Marvin Windows
Renate

Douglassville, PA

#376 Oct 8, 2011
Installed in 1985- 6 Marvin tripple casement windows 3 of them are completely blind. Also installed 8 double hang 5 are blind. No wonder this country is going down the drain if we have Company's that produce such a bad product. Maybe we should try to get windows in the future from China, they would be a lot cheaper but we would not have high hopes for a good product either.
Is there any other Company then ' SWISCO 'that sells weather stripping for casement windows? They are too expensive. E-mail me at [email protected] if you know of any, please!
Fredg205

Harpursville, NY

#377 Oct 13, 2011
I built a large home in upstate NY in 97-98. Several windows were showing signs of leakage and discoloration within 10 yrs but I thought it was poor caulking. Marvin never mentioned the possible problem when I called them and they sent a rep out to replace one window and charged me a discounted price for it. 2 yrs later all the staining has come back on new replacement wood. I looked more closely at bottom (window seal area which was traditionally caulking). I found that it was not tight against the glass in fact loose. It would certainly allow water inside where the seal should be. the vertical strip actually pulls out some at the base so it definitely is not working as a seal. Another call to Marvin and they claim there is no warranty and they are not taking responsibiity. A check of my other windows shows deterioration of the "caulking seal" on windows exposed to weather. My windows underneath overhangs that are not exposed are very tightso the difference is stunning. I do not recommend Marvin. I never heard about any lawsuit or settlement and will pursue this until they make good and replace my windows. I think it speaks to ethics of company. Why would anyone buy new products from them?
3rd time

Pipestone, MN

#378 Oct 13, 2011
this is my 3rd round with marvin with the same problem and same windows started in 2000 now iam in a battle with them over the problem.
Mark - Merrimac WI wrote:
This weekend, same problem.
We built our dream house 12 years ago on lake Wisconsin, lots of windows facing south to the water. My wife is just sick when she found four of the
twenty some crank-outs rotted on the bottom frame that is hidden when closed. Of course warrenty is 10 yrs. We took pictures into our local
Marvin center, they are going to check to see if Marvin will step up to the plate.....I have a gut feeling all the window are bad. These are also the
aluminum clad model. I did see on another web site where they did have a class action suit back in o4 that rotted windows, you are able to 58% off replafcement cost. I bought $15,000. worth of windows, stained cherry, and installed ends up about $25,000.00. I can;t blieve it.
Lisa

New York, NY

#379 Oct 22, 2011
Our Marvin custom casement windows and doors are completely rotted. Horrible products, even worse is the customer service. Would never buy or recommend these to anyone. We got an estimate to replace 4 windows and 2 doors for $100,000. There was a class action suit against Marvin for these rot issues.

“Wall tiles”

Since: Oct 11

US

#380 Oct 29, 2011
Marvin Windows and Doors offers continual customization options for modern design suppleness with power resourceful windows,doors & sliding doors. this one useful for me. Nice presentation..........
neveronmonday

Grand Blanc, MI

#381 Oct 30, 2011

Wood window trouble is usually a sign of moisture that has gotton into, behind or underneath wood. Windows AND FRAMES must be maintained.

Got rid of a few wood windows over 20 years ago with aluminum windows and capping was placed over the decaying wooden sill(many people including contractors and old timers think aluminum=strong but with capping it's nothing but fancy paint, capping is NOT part of structure) The contractor never recommend or bothered replacing or priming/painting the rotting wood. For years the capping nails have had to be banged in several times a year because of the mushy wood underneath.

Point being no matter the window or coating if they were not installed right or maintained right even better windows will fail. Failing windows are frequently a sign of failing structure and/or frames allowing moisture in the frames and into the core of the window.

If Marvin put an unconditional warranty on their windows/work I'd sue the heck out of them. It sounds like there are defective windows here but it also sounds like structure and house moisture problems as well which they should've told the customer to address first.

Good Luck to all dealing with Marvin Window problems.
Wendy

United States

#382 Nov 7, 2011
Stephen wrote:
Hi. My name is Stephen and I am a Marvin Windows and Doors customer service supervisor for the Long Island, New York City, Westchester, New Jersey, Western Connecticut, and Northern Pennsylvania/Deleware territory. I would be happy to assist anyone who has concerns about their Marvin products. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will contact you directly.
Steve, if you are still with Marvin and covering Delaware I could use some help. I don't have rotting problems but my hardware is falling apart and the installer doesn't fix that. Apparently I need to deal with someone from Marvin who isn't getting in touch. If houngan help I'd appreciate it.
hanna

Baltimore, MD

#383 Nov 21, 2011
I had 13 windows and 2 doors replaced with Marvin products Sales rep promised a good install, and much more. Windows installed did not fit the original window size, insulation was little to nothing, window frames show stapled holes, some places where they filled the holes the color does not match the wood on the fame. One winsow installed was 1 1/2 inch leaning - it took marvin 3 years and it is still not fixed. My heating bills have gone up. Help ans support is very very poor. Door install is so bad - frame is bent and screen hangs from the top only. I am vry very disappointed - i wish i can get my money back.
Maryann

United States

#384 Jan 1, 2012
I just had 7 Marvin double hung aluminum clad wood windows LoE 272 installed a day ago. They look good and solid, but I'm very disappointed to find they all leak a lot of air at the bottom corners.

This results in a very uncomfortable dry cold air in the room, and I have a furnace humidifier that usually makes the house feel wonderful. Not now though. I used to feel comfortable with the heat at 70 with the vinyls; now I have to raise it to 73.

