Kim In Michigan

Lincoln Park, MI

#1 Sep 14, 2007
I have just purchased a "King Tut" plant. I really don't know anything about it. I have been told only that it is a annual here in Michigan. I am in hopes that I might be able to winter it over inside my home. Does anyone know if this is possible? if not, how can I propogate this plant? I absolutley love it and this is the first time that I have found it at a store local to my home.
Thanks inadvance for any info that can be sent.
Thanks, Kim
Diane in Ohio

Columbus, OH

#2 May 7, 2008
My daughter bought me one last summer, it was the most unual plant and hoped it would come back this spring, but so far, it looks pretty dead. Wish I could give you an answer, maybe someone else can help us...
william in IL

Mattoon, IL

#3 May 17, 2008
These plants are very tropical and like water. My sugguestion is to pot your King Tut in a clay based pot before the cool fall. Let the plant adapt to the pot and continue growth. When the temps start to drop bring the plant in and place it in a medium sized dog dish with water. Make sure your plant is in the East or West window for strong sun. Make sure your temperture in your house does not fall below 50 degrees or you have a problem....Good Luck
Jo Minneapolis

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jun 14, 2009
It is only a perennial in zones 10-11, but they told me at the garden center to keep it in a big pot and bring indoors when it starts to get cool in the evenings, and set in a dish of water keeping it moist. They also said it does not like to be divided and to be really careful repotting it not to disturb the roots too much. I just love how it looks!
MARTIN

AOL

#5 Jun 23, 2009
Kim In Michigan wrote:
I have just purchased a "King Tut" plant. I really don't know anything about it. I have been told only that it is a annual here in Michigan. I am in hopes that I might be able to winter it over inside my home. Does anyone know if this is possible? if not, how can I propogate this plant? I absolutley love it and this is the first time that I have found it at a store local to my home.
Thanks inadvance for any info that can be sent.
Thanks, Kim
BEFORE IT GET'S 2 COLD BRING IN YOUR KING TUT PLANT INDOORS INTIL NEXT SPRING OR SUMMER AS WELL ANY OTHER PLANT U WANT 2 SAVE
MARY ANN

Windsor, Canada

#6 Sep 24, 2009
Do you cut the King Tut down completely and just leave the roots?
shirley in michigan

United States

#7 Oct 9, 2009
can i cut my king tut back for the waiter will it come back next summer granma4887@peoplepc.com
shelly sister of stacy

Milwaukee, WI

#8 May 27, 2010
My sister has a King Tut. Rockford Illinois.
It is planted by her down spout and get alot of water from that. It comes back bigger and better every year.
Jeffery

Lake Orion, MI

#9 Jul 22, 2010
I bought the King Tut and the Baby King Tut. King Tut was planted in the earth and I am so excited how well it is growing. Baby King Tt is in a pot, looks great they both require lots of water. Wonderful investments and lots of compliments. Looks so exotic! I live in Michigan.
Doris

Canada

#10 Aug 24, 2010
The King Tut and Baby Tut are considered annuals in zone 9 and under. I live in Manitoba, Canada (zone 3) and I treat mine as annuals. Mine is planted by my waterfall where it receives a ton of water from the waterfall's spray. I doubt that this plant can be over-wintered inside unless you place in a greenhouse or sunroom. Watering would be of the essence. Every day. In fact, make sure that the container has no drainage holes so the moisture stays. If you are adventurous, give it a try and let the rest of us know. I'd be interested as I am in the process of building a greenhouse.
Doris
www.my-gardening-and-landscaping-makeover.com
Julie I

Buffalo, NY

#11 May 15, 2012
I planted one last year in the drainage area of our sump pump. It grew like nothing I've ever seen. Beautiful! I thought that leaving it in the wet area, cutting it down and bagging it would would protect it thru the winter. Not! We had a very mild winter this past year (Buffalo, NY)with very few days of freezing temperatures. All my other grass plants made..the papyrus did not.
Just bought a new one to place in the same area after I completely remove the root structure from the old.
Davey Willans

Boonton, NJ

#12 Oct 14, 2012
When I bring in my King Tut potted plants for winter, do I cut back?
Debbie Nelson

Brazil, IN

#13 Nov 16, 2012
I live in Indiana where these are considered tropicals for ponds. I've brought both my King Tut and my "baby" king tut (umbrella palm) in for the winter. I've placed them in a big tub on wheels that I keep as full of water as possible. I've not repotted them but just left them as I brought them in from the pond. I will need to repot the King because he's HUGE! The entire setup is in my kitchen by the patio door where they get a great deal of sun, but yet aren't too hot. The advantage of the rolling setup enables me to move it around, thank goodness because it takes up nearly a fourth of the kitchen and reaches to the ceiling!
Zone 7 gardener

Kanab, UT

#14 Mar 10, 2013
I bought my king tut while on vacation in New Mexico last summer, knowing it would not survive a zone 7, high-desert winter. It's in a large pot so I brought it indoors b4 the frost in October and put it in a large north-facing (floor to ceiling) window (only window large enough). Indoors I water it once a week, with Miracle Grow house plant food each time... Was told it would remain green (and it has) but wouldn't "grow"... But it has continued to produce stems all winter, some of which are over 7 feet tall! In the warm weather it will live in it's pot on my front porch near the front door, where it thrived all last summer with once-a-day (automatic drip system) watering and MG food once a week. It's an amazing plant and the dominant focal point of my home's entryway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Gardening Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tips for gardening in dry shade | the Compleat ... 9 hr kody 1
News Coming soon: Campovida (May '10) Apr 14 the Fear tator 19
News In Orlando, food doesn't have to be fast Apr 14 Vib_Ram 1
News Masterchef Winner Shelina Permalloo Launches Ma... (Apr '13) Apr 11 KING BEADY 5
News Obama tells Pope Francis he is a "great admirer" (Mar '14) Apr 10 swedenforever 152
News Bjarke To The Future: Meet NYC's New Green Arch... (Feb '11) Apr 8 Long Darby 2
News Opinion: Indian PM's upcoming visit to Canada c... Apr 7 QUITTNER Apr 7 2015 2
More from around the web