Feds to Restrict Volunteers at Disast...

Feds to Restrict Volunteers at Disasters

There are 84 comments on the The Associated Press story from Sep 1, 2007, titled Feds to Restrict Volunteers at Disasters . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Retiree Gene O'Brien hurried to the World Trade Center site after Sept. 11, 2001, as a volunteer helping to shuttle supplies to police and fire workers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Orwellian

United States

#1 Sep 1, 2007
What's to stop the "officials" from encoding someone's card DELIBERATELY as a "DO NOT ADMIT" because they do not approve of that person's political persuasion or what that person might say of the "official" response..........
Just some food for thought-it has happened before and happens now
Wrong

United States

#2 Sep 2, 2007
This is for the weak or union inspired. One can set a volunteer desk for coordination of activities. You ask and plea for volunteers and then come up with this idea of no volunteers. Your idea is insane and reeks. They have so many so called experts in government that nothing is done in a timely manner. Sometimes a volunteer is the only hope to get things done. A volunteer does not have to wonder if the right thing is being done. The volunteer just does what needs to be done. Big brother, you are wrong. Always wanting to blame someone. This time you blame the volunteer. Look in the mirror and you will see the problem. It is not the volunteer. It is you.
sam

Washington, DC

#3 Sep 2, 2007
They have had too many incidents where lies were told to defend their actions at disasters therefore the feds do not want any witnesses to their on scene crimes. This is my theory.
sam

Washington, DC

#4 Sep 2, 2007
Of the few true disasters I have personally been involved with,the largest incompetetiveness has always been the"proffessionals" inability to communicate with each other since their are so many different "proffessional"Feder al agencys.Each of which needs permission before taking action.
charles simmons JR

Auburn Hills, MI

#5 Sep 2, 2007
THATS WHY WE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE SICK AND TIRED,OF THE POLYTRICS. THATS IS THE SAME AS THEM POLITICIANS THINKING THEY ARE TRAINED IN GOVT DUTIES ! BS, THEY CANT EVEN THINK FOR THEMSELVES. THE CITIZENS DO HAVE THE BIG BUSINESS LOBBYING 4 THEM. ALMOST 6 YEARS AFTER 911 THE PRESIDENT IS STILL DUMB FOUNDED. THE BEST TICKET FOR THE PRESIDENTAIL AND VICE PRESIDENT IS HILLARY @ MR BILL CLINTON AMERICANS ARE SICK OF THE OVERSEAS WORRIES WE HAVE TO MANY ISSUES AT HOME !!!!!! I LIVED IN GERMANY FOR 8 MONTHS ! SO GOD BLESS AMERICA AND AND LET THIS COUNTRY BE #1 AGAIN
nette

Baldwin City, KS

#6 Sep 2, 2007
There are many local and community organizations that volunteers cand get the training to help in disasters. If you want to be a volunteer in your community when a disaster happens, go get the training from the organizations. That way, there is no need for the fear of somebody is going to do something wrong that could get all the rescue workers hurt or even killed. It isn't a matter of not wanting people to help, but a a matter of getting true help that doesn't endanger anybody who is there working.
czarzan

AOL

#7 Sep 2, 2007
This plan would also help kep out terrorist infiltrators who would seek to do further damage at an attack site or a natural disaster. I could descibe a hypotheical scenario but it frightens me too much just thinking about it.
Silenced Majority

Madison, AL

#8 Sep 2, 2007
Just one more step to a socialized system. Pretty soon everyone will have a government ID card and everyone will be tagged and monitored by the Federal Government. This will all be done in the name of "safety and security" of course. The federal government, all government in fact has gotten to big and they continue to want to make it bigger. When the true conservatives stand up and take back their authority this type of socializition by incrementalism will cease. Without God in leadership of this country we will go the way of every other society in history. Dictator/despotism.
Silenced Majority

Madison, AL

#9 Sep 2, 2007
socialization, not socializition.
Buzz

United States

#10 Sep 2, 2007
after being involved is seveal disasters I agree taht something has to be done, maybe filims all the fumbling the gov. agencies are doing
Buzz

United States

#11 Sep 2, 2007
After being involved is several disasters I agree something must be done maybe filming the gov. agency fumbling some go smoothly some are a disaster in and of themselves, quite often they are not enough gov. workers anywhere near the scene until days after, as to being certified to do the work, look at the airport screeners, they are certified
John Butuso

