Lure of land gives way to frustration

Full story: El Paso Times

Weathered skin hanging over her petite frame, June Ellingson says she is happy with the desert home that leaves her perched precariously close to death nearly every day.
Comments
21 - 40 of 93 Comments Last updated 16 hrs ago
Jodie

Lagos, Nigeria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

I think they have opened a prison there in the last few years
jay

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

had 60 acres in hudspeth county . fort hancock 18 miles up a county road . sunset ranches promised power within 2 yrs. never happened . promised passible roads never happened . i am taking care of my mother , if you can't get out with out a large 4x4 then you don't get out . i gave the land back and bought a house. i lost the money but so what . at least my family is safe . sunset ranches is nothing but a scam everyone beware
Oil on land

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2009

I felt like a sucker till I got a check from a drilling company wanting permission to drill on my land out there. Hold on to your land. Let them laugh. Just sit and wait.
Sunset Ranches

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

I called the tax collector and she or someone said they are a great. are they in on the scam ?
Melinda

Tyler, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Debbi wrote:
I'm new to Sierra Blanca but the properties I own (along with my sister and brother) are the result of a land scam that goes all the way back to 1930 when my great Aunt and Uncle bought 4 lots. My parents (now deceased) handed these 4 lots down to us and so now we are to pay the less than $20/year in taxes. I would like to know if anyone knows what is going on in Sierra Blanca, if anything. My parents made a trip to SB back in 1980 or so to see "the land" and of course found virtually nothing but scrub grass and lots of desert.
Thanks for all the information but I would like to know if anyone knows what's going on there now.
My mother and step-father currently are living down there. I you are still interested in finding out more about whats up in Sierra Blanca I can get you in touch with them. Email me at mel_sull@yahoo.com and put Sierra Blanca in the title and I will send you their email address.
pjs57

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Sunset Ranches wrote:
I called the tax collector and she or someone said they are a great. are they in on the scam ?
My husband had also called the county office and was told it was good land and a legit company!?!?!?
pjs57

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Oil on land wrote:
I felt like a sucker till I got a check from a drilling company wanting permission to drill on my land out there. Hold on to your land. Let them laugh. Just sit and wait.
We are SO ready to sell our land...How do we go about it???? Thanks
Info

El Dorado Springs, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2009

Anyone have Info on silver spur ranch? I was going to buy 120 acres there off of county road 1111 south of I-10. The ad says there is power down the county road 1111 is this true, AND IF SO How much it will cost to set a power pole? If anyone could give me any info about the property about drilling wells or what power would cost?....ANYTHING you can tell me I WOULD REALLY BE THANKFUL!... I need to know fast. THANKS ALOT! Donna
Danno

Saint Stephen, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2009

http://www.txpeer.org/toxictour/merco.html

Copy and paste that link into your web browser and you will have the time of your life. I own 20 acres there also...

“We do it GREEN...imagine that!”

Since: Sep 09

GREEN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Danno wrote:
http://www.txpeer.org/toxictou r/merco.html
Copy and paste that link into your web browser and you will have the time of your life. I own 20 acres there also...
To narrow down where the Merco Ranch was is a little difficult and that New York City sludge was a deal killer for sure! Folks in Sierra Blanca got sick from that stuff.

That was a very scary time and some nasty stuff they sprayed out there. I refused to buy any land in that area, north of I-10, for that reason. There does not seem to be any issues with the land south of I-10 like Donna was asking about.

I am leary of Sunset Ranches...I can not put my finger on it, but something is not right out there. 4 1/2 years as a Texas Peace Officer tells me something just ain't right!

Desert living is NOT for everyone, but you do not have to be a fool to buy the land and/or live out there...just have the right attitude!

I own 11.02 acres in Hudspeth County and I wish I had thousands more!

The glass is half full in Hudspeth County for those who are willing to see it!
El Paso Taxpayer

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Oil on land wrote:
It's near impossible to buy land in Texas with any kind of mineral rights... So I know you're not getting any money for the oil. How much do they pay you to put a well on your land?
who_is_the_crazy _one

Vancouver, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2009

Crazy Capitalist wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing wrong with capitalism. As a matter of fact, capitalism did exactly what it was suppose to do in this case.
If these people didn't educate themselves about what they were getting themselves into, then why is it now my responsiblity to have them living off the doll that is funded by my federal income tax and my state sales tax?
What do you expect??? The lady had 2 teeth!!!
I own a good chunk of land out in Hudspeth County with a clean title. There are no utilities, no water, no nothing but brush and desert with some nice vistas. I go out there every now and then for a camping trip. My real intention is to engage in long term speculation.
Have you seen how far east El Paso has grown? Joe Battle and Montana is it's own little city. I'm not that far from the county line and when the growth crosses the county line, I will waiting in Hudspeth County for the developers to come knocking on my door.
At that point, I'll be walking away with a price that I demand for the land and Carl Marx Starr's of the world can go to hell!!!!!!!!!!
I'm wondering, who's the crazy one here?? Who in their right mind would come knocking at your sludge filled door??? You are the crazy one thinking you will be walking away with a price that you demand for the land. Noone in their right mind will pay to own sludge that Merco has been dumping in that area causing people to become sick since the late 1990's.
I really feel sorry for you, because what Merco has been allowed to do will ultimately cause some grief in your life. It's too bad you own land there. It is not even worth it for you to pay someone to take it from you!!! I wish you the best of luck!!!
Buyers, Contractors beware...
DRY DREAMS IN HUDSPETH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2009

THE DUMPING STILL CONTINUES DAILY . YOU CAN SEE THE TRAINS LEAVING THE MAIN TRACK ON THE RAIL SPUR . ASK ANY TRUCK DRIVER OR PERSON THAT TRAVELS I-10 ON A REGULAR BASIS . YOU CAN SEE THEM FROM THE BORDER PATROL INSPECTION CHECK STATION WHEN YOU STOP . MONEY TALKS AND WASTE SHIT TRAVELS BY TRAIN FROM NEW YORK .
TXInvestor

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

pjs57 wrote:
<quoted text>
We are SO ready to sell our land...How do we go about it???? Thanks
How much do you have and what do you want for it?
Bob Fitzmorris

Castle Rock, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

I was aware that the land in Hudspeth County is indeed barren. However the companies that sold this land are unscrupulous crooks because they did not divulge the fact that Hudspeth County is one of the largest toxic wastes dump, 38,000 acres. The toxic waste is not buried and is spread on surface to migrate into the Rio Grand River. They dump huge quantities of toxic waste from New York City on a weekly basis. I believe all the people who were scammed on this land sale should ban together for a major lawsuit. Also our 1992 president Bush should be chastised for destroying the people’s lives near this toxic dump. I.e. Sierra Blanca and surrounding ranches.
Bob Fitzmorris

Castle Rock, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Debbi wrote:
I'm new to Sierra Blanca but the properties I own (along with my sister and brother) are the result of a land scam that goes all the way back to 1930 when my great Aunt and Uncle bought 4 lots. My parents (now deceased) handed these 4 lots down to us and so now we are to pay the less than $20/year in taxes. I would like to know if anyone knows what is going on in Sierra Blanca, if anything. My parents made a trip to SB back in 1980 or so to see "the land" and of course found virtually nothing but scrub grass and lots of desert.
Thanks for all the information but I would like to know if anyone knows what's going on there now.
bigbad8@live.com
I am responding to your letter to let you know that in 1992 a toxic dump was place on a 38,000 acre ranch next to Sierra Blanca and the people are leaving their homes behind because of the toxic issues. Also this dump is running down the water ways into Rio Grande river and down to gulf. I will hold on to my land mainly to see what happens. The Mexican government is sueing the USA or this issue.
Bob
Think About It

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

1). The land being sold is not financed; They claim seller is financing. You do not receive anything, except a P.O. box to send your monthly payment. It would be different if they actually completed the deal and you had proof of ownership with a lien against the land and a payment book, but you do not. You must completely trust the company.
2). You the buyer do not own mineral rights to the land. I read in some post here about drilling on the land being sold around Hudspeth Co TX. The buyer waives the mineral rights. To me this is another BIG RED FLAG.
Dee

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

I purchased 20 acres at Sunset Ranches and I need someone to honestly tell me if I'm wasting my money and time paying on it monthly.
Pat

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

We are thinking of getting 120ar, of land thair but you do need to check all the paper work frist to see if you can drill for water, It does cost a lot to put power poles and line in,it wood be cheeper to but soler power.Soler power can run a 2600sqt, home and to put it in will pay for it self .
mandalea2002

Lake City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2011

Judged:

Found this website after we made our first payment to Sunset Ranches, we were never offered this info. It is the Declaration of Restriction Covenants. This is the website.....I have sent emails to get answers but no response...

https://www.sunsetranches.com/home/pdf/Sunset...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Home Gardening Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Patriotism to bloom at flower show 7 hr jenniferzara 3
Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) Aug 18 Natural Weight Loss 911
Ontario Trillium Foundation grant will help a s... Aug 18 Willow Park 2
Waste not, want not Aug 15 blast a boggin 4
Jour de Fete is an artisan celebration Aug 13 Burning man 2
Obama bemoans picking of 'Strange Fruit' Aug 13 Far Away 1
8 weird houses worth a visit Aug 13 Spotted Girl 5

Search the Home Gardening Forum:
•••