Did mining and oil drilling trigger the Haiti earthquake?

Feb 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: IntelliBriefs

A writer, performance poet and lawyer, Ezili Danto is founder of the Haitian Lawyers Leadership Network, runs the Ezili Danto website, listserve, eyewitness project, FreeHaitiMovement and the on-line journal, Haitian Perspectives.

Comments
21 - 35 of 35 Comments Last updated Jun 4, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
420gryl

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 15, 2010
 
OMG - I read this, you poor people. You really are this pathetic...It is 'plate tectonics', nothing more.
Peace and love

Elmhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Mar 15, 2010
 
Trust me I'm Haitian, if there was anyone drilling a hole in any wall in Port-au-Prince every one would know. Then to assume that there was drilling for oil in the gulf of Port-au-Prince that no Haitian knew about? Trust me, Haitians would have had a carnaval lasting a whole year to celebrate just for the drilling alone; let alone finding oil, God only knows what kind of partying we would've had.
A friend told me the other day that the earthquake caused the oil to come up through out the gulf of Port-au-Prince, even my own house in the mountain was sitting on oil; I told him I'll keep on praying for that to happen.
Sue

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Mar 15, 2010
 

Judged:

1

420gryl wrote:
I'm not even going to read this thread.
Did Mining and Drilling cause the Hati Quake in 1770's!?
NO
Look you dumbies, take your knowlege of earth sciences from elementary school and get real here.
THE LACK OF EDUCATION IN SCIENCE PROVES HOW REALLY STUPID AMERICANS ARE - 9/11 WAS NOT A CONSPIRACY EITHER. THERE'S NO SANTA CLAUS AND NO GLOBAL WARMING.
Did a science teacher teach you science in elementary school? Since I have not idea where you are from, I cannot possibly know what kind of education you have had. I do know that you misspelled three words in your little rant. What is your science background? I would love to hear your theories about why you believe global warming is not real? Also, before you go bashing scientists for "a lack of education in science" you should learn how to spell first. Also, having a screen name such as "420grly" gives you no credibility at all. It does tell me that you are most likely a pothead though.
TEC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Mar 16, 2010
 
UHM...How thick is the Earth's crust and what's under it, molten rock. If you take the entire size of the planet, and then look at it's construct, then it becomes obvious. The Earth is like a very soft boiled egg whose shell has been removed, but is still extremely hot. What happens to that egg in your hand if you over handle it? Yes it breaks, it's exterior becomes cracked, it gets damaged, the insides come out. Then you get to eat it too quick and it burns you. If the Earth is moving through space and forces are acting on it, even from very long distances, I would say our little outer shell will be effected. Trying to predict it? Forget it.
Stan

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Mar 16, 2010
 
A very interesting theory, but the earth's dynamic systems make it very difficult to predict earthquakes with any real accuracy. We do know where they are likely to occur, i.e. subduction zones, divergence, and convergence zones. But as far as drilling causing earthquakes, I would have to think that would be highly unlikely, though perhaps not impossible. There are tens of thousands of boreholes all across America, and probably millions over the entire world.

In my opinion I would think that the earthquake was just due to where the country lies in relation to its tectonic plates. I think trying to pin earthquakes as a "man-caused" disaster is pretty silly, sounds as if it is just another "enviro-whacko" trying to put more blame on the quest for fossil fuels. Now that the "climate change" theory has been losing a lot of steam, perhaps enviros are trying to find the next "big lie" to push on America.
Stan

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Mar 16, 2010
 
I do wish the article would have dealt with facts instead of a bunch of political attacks. I find it disgusting that this article try to blame the earthquake on the Bush administration. And I suppose that he is the cause to of the people in Haiti for starving for the last two hundred years. If Haiti's natural resources are as abundant as they claim, then why are these folks still starving and why don't they have jobs.

I just think its funny how they always try to blame the "white man" for all their problems, but when devistation occurs, we are the first ones they run to expecting us to come and rescue them.

This is the same garbage that the likes of Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrkan have been spewing for decades. When will these people ever take personal responsibility for their actions and when will they stop expecting a handout. Name me one "black" nation that is not in poverty?

“SEMPER FI”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Mar 16, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Al Gore says the earthquake was brought on by global warming, and he needs more funding to help prevent the next one.

Hillary Clinton said the earthquake took a village, but may have had help from Israel!

Democrats say the earthquake was Bush's fault....no pun intended!

Liberals are still waiting for the news report from Air America that it even happened.

Obama is still campaining for the Presidency and not available for comment.

Michell Obama is running for "Mambo Asogwe" on the internet.

Joe Biden is still taunting the Israelies.

Rahm Emanual is selling Haitian children on Ebay to middle eastern men.
Sue

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Mar 16, 2010
 
Stan wrote:
A very interesting theory, but the earth's dynamic systems make it very difficult to predict earthquakes with any real accuracy. We do know where they are likely to occur, i.e. subduction zones, divergence, and convergence zones. But as far as drilling causing earthquakes, I would have to think that would be highly unlikely, though perhaps not impossible. There are tens of thousands of boreholes all across America, and probably millions over the entire world.
In my opinion I would think that the earthquake was just due to where the country lies in relation to its tectonic plates. I think trying to pin earthquakes as a "man-caused" disaster is pretty silly, sounds as if it is just another "enviro-whacko" trying to put more blame on the quest for fossil fuels. Now that the "climate change" theory has been losing a lot of steam, perhaps enviros are trying to find the next "big lie" to push on America.
"There are tens of thousands of boreholes all across America, and probably millions over the entire world". So true, but what would happen if some of these boreholes and oil fields were not built to industry standards? For example, if oil is being pumped out of a field faster than it can be maintained at the proper pressure, could that cause isostatic rebound or subsidence over time?
Stan

