Bicyclist killed by delivery truck in Minneapolis Warehouse District

Full story: TwinCities.com

A bicyclist was fatally struck by a delivery truck Monday afternoon in the downtown Minneapolis Warehouse District, authorities said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Oct 28, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

So sad, RIP
Hawkshaw

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

It is always a tragedy when someone dies in an accident...Generally speaking most accidents are avoidable and perhaps we will find out more about this one so others can learn from it.
Bike lane confusion

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

My guess is the truck driver did not see him in the bike lane since it is on the other side of the parked cars. I'm not sure how smart that was to locate it somewhere abnormal.
guy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Bike lane confusion wrote:
My guess is the truck driver did not see him in the bike lane since it is on the other side of the parked cars. I'm not sure how smart that was to locate it somewhere abnormal.
It was beyond stupid. Fortunately, it can be easily changed.
Muderapolis and Pot

Maple Plain, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

All that Pot from Central America ends up somewhere.
Hawkshaw

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Bike lane confusion wrote:
So the there are 3 lanes and the rail line. The right turn lane, then a parking lane, then the bike lane, and then the rail line. If thats the case I can see why an accident could happen.
dept bicycle paths

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

bicyclists should always drive defensively considering the 50 to 1 weight difference of cars to bikes
mlars

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Judged:

The bikers riders in Minneapolis are arrogant as hell. They think they own the road and they do as they please. I have been a driver for 16 years and the bikers in Minneapolis think they have special rights to the road since they are saving the Earth. They don't they need to follow the rules. They have 500 miles of bike trails and paths in Minneapolis but no one uses them. They ride on the streets even if the bike path is ten feet away. They are rude and arrogant and self serving. Pull your head out of your butts.
KJPMPLS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

mlars wrote:
The bikers riders in Minneapolis are arrogant as hell. They think they own the road and they do as they please. I have been a driver for 16 years and the bikers in Minneapolis think they have special rights to the road since they are saving the Earth. They don't they need to follow the rules. They have 500 miles of bike trails and paths in Minneapolis but no one uses them. They ride on the streets even if the bike path is ten feet away. They are rude and arrogant and self serving. Pull your head out of your butts.
mlars - The bicyclist WAS in a bike lane, on the street. The problem is that, in the city's infinite wisdom, those bike lanes are separated from the traffic lanes by a parking lane. And, since it was a box truck, the only way the driver would be able to see the bicyclist would be through the very tiny fidgets mirror mounted on the larger right mirror outside the right door - that is, unless he was hidden behind parked vehicles (a very good chance of this).

I believe the bicyclists family has a very good case against city planners here. You can't blame the victim - he's going straight, has the right of way over turning vehicles, and would assume the truck would yield (although possibly a bit more cautious). You can't blame the driver - there's a small chance he could have seen the bicyclist.

I don't ride on First Avenue AT ALL. It's an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, it has...
KJPMPLS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

"fidgets" should be" fisheye"...

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Judged:

KJPMPLS wrote:
<quoted text>
mlars - The bicyclist WAS in a bike lane, on the street. The problem is that, in the city's infinite wisdom, those bike lanes are separated from the traffic lanes by a parking lane. And, since it was a box truck, the only way the driver would be able to see the bicyclist would be through the very tiny fidgets mirror mounted on the larger right mirror outside the right door - that is, unless he was hidden behind parked vehicles (a very good chance of this).
I believe the bicyclists family has a very good case against city planners here. You can't blame the victim - he's going straight, has the right of way over turning vehicles, and would assume the truck would yield (although possibly a bit more cautious). You can't blame the driver - there's a small chance he could have seen the bicyclist.
I don't ride on First Avenue AT ALL. It's an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, it has...
Weren't they both going in the same direction? How could the biker have the right of way? This street sounds like an accident happening.
Wary Cyclist

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Judged:

mlars wrote:
Mlars, I've been a driver for 25 years and a cyclist for more than that, I can tell you there is no law in either city or the state of MN that orders cyclists to use the bicycle lanes. If a bike lane is ten feet away and a cyclist assess that the lane is unsafe for riding in they can cycle in the street with automobile traffic. Fact is, cyclists don't need a reason to refuse to use bike lanes. It's perfectly within the law for them to cycle with automobile traffic in the city as long as they aren't obstructing traffic.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/Unde...

I think you need to check your attitude toward cyclists and who is the self-serving one here. You seem to not want to share the road with cyclists.
In addition, you're off a bit with your "fact" about Minneapolis bicycle lanes and paths. "Minneapolis has 43 miles of streets with dedicated bicycle lanes and 84 miles of off-street bicycle paths." http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/
So your "500 miles" is a little off.
As for "no one" using the bike infrastructure you're complaining about take a look at the numbers http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/bicy...
I see numbers in the thousands of users. I suppose it might be easy to not see them when you never get out of your car though Mlars, and if you never bicycle down the Midtown Greenway, which is so heavily used by cyclists that Freewheel bike shop opened a store right on the bike path.

