Help! I need farmhouse decorating ideas!

Posted in the Home Decorating Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Deena

Shippenville, PA

#1 Feb 7, 2008
My Fiance and I are getting my Grandma's 1920's farm house. There is a lot of dark wood crown molding, dark wood floors, high ceilings and doorways. I have never had an experience with such dark wood before. I tend to like light colors, pastels and whites, with a few bold colors incorporated in. I also like primitives and some antiques. There are all new windows that were just put in last summer, so they're not old fashioned. Any ideas on how we could decorate and keep the old look, but not make it seem like 70 year olds live there? Is there a style we should definitely stay away from, or definitely go with? Has anyone else had this dilemma and worked through it and would like to share ideas? Would it look wierd to do a more modern design inside, with a farmhouse style house? Is it a bad idea to do different styles/themes in different rooms? I would appreciate any and all feedback, we're really not sure where to go here! Thanks!
Cheyenne

Rotonda West, FL

#2 Mar 1, 2008
Deena,
My fiance and I have just purchased a 1920's farmhouse in E. Tennessee. So if you get any idea's let me know. I grew up in on an old farm and have some memories to draw decorating ideas from... I do know that you can still use your light colors ala "shabby chic".
We have two rooms with high ceilings and the rest were add on's so they are not high at all. We are doing some renovations to move the kitchen and add a 3rd bedroom and another bath. I can't wait. I have some antiques to take, but another option is reproductions with modern features. Like the stoves and frigs that look old...however I think that the kitchen will be one place we may, modern it up a little with stainless appliances. I will be keeping the furnishings to a more traditional look. As long as you don't go too different, I think the eclectic style of mixing decor is great. Make it your own...that's what counts. We have beautiful golden oak hardwood floors that have been under carpet for sometime and 3 fireplaces. Maybe we can share ideas.
Good luck,
Cheyenne
Primitive Home Decor

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Mar 1, 2008
There are serveral site out there for coutry / rustic decorating products. One of my personal favorites is Primitive Home Decors at http://www.primitivehomedecors.com

They have a whole slew of decorating ideas. Pottery, Dolls, Curtains, you name. Very reasonable prices.
Deena

Shippenville, PA

#4 Mar 4, 2008
Cheyenne wrote:
Deena,
My fiance and I have just purchased a 1920's farmhouse in E. Tennessee. So if you get any idea's let me know. I grew up in on an old farm and have some memories to draw decorating ideas from... I do know that you can still use your light colors ala "shabby chic".
We have two rooms with high ceilings and the rest were add on's so they are not high at all. We are doing some renovations to move the kitchen and add a 3rd bedroom and another bath. I can't wait. I have some antiques to take, but another option is reproductions with modern features. Like the stoves and frigs that look old...however I think that the kitchen will be one place we may, modern it up a little with stainless appliances. I will be keeping the furnishings to a more traditional look. As long as you don't go too different, I think the eclectic style of mixing decor is great. Make it your own...that's what counts. We have beautiful golden oak hardwood floors that have been under carpet for sometime and 3 fireplaces. Maybe we can share ideas.
Good luck,
Cheyenne
Wow it sounds like we have almost identical houses. We thought about stainless appliances also, and theres lots of hardwood floors! We should definitely exchange ideas.
Randy Parten

Seattle, WA

#5 Mar 5, 2008
We recently bought a 1940s home. We face the same type of decorating challenges; You can't really go modern because it clashes. We found that "shabby chic" doesn't work either - it just looks old/dated! Maybe the coolest thing we did for a reasonable $$ was an electric wood stove heater in our office space. We got a Lincoln Hearth Products unit - they are built well and very quiet. It heats one room well and look very chariming in our old home.
Deena wrote:
My Fiance and I are getting my Grandma's 1920's farm house. There is a lot of dark wood crown molding, dark wood floors, high ceilings and doorways. I have never had an experience with such dark wood before. I tend to like light colors, pastels and whites, with a few bold colors incorporated in. I also like primitives and some antiques. There are all new windows that were just put in last summer, so they're not old fashioned. Any ideas on how we could decorate and keep the old look, but not make it seem like 70 year olds live there? Is there a style we should definitely stay away from, or definitely go with? Has anyone else had this dilemma and worked through it and would like to share ideas? Would it look wierd to do a more modern design inside, with a farmhouse style house? Is it a bad idea to do different styles/themes in different rooms? I would appreciate any and all feedback, we're really not sure where to go here! Thanks!
ronilaz

