South Florida's kind of hurricane sea...

South Florida's kind of hurricane season: None

There are 60 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Nov 27, 2007, titled South Florida's kind of hurricane season: None. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

You call that a hurricane season? It wasn't much of one, at least here in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
insurance man

Merritt Island, FL

#1 Nov 27, 2007
how about a refund
john

Miami, FL

#2 Nov 27, 2007
well what about our insurance rate increases, shouldn't we get our money refunded and rates reduced? These bogus weather forecasts have cost the Florida homeowner higher premiums. I'm looking for these companies to have record profits or for them to open new businesses to show no profits.
richard in ft lauderdale

Jonas Ridge, NC

#3 Nov 28, 2007
please no more bulls--t from dr gray
with is make believe forcast and 10 or more revisions
its a joke and you guys print this crap like it might happen
the problem is many dumb people still believe what they read in the news papers

dont forget there is still time for dr gray to adjust his forcast
3 more days
ha ha ha
no more dr gray
Bob in Boca

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Nov 28, 2007
john wrote:
well what about our insurance rate increases, shouldn't we get our money refunded and rates reduced? These bogus weather forecasts have cost the Florida homeowner higher premiums. I'm looking for these companies to have record profits or for them to open new businesses to show no profits.
If you made any upgrades to your home you can get a damage mitigation inspection. It saved me about 40% on the same policy upon renewal this year.

The discounts are there. The problem may be running into spending the money to make upgrades. They have a "My safe Florida home" program that helps split the cost up to $5K, but that has been abysmal from what I've seen and heard from every single person I know who applied.
Boca Bill

Bakersfield, CA

#6 Nov 28, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, Dr Gray along with NOAA and any other forecasting agency or individual, can keep their predictions to themselves. There is no need to print these predictions and for the public in general to get upset and placed in a panic mold all season. Just do your job on warning us of an immediate threat - say within 96 hours - so we will be prepared and take all the necessary steps as needed.

As for the remarks of people being put into a lull, forget about it. People are put into a lull when these crazy predictions are printed every year and the predictions don't pan out. Just because we had two bad back to back years with hurrianes and storms, there is no need to panic people with these predictions. We live in Florida and everyone knows we are prone and subject to hurricanes. Also, the insurance companies should do away with THEIR hurricane models as it relates to their premiums. No hurricanes or tropical storms with high wind or damage should equal to reduced rates instead of lining the pockets of their investors and increasing their profit line.

Just do your jobs and warn us when we are in immediate danger of either a tropical storm or hurricane and quit naming sub tropical storms to make your stats come on line with the predictions and don't include sub tropical or tropical storms prior to the beginning of the season to make your stats also. As Joe Friday use to say - Just the facts.
HeyFPL

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Nov 28, 2007
Ok FPL let's go..you increased everyone 50% back in 05..now where is your contribution to helping our the poor Floridian in your little personal MONOPOLY of the system..give us a rate cut..you have collected more than enough to fill your pot of emergency funds..How come no one ever reports on how much BONUSE$ the FPL executives get????
Mikey

Spartanburg, SC

#9 Nov 28, 2007
We don't need any predictions. With the internet and real-time radar, we can see for ourselves the location of storms and "guess" if we need to do something about them. The science doesn't yet exist for accurate forecasting. Acknowledge that fact and then leave it alone until technology is better developed. People will become complacent to preparation if Dr. Gray's predicitions are heeded and then later not realized. Maybe his plan is to jostle us to better prepare and then say "whew, we dodged the bullet again this year".
Link Missing

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Nov 28, 2007
Wow - no mention of "Global Warming (Climate Change)". You can be sure that if there HAD been a major storm or two they would be telling us about it until hurricane season 2008. It's a scam. Just as you can never claim that scientists have a consensus that global climate change is man-made, they can't claim to have a consensus on how many and how severe hurricanes will be. Also this is only the second story that I have read in the SS today and both of them had typographical errors. Are the editors still eating turkey or what?
John Thomas

Jonas Ridge, NC

#11 Nov 28, 2007
I hope they quit saying how many hurricanes we are going to have or form and what their going to do.
Do those guys get paid to do that. Perhaps they need to let weather do its work and move to a job they can do, such as repairing roofs or carrying water to Lake Okeechobee.
I know it isn't exact but then again it never has been and never will.
John from Boca

United States

#12 Nov 28, 2007
"in addition, there was a meteorological mystery: Despite the arrival of La Niña in September, strong upper-level wind shear stunted several storms. That befuddled forecasters because La Niña is an atmospheric force that normally would reduce wind shear and promote storm formation."

This means we know jack sh!t.
Jim

Boca Raton, FL

#13 Nov 28, 2007
In reference to the 'stronger winds' that kept the hurricanes at bay - I'm guessing that the source of that wind is the hot air and stink blowing out of Washington DC.?

Since: May 07

Miami, FL

#14 Nov 28, 2007
Has anyone noticed that with increased technology, the predictions have become more inaccurate? Even the daily rain forcast sucks.

I would love to get paid for predicting stuff and not have to be accountable for it the next day and to be able to "adjust" the statistics during the "season"....
Serge A Storms

Jupiter, FL

#15 Nov 28, 2007
We were blessed? More like lucky. We sure were not blessed in 2004.
Einstein

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 Nov 28, 2007
Actually, the predictions about the path of hurricanes have become way more accurate, even in the last 10 years. They still don't have the intensity forecasting tuned as well but if the path is good, you have to take prudent precautions.