I find your attitude rude and your assertion of statements that are entirely false to be truly arrogant.
Wary Cyclist

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> Weren't they both going in the same direction? How could the biker have the right of way?
Because the posted "yield to cyclist" signs at the intersection say they do.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Judged:

What's with all the people getting hit by vehicles the last couple weeks?? It's like one everyother day and many are people going to get their mail or just crossing streets. I don't want to sound sanctimnious but people need to start paying attention to what they're doing and for gods sake STOP drinking and driving!!! Most people have a hard time driving sober as far as I can tell so what makes you idiots out there think you can drive drunk..........
Dick L

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Wary Cyclist wrote:
<quoted text>
Mlars, I've been a driver for 25 years and a cyclist for more than that, I can tell you there is no law in either city or the state of MN that orders cyclists to use the bicycle lanes. If a bike lane is ten feet away and a cyclist assess that the lane is unsafe for riding in they can cycle in the street with automobile traffic. Fact is, cyclists don't need a reason to refuse to use bike lanes. It's perfectly within the law for them to cycle with automobile traffic in the city as long as they aren't obstructing traffic.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/Unde...
I think you need to check your attitude toward cyclists and who is the self-serving one here. You seem to not want to share the road with cyclists.
In addition, you're off a bit with your "fact" about Minneapolis bicycle lanes and paths. "Minneapolis has 43 miles of streets with dedicated bicycle lanes and 84 miles of off-street bicycle paths." http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/
So your "500 miles" is a little off.
As for "no one" using the bike infrastructure you're complaining about take a look at the numbers http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/bicy...
I see numbers in the thousands of users. I suppose it might be easy to not see them when you never get out of your car though Mlars, and if you never bicycle down the Midtown Greenway, which is so heavily used by cyclists that Freewheel bike shop opened a store right on the bike path.
I find your attitude rude and your assertion of statements that are entirely false to be truly arrogant.
I love your cute little pointy helmets.
Dead Right

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Wary Cyclist wrote:
<quoted text>
Classic case of no-one breaking the law and someone ending up DOA!

The biker was right according to the signs BUT he could not be seen by the truck driver making the laws utterly rediculas!

Don't know about you but I always look out for vehicles when I'm on my bike. I will NOT BE DEAD RIGHT!

Gobernut laws and signs KILL, people making te laws are very ignorant!

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

Wary Cyclist wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the cyclist assumed he had the right of way. Still have to look, very sad.
Wary Cyclist

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

Dead Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Classic case of no-one breaking the law and someone ending up DOA!
The biker was right according to the signs BUT he could not be seen by the truck driver making the laws utterly rediculas!
Don't know about you but I always look out for vehicles when I'm on my bike. I will NOT BE DEAD RIGHT!
Gobernut laws and signs KILL, people making te laws are very ignorant!
The question and argument was who had the right-of-way. The cyclist does. It's the truck driver's responsibility to be =absolutely sure= that there is nobody in that intersection before pulling through it.

It's not the laws and signs that kill, it's actually the City of Mpls DoT's design of the bicycle lane on First Avenue that most people in the local cycling community are holding responsible for this collision.
The design creates a block long blind spot, on every block, for a large portion of the distance of First Avenue.
The bicycle lane should not be wedged between the curb and a line of parked cars. It puts the cyclists out of sight from the auto traffic on First Avenue. Out of sight, out of mind, until they both reach the intersections. As an auto driver, if you haven't had to pay attention to cyclists for the distance of the block suddenly seeing a cyclist coming out from behind a parked car,=if you see them=, is unexpected and not the norm that is taught in any driving instruction school that I'm aware of. First Avenue is the only place this occurs because it was a grand experiment conducted by the traffic planners trying to do a European style bike track without the funds and political backing to properly construct a European style bike track. The local bicycle community has been railing against this design ever since it was implemented. The city wanted us to wait and give it a chance to work. Hey Mpls City planners! Is it working now?
Wary Cyclist

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

Dick L wrote:
<quoted text> I love your cute little pointy helmets.
and I love your avatar name - it's befitting of your cute little personality
Wary Cyclist

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> So, the cyclist assumed he had the right of way. Still have to look, very sad.
"Assumed"? He =did= have the right of way.

Let's look at how it really should be viewed.

The truck driver made the assumption there wasn't anyone in the intersection he needed to yield to. Who is at fault (besides the designers of the 1st Ave bike lane)? It's funny and very sad, cyclists can follow every rule of the road, every line of the law and yet people, primarily auto drivers, will continue to unfairly blame them for collisions.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/acci...
"The types of crashes are listed in order from most common to least common.

1. Motorist's Failure To Yield"

Some irrational motorists love to talk about "self-centered cyclists" all the time. A bit of self-examination is needed in the world of auto drivers. Those "share the road" signs aren't targeted toward cyclists but toward auto drivers. "Start seeing motorcycles" bumper stickers aren't for us bicyclists - it's for auto drivers.

Time for you auto drivers to start looking in the mirror.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hurricane Richard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
See the 'Saturday Night Live' skit that skewers... (Oct '10) Dec '10 Keenan 17
U of C research monkeys hit by hurricane (Dec '10) Dec '10 StellarKnight 3
Hurricane Richard approaches coast of Belize (Oct '10) Dec '10 pat toms 6
Squirrel leaves broken heart behind (Nov '10) Nov '10 belle 2
St. Charles council candidate arrested after po... (Oct '10) Nov '10 Interested party 6
Hurricane Richard's winds, rain batter tiny Belize (Oct '10) Oct '10 flipps 5
High wind warning posted for region; gusts of 6... (Oct '10) Oct '10 The Truth 5

Search the Hurricane Richard Forum:
•••