Drug war fears cast pall across Mexican elections

Full story: El Paso Times 20
A common theme haunts Sunday's state and local elections across Mexico: drugs. One gubernatorial candidate has been photographed with a powerful kingpin. Full Story
LEAP

El Paso, TX

#1 Jul 3, 2010
These videos explain why we should LEGALIZE all drugs. I implore you to inform and educate yourselves. See why Prohibition causes violence, corruption, dangerous drugs and increased drug abuse rates. Thank you and God Bless the USA.

We are only expressing our ideas and hope that with an open mind you can form your own opinions based on the facts. Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

LAW ENFORCEMENT AGAINST PROHIBITION
Bobby Bag O Donuts IV

El Paso, TX

#2 Jul 3, 2010
Voting in Mexico is a joke. There is no democracy or law, it is rule by the powerful.

Mexico is not just a failed country, it is a failed and corrupt society.
does not matter

United States

#3 Jul 3, 2010
The election results means nothing, the will of the people means nothing NOT till they get rid of their chains!
Laura

El Paso, TX

#4 Jul 3, 2010
Legalizing drugs is a ridiculous and irresponsible idea. I'm sick of people trying to push this issue.
Jim

Anthony, NM

#5 Jul 3, 2010
OK folks, it's time to just legalize all drugs. Let the current government that is always looking for new ways to grow, manage the new drug business to be legalized in the US and mayhaps the rest of the world. In my humble opinion, alcohol is just another drug. So let the ATF manage the new laws. The taxes from the sale of drugs should mostly go to drug education and rehabilitation centers. We can release persons arrested in the past for possession as long as they were not arrested for burglary, murder, and etc..
Jim

Anthony, NM

#6 Jul 3, 2010
Laura wrote:
Legalizing drugs is a ridiculous and irresponsible idea. I'm sick of people trying to push this issue.
Dear Laura,
I have always agreed with your view. However, living in EL Paso has changed my opinion. Bullets fired in Juarez are impacting homes, businesses and even City Hall here in EP. I have to believe if we legalized drugs we would destroy the Cartels. Read my comment below. Jim
grumpy

Burke, SD

#7 Jul 3, 2010
leglaize the death penalty in all drug dealer cases--and use it with no appeal process---
rrs

Wasilla, AK

#8 Jul 3, 2010
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Laura,
I have always agreed with your view. However, living in EL Paso has changed my opinion. Bullets fired in Juarez are impacting homes, businesses and even City Hall here in EP. I have to believe if we legalized drugs we would destroy the Cartels. Read my comment below. Jim
Are you talking about legalizing marijuana only or are you including herion, coke, hallucinates, etc? Hang in there and the cartels will destroy themselves. In my opinion the only solution we have now is to protect the children from exposure to drugs and its' unhealthy outcomes.
john

Lubbock, TX

#9 Jul 3, 2010
we just need to send US. MILITARY TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS!!!1
tax man

Guthrie, OK

#10 Jul 3, 2010
If people would STOP using drugs, there will not be a market. I do not see people trying to sell 8-tracks anymore. End the demand-end the supply. Real punishment for people smoking pot, lke loss of driving privileges. Harder penalities for harder drugs. Needles get you death.
lee james

Jacksonville, IL

#11 Jul 3, 2010
Humans have used drugs since they lived in trees. It's not likely they will quit anytime soon
us is going in

Laurel, MD

#12 Jul 3, 2010
In the coming years, the US will have to move into nothern Mexico. The situation has become intolerable and the US will not sit by and allow a narco state where beheadings, torture and terror is a way of life only a few yards away. If the elections are lost and if Calderon's successor decides the war against the narcos isn't worth the fight, what will be unleashed across Mexico by the resurgent cartels will make Hitler look tame. Mexico is just about finished. We can either fortify the border adn hunker down here, or go on the offensive and at least establish a buffer zone a few miles deep into Mexico.
should we legalize

El Paso, TX

#13 Jul 3, 2010
LEAP wrote:
These videos explain why we should LEGALIZE all drugs. I implore you to inform and educate yourselves. See why Prohibition causes violence, corruption, dangerous drugs and increased drug abuse rates. Thank you and God Bless the USA.
We are only expressing our ideas and hope that with an open mind you can form your own opinions based on the facts. Thank you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jB38AhIKFvgXX
LAW ENFORCEMENT AGAINST PROHIBITION
PEOPLE WATCH THESE VIDEOS,, i didnt think that crap made any sense but I'm thinking legalizing would solve all these problems we got,,, hmmmmm interesting stuff
Curious George

United States

#14 Jul 4, 2010
The legalization of drugs is not a reasonable action. Marijuana may be the only reasonable drug to legalize but not the others. The United States has too many drug addicts and the legalization of drugs would only do our country worse if you really think about it. It's not logical at all. On the other hand, I don't see how the cartels can just destroy themselves, they are running the show and as long as no one stops them it will stay that way. Mexico's government is corrupt whether Mexico wants to admit it or not.
It Is Not Free

United States

#15 Jul 4, 2010
The voter turnout is the measure used to judge the guts of mexicans.

