Church considers reclaiming acre of l...

Church considers reclaiming acre of land for building expansion

There are 4 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Jul 27, 2008, titled Church considers reclaiming acre of land for building expansion. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Nine years after moving to a new site, the city's Community Gardens may be uprooted again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

Church Trustee

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jul 28, 2008
I can sympathize with the garden folks. I've been involved with the garden for years myself. Since 1957 the plot of land has been unused and left to fallow. It was a continuous buden to keep the weeds down and not to mention the fire hazard it represented. When the City inquired on its availablity 10 years ago we were more than happy to see the space used for something that benefitted the community. However, we are first a place of worship to our Lord Jesus Christ. The decision to merge our churches was a critical move for the survivability of our congregations. Otherwise we most likely would have had to close our doors and disperse the congregation in a few years. This event would have likely resulted in a developer aquiring the property for a new tract of homes or another expansion of Biola University. I'm glad we have been able to keep our church in La Mirada. With this opportunity, we will be able to consolidate our time, talents and treasures that will hopefully result in offering the community a new and vibrant worship facility. The building of a pre-school is likely just a small part of what we can do with this property if this is what ends up happening in this part of the site. Everything is still in the conceptual stage right now. Keeping the garden could very well still be an option.

Ladera Ranch, CA

#2 Jul 28, 2008
Your Church's conntributions to the gardens have been above and beyond. You must do what's best for your congregation first. I hope the gardners find an alternative location, and that it is not just limited to a select few.

Oxnard, CA

#3 Aug 30, 2008
so what

La Puente, CA

#4 Mar 27, 2013
You wanna know pain? Getting hoed day in and day out. Hoed hoed hoed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Gardening Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) 8 hr Human 941
News Reevely: Liberals promise to listen to PS again... Sep 27 Good Jobs 4 Canad... 1
News Home Improvement (Jun '12) Sep 27 Alex 33
News Troup County Extension agent: Fall garden rambl... Sep 27 mosquitoguy 1
News Downing Street garden a growing concern Sep 25 goonsquad 1
News Farmers market returns to Uptown Marysville (May '11) Sep 24 hambone hambone 10
News Our Opinion: Plenty of good news to share from ... Sep 24 West Jackson 8
More from around the web