While I agree with the complaints about the financial gouging by FPL & the insurance wimps, I think that hitting on the NHC people is way off base and indicative is an indication of very immature and/or unknowledgable persons.

I am now in my 6th decade as a Floridian and have observed the hurricanes up close and over time. The ability to accurately predict path and intensity with a much further reaching time frame has changed radically and allows people to plan better.

Back in the 50s and 60s, there was little technological improvement over the decades before, except in communications and aerial surveillance.

Since then, no weather system escapes the satellite surveillance system. The technological advantages we now have, even over the early 1990s - some of you may remember Andrew - give us a much bigger advantage today.

The above complaints re the NHC are pretty much petty and warrantless, except for the debacle of naming Polenzy director. That seemed to be a political decision and it should not be repeated. They need a solid person, like Max Mayfield, that exuces credibility.

Of course, in today's world, there will always be a number of screamers that will tear them down, but we have to live with it.
Glad we left

United States

#18 Nov 28, 2007
John from Boca wrote:
"in addition, there was a meteorological mystery: Despite the arrival of La Niña in September, strong upper-level wind shear stunted several storms. That befuddled forecasters because La Niña is an atmospheric force that normally would reduce wind shear and promote storm formation."
This means we know jack sh!t.
Wilma destroyed our home in 2005...took 8 months for the insurance to pay on a roofless building which, by then, was totally wrecked. Sold it as junk and it was never repaired. Refused to look back. Miss some things but climate wasn't one of those items. Neither was the crime. We like frosty mornings with trees which change colors. We also enjoy having a property with land...lots of land....and for about ten percent what it would cost in Florida. Taxes are $120 a year. Insurance about $500.

Mark my words, Broward WILL get hit again and badly. It will happen in 2008 or 2009 and it will be very, very rough. Communities do not have it any more together now than they did in 2004-5. Every time FL fails to 'dodge the bullet' the local politicos run around saying, "My gosh! What will we do? The sky is falling. We're having a weather event! Washington should do something." Face it, what happened in the wake of Wilma showed supreme incompetence. Politicians come and politicians go but the 'someone else should do something' atttude remains. If northern Floridians and FEMA contractors out of MO hadn't gone to Broward and began clearing streets and repairing traffic lights you'd still be playing dodge-em at intersections with missing traffic lights and local police lolling on their cruisers waiting for the crash rather than directing rush hour traffic as they were taught to do. Long range predictions indicate that Florida from about Lake Worth south will be underwater in a few decades. I hope the wildlife and the few good people there have the sense to sell and leave in time.
Fla Boy

Pompano Beach, FL

#19 Nov 28, 2007
Link Missing wrote:
Wow - no mention of "Global Warming (Climate Change)". You can be sure that if there HAD been a major storm or two they would be telling us about it until hurricane season 2008. It's a scam. Just as you can never claim that scientists have a consensus that global climate change is man-made, they can't claim to have a consensus on how many and how severe hurricanes will be. Also this is only the second story that I have read in the SS today and both of them had typographical errors. Are the editors still eating turkey or what?
...and since we know that George Bush is responsible for global warming and sending Katrina to New Orleans, as well as all other disasters man made or not, shouldn't we give him credit for keeping hurricanes away this year?
Living in Paradise

Pompano Beach, FL

#20 Nov 28, 2007
I guess we must thank George Bush and man made global warming for the reduction in hurricanes!
Bud Lite

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#21 Nov 28, 2007
Fla Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
...and since we know that George Bush is responsible for global warming and sending Katrina to New Orleans, as well as all other disasters man made or not, shouldn't we give him credit for keeping hurricanes away this year?
Algore and the warming crowd gotta be POed about this.
Ashley

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Nov 28, 2007
The idea that you can actually predict hurricanes itself is a big Joke!! Do yourself a favor and stop watching all these idiots and self proclaimed "Dr Hurricane" and concentrate on more important issues of life here in South Florida.....These so called experts just love to rev people up with nonsense predictions....
professor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#23 Nov 28, 2007
next year no scare monger tactics please!!!
because we know the hurricane center and insurance comanies love scaring all the home owners.
look at dania, deerfield, victoria park,
the gables . coconut grove, south beach, key west- all the old homes from a 100 years ago still stand??? how come?? and they are so close to the beach??
only the suburban crap built with a staple gun on the cheap and drywall will blow.
so beware- you dont get my insurance money- i blow it on a ski trip and a few good bottles of wine...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Dean Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tropical Storm Emily soaks eastern Caribbean (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rod 1
News Need to Know: July 28, 2011 (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rod 1
News Hurricane Karl takes aim at Mexican Gulf coast (Sep '10) Sep '10 Dave 3
News Tropical Storm Karl heads to Gulf of Mexico 37 ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 on the waterfront 1
News Tropical Storm Karl hits Mexico (Sep '10) Sep '10 Mrs Sierra 3
News TS Karl hits Mexico's Yucatan (Sep '10) Sep '10 Texas Girl 2
News FEMA administrator steps down -- Emergency Plan... (Apr '08) Feb '09 Night4Owl 11
More from around the web