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Mar 17, 2010
 
Sure, I mean it sounds logical that perhaps in a few isolated cases that drilling could possibly cause an earthquake, but you know as well as I do that there are also many other factors at play, tectonic plate positioning the most important of these. It just offends me when people try and blame a natural event on a particular person or group of people. I mean we drill and mine all over the world, so why should Haiti be treated any different. The rich has always exploited the poor as well, that goes on everyday regardless of race. These things are nothing new. I'm not saying that they are not right. I don't think any human being wants to see another one starving to death, I sure don't. These people in Haiti need a hand up, not a hand out. Handouts do nothing more than make them more dependent and needy, we see that right here in America. We have more poverty today than what we had 50 years ago. Many of these programs that we have to help the poor has only managed to entrap them. You can either realize this and try to make a change or you can continue the great lie that its the "white mans fault" for every evil thing that happens in the world. Personally I'm getting tired of being blamed for everyone else's lack of success in this world.
Sue

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Mar 17, 2010
 
Stan wrote:
Sure, I mean it sounds logical that perhaps in a few isolated cases that drilling could possibly cause an earthquake, but you know as well as I do that there are also many other factors at play, tectonic plate positioning the most important of these. It just offends me when people try and blame a natural event on a particular person or group of people. I mean we drill and mine all over the world, so why should Haiti be treated any different. The rich has always exploited the poor as well, that goes on everyday regardless of race. These things are nothing new. I'm not saying that they are not right. I don't think any human being wants to see another one starving to death, I sure don't. These people in Haiti need a hand up, not a hand out. Handouts do nothing more than make them more dependent and needy, we see that right here in America. We have more poverty today than what we had 50 years ago. Many of these programs that we have to help the poor has only managed to entrap them. You can either realize this and try to make a change or you can continue the great lie that its the "white mans fault" for every evil thing that happens in the world. Personally I'm getting tired of being blamed for everyone else's lack of success in this world.
I love plate tectonics!!!
Cappie

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Apr 23, 2010
 
I have a few questions for you Sue.
1)Are you basing your theory to go with facts or just what sounds good?(I'm not trying to be an ass just can't think of a better way of putting it).

2)What are the facts that you are looking at for your theory?

3)Is that all of the facts about quakes?

This one is something my prof. brought up when we had this discussion in class.

4) What if the drilling is helping prevent quakes by releasing some of the build up tension?

Thanks for taking the time to read those,
Cappie
420gryl

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Apr 23, 2010
 
Ah - NO.
That's like saying that gophers digging caused the New Madrid Quake in 1812.
OOOppppsss, none of you know what I'm talking about.
The 1771 quake was not 'triggered' by the same said 'oil' drilling. And where is the drilling? It's a couple of hundred miles to the west.
However, there is a much studied 'venting plume' in the Carribean. Which could mean a new island someday.
4-my-gryl

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Apr 23, 2010
 
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Did a science teacher teach you science in elementary school? Since I have not idea where you are from, I cannot possibly know what kind of education you have had. I do know that you misspelled three words in your little rant. What is your science background? I would love to hear your theories about why you believe global warming is not real? Also, before you go bashing scientists for "a lack of education in science" you should learn how to spell first. Also, having a screen name such as "420grly" gives you no credibility at all. It does tell me that you are most likely a pothead though.
~ My daughter used this name in the late 1990's. She died sadly, in a train accident Sept of 2007. I know it has to do with 'pot'. However, I'm a 58 year old grandmother who decries the use of this or any illegal drug. I kept the name because I think of her often. No one in the last 4 years has made mention of it - until now. Your nasty personal remark has made me change the lable.
~ I often transpose letters when typing. My right ring and little fingers were paralized in an accident with a glass door at age 12.
~ My 'rant' Sue, shows my personal frustration with those who believe that there is the remote possibility that Humans cause 'Golbal Warming'.
~ I frankly believe that there is a Giant Race of Gophers that cause Worldwide Earthquakes.- Prove me wrong!
GSBNY

Long Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Apr 24, 2010
 
Sue's argument is pathetic. Anthropogenic - LOL!! Some people see savages (who usually can't help themselves anyway) in distress & feel the need to blame someone. This seems like self loathing to me.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jun 4, 2010
 
There aren't any conspiracy theorists or enviro "wackos" here, only scientists discussing science, and a bunch of anti-science morons who don't even know how to write properly, let alone think properly. These people don't have a clue, yet they think they know more about geology than professional geologists. This is part of a mass anti-intellectualism that is causing America to fall behind the other developed countries of the world, and allowing China to get the upper hand on technologies of the future.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sud-Est, Haiti Discussions

Search the Sud-Est, Haiti Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Biography of Jean Odileau Deronette (Jan '14) Jan '14 myrielle 1
Climate risk to rise in 'key cities' (Oct '13) Oct '13 SpaceBlues 3
Canada's fleet of Sea King helicopters grounded... (Jul '13) Jul '13 paul SHYKORA arts 3
Isaac lashes Haiti; Fla. under hurricane warning (Aug '12) Aug '12 know the truth 1
Bill Clinton hopeful for Haiti's future (Jun '12) Jun '12 Espy 7
Haitian adoptees arrive home (Apr '12) Apr '12 TherseCadet 1
Tufts Graduate Launches Haiti's First LGBT Righ... (Mar '12) Mar '12 snyper 2
•••
•••