These expensive windows were supposed to be energy efficient? My old 20 year vinyl windows kept the heat in better than these. Very very disappointed after one day!
Diane

Essex Junction, VT

#385 Jan 19, 2012
I'm needing to replace the windows in my condo come spring and am resuming my research. I was considering Marvin Infinity or Integrity fiberglass windows. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on those? I was not considering a wood window and if I had been would certainly stay away from Marvin after reading the posts on this site. I live in the Northeast where the winters are cold so I want windows that will be tight, provide excellent insulation and hopefully many years of maintenance free and problem free operation. Don't we all! This is shaping up to be a very daunting task! No matter what brand window I look into, there are more negative than positive reviews and so far have not found a clear front runner. Very discouraging. Thank you.
Melissa

Greenlawn, NY

#386 Mar 14, 2012
I first reported my problem with my Marvin windows rotting back in 2007. My biggest problem is with the company itself. I reported hairline cracks in the exterior vinyl of my windows 3 years after installation. Marivn came onsite and warned us not to fill or paint the cracks or we would void the warranty. Year 11, we find "driftwood" when you tap on the window frames. Marvin sticks to their 10 year warranty, however they did offer us a 25% discount on the purchase price of new Marvins. So that means I am responsible for 75% and installation? Anderson is a company that stands by their products. I hear story after story of them sending replacement windows/parts free of charge. They replaced a window for my mother-20 years after it was installed she noticed a crack. Called to order a replacement-expecting to be charged-it was free!I would not recommend a Marvin product.Com panies have problems with certain products ar times, but if they act responsibly they can gain loyalty.
billfrompa

Bellefonte, PA

#387 Mar 17, 2012
Steve wrote:
Like Melissa, I replaced all the windows and doors in my house with Marvin 13 years ago. At the time they were selling their wood windows with some sort of a highly touted coating. I don't recall what they called the coating.
All my South facing windows are completely rotten with the casement operators falling apart. Their customer service in Oklahoma City is terrible!
I am considering legal action against Marvin and would like to hear from others who might feel similarly.
Again, like Melissa I would never consider another Marvin product.
We have the same problem. Ours are rotting on the west side. We put them in 16 years ago and had several replaced within a couple of years after building. We have been getting the runaround from them. Our problem windows are all on the west side of our house which is were we get the predominant wind. The seals are not good so it is extremely cold there and causes condensation where the cold air infiltrates. Please include us if anyone files any legal action we will need to replace most of our windows this summer... They were touted as the "best" at the time we build Amen on no more Marvin!!
billfrompa

Bellefonte, PA

#388 Mar 17, 2012
Diane wrote:
I'm needing to replace the windows in my condo come spring and am resuming my research. I was considering Marvin Infinity or Integrity fiberglass windows. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on those? I was not considering a wood window and if I had been would certainly stay away from Marvin after reading the posts on this site. I live in the Northeast where the winters are cold so I want windows that will be tight, provide excellent insulation and hopefully many years of maintenance free and problem free operation. Don't we all! This is shaping up to be a very daunting task! No matter what brand window I look into, there are more negative than positive reviews and so far have not found a clear front runner. Very discouraging. Thank you.
FORGET MARVIN. Ours are rotting in PA we are going to replace most of our this summer
Wooden Doors

Gurgaon, India

#389 Mar 21, 2012
I paid a lot of money to have 35 windows put in my home. Marvin windows.
KVC

Oakland, CA

#390 Mar 23, 2012
What is the best way to expose Marvin for their inferior windows? I have purchased over 10 windows in the last 2 years and 90% of them have failed due to water intrusion. It is the glazing that is failing in most cases. I want to expose them as this is a major issue.
mthompson

Minneapolis, MN

#391 Apr 23, 2012
My parents spent a great deal of their retirement savings on their lake place. They bought the 'best', only they didn't know about the fraud that Marvin is. All the alumnium clad lake facing windows are done. Any one know how to start a class action suit? These clearly are not designed well. https://picasaweb.google.com/1093188943801542...
mthompson

Minneapolis, MN

#392 Apr 23, 2012
Anyone know how to start a class action suit?
Glenn

Buffalo, MN

#393 May 6, 2012
Didyou get any response on this?
Wendy wrote:
<quoted text>
Steve, if you are still with Marvin and covering Delaware I could use some help. I don't have rotting problems but my hardware is falling apart and the installer doesn't fix that. Apparently I need to deal with someone from Marvin who isn't getting in touch. If houngan help I'd appreciate it.
hemlock hill

Hagerstown, MD

#394 May 9, 2012
I replaced all of the windows in my house (26) back in 2004. I had the Marvin rep out a month ago. They proposed to replace 19 windows. 3 of the non replaced windows are protected by a porch. I'm thrilled they are replacing them...but now I have to pay to have them installed again..

Has anyone had any success in getting labor costs covered?
Isolato

Friday Harbor, WA

#395 Jul 11, 2012
Like almost all of you I assumed Marvin clad windows were the best I could buy. All the south facing windows are rotting for the most obvious reason. The weatherstripping on the casements leaves a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap at the corners open to wind and water. Pennies worth of weatherstripping... So far I can sand and refinish the tilt opening windows but face a massive job removing and refinishing the permanently set units. Sad. Were they bought out by Bain Capital?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Improvement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 21 simple ways to earn passive income May 2 LEGITk 1
News Home Improvement (Jun '12) Apr 27 jane 50
How To Fix A Leaking Single Handle Bathtub Fauc... Apr 26 NewYorkView 1
News Will being more like Home Depot work for J.C. P... Mar '17 Dentec 2
Lower Level Family Room Walls Mar '17 dpoint01 1
Waggle Chimney & Masonry Feb '17 Waggle chimney 1
News The This Old House Hour (Sep '16) Jan '17 clairehast123 2
More from around the web