As aid pours in, Haiti struggles to distribute it

There are 15 comments on the Jan 16, 2010, TwinCities.com story titled As aid pours in, Haiti struggles to distribute it. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

As the focus Saturday began turning away from Haitians lost to those who were spared, a sprawling assembly of international officials and aid workers struggled to fix a troubled relief effort after Tuesday's devastating earthquake.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#45 Jan 17, 2010
fruit bat alert wrote:
<quoted text>You are being rude, now way for you to spin it any other way. YOU are exactly like those you look down on.
You are rude and your tone is condescending. Child.
I notice that you say nothing about the right wing posters who have called me and other liberals poorly masked obscenities.

Apparently you find that quite acceptable.

Hypocrite.
fruit bat alert

Minneapolis, MN

#46 Jan 17, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice that you say nothing about the right wing posters who have called me and other liberals poorly masked obscenities.
Apparently you find that quite acceptable.
Hypocrite.
Nope. I think they are rude too.

Funny thing is lately I have agreed with a FEW of your posts. But now you are being rude and shrill.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#47 Jan 17, 2010
fruit bat alert wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. I think they are rude too.
Funny thing is lately I have agreed with a FEW of your posts. But now you are being rude and shrill.
I will accept the condescension criticism. I am only human and when you get response after response of vulgar insults sometimes you let it get to you.

I will try to curb the condescension except with the most egregious vulgar posters. I have to have an outlet in venting against them so I am able to refrain from descending into the gutter where they are.
Lost Jobs hahahahaha

Hastings, MN

#48 Jan 17, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
Um...many of the livelihoods of the seven states depends on shipping goods and materials via the Great Lakes. Eliminate shipping and you will be eliminating tons of jobs, sunshine.
So just what would you suggest they do to offset THAT oh great one?
It is curious to me how we can stop progress and development to save a bird or a butterfly or some other "endangered" animal species. We can also stop a much needed bridge from being built because environmentalists are protesting it. These actions all cost jobs too but they are accepted because they align with the progressive movement. The asian carp threatens to destroy the ecosystem of our rivers and great lakes and NOW you are worried about jobs lost?? Loony liberals never make any sense to me...

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#49 Jan 17, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize. Maybe I'm just being affected by all the insulting, and vulgarly expressed posts by right wing extremists.
However I am confused about the ignorant part. Do you not think that George Bush advocating sending aid to Haiti will be disconcerting to those right wingers who have harshly condemned sending aid to Haiti?
I say that your ignorant because the only "rightwingers" that I see opposing aid to Haiti are the idiots here on topix, yet you lump us all together.
I think, and I think most people, right or left are happy that Bush and Clinton are organizing aid. I hope that it helps.
And BTW, most conservatives dont think Bush was all that great, he is just looking good by comparison.
Dagger

Minneapolis, MN

#50 Jan 17, 2010
Nature's version of population control. Outstanding.
Goldy1

Minneapolis, MN

#51 Jan 17, 2010
The main problem with the relief effort is the fact that the UN is deferring the distribution and relief control decisions to a Haitian government that for all intents and purposes is nonexistent. This governing body long ago shed its image as an impotent political tool in favor of all the meaningless attributes of a eunuch. What a friggin' joke.
Birds flying

United States

#52 Jan 17, 2010
You said, "The people of Florida went for a month and a half with out electricity, fuel, sewer systems, water or air conditioning for a month in 2004 after the hurricanes."
The people of Florida were able to go to the store to buy drinking water. These are people who are dying of thirst. Their situation is much worse. It is inconceivably much worse.
Natural disasters happen all over the world frequently and only Africans can not take care of themselves. Only Africans behave like this.
The rest of your quote was ridiculously racist. I thought of something that may make you see things in a more decent way. Close your eyes, and imagine that more than 100,000 white people have died in a natural disaster. Thousands of European bodies line the streets. Thousands more are dying of thirst.
If this were true, maybe you would feel more horror.
John W Davis

Pittsburgh, PA

#53 Jan 17, 2010
BET (Black Education TV) is NOT having a telethon for Haiti. Rich black Americans don't care about poor black Haitians.
John W Davis

Pittsburgh, PA

#54 Jan 17, 2010
correction: Black Entertainment TV and they're racist black billionaires.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#55 Jan 17, 2010
wbigs wrote:
<quoted text>
I say that your ignorant because the only "rightwingers" that I see opposing aid to Haiti are the idiots here on topix, yet you lump us all together.
I think, and I think most people, right or left are happy that Bush and Clinton are organizing aid. I hope that it helps.
And BTW, most conservatives dont think Bush was all that great, he is just looking good by comparison.
*sigh* Again I can only ask. What term am I to use to refer to those people who are vehemently opposed to sending aid to Haiti during the present crisis? They ARE right wing extremists. I called them right wingers as a shortcut. Or do you really think some of them are moderates or liberals?

How about expressing some outrage towards THEM?
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#56 Jan 17, 2010
John W Davis wrote:
BET (Black Education TV) is NOT having a telethon for Haiti. Rich black Americans don't care about poor black Haitians.
Have you asked them why or asked them if they are planning to do a telethon?
Mind your own business

Hastings, MN

#57 Jan 18, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
*sigh* Again I can only ask. What term am I to use to refer to those people who are vehemently opposed to sending aid to Haiti during the present crisis? They ARE right wing extremists. I called them right wingers as a shortcut. Or do you really think some of them are moderates or liberals?
How about expressing some outrage towards THEM?
Or perhaps you can mind your own business and worry about yourself and stop trying to label and categorize everyone else.
Telmark

Chico, CA

#58 Jan 18, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>Here is their hero being a humanitarian and doing what they claim that only clueless liberals do.
The problem with some of the "clueless" liberals, as you call them, is that they are "humanitarian" with other people's money.

Another problem some of us have is the fact that we have a number of disaster victims here in the U.S. that have received little or no aid despite the massive donations we Americans provided towards various relief efforts (largely due to the mismanagement and outright embezzlement that all too often occurs within the "relief" agencies). We also have large and ever growing numbers of U.S. families that are losing their houses right here in America (due to the pump and dump housing scam that certain politicians, of both parties, pulled on the people of this Country).

Meanwhile, you conveniently seem to forget that Bush senior and Bill Clinton asked the American people, in 2005, to donate their time and money to the Katrina disaster while they were sitting in cart on some fancy golf course. However, my wife and I still found the need to donate $1K to the Katrina victims. We, at the same time, also donated another $750 to the victims of a local disaster. These donations, in total, amounted to nearly our entire budget for the month. This fact, in part, proves your assumptions to be false.

BTW, how much time and money did you donate to Katrina Sarah?
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>Have you asked them why or asked them if they are planning to do a telethon?
Have you?
bend over

United States

#59 Jan 18, 2010
I will ask this post again: WHERE IN THE HECK IS KANYE WEST IN ALL OF THIS??????????

Kanye, you must hate black people too.......just like you said Bush does. You are a bufoon, a racist, and an idiot. I hope you rot one day soon..........

WHERE IS KANYE????? Why aren't the haitians asking for KANYE??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cap-Haitien, Haiti Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Haitian American Architect Rodney Leon Slavery ... Apr 6 community news 1
Haiti - Boxing : Fighting between Stevenson and... Apr 6 community news 1
Latest Haiti news Apr 6 community news 1
Heaviest mango in the world 3.435 kg (7.57 lb)/... Apr 6 community news 1
Je recherche ma famille Mar '15 Sonie 1
Haitians and Haiti Jan '15 fista 1
News Haiti's Political Crisis Is About to Get Worse Dec '14 BelFem2 2
More from around the web