Young zebra mussel found in Red River

North Dakota wildlife officials say a young zebra mussel has been found in the Red River, between Wahpeton and neighboring Breckenridge, Minn. Full Story
Malthus

Pleasanton, CA

#1 Jul 1, 2010
In other words, nature and evolution work just fine with out any interference from man.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jul 1, 2010
Malthus wrote:
In other words, nature and evolution work just fine with out any interference from man.
The zebra mussel was introduced to this continent by latching onto ships. It is not native to this region. It originally was found in lakes in some areas of Russia. Since then it has spread to several countries, again via shipping.

So you see it was only through the "interference" from man that caused these mussels to get here in the first place.
Old Guy

Chanhassen, MN

#3 Jul 1, 2010
The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Why is this news anymore. Nobody can fix the problem, so forget about it, unless you can fix it. DNR doesn't have a clue either. I guess we can blame it on "of course the fishermen". What a crock.
Magic

Plymouth, MN

#4 Jul 1, 2010
The Zebra was brought to the USA in ships because environmentalists forced law changes to reduce the volume of salt water from getting into the Great Lakes.

The salt water was carried into the Great Lakes as ballast in ships after they were flushed while at sea. So once the flushing stopped all the European spieces got a free ride to the states.

Thanks Environmentalists.

BTW fishmen and their boats have NO IMPACT on the spread of the Zebra, you see they are carried all over by birds. Ya, ducks and geese etc.

Same with all the other things that grow, they get a ride on the birds..
ex-DNR supporter

Little Falls, MN

#5 Jul 1, 2010
Where did you get those gems Magic?

I believe that "salties" are still doing water exchange in the ocean. The problem lies with the fact that the bottom of the chambers that hold ballast water have lots of muck and are difficult to clean.
R Peltier

Maple Plain, MN

#6 Jul 1, 2010
The DNR should do 2 things.
1. Put a limit on them say 2 lbs with 6 lbs in possession
2. Post tasty recipes for them on their web site.

They will be poached into extinction in 3 years.
It wouldn't hurt if PETA came to their defense either.
R Peltier

Maple Plain, MN

#7 Jul 1, 2010
ex-DNR supporter wrote:
Where did you get those gems Magic?
I believe that "salties" are still doing water exchange in the ocean. The problem lies with the fact that the bottom of the chambers that hold ballast water have lots of muck and are difficult to clean.
Do they live in salt water also?
Zebra airplanes

Prior Lake, MN

#9 Aug 18, 2010
The Zebra is spread by waterfowl as stated in the following report:

Take a read, the primary means of the spread of Zebras is attachment to waterfowl. The boat accesses could be closed and the Zebra would continue to spread, thanks to ducks, geese, loons, herrons, gulls, any and all waterfowl.

Interesting if you view the sperad of Zebra map the manifestations follow the Mississippi flyway.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/watersupply/lakepond/ ...

P.S. I don't understand WHY the DNR isn't educating Minnesota residents that Waterfowl spread the Zebra, political reasons???

Maybe the DNR is controlled by the rich and would love to eliminate the movement of the public to different lakes via public access.

The rich property owners would love to see public accesses closed. You know the lakes are really theirs.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Sep 12, 2010
R Peltier wrote:
The DNR should do 2 things.
1. Put a limit on them say 2 lbs with 6 lbs in possession
2. Post tasty recipes for them on their web site.
They will be poached into extinction in 3 years.
It wouldn't hurt if PETA came to their defense either.
even though they are edible. they tend to accumulate contaminents into the bodies.
and if we eat them. we would get those same contaminents into our bodies as well.
only way to make them safe. is to farm them in safe waters. as in tanks.
Aureavallis

United States

#11 Aug 21, 2014
I think that spiritually and environmentally the Red River, the USA and the globe are out of sync. I think that the native peoples of the USA should have one continuous seat on the USA Supreme Court. Ethics and spirituality are connected. They were the first ones to live on the lands of North Dakota and the environment and humanity was in better shape in my opinion. And yes I do drive a car and have a phone but I like to breath fresh air, drink clean cool water, and a little sunshine with a gentle breeze doesnt hurt every now and then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Alex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cameron County prepares for major storms (Jun '11) Jun '11 lawife 1
A team of tasters relished the job of determini... (Jul '10) Dec '10 unclepud 82
Mexico hit with a 6.2 earthquake and braces for... (Jun '10) Dec '10 LA2YA 10
2010 hurricanes steered clear of U.S. landfalls (Dec '10) Dec '10 Mr_Bill 12
Elderly Couple Dies in Flood Waters Near Mathis (Aug '10) Sep '10 SomeYaoiFan 2
Perry blasts feds for Rio Grande levee maintenance (Sep '10) Sep '10 curious 2
Texas, Mexico prepare for Tropical Storm Hermine (Sep '10) Sep '10 losing it 2
More from around the web