Waynesburg, PA

#12 Sep 2, 2007
Now that the gov. is putting in there two cents. It will take 2 years to get any help to a disaster. Look how fast the gov. has help the south Katrina. If California told the gov. to jump in the lake the would. We as a nation are going to HEll be letting the gov. telling us how we should live and now who to help. The gov. needs to look in a merror and get there Sh-- to gether first.
UTmidge

Santa Monica, CA

#13 Sep 2, 2007
I think it's a good idea for people to attend disaster preparedness classes, get certified, and then carry the volunteer id cards so that they can be first-responders in the event of a disaster. There are already CPR courses available all over the place, why not extend that program to include other areas of disaster-preparedness? It's not a matter of the government having more control over the people, it's a matter of the people having more control over their own safety and well-being, and being well-trained to do so.
Smurfys Law

United States

#14 Sep 2, 2007
From the story;"Proponents say the system will get professionals on scene quicker and keep untrained volunteers from making tough work more difficult." I know the times that I worked on disasters I had to have a medical evaluation prior to deployment. The last thing a first responder wants is to become part of the problem, that is someone who needs rescuing themselves because of a medical disability.(It)'s Murphy's Law. If anything can go wrong it will, at the worst possible moment.So yes I agree with limiting access to a disaster zone, same as a crime scene, or across the border. It's common sense, so rare these days, with all the chidren that were left behind.
sylviette

Duluth, MN

#15 Sep 2, 2007
The United States has always had a history of volunteerism. From the Minutemen of the Revolutionary War to the present day all volunteer armed services.
One reason we were the country we were is because of the common man's willingness to help his neighbor in times of need.
Looking at history, there is not much we would have accomplished without the common citizen stepping up.
On the other hand, as Bush said after Hurricane Katrina, "Good job, Brownie."
Mike

United States

#16 Sep 2, 2007
The Gov't doesn's want to share any glory with the common honest hard working man or woman, who wants to help in an emergency. Have you ever tried to help a cop when he is in trouble or needs help, whoa do't even try as you will be told to get back, as they don't want to share their glory either. Think not, just try and give them a hand.
Tifton

United States

#17 Sep 2, 2007
The worst bunglers are the "trained officials". I saw an accident happen and stopped to help. The drivers door was damaged and wouldn't open but the window was broken and I could reach in and get the keys. I took them and unlocked the passenger door just as the "rescue" vehicle arrived. The "rescuer" tried to open the drivers door and couldn't. He told his buddy to get the Jaws of Life because they were going to have to pry or cut the door off to get to the injured man. I tried to tell him the passenger door was open and he told me to "shut up and get out of there or he would have me arrested as soon as the police got there".
Wouldn't it have been better to get in the front seat from the passenger side and treat the injured man instead of spending 20 minutes to pry the driver's door off? Is it right to have someone arrested just for pointing out that the passenger door is open? Thats officialdumb for you.
jeff

Auburn Hills, MI

#18 Sep 2, 2007
how stupid, another way our goverment whostates mor freedoms les goverment want to add more unwanted unneeded red tape. why not deal with the problem of unprepared goverment. if not for the volounters were would we be. look at katrina relief, sure glad the goverments on top of that one
Chiz from Joinerville TX

Fairport, NY

#19 Sep 2, 2007
Eliminating volunteers that are'nt hand picked or "chronies" seems like the desired outcome for something such as the proposed could be responsible for. If a citizen posseses a driver's license or a state's version of an ID card it should be sufficiant, because U.S. citizens should never be discouraged from helping each other in a time of need.
Beuracrats appear to want control of every aspect of being a free citizen, and if allowed they will have succeded, and if it takes using our fears associated with our children or disasters to do it thay will.
I say they should seek out the beginning sources of this approach taken in order to see just what the true motivation was in the start of this suggestion (like are they owners of a business that sells the cards or the services related to aquiring them).
WILLY

Harrington, DE

#20 Sep 2, 2007
FINALLY A GOOD IDEA FROM THE GOVERNMENT?. WIHT ALL of the hazardous debris in a [any] building and that size: stand-by and get checked In!.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Daniel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 4 Lottery Tickets Win $330M Grand Prize (Sep '07) Jun '08 yournutts 84
News As Support Lags, Colleges Tack on Student Fees (Sep '07) Sep '07 freebird 1
News Intense hurricane Felix (Sep '07) Sep '07 Gerart 4
News Shark Forces Evacuation Of N.Y. Beach (Sep '07) Sep '07 Support4 columbians 1
News Lottery: 4 Win Estimated $330M Jackpot (Sep '07) Sep '07 Who Cares 2
More from around the web