United States

#6 Mar 14, 2008
I would do it totally modern or art deco. It will add charm and update the old place that once was occupied my grma and grpa.
As far as the dark wood put a wash of your favorite color over it.
Go with what you love to live with, especially color wise. Color is what is stimulating. If you hate a color stay away from it.
If you hate country ducks and country blue (even though it's an old farm house) don't do it.
Check out McKenzie Child. It's creative country with a twist.
Check out some home decorating magazines for ideas.
Wishing you the best in your endeavor.
Moi

Shanghai, China

#8 Apr 2, 2008
sanya_s stop spamming the boards with your site, each time I see your posts it's always the same wordings showing off your site. Annoying.
No moderators here?
lissahere

Guffey, CO

#9 May 7, 2008
Hi there!
I had lots of experience with this type of decorating! My favorite thing was putting up check curtains! Some that I bought, and then just fabric that I tore and tacked up with 3 small nails and took 2 clothspins to pull it up.(really cute for primative look. If you like country find stuff at sales. I like to get primative items and antiques. My sister loves my decorating ideas and so I have decorated many friens homes also.
Do you have shelves? Put some fabric or lace to hang off a bit and put a old item and maybe a wood bowl hand some (longenber baskets) or just neat ones or even candles off pegs. Peg racks are great to hang anything like hats,old clothes, etc.
Arange your furnature a different way maybe cozy it up to look at the fireplace. Find quilts and put them in cubbards or on a latter in a corner!
I like old pictures of People in Old Frames or house pictures (Warren Kimble) Find old stuff you like and just go with it!
lissahere

Guffey, CO

#10 May 7, 2008
Find old stuff to decorate with!
designfrog

New York, NY

#11 May 16, 2008
showcase your home and style at Radcribs.com

http://hometour.radcribs.com
Surfing

Athens, OH

#12 Aug 5, 2008
Check out www.myurbanfarmhouse.com great accessories for today's updated farmhouse look
kssjones

Fuquay Varina, NC

#13 Aug 29, 2008
I'm so happy to see this blog! We bought a 1920's farmhouse in downtown Raleigh, NC last May, and I'd like to (over time) decorate it as such. It's totally redone inside, but still has the old doors, floors, staircase, and everything old that they could salvage. I've tried some antique shops, and haven't found much, yet. I'm especially looking for a chandelier to go over the kitchen table - something not too big, pretty simple, a little rustic, and preferably, with at least a hint of copper in it. We've used copper touches throughout the den, and the spaces are all connected. I'm not big on the whole "Americana country" themes (though I am patriotic), but like to blend the old with the new. Websites, anyone?
LoriW

Fort White, FL

#14 Oct 28, 2008
Cheyenne wrote:
Deena,
Good luck,
Cheyenne
Hi, we live in a 1909 Farmhouse. We've incorporated modern with vintage throughout the house....you can do anything you want to as long as you try to stick to the integrity of the house....I mean don't go vintage disco or vintage 50's....
We've added at least one antique peice to every room in the house - primitive is our choice and original paint as well. But we have stainless steal appliances with modern cabinets which are on task to be painted and glazed for an antiqued look......we have lazyboy chairs and reclining sofa in the living room but used a vintage look fabric on them to tie it in (if we ever move, we simply re-upholster the sofa). We'll add a flat screen tv but display it on an antique bureau adapted for the add ons......
Mix and match...be eclectic.....you will love it.
jen

AOL

#15 Apr 3, 2009
My hubby and I live in an old farmhouse-except ours dates back to the 1700's. Let me tell you...it's got a lot of character. I want to encourage you to look at thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets and such to find your personal style. Create a 'style file' first (fill file folders or a notebook with clippings from magazines with pictures that you like. Note on each page what you like. After a while you will see common themes emerging. ex. wood floors, throw pillows that are red, etc) I've decorated several homes over the years. The things I've learned are 1. to take your time so you don't buy the whole shabang at once which helps you to 2. save money and effort, honing in on what you really like...and what you really like is what is going to work. It is your house-don't decorate for anyone else; your neighbor, your best friend or your sister. It is also wise to live in a place for a little bit to let it 'speak' to you-you start to notice things that you didn't realize upon initially living there. Good luck and God bless!!!

