BP cut corners in days before oil rig...

BP cut corners in days before oil rig blowout, documents indicate

There are 23 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 14, 2010, titled BP cut corners in days before oil rig blowout, documents indicate. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

BP made a series of money-saving shortcuts and blunders that dramatically increased the danger of a destructive oil spill in a well that an engineer ominously described as a "nightmare" just six days before the blowout, according to documents released Monday that provide new insight into the causes of the disaster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ovie

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jun 14, 2010
Could someone please explain to me how none of these people are in prison, or as far as we know not even fired? Are there any consequences for these people in this country?
Ripped

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jun 14, 2010
BP CAN GO F THEMSELVES!
dallas

Webster, NY

#3 Jun 14, 2010
BP cut coners? NO WAY < FOR REAL? DUH
LOL

Bradenton, FL

#4 Jun 14, 2010
brian willians said there were sightings of Bush and Cheney swimming in the waters around the oil well just days before the explosion.

He said it hasn't been confirmed but, he believes it anyway.....
Al Bundy

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 14, 2010
Is anyone really surprised by these action? And to the idiots who say "if you drive, you're to blame and don't complain"--I didn't tell BP to take every shortcut in the book--none of us did. Well, okay, maybe a few "business trumps all" types did.
Julie

Beaverton, OR

#6 Jun 14, 2010
I actually don't care. I feel sad. But, no, I don't care. I don't eat seafood.
Julie

Beaverton, OR

#7 Jun 14, 2010
I really don't care.

Since: Mar 10

STP

#8 Jun 14, 2010
Julie wrote:
I actually don't care. I feel sad. But, no, I don't care. I don't eat seafood.
Do you really thing the only thing that comes out of the Gulf is seafood?? I hope that comment was sarcastic... You obviously have no idea how much this is going to impact generations to come. Eleven people died that day, but you dont care because you dont eat FISH - you have got to be nuts.

And while Im on the topic of those 11 people - I hope BP is happy with themselves. Taking risky shortcuts to save a few days and million bucks - how much is it costing you (and us) now BP? Those families must be growing more and more irate with the more information that is discovered about this disaster.
republican

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jun 14, 2010
bp = british petroleum, a foreign oil companys.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jun 14, 2010
This Obamaesque nightmare just keeps getting better. "BP made a series of money saving shortcuts and blunders." Where was the Olunderer in Chief? Doesn't he have staff that monitor the stages of development of off shore oil rigs? I think there were government regulators involved. I also think they were giving money to our crooked Chicago Politician.
Bob the Bilderberg

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jun 14, 2010
Freedom Lover wrote:
This Obamaesque nightmare just keeps getting better. "BP made a series of money saving shortcuts and blunders." Where was the Olunderer in Chief? Doesn't he have staff that monitor the stages of development of off shore oil rigs? I think there were government regulators involved. I also think they were giving money to our crooked Chicago Politician.
Give me a break. Fettered or unfettered markets? At some point, you have to make a choice beyond political gamesmanship or convenience.
Free Jeff Dubay

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jun 14, 2010
Ovie wrote:
Could someone please explain to me how none of these people are in prison, or as far as we know not even fired? Are there any consequences for these people in this country?
Who are you kidding? They'll probably be given a Golden Parachute and praised for seeing the company through tough times. All they want is their life back.

Since: Jan 10

Trussville, AL

#13 Jun 14, 2010
This whole episode is unreal. BP cutting corners to save a few million....They reportedly made profits of 4 BILLION last quarter. Since I made $16,000 last year, this is like me losing 2 or 3 dollars. If I could find insurance for that price, I would gladly pay it. BP cut those corners for this equivalent, and now we have the greatest ecological disaster ever....billions upon billions in damages. That's if you chose NOT to believe BP, which claims that the oil leaking is a mere trickle, oil is a natural substance and not that bad for the environment, and anyway there's other beaches in the world. Yeah, and imagine- despite early spring reports that gas prices would rise by summer (??!! How and why is this news? Two years ago the oil companies claimed they WEREN'T manipulating gas prices, COULDN'T in fact because of myriad market forces- yet every spring the newspaper reports that gas prices expect to rise for summer) THIS year gas prices FELL over the Memorial day holiday. First time in decades. With a major supplier losing production. Hmmm, defies the logic of supply and demand. But then, with oil companies posting record profits every quarter for the last two years- gas prices remaining high ALSO defies the logic of a free-market system and the laws of supply and demand. My point? The oil companies lie, cheat, and steal- and what's worse, they thwart our efforts to get to alternative energy sources. Bastards.
Don Juan Cartier

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jun 14, 2010
BP fools learn the hard way one does not cut corners or put another way by doing nothing...Now they will pay by losing their company..Stupidity and arrogance.
The same rules apply to Obumbler who is doing nothing by only running his big loud mouth...he is going to have to pay also by having to Resign because of his arogance and ignorance...and he will deserve this consequence because one does not rule in America...one governs!
To the pioneer press do not make threats...your are in the word business and should understand that censorship is UnAmerican. Freespeech can be harsh learn to live with it and GOW UP!
Pirate

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jun 14, 2010
This is yet another example of how important regulations are on business. These business leaders are like little kids and greedy as all hell.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jun 14, 2010
Say it ain't so. That regulators from the Obungler Administration were a little too cozy in their relationship with BP contractors. I think Michael Moore should conduct another investigatiion immediately.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jun 14, 2010
Good thing the Obama admin gave them that safety award. Interesting what you can get when you give to Obama.
Neil Strauss

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jun 14, 2010
There is a great story about this oil spill and explosion on 60 minutes. BP was at fault big time.

&fe ature=player_embedded
Livin Woodbury

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jun 14, 2010
Sure glad Obama accepted record donations from BP
Mr wakeup

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jun 14, 2010
did we not have a little problem with this country a few hundred years ago. trust um no matter of fact we will demand 50 ships with brits to come to our shores and clean their royal mess up or we will test our latest ships laser systems on your shores.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Ida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Potential Tropical Development in the Eastern P... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Anonymous 1
News Hurricane watch issued for coastal La., Miss. (Jul '10) Jul '10 maybe HAARP cause 1
News Documents: BP cut corners in days before blowout (Jun '10) Jun '10 Republicans 2
News Report shows BP cut corners | The Columbus Disp... (Jun '10) Jun '10 The Red Raider 24
News BP cut corners before spill (Jun '10) Jun '10 Al Reine 1
News National Hurricane Center considers adding stor... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Miss Carroll 1
News Loans available for Va. storm losses (Dec '09) Dec '09 york 1
More from around the web