Nurses union and hospitals reach tent...

Nurses union and hospitals reach tentative agreement

There are 69 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 1, 2010, titled Nurses union and hospitals reach tentative agreement. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Striking nurses picket outside Children's Hospital Thursday, June 10, 2010 in Minneapolis as more than 12,000 nurses stage a one-day strike at 14 hospitals in the Twin Cities metro area in a dispute over staffing levels and pension benefits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
like I said

Saint Paul, MN

#65 Jul 1, 2010
Oh I hope not, after getting a full exposure of the lowbrow, union thug mentality of the nurses which shocked me, I was so looking forward to all of them being fired. They are as arrogant, dumb, selfish as the airline unions plus the shameful tactic of wrapping all of this around "it's for the patients" BS.
All together now

Saint Paul, MN

#66 Jul 1, 2010
Aw darn it, I was so looking forward to this selfish union being put in it's place but good. I have such a low opinion of nurses now.
What a bummer

Lakeville, MN

#67 Jul 1, 2010
All together now wrote:
Aw darn it, I was so looking forward to this selfish union being put in it's place but good. I have such a low opinion of nurses now.
I am sure the nurses care what some guy who lives in his parents basement thinks. What are the folks cooking for dinner tonight. HA
Did you mean

Lakeville, MN

#68 Jul 1, 2010
like I said wrote:
Oh I hope not, after getting a full exposure of the lowbrow, union thug mentality of the nurses which shocked me, I was so looking forward to all of them being fired. They are as arrogant, dumb, selfish as the airline unions plus the shameful tactic of wrapping all of this around "it's for the patients" BS.
Oh I hope so, after getting a full exposure of the lowbrow, hospital thug mentality of the hospital administration which shocked me, I was so looking forward to the hospital paying 16 Million dollars a week for scabs. The hospitals are as arrogant, selfish as Bernie Madoff and other rich executives plus the shameful tactic of wrapping all of this around, "This was good for patients and the community." (Schriner Spokeswoman) it's all BS.
Numbers

Lakeville, MN

#69 Jul 1, 2010
Not suprised wrote:
Nurses do not suck. But they were acting pretty ridiculous. Of course so were the hospitals. But if anyone out there thinks that hospitals care about patient safety they are delusional. Hospitals care about money and giving off the perception that they care. Unions do suck though. It was amazing as a non-union health care provider to watch this unfold. It got so ugly and so nasty and nothing that you apparently wanted got solved. Come work at one of the non-union hospitals and see how good you have it. We have to adjust and get used to more patients. It is very hard at first, but it gets easier and managable. The only people who cannot hack it are the ones who think work should include facebook and internet shopping time. The nurses had to fold, if they went on strike they would be out of jobs. Doesn't anyone remember the Northwest mechanics? They made a smart move to stop fighting for the sake of fighting, suck it up, and keep their jobs.
There were about 2000 Mechanics. There were 12,000 nurses they weren't going to be replaced. It is a numbers game. UNION YES!!!!!!!!
Nancy

Pipestone, MN

#70 Jul 2, 2010
Reed M wrote:
<quoted text>
Truly!
Their position eroded because the Union took this a bridge too far, and they lost their nurses' support.
In the end, the Union bosses had to come back with their hats in their hands and ask again for the "final offer" they rejected just a few days before.
They settled for none of the staffing ratios they claimed were what this was about. They squeezed the money they could can had to accept it because they had no other choice.
BIngo !! the Union said no to the contracts, stateing unless the nurse to patient
ratio was in it also. SO the nurses must have diagreed and the Union had to back
down
Are you kidding

Saint Paul, MN

#71 Jul 2, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
Happy days are here again...
The union stood together, stayed strong, and watched as the management negotiating team folded their cards and decided to quit bluffing.
Well done to all who supported their union and made those crooked corporations back down.
\

I could have written this post for you, it was so
predictable. You have been spouting on every article
written that it was necessary to strike to win all the
points they wanted. They cave and you say they "stood
together, stayed strong, and watched as the management
team folded". You are so far beyond a joke I have
laughed myself out by now. The hospitals weren't the
ones bluffing, blowhard, and now everyone knows it.

Anyone still believe this guy is anything more than a
paid union operative? Remember this with every post
he writes.
UNIONS ROCK

Minneapolis, MN

#73 Jul 4, 2010
Those of you who say there's no place for unions today haven't been wrongfully terminated as MN is an "at will" state. They can fire you for any reason or no reason & there's no recourse. I had exceptional performance evals for 8 yrs.and was fired for abuse of ill time when I was hospitalized for 7 days, actually it was because my manager disliked and harassed me. That wouldn't have happened if I was lucky enough to belong to a union.
All the naysayers here are just jealous because when your employer keeps telling you to bend over you have to say "how far?" Positions are eliminated and your forced to work more, your wages frozen & benefits decreased, as you see upper management getting nice bonuses. Don't tell me you are all fine with that & wouldn't want a union to minimize your loss. Oh, I forgot, you're all so grateful to just have a job.All that bending over causes back problems, so remember to bend at the knees!!!!
Harbinger

United States

#74 Jul 4, 2010
UNIONS ROCK wrote:
Those of you who say there's no place for unions today haven't been wrongfully terminated as MN is an "at will" state. They can fire you for any reason or no reason & there's no recourse. I had exceptional performance evals for 8 yrs.and was fired for abuse of ill time when I was hospitalized for 7 days, actually it was because my manager disliked and harassed me. That wouldn't have happened if I was lucky enough to belong to a union.
All the naysayers here are just jealous because when your employer keeps telling you to bend over you have to say "how far?" Positions are eliminated and your forced to work more, your wages frozen & benefits decreased, as you see upper management getting nice bonuses. Don't tell me you are all fine with that & wouldn't want a union to minimize your loss. Oh, I forgot, you're all so grateful to just have a job.All that bending over causes back problems, so remember to bend at the knees!!!!
Obviously you are an a55, and you finally give them an out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Alex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Young zebra mussel found in Red River (Jul '10) Aug '14 Aureavallis 10
News Cameron County prepares for major storms (Jun '11) Jun '11 lawife 1
News A team of tasters relished the job of determini... (Jul '10) Dec '10 unclepud 82
News Mexico hit with a 6.2 earthquake and braces for... (Jun '10) Dec '10 LA2YA 10
News 2010 hurricanes steered clear of U.S. landfalls (Dec '10) Dec '10 Mr_Bill 12
News Elderly Couple Dies in Flood Waters Near Mathis (Aug '10) Sep '10 SomeYaoiFan 2
News Perry blasts feds for Rio Grande levee maintenance (Sep '10) Sep '10 curious 2
More from around the web