“Find the joy in creating!”

Since: Apr 08

Las Vegas

#16 Apr 7, 2009
There are many great ideas here for decorating an old farm house. I spent my early childhood years living in one in Powell, WY. If you decide to go with different styles/themes, I would suggest a different room for each style. It might look a little strange mixing oriental decor with rustic or southwestern and African decor all in the same room. However, having different styles in different areas of your home can make it fun and interesting. Most people associate an old farmhouse with having primitive or rustic design schemes. But done the right way, I think a more modern, eclectic look would be an interesting twist on this type of home.
Katie

Wichita, KS

#18 Jun 16, 2009
We bought a 1900 farmhouse in a sububan area that was built up around the original house in the 1960's. However, it is a simple home and lacks many of the period details. We have built wainscoating in the dining room and refinished the wood floors... but it is hard to know how do decorate. Any ideas?
Devon

Columbia, SC

#19 Jun 17, 2009
I loved older homes, especially farmhouse homes that you see in the country.

I think it's important that you use a combination of older trinkets as well as newer concepts and styles.

If you need trinkets and other unique items to decorate your home, you may want to

take a look at http://www.royal-tara.com . They have a great selection of items.

You should also make sure you include a lot of fresh flowers and plants inside and outside the home.

I hope this helps.

Devon
Rachel

Louisville, KY

#21 Jul 22, 2009
Whatever you do, DON'T cover up the dark wood! I have purchased several older homes and always have to take layers of paint off beautiful wood. Everytime I have to do this, I ask myself why someone would cover up such a lovely feature. It always looks 100% better after I restore the wood, trust me!:)
ShabbyChick

United States

#22 Jul 27, 2009
I am an interior designer. My husband and I bought 8 acres with a beautiful old barn and we are planning to build a farmhouse on it. We will raise sheep, chickens, pygmy goats, mini donkeys and someday horses. It will be a new construction made to "look" like it's always been there. This can be tricky today, especially if you are watching your budget. Our plan is to use oak for the wide trim, baseboards, crown moulding, doors and wood floors all with a medium stain. We plan to put in a river rock fireplace, and incorporate beadboard in certain areas. Our colors throughout the home are light blue, khaki, pear green and a pop of red in the library. Based on experience, we will not be using wood flooring in bathrooms, the kitchen or the mud/laundry room. Instead of using modern tile in these areas we are opting for hexagonal tiles in the master bath and powder room, and vinyl tiles in a checkerboard pattern (historically correct) for the kitchen and kids bath...I'm thinking dark blue and white. The kitchen and master bath cabinets will be white recessed panel with bronze hardware-cup handles on drawers and knobs on doors. The faucets, lighting and all doorknobs throughout the house will be bronze. The cabinets in the laundry room and kids bath will be maple with a clear finish and large wooden knobs on all doors/drawers. We will incorporate some open shelving in the kitchen to showcase my collection of mixing bowls. Our kitchen counters will be maple butcher block with a clear finish. The backsplash will be beadboard painted light blue. We will be using stainless appliances, which look fantastic with white cabinets. I am hoping to get a cast iron apron front sink ($$$) for the kitchen and use a toile patterned curtain underneath in place of a standard cabinet. We collect antiques and I also have some rooster decorations to use in the kitchen. We will use a jet tub in the master bath, which is modern, but we will install a white subway tile surround which keeps it vintage. The key is to keep things historically correct rather than kitchy. Hope this helps!
Jake

Mckeesport, PA

#23 Aug 23, 2009
I think I understand what your talking about. In any farmhouse the kitchen is truely the heart of the home and you should do your best to keep that in country style. I think this is a good option for your farmhouse kitchen.
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Decorating Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fall decor forecast: eclectic, with personality (Sep '13) Thu justin 6
Interior Designer Ariel Ashe Invites Us In To H... Mar 4 michael 2
Kitchen renovation adds space, improves traffic... (Apr '14) Mar 4 trevordd12 7
Free Interior Decorating Advice (Oct '06) Feb 26 luca 160
How to choose artwork for this blue wall? Feb 23 unreall_23 1
Interior design ideas (May '12) Feb 16 Trevor 8
Home decor Options (Jun '11) Feb 16 Patrcia 18
More from around the web