First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Melissa

Center Moriches, NY

#2 May 21, 2007
I replaced all the windows in my house 14 years ago with Marvin replacements-they are rotting. The vinyl clad is no longer offered as a product-no wonder why. I redid a sunroom with 6 foot windows w/ awnings-they are also rotting. The vinyl is cracked and it looks like driftwood underneath. I have to replace every window in my house. If only Anderson offered the tru-divided lites at the time I would not be facing the expense of replacing my windows. Marvin sticks to their 10 yr warranty! I would not use another Marvin product.
Steve

AOL

#3 Jul 15, 2007
Like Melissa, I replaced all the windows and doors in my house with Marvin 13 years ago. At the time they were selling their wood windows with some sort of a highly touted coating. I don't recall what they called the coating.

All my South facing windows are completely rotten with the casement operators falling apart. Their customer service in Oklahoma City is terrible!

I am considering legal action against Marvin and would like to hear from others who might feel similarly.

Again, like Melissa I would never consider another Marvin product.
Susan

La Porte, IN

#4 Aug 11, 2007
A few of our south and southwestern facing windows started rotting several years ago and this year we finally got a Marvin rep to our home. We have to replace 17 windows after 12 years and we are getting a 25% discount. A friend had to have all of hers replaced after 11 years and hers were free. We are not happy campers.
maureen

AOL

#5 Aug 17, 2007
I purchased Marvin and Pella windows from 1992-1999. The Marvins are rotting/showing signs of rot; the Pellas are fine. One bay window rotted out in under 5 years and Marvin replaced it free but did not pay for installation. I have met with both the local Marvin people and the installer and all I could get from them was some weatherstripping which did not resolve the problem.
mjzl

Pepperell, MA

#6 Sep 1, 2007
Steve wrote:
Like Melissa, I replaced all the windows and doors in my house with Marvin 13 years ago. At the time they were selling their wood windows with some sort of a highly touted coating. I don't recall what they called the coating.
All my South facing windows are completely rotten with the casement operators falling apart. Their customer service in Oklahoma City is terrible!
I am considering legal action against Marvin and would like to hear from others who might feel similarly.
Again, like Melissa I would never consider another Marvin product.
Are these aluminum clad casement windows? Ours have also rotted!
Jeff

Farmington, MI

#7 Sep 5, 2007
I guess I can join the club. I purchased over 30 Marvin wood, factory primed replacement windows in 1990 and 1991. Several of the windows, expecially on the south and southwest exposure are rotting. In some cases it is the sash in others the frames and in others both.
I had a terse e-mail forwarded to me from Greg Iverson at Marvin stating "Sorry. 1990-91 is out of warranty and beyond the courtesy discount time frame as well".
It is interesting there is not one good comment on this forum about Marvin.
I wonder why.
Perhaps everyone on this page should e-mail Greg and let him know there is a big problem with Marvin windows.
Kathe

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Sep 11, 2007
I just ordered all Marvin most custom wood framed windows and its been one nightmare after another. Does anyone have a name and number of a Marvin direct rep? The place where I ordered the windows is no help at all and I need to talk to a Marvin company person directly. Wondering if I will run into rot 15 yrs from now.
Mark - Merrimac WI

United States

#9 Sep 17, 2007
This weekend, same problem.
We built our dream house 12 years ago on lake Wisconsin, lots of windows facing south to the water. My wife is just sick when she found four of the
twenty some crank-outs rotted on the bottom frame that is hidden when closed. Of course warrenty is 10 yrs. We took pictures into our local
Marvin center, they are going to check to see if Marvin will step up to the plate.....I have a gut feeling all the window are bad. These are also the
aluminum clad model. I did see on another web site where they did have a class action suit back in o4 that rotted windows, you are able to 58% off replafcement cost. I bought $15,000. worth of windows, stained cherry, and installed ends up about $25,000.00. I can;t blieve it.
Marvin - NE Ohio

Pottstown, PA

#10 Sep 22, 2007
I bought a housefull of Marvin windows and doors in 1994. One of the doors is so rotted I could easily put my foot through it. Most of the door units on the south side are leaking or have leaked. The 6 tilt-turn windows leak. I am in contact with Marvin and have sent photos of the above. No response yet.
Jane

Oakton, VA

#11 Sep 27, 2007
I paid a lot of money to have 35 windows put in my home. Marvin windows. They are now rotting for the third time. DON'T BUY MARVIN WINDOWS!! They do not stand behind the quality of their products and like Melissa said of hers, they rot!
Peggy

San Francisco, CA

#12 Oct 4, 2007
We just discovered 5 of our large Marvin windows are completely rotted. We purchased them 13 years ago (1994). Marvin takes no responsibility - 10 year warranty. The windows have the coating that others have described on this site. I have pictures of the windows, and if someone pursues legal action, I would be happy to participate. We live in California, so weather is not a contributing problem - the windows in question face west, east, and south.
Do any of you who have these windows with the unusual finish know whether they should be repainted or is the finish intended to last the life of the window?
Joanne

Garden City, NY

#13 Oct 11, 2007
I also have a very long history with Marvin windows. 21 years ago we installed 36 Marvin wood windows, factory primed, many custom windows in our 1928 home. In 1997 we were part of the class action suit regarding rotting windows and possible defect in the prime used at the factory. As a result Marvin replaced 18 of the 36 windows (11 windows not replaced are totally protected by a screened porch. 6 others, by the grace of God have yet to rot) in August of 1998. I recently noticed two of the replaced windows have rotted. They look like drift wood under the perfectly intact paint. I called Marvin today, they pulled my file and told me that the windows were not covered under any warranty because they would be covered under my original warranty of 21 years ago. Marvin claims that since they paid for the replacements the warranty did not start from the date of installation. I will NOT replace them with Marvin windows. Twenty years and two sets of windows is not a good tract record. The windows that we did not replace in this old house have lasted 80 years. I guess they don't make them like the used to.
Shell

Owatonna, MN

#14 Oct 11, 2007
Do you have the Bahama Brown exterior color? I'm wondering if the dark color is causing the problem on south side with heating/cooling.
Joanne wrote:
I also have a very long history with Marvin windows. 21 years ago we installed 36 Marvin wood windows, factory primed, many custom windows in our 1928 home. In 1997 we were part of the class action suit regarding rotting windows and possible defect in the prime used at the factory. As a result Marvin replaced 18 of the 36 windows (11 windows not replaced are totally protected by a screened porch. 6 others, by the grace of God have yet to rot) in August of 1998. I recently noticed two of the replaced windows have rotted. They look like drift wood under the perfectly intact paint. I called Marvin today, they pulled my file and told me that the windows were not covered under any warranty because they would be covered under my original warranty of 21 years ago. Marvin claims that since they paid for the replacements the warranty did not start from the date of installation. I will NOT replace them with Marvin windows. Twenty years and two sets of windows is not a good tract record. The windows that we did not replace in this old house have lasted 80 years. I guess they don't make them like the used to.
Shell

Owatonna, MN

#15 Oct 11, 2007
Do you have the Bahama Brown exterior color? I'm wondering if the dark color is causing the problem on south side with heating/cooling.
Shell

Owatonna, MN

#16 Oct 11, 2007
Do you have the Bahama Brown exterior color? I'm wondering if the dark color is causing the problem on south side with heating/cooling.[
Joanne wrote:
Shell

Owatonna, MN

#17 Oct 11, 2007
Do you have the Bahama Brown exterior color? I'm wondering if the dark color is causing the problem on south side with heating/cooling.[
Peggy wrote:
We just discovered 5 of our large Marvin windows are completely rotted. We purchased them 13 years ago (1994). Marvin takes no responsibility - 10 year warranty. The windows have the coating that others have described on this site. I have pictures of the windows, and if someone pursues legal action, I would be happy to participate. We live in California, so weather is not a contributing problem - the windows in question face west, east, and south.
Do any of you who have these windows with the unusual finish know whether they should be repainted or is the finish intended to last the life of the window?
Shell

Owatonna, MN

#18 Oct 11, 2007
Shell

Owatonna, MN

#19 Oct 11, 2007
Joanne

Garden City, NY

#20 Oct 11, 2007
Shell, no my windows were pine and primed at the factory so they could be painted.
Bill

United States

#21 Oct 14, 2007
Mark - Merrimac WI wrote:
This weekend, same problem.
We built our dream house 12 years ago on lake Wisconsin, lots of windows facing south to the water. My wife is just sick when she found four of the
twenty some crank-outs rotted on the bottom frame that is hidden when closed. Of course warrenty is 10 yrs. We took pictures into our local
Marvin center, they are going to check to see if Marvin will step up to the plate.....I have a gut feeling all the window are bad. These are also the
aluminum clad model. I did see on another web site where they did have a class action suit back in o4 that rotted windows, you are able to 58% off replafcement cost. I bought $15,000. worth of windows, stained cherry, and installed ends up about $25,000.00. I can;t blieve it.
I have aluminum clad Marvin Casement windows in our home. These windows were installed in 1998. They are leaking around the weather strip and showing black mildew damage. Can you direct me to the 04 class action lawsuit you refer to in your post? I am trying to figure out what to do. The enrergy efficiency of our home is compromised and mildew is not good for indoor air quality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Improvement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Turn Key Property Services- Ostrander Ohio- BEWARE Sep 16 BEWARE 1
Need help with your home improvements? Be on HGTV! (Feb '07) Sep 15 Debbie oxford 137
Bathroom Renovation (Oct '11) Sep 12 walkerwilliam91 3
Civil Engineering Services Sep 3 walkerwilliam91 1
Commercial roofing repair materials (Sep '12) Sep 2 walkerwilliam91 11
AC repair Miami the proper air conditioning com... (Dec '11) Aug 29 Cory Trevor 9
HVAC Technician (Jun '12) Aug 27 Jesus Ramirez 9
•••

Home Improvement People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••