea level rise 'tipping point,'... 26 min Earthling-1 2
Activists try to rile up Chris Christie, pile u... 1 hr Billy Ringo 15
Travelers Unit Sued Over Allegedly Manipulated ... Dec 9 Fema Regions map 1
Home sales climb 2% in October (Nov '12) Dec 7 Btc Arab 22
Enviro Notes: We're better off, but still unpre... Dec 4 r we really bette... 1
Chris Rock tweets sharp, short response to Eric... Dec 4 Go Blue Forever 9
Move over big power - the micropower revolution... Dec 1 Philly2034 6
More from around the web