Do you have what it takes to defend your:
nation,
heritage,
families,
way or life
OR NOT?

Today is your most important day,

fight or retreat.
rob

El Paso, TX

#16 Jul 4, 2010
giving millions to mexico to fight drus is just as stupid as giving taliban sting missles to fight the russians.
rob

El Paso, TX

#17 Jul 4, 2010
LEAP is good, but legalizing drugs will cause more murders in juarez as cartel members look for alternative ways to make money.
LEAP

El Paso, TX

#18 Jul 4, 2010
People we understand your concerns with legalizing drugs. Please understand that we acknowledge that drugs ARE DANGEROUS. Thats why we believe that they should be legalized, not to make them more accesible but to regulate and control them.

If you really think about it,drugs are more accesible and dangerous now because drug dealers operate crack houses at all hours, they do not ask kids for identification like we do alcohol and cigarette sales. Most drug dealers start off by receiving drugs on consignment, then must sell all the drugs and pay the dealer back or suffer consequences. Knowing this they MUST approach as many people and kids they can in order to sell off the drugs and pay his dealers. Ask yourselves. Do you ever see kids in back alley offering alcohol to other kids? Not likely. Because alcohol is legal and is not profitable.

Because drug are illegal, only the criminals will sell them and the 80 to 90 perecnt profit margins they make will force them to protect their business by means of violence.

PEOPLE IF YOU HAVE ABY CONCERNS LEGALIZING DRUGS, ASK QUESTIONS AND WE WILL GLADLY ANSWER THEM AND EVEN COUNTER YOUR CONCERNS WITH REASONS WHY WE SHOULD LEGALIZE. PLEASE ASK AWAY.

LEAP
LEAP

El Paso, TX

#19 Jul 4, 2010
Before the war on drugs was declared in 1970, did seven powerful drug cartels exist? No.

Drug overdose rates have risen since 1970. Why? Because prohibiting drugs allows drug dealers to control drugs. Drug dealers are unqualified, unlicensed, and only care about money at the expense of the user.

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/...

Crack and Meth exists because of prohibition. WHY? Because criminals were given the oppurtunity to control the drugs under prohibition, so they looked for ways to expand their profits. They began adding cutting agents to drugs to expand their product and make more money. But they also needed a way to keep its potency, so they began adding battery acid, rat poison, aspirine etc.

This is similair to prohibition of alcohol. No regulation put the bootleggers in charge and they began making bath tub gin. In order to make more money thay diluted their alcohol by adding turpentine and ethanol. Statistics show that thousands were poisoned, went blind, and even killed because of bad gin. THIS IS THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENING TODAY.

We need to legalize in order to destroy cartels profits and keep drug overdose rates down. Without the profits, they can't corrupt, kill, buy guns etc.
voter turnout

United States

#20 Jul 4, 2010
It Is Not Free wrote:
The voter turnout is the measure used to judge the guts of mexicans.
Do you have what it takes to defend your:
nation,
heritage,
families,
way or life
OR NOT?
Today is your most important day,
fight or retreat.
sheep or wolves?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Alex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Young zebra mussel found in Red River (Jul '10) Aug '14 Aureavallis 10
Cameron County prepares for major storms (Jun '11) Jun '11 lawife 1
A team of tasters relished the job of determini... (Jul '10) Dec '10 unclepud 82
Mexico hit with a 6.2 earthquake and braces for... (Jun '10) Dec '10 LA2YA 10
2010 hurricanes steered clear of U.S. landfalls (Dec '10) Dec '10 Mr_Bill 12
Elderly Couple Dies in Flood Waters Near Mathis (Aug '10) Sep '10 SomeYaoiFan 2
Perry blasts feds for Rio Grande levee maintenance (Sep '10) Sep '10 curious 2

Hurricane Alex People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE