As aid pours in, Haiti struggles to d...

As aid pours in, Haiti struggles to distribute it

There are 55 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 16, 2010, titled As aid pours in, Haiti struggles to distribute it. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

As the focus Saturday began turning away from Haitians lost to those who were spared, a sprawling assembly of international officials and aid workers struggled to fix a troubled relief effort after Tuesday's devastating earthquake.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Richard Cranium

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#2 Jan 17, 2010
Since Hilary is over there, can we get another quake going?
ForReal

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 17, 2010
Hopefully Haiti and the international relief effort can get things organized quickly.
Old White Guy

Tucson, AZ

#4 Jan 17, 2010
You have a great nom de plume.
Smelly Clark

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jan 17, 2010
Doesn't this remind anyone of New Orleans and Katrina? Wasn't Bush bashed for not responding fast enough? Why is our esteemed president not on the ground coordinating the distribution of food in his authoritative way? Oh, Obama the great one, why do you hesitate? Show us the way! Lead us oh great one!

Oh well, let nature take it's course. Ethnic cleansing brought to you by Mother Nature.

Asian carp are about to decimate the great lakes, wiping out billions of dollars in the fishing industry. Why is nothing being done you ask? Because the union thugs in Chicago that control the shipping industry in and out of Chicago's port don't want the locks closed. Closing the locks would protect the great lakes from the Asian carp, but the unions in Chicago don't care and Obama is siding with them at the expense of everyone in seven states that depend on the great lakes for their livelihood.
ForReal

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jan 17, 2010
Smelly Clark wrote:
Doesn't this remind anyone of New Orleans and Katrina? Wasn't Bush bashed for not responding fast enough? Why is our esteemed president not on the ground coordinating the distribution of food in his authoritative way? Oh, Obama the great one, why do you hesitate? Show us the way! Lead us oh great one!
Oh well, let nature take it's course. Ethnic cleansing brought to you by Mother Nature.
Asian carp are about to decimate the great lakes, wiping out billions of dollars in the fishing industry. Why is nothing being done you ask? Because the union thugs in Chicago that control the shipping industry in and out of Chicago's port don't want the locks closed. Closing the locks would protect the great lakes from the Asian carp, but the unions in Chicago don't care and Obama is siding with them at the expense of everyone in seven states that depend on the great lakes for their livelihood.
You've got some issues.

Louisiana is one of the fifty states that we call the United States of America. Both Bush and Obama have held the title known as President of the United States. Haiti is not one of the fifty states. In fact it's a sovereign nation. You might want to untangle that.

You support ethnic cleansing. This makes you a bad person.

Carp? Now you're on Carp? There are threads for that but this one is about human life.

“Gods Warrior”

Since: Jan 10

Brawley, CA

#7 Jan 17, 2010
Smelly Clark wrote:
Doesn't this remind anyone of New Orleans and Katrina? Wasn't Bush bashed for not responding fast enough? Why is our esteemed president not on the ground coordinating the distribution of food in his authoritative way? Oh, Obama the great one, why do you hesitate? Show us the way!
We are there to retrieve American citizens and some public relations. This 100 million buys some very good press. No need for Obama to oversee a rescue operation in a hostile zone.
Smelly Clark wrote:
It is just the African way, breed until the food is gone and drop like flies due to natural, predictable conditions.
Smelly Clark wrote:
Perhaps the Asian carp grow much faster and will be useful in feeding the hoards of African and Mexican refugees that are streaming into the country?
ole

Hudson, WI

#8 Jan 17, 2010
NO SH IIIIIIIIIIIIT.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jan 17, 2010
Smelly Clark wrote:
Um...many of the livelihoods of the seven states depends on shipping goods and materials via the Great Lakes. Eliminate shipping and you will be eliminating tons of jobs, sunshine.

So just what would you suggest they do to offset THAT oh great one?
whatever

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jan 17, 2010
They have always had trouble distributing their “aid” Not one dime from me, except for Pebo stealing it from me.
here we go

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 17, 2010
It's easy to sit in our nice, comfortable homes behind our computers and blame the Haitians for acting like ungreatful animals to those who are trying to deliver aid. But I'm also trying to imagine what it would like to have no food or water in 90 degree heat for four days while thousands of my fellow citizens are dead or dying around me. I might be likely to throw a temper tantrum over a jug of clean water to give to my kids.

We're lucky we live in America where a natural or unnatural disaster wouldn't render us quite so helpless and desperate. But I'm not so naive to think it could NEVER happen here. If it did, I would like to think countries around the world would be willing to step in and lend a hand.
whatever

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jan 17, 2010
here we go wrote:
It's easy to sit in our nice, comfortable homes behind our computers and blame the Haitians for acting like ungreatful animals to those who are trying to deliver aid. But I'm also trying to imagine what it would like to have no food or water in 90 degree heat for four days while thousands of my fellow citizens are dead or dying around me. I might be likely to throw a temper tantrum over a jug of clean water to give to my kids.
We're lucky we live in America where a natural or unnatural disaster wouldn't render us quite so helpless and desperate. But I'm not so naive to think it could NEVER happen here. If it did, I would like to think countries around the world would be willing to step in and lend a hand.
Haiti needs more then just aid right now. This is prime time to get rid of their corrupt government, and the US has the power to hold that government hostage for that aid. I love how Obama says the illegal Haitians in the US can stay now. Like he was ever going to send them back.
here we go

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jan 17, 2010
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Haiti needs more then just aid right now. This is prime time to get rid of their corrupt government, and the US has the power to hold that government hostage for that aid. I love how Obama says the illegal Haitians in the US can stay now. Like he was ever going to send them back.
I said something very similar on another thread. It would be nice to think when all is said and done in Haiti, the citizens step up and rebuild a govenment that isn't so corrupt. THAT would take US invervention however, I think, and I wonder if it's just a pie in the sky thought.

I'd not heard about the illegal Haitians. Typical, and isn't it oh so nice of him?
doomster

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jan 17, 2010
The corrupt politicians are having a hard time finding places to put all of the stolen aid money we are sending. Their bank accounts are already full. The aid organizations are appealing so much now that they have a good background that looks sad so they can remodel all their offices. After working in this profession for six years at one time, don't think it's not happening.
Insider

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jan 17, 2010
Yes, by all means give them lots of money so they can **** it away just like they have in the past.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jan 17, 2010
AmericanBoer wrote:
<quoted text>
The people of Florida went for a month and a half with out electricity, fuel, sewer systems, water or air conditioning for a month in 2004 after the hurricanes. Did you see looting, aid workers being attacked or any of this?
Natural disasters happen all over the world frequently and only Africans can not take care of themselves. Only Africans behave like this.
The Jewish people endured 10x the horrors Africans have seen and they acted like human beings when help arrived.
This is just so typically African. Take a look at Zimbabwe or any other African nation to see the exact same thing with no earthquake.
If the people in Florida went a month without water wouldn't they have died?

Yes the Jews went through ten times the horror so much so that they barely had energy enough to move when help finally came much less fight for the food and water. However even still there were Jews who betrayed their people by agreeing to spy on others for the Nazis in exchange for better treatment such as more food and medicines.

Don't be too sure that you wouldn't turn into an animal if you were starving and deprived of water. None of us really know how we would react unless and until we find ourselves in such a situation.

It's very easy to say you would never do such a thing when you're well fed.
here we go

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jan 17, 2010
AmericanBoer wrote:
<quoted text>
The people of Florida went for a month and a half with out electricity, fuel, sewer systems, water or air conditioning for a month in 2004 after the hurricanes. Did you see looting, aid workers being attacked or any of this?
Natural disasters happen all over the world frequently and only Africans can not take care of themselves. Only Africans behave like this.
The Jewish people endured 10x the horrors Africans have seen and they acted like human beings when help arrived.
This is just so typically African. Take a look at Zimbabwe or any other African nation to see the exact same thing with no earthquake.
So, aside from showing you're incrediblly racist, what is your solution? Don't provide aid so they all die out? Fine, if that's your opinion. But I think the survival instinct in human beings can over come a lot and will most likely survive, much to your distaste, I'm sure.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#21 Jan 17, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the Jews went through ten times the horror so much so that they barely had energy enough to move when help finally came much less fight for the food and water. However even still there were Jews who betrayed their people by agreeing to spy on others for the Nazis in exchange for better treatment such as more food and medicines.
Don't be too sure that you wouldn't turn into an animal if you were starving and deprived of water. None of us really know how we would react unless and until we find ourselves in such a situation.
Well stated and thought out. Most people in this country have no idea what being hungry will make a person do.

“Gods Warrior”

Brawley, CA

#22 Jan 17, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I really need to write 'running water' as in city provided potable drinking water from the tap. Bottled water was distributed as they are doing in Haiti..there were no riots though and it took over a week to arrive.
Sarah D wrote:
You are reaching now. They also walked out of the concentration camps and joined the first world as civilized humans. You think if Jewish people inhabited Haiti since 1803 things would be like they are today???? hahaahahah
Sarah D wrote:
I have been in situations far worse than these Haitians. Like all real Americans I can survive in relative comfort under any circumstances due to my intelligence. I most certainly would not be worried about fathering eight children as quickly as possible using multiple women as is the African way.

You first world people need to really look at The African Continent if you are ever going to understand why black people are mostly a failure in the United States.

Since: May 08

Pompano Beach, FL

#23 Jan 17, 2010
Ah, nice to see the good Christians, American Patriots, and good neighbors on this thread displaying their wit, psychotic fears and bigotry and Limbaughcilian parrot squawks for all to see.

In the meantime, Presidents Clinton and Bush have the class to put aside prior enmity and work to bring aid and assistance to the Haitian community. It is unfortunate that it takes a disaster to get most (clearly not all) people more interested in working toward a constructive solution to a problem than feathering their own political nests.

“Gods Warrior”

Brawley, CA

#24 Jan 17, 2010
here we go wrote:
<quoted text>
So, aside from showing you're incrediblly racist, what is your solution? Don't provide aid so they all die out? Fine, if that's your opinion. But I think the survival instinct in human beings can over come a lot and will most likely survive, much to your distaste, I'm sure.
They must be relocated to West Africa where they are indigenous. They can never support themselves on this island without a serious reduction in population, but being Africans they will reproduce until they die off naturally.

All of the western aid in the world can not fix this. It is futile to try. All that will happen is these people who eat 'mud cakes' will continue this boom bust cycle until they are forced to resort to cannibalism.

By RUKMINI CALLIMACHI
The Associated Press
Saturday, January 16, 2010; 5:52 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...

"The president is offering voluntary repatriation to any Haitian that wants to return to their origin," said Wade's spokesman Mamadou Bemba Ndiaye late Saturday following the president's announcement.

"Senegal is ready to offer them parcels of land - even an entire region. It all depends on how many Haitians come. If it's just a few individuals, then we will likely offer them housing or small pieces of land. If they come en masse we are ready to give them a region," he said."

Either withholding western aid or relocation are the only real options. Everything else is doomed to failure. Just LOOK at Zimbabwe or the rest of the African nations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cap-Haitien, Haiti Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Beyonce visits Haiti to see progress made since... May '15 Hoover Dam shaky ... 1
Haitian American Architect Rodney Leon Slavery ... Apr '15 community news 1
Haiti - Boxing : Fighting between Stevenson and... Apr '15 community news 1
Latest Haiti news Apr '15 community news 1
Heaviest mango in the world 3.435 kg (7.57 lb)/... Apr '15 community news 1
Je recherche ma famille Mar '15 Sonie 1
Haitians and Haiti Jan '15 fista 1
More from around the web