Pros, cons of wood-pellet stoves

Pros, cons of wood-pellet stoves

There are 53 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 5, 2008, titled Pros, cons of wood-pellet stoves. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

They also produce low emissions. n Cleanup is easy because the pellets create less ash than wood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pellet Guy

United States

#41 Feb 5, 2009
tom wrote:
am i the only one who still burns coal? talk about heat....wow!! i've had mine 20years now. its still awesome. burns clean, too. with minimal clean up.
Not very carbon neutral I am afraid.
Coal stoves do put out a lot of heat...but the downside is the coal. It is dirty nasty stuff. The soot is equally nasty. They are also hard to get the fire going.
Will keep my pellet stove...thank you!

Toronto, Canada

#42 Feb 23, 2009
fairway wrote:
With every one buying pellet stoves, they could run out of pellets.
You are right...this year is the first year since I got my pellet stove that they actually limited the purchase of pellets due to "shortages".
JLoder

United States

#43 Feb 24, 2009
We have a St Croix scf-50 furnace. This is the first year we burned pellets instead of corn. We have a layer of soot on everything. Open the cabinets and there is a layer on all the dishes and everything else. It seems like it is constantly putting soot in the air. I can clean something and the next day it will have a layer on it. Tried using different pellets and it didn't matter. This is in between cleanings also.
phil salzman

United States

#44 Mar 3, 2009
Which pellets create the least dust? I am having big problems this year.
phil salzman

United States

#45 Mar 3, 2009
Whic pellets create the least dust? I am having big problems with dust.
Pellet Guy

United States

#46 Mar 3, 2009
JLoder wrote:
We have a St Croix scf-50 furnace. This is the first year we burned pellets instead of corn. We have a layer of soot on everything. Open the cabinets and there is a layer on all the dishes and everything else. It seems like it is constantly putting soot in the air. I can clean something and the next day it will have a layer on it. Tried using different pellets and it didn't matter. This is in between cleanings also.
What are you using to vac up the ash? Quality pellets produce a very fine ash...fly ash...similar to the dust from dry wall sanding. If you use a regular vac or a normal shop vac you will spread ash everywhere.
Have never burned corn....but have been told it is much dirtier than pellets...and there is an acidic build up on the exhaust ducts...and produces less heat. Is any of this true?
Pellet Guy

United States

#47 Mar 3, 2009
phil salzman wrote:
Whic pellets create the least dust? I am having big problems with dust.
Pellets fines or dust as you call them can be made from even the best pellets from improper handling. The more you move the bags around...the more fines you will create. So it is best to take the bags right off the pallet...otherwise you really never know where or more importantly how these bags got here. Have even heard of some unscrupulous sellers re-selling returned pellets....that is just bad!
Anyway...some brands are notorious for fines...Pennington's come to mind. I have had good luck with the Canadian Pellets such as Cubex. New England Pellet have always been good as well. Had some issues with Maine Woods but not with fines.
Does this help?
phil salzman

United States

#48 Mar 4, 2009
Pellet Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pellets fines or dust as you call them can be made from even the best pellets from improper handling. The more you move the bags around...the more fines you will create. So it is best to take the bags right off the pallet...otherwise you really never know where or more importantly how these bags got here. Have even heard of some unscrupulous sellers re-selling returned pellets....that is just bad!
Anyway...some brands are notorious for fines...Pennington's come to mind. I have had good luck with the Canadian Pellets such as Cubex. New England Pellet have always been good as well. Had some issues with Maine Woods but not with fines.
Does this help?
Thank You...I'll check this out.
Woodstove Wade

Brewer, ME

#49 May 6, 2010
I haven,t read too many posts recently, but heres my 2 cents. I am a dealer of wood & pellet stoves. If the choice was between Wood, Pellet, or Gas. Always choose Wood 1st. least amount of prolbems, most amount of heat. In the past 25 years I,ve installed over 5000 stoves & fireplaces,of wood & gas types. Generaly servicing 5% of these units was required once durning ownership. Since jumping on the pellet wagon in 2008 I sold around 300 pellet stoves,service ratio of 50% in less than 1 year. These numbers speak for themselves. pellet stoves are unreliable,lot of work to clean, in the end not the great savior they are touted to be. I have stopped selling new pellet stoves & gone back to wood or gas units. Should I become a destitute prostitute without a toot , I will always be able to stop on the side of the road & pick up a stick to burn in my stove. Never will you find a pellet laying on the side of the road.

Since: Jun 10

Mumbai, India

#50 Jul 24, 2010
Hi,
It's really a nice suggestion. First the benefits are clear, a pellet burner is much cheaper alternative to oil or gas. This is where the appeal of pellet stoves lie for most consumers as you would expect. Also, as more general positive, pellet stoves are much greener option, as wood pellets are a carbon neutral fuel. The cons are that a pellet burner does require more maintenance that an oil or gas burner. However, the amount of time required to carry out the work is minimal, maximum a few minutes a day.
Mike Mo

Dover, NH

#51 Dec 9, 2010
We brought a pellet stove insert last month to replace an useless fireplace and boy are we glad we did, its heats most of our 2400sq ft Home,we brought the ash vaccumn expensive but worth it, the only drawback is finding good quality pellets to burn with little ash we've been sampling different brands with various prices ,the wife thinks a pellet is a pellet buy the cheaper one save money,I disagree, one important term I come to learn is " fines" I do noticed the more expensive are not much different than less expensive brand pellets that seems to come in sort of small broken pieces and very dusty ,some bags the pellets were actually wet and damp, and some look as if they was wet but had dried,the clerk at the chain store said when I return them, They're ok wet pellets are ok to burn," REALLY?" I think not, Dude!

Since: Oct 11

United States

#52 Oct 12, 2011
Has anyone installed a pellet stove in a mobile home.Did yer homeowners insurance increased or did you get dropped.Considering installing in my single wide.
Chad from NY

New York, NY

#53 Apr 2, 2013
Pellet Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
As stated pellets are easier to transport. Both stoves need about the same amount of maintenance to burn at peak efficiency. Though it is usually more critical keeping the pellet stove clean. The ash from a pellet stove is of a very fine nature. So do not attempt to use a standard house vacuum to suck them up. It will kill it in short order. Get a dedicated ash vac. Well worth the money for either stove...but a must for pellet stoves.
Hi I wants to let you all know I have a old rainbow vacuum cleaner which uses water in the bottom to catch dust and dirt. Since we had no use for it I use it to clean our pellet stoves and it works great no dust in the house from cleaning the pellet stoves. Just a little FYI you can come across the old rainbows at garage sales cheap..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Improvement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Home Improvement (Jun '12) Nov '17 stephenbock 53
Hardee Board Color Plus Siding Oct '17 Planalyze 1
Marvin Windows (May '07) Oct '17 123Meow 430
News Day laborers, seen as key to Harvey recovery, w... Sep '17 spud 93
Best wall paint colour Aug '17 dasileve 1
Quartz Slabs Buying Guide where to buy quart... Aug '17 jc zh 1
News Quantum Capital Management Acquires 3,297 Share... Aug '17 Utah Guy 3
More from around the web