FEMA administrator steps down -- Emer...

FEMA administrator steps down -- Emergency Planning, New York, ...

There are 11 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 2, 2008, titled FEMA administrator steps down -- Emergency Planning, New York, .... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

R. David Paulison isn't waiting for the next president to give him the boot. Paulison, 61, of Miami, announced on Wednesday that he plans to step down as the administrator of the Federal Emergency Management ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

#1 Apr 2, 2008
HUD guy gone, FEMA guy gone, good riddance. The HUD guy is a criminal and most likely be prosecuted. The FEMA guy is high tailing it out just before FEMA gets sued for being in cahoots with CDC about the toxic chemicals in the FEMA trailers no one did anything about.
Greg

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#2 Apr 2, 2008
Good job. Thank you for your service.
hmmm

Athens, GA

#3 Apr 2, 2008
When Chief Paulison leaves and the next pres is elected, it will go back to the same FUBAR it was before.
chuck ornellas

United States

#4 Apr 2, 2008
the next pres does not start until jan

isn't 8 months notice a bit much?

why make the comment that he will leave even if the next pres asks him to stay?

if you are going to leave....just leave
bronco fan 1990

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Apr 2, 2008
be worried if the head rats start jumping ship, something is going on.
Long View

West Columbia, SC

#6 Apr 2, 2008
I have worked with FEMA folks in Emittsburg, MD off and on for many years. In the past, it has been a weill-recognized "good old boys" club for retired senior fire and emergency management types. In my opinion, while there were some really dedicated folks there, far too many FEMA employees were of the "retired on active duty" type. Planning was perfunctory, training was unrealistic, and performance during real emergencies was less than satisfactory.

The fact that he has tried to change the basic culture of FEMA tells me that Paulison understood the true character of that organization long before he got there. He has been looking for long-term fixes to long-running problems. I hope he has made a difference.

I think he will be missed.

What FEMA does not need is more of the Bush-era cronyism that saw someone like Brown appointed director of an agency that would be directly responsible for whether or not my family suffers during the next hurricane or flood or wildfire. That still makes me mad: There but for the grace of God could have been my family sitting in that Superdome for days waiting for help that never came.

I'm hoping the Democrats won't play the same games with my family's health and safety that W was so willing to do.
poop on the driveway

Plano, TX

#8 Apr 2, 2008
LEST WE FORGET, FEMA IS ANOTHER FOUR LETTER WORD
Meg

Washington, DC

#9 Apr 2, 2008
David, welcome back! I was bummed, wondering what lame brain horse farmer we were going to get next! Keep up the good work!
could not be more proud

Jacksonville, FL

#10 Apr 2, 2008
You have done an outstanding job. Thank you for giving so much to your job. I'm thrilled to hear that FEMA will no longer supply ice. All they did was complain about it melting anyway. I know you will have no trouble finding another job when the time to comes to FEMA. Thanks again.
Jose

AOL

#12 Jan 20, 2009
Dave, great job. You will be missed. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand the qualifications you brought to the table. I only hope and pray that whoever takes your place will be equally qualified for the benefit of the Country. God Bless and thank you for your service.
Night4Owl

Kaneohe, HI

#13 Feb 26, 2009
Paulison will be missed by those at and around FEMA that try to make a positive difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Dean Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tropical Storm Emily soaks eastern Caribbean (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rod 1
News Need to Know: July 28, 2011 (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rod 1
News Hurricane Karl takes aim at Mexican Gulf coast (Sep '10) Sep '10 Dave 3
News Tropical Storm Karl heads to Gulf of Mexico 37 ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 on the waterfront 1
News Tropical Storm Karl hits Mexico (Sep '10) Sep '10 Mrs Sierra 3
News TS Karl hits Mexico's Yucatan (Sep '10) Sep '10 Texas Girl 2
News South Florida's kind of hurricane season: None (Nov '07) Dec '08 julie pearl banaag 60
More from around the web