A team of tasters relished the job of...

A team of tasters relished the job of determining who makes the bes...

There are 82 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 30, 2010, titled A team of tasters relished the job of determining who makes the bes.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Who makes the best Coney? That's what Dean's Tavern wants decided once and for all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

Brooklyn Park

#2 Jul 1, 2010
Too bad the Original Coney Island on St. Peter closed. That was the best one!
TAZ

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jul 1, 2010
the Gogher's coney's are the best
Leroy

Titusville, FL

#4 Jul 1, 2010
TAZ wrote:
the Gogher's coney's are the best
Where's "Gogher's?"
Bud

Titusville, FL

#5 Jul 1, 2010
Art Noch's "Randolph Inn" at Randolph & Griggs had great ones in the '60s.
Happihal

Saint Cloud, MN

#6 Jul 1, 2010
We're talking about a St. Paul institution here. The Gopher bar rules! Take your phony suburban Coneys and keep 'em.
Lowertown

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jul 1, 2010
Leroy wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's "Gogher's?"
It's in Lowertown on 7th street and Wacouta - check out the bars section at www.lowertownlanding.com they have a picture and map of the area.

Cheers!
Edwin Booth

Titusville, FL

#8 Jul 1, 2010
Happihal wrote:
We're talking about a St. Paul institution here. The Gopher bar rules! Take your phony suburban Coneys and keep 'em.
Huh?
"Suburbs?"
Lou

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jul 1, 2010
I find it funny Kathie, who works for the PP, would pan the Gopher. The owners are Conservatives and promote guns rights. Also, isn't Katie the one who said Pizza Mafia was good? My brother-in-law, who is in prison, has better taste than Kathie.
jct

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jul 1, 2010
Dean's is no "suburban" bar...it's rice street through and through!! Anyone know how long Dean's has been Deans??
haha George

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jul 1, 2010
The Gopher is overrated, overpriced and the owner is offensive and has no appreciation for the customers he can still get to visit.
jhs85

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jul 1, 2010
haha George wrote:
The Gopher is overrated, overpriced and the owner is offensive and has no appreciation for the customers he can still get to visit.
i would agree with this one, the owner is an offensive ass and expects you to cater to his needs. i know i dealt with him years ago!
KARMA CHAMELEON

Clearwater, FL

#13 Jul 1, 2010
I haven't been there in many years, but back in the day the Gopher was the filthiest bar around. Homeless drunks were whizzing and puking on the barroom floor during lunch hour! I totally agree that the color of the hot dogs was disgusting: It was a blessing the day I got my coney with the hot dog (smothered in toppings) still in the plastic wrap!!!!
tomtrishy

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jul 1, 2010
Sounds to me like the Gopher offering was better overall if you factor out things like the use of profanity by the server. Part of the reason some of us go to the Gopher is because of it's raw, old school ambiance. Also, a grilled hot dog is not the be all and end all of hot dog making; just ask every street corner hot dog vendor in New York City.

Since: Sep 09

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jul 1, 2010
Dean's has been around 101 years. Enough time to perfect the "Coney". Tip for the Gopher: Try being nice to your customers.

-btw Their Coneys have taken a dive in the last few years. Dunno why.
simple math

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jul 1, 2010
Lou wrote:
I find it funny Kathie, who works for the PP, would pan the Gopher. The owners are Conservatives and promote guns rights. Also, isn't Katie the one who said Pizza Mafia was good? My brother-in-law, who is in prison, has better taste than Kathie.
So, this is political ...? Please tell us you're being ironic.
Hungry Hungry Hippo

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jul 1, 2010
Mmmmmm...me want dog...me want dog.
jct

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 1, 2010
Happihal wrote:
I'd say after 101 years, Dean's can be considered a "St. Paul Institution" if need be...but really, is that a great title, anyway??
Bubs

Titusville, FL

#20 Jul 1, 2010
tomtrishy wrote:
Sounds to me like the Gopher offering was better overall if you factor out things like the use of profanity by the server. Part of the reason some of us go to the Gopher is because of it's raw, old school ambiance. Also, a grilled hot dog is not the be all and end all of hot dog making; just ask every street corner hot dog vendor in New York City.
You like that peeing and puking ambiance, eh?
Gopher

Center City, MN

#21 Jul 1, 2010
The Gopher BAR is a bar first; it serves coneys also. I don't know of any bars that purport to be a family place. Having said that, I hear profanity in every bar I am ever in - even ones in the suburbs. If you don't like it, don't eat there. George has been screwed over by a a lot of cheap fakes, which is why he takes no ****ing checks either. But he is a supporter of local businesses and causes.

As far as I go, I prefer their coneys - the sauce is the key, as the meat is pretty cheap - I won't argue that. But the combined flavor of the bun, meat, sauce, onions and cheese is bar none.

The survey results also contradict the PP food critic by a pretty wide margin - I go with the people's choice.
Brian

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Jul 1, 2010
I'd take Uncle Franky's over either of these any day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Alex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Americans who live near border say Trumpa s wal... (Nov '16) Nov '16 patriot 4
News Young zebra mussel found in Red River (Jul '10) Aug '14 Aureavallis 10
News Cameron County prepares for major storms (Jun '11) Jun '11 lawife 1
News Mexico hit with a 6.2 earthquake and braces for... (Jun '10) Dec '10 LA2YA 10
News 2010 hurricanes steered clear of U.S. landfalls (Dec '10) Dec '10 Mr_Bill 12
News Elderly Couple Dies in Flood Waters Near Mathis (Aug '10) Sep '10 SomeYaoiFan 2
News Perry blasts feds for Rio Grande levee maintenance (Sep '10) Sep '10 curious 2
More from around the web