Vacaville residents advocate for back...

Vacaville residents advocate for backyard chickens

There are 10 comments on the The Daily Republic story from Jun 11, 2012, titled Vacaville residents advocate for backyard chickens. In it, The Daily Republic reports that:

Changing the course of a city ordinance isn't an impossibility and if Ravinder Rangi has his way, chickens clucking in a residential backyard will be as common as a dog bark.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Republic.

Randy

Vacaville, CA

#1 Jun 11, 2012
Over at the trailer park where Barbi lives they have a three hen limit.
A Thought

Vacaville, CA

#2 Jun 12, 2012
First time a yardbird cockadoodles at sunrise on my day off, it would find it has a new name: "My Supper!"
Adam Lambert

Vallejo, CA

#3 Jun 17, 2012
A Thought wrote:
First time a yardbird cockadoodles at sunrise on my day off, it would find it has a new name: "My Supper!"
Are you saying that you would “choke the chicken”?
Flarbi

United States

#4 Jun 18, 2012
I like Chickens in my backyard. Especially Roosters.
Randy

Vacaville, CA

#5 Jun 18, 2012
Flarbi wrote:
I like Chickens in my backyard. Especially Roosters.
Back yard or back door?
Heather

Fremont, CA

#6 Jun 18, 2012
Is there a difference?
getridofchickens

Elk Grove, CA

#9 Nov 4, 2012
I think anyone raising chickens in a residential area is a wannabe farmer. Move to Nebraska so we can keep are value of our property..
KFC lover

United States

#10 Nov 5, 2012
I say let them all raise chickens!

I also think we need to specify here. Any location zoned rural residential should be able to have as many chickens as they'd like. A purely residential property obviously shouldn't be allowed to have 30 chickens, but 3 hens can't hurt anybody if they're enclosed and more than 15 feet away from neighboring homes. Three is pretty much all most chicken lovin' folks want anyway.

Besides, not that many people want them anyway. When Sacramento legalized chickens last year, the number of license applications they received didn't even come close to projections. 2 whole years of debate for what? Less than 40 people in all of Sacramento have purchased licenses since the ordinance was approved last August- and I bet most of them already had chickens to begin with.
irritated

Vacaville, CA

#11 Mar 15, 2013
well.. for one thing.. HENS dont crow. What is a bigger nuisense, the huge barking dog in my neighbor's yard that barks at me every time I walk out the back door, rips the boards off the fence, digs and has poop the size of a horse!, or 3 little hens that make sweet little cluck sounds, eat all of the harmful bugs and dont every leave their tiny area?
The ordinance is stupid. People can free range tom cats, and leave huge extremely loud dogs to bark all night, but can't have a chicken in a cage? What's the difference between having a parrot in a cage and a chicken in a cage?? oh. that's right, a Parrot is noisy and doesnt give eggs.

I just get annoyed with ignorant people who know nothing about the subjects of the laws they pass.
TAXPAYERS

San Mateo, CA

#13 Mar 31, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Gardening Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Maureen Dowd: Coddling of the Wall Street elite (Mar '09) Tue Geezer Heimers 2
News LGBTQ community to celebrate "Earth Gay" in Ver... Mon Chris Ess 29
News Menus: 5/22/2016 May 22 Cheddar Cheese 1
News Welcome to Bruni, Texas - where water comes wit... May 22 Carl Wilhelm Scheele 4
News Chili And Wing Cook Off Set For Saturday On Mir... May 20 Yes we can 2
News Great-grandfather survived Battle of Little Big... May 19 Jane 1
News Ross County man builds dream cabin one log at a... May 19 Marylou 